Gay DC Superhero - Part 1

maybe sam rigged the train crash to kill alan

first gay comics villain?

Pied Piper's already a gay villain. His Defiant Ones impression with Trickster a few years back was a treat.

Piper's barely a villain, if at all. Dude's been reformed for like 25 years.

I haven't heard of this until today.

My only opinion on the matter is this:
If a character was intended to be gay from beginning - such as John Byrne hinted Northstar to be - then he/she should be gay.

If the character was not intended so, it shouldn't be. To do such a retcon on a nearly 70-year old character is just a silly marketing stunt. Didn't the original GL have a daughter until recently btw?

If anything, all these retcons of characters that I grew up with makes it impossible for an old (37 yrs) reader like to relate to the characters.

To change their origin, or kill them off (and have them return (but virtually unrecognizable)), turn them into cripples, cyborgs, gay, or have them change color or gender, it's just pointless.

If a writer or artist (or publisher) is not that keen on a certain character, and feels that the character should be changed completely for it to be worth writing . . . well, then perhaps that writer or artist should just create an entirely new character and let him/her be exactly what that person would want the character to be. It's that simple.

I don't see these stunts as creative reimagenings, or reinventions, or deconstructions or whatever the f*** they want to call them. It's just violations of well established characters.

There is such a diversity amang these characters. Any ethnic background, any sexual orientation is represented, which is just fine -as long as it was in that character's makeup to begin with. It's making me dizzy with all these pointless changes, which are then reverted back to the point of origin, but not quite. . . and .. . and . . and.

I have given up following these stories, and mostly just read the older stuff from the 70's and 80's, or stick to "humor"-comics and one-off graphic novels, but sometimes I buy a superhero comic book - which I thought I knew so well, but apparently I don't, beacuse there's very little left of what I knew except the name. Characters can, and should, evolve, but the evolution has to be in sync with the original concept. Otherwise it's not an evolution, but a change so drastic that it is essentially a violation.

I have always felt that there was an irony in there that when comics started to ditch the children and aim for an older audience, it started a trend toward the stupid and moronic (culminating with those founding Image-boys).

Just a grumpy old man's opinion.

Last edited:
He's gay now cuz his gay son no longer exists.

:csad:

Don't even joke about that

I really hope he'll be alright and not killed off or comatose or something

Maybe Alan's powers will save him :)

:csad:

Don't even joke about that

I really hope he'll be alright and not killed off or comatose or something

Maybe Alan's powers will save him :)

He was in like 3 pages. Alan'll find someone else who isn't exploded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"