General PC Discussion

Iceman

Daffy Duck Vs The Joker
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really see a thread to discuss the PC platform itself like there is for wii U, PS4 & XB1. I'm totally new to pc gaming (apart from the Amiga in the 90s :woot:) and have a lot of general things I want to talk about not directly related to specific games. Hopefully this thread is justified or if there is something similar please direct me there!

This is my current setup:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gamin...Quad-Core+Next+Day+Gaming+PC+?productId=53182
Gladiator GTX-3770 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core Next Day Gaming PC

I haven't got too ambitious yet and have mainly been playing older games on which it's a ton of fun turning every graphical setting up to the max and the game still runs totally smoothly! Makes me see them in a totally new light.

What would be a good demo game to showcase how good pc graphics are to a non-gaming friend?

There doesn't seem to be very many PC gamers "eager" to discuss it. :p

Yeah :csad:

Maybe more will get involved once next gen gets going as I think the new consoles will finally push pc gaming much nearer its real capabilities. Recommended specs for games like Watchdogs & even CoD Ghosts are much higher than they've been for recent games.

Here is the PC I have coming to my door next week:

Intel Core i5-4570 3.2Ghz Quad Core
8 GigaBytes (4x2) Memory
Nvidia GTx 550Ti (Swapping into from old pc need to buy new one in a few months)
3 500GB SATA Hard drives

Not the best but what I can afford :(

Here is the PC I have coming to my door next week:

Intel Core i5-4570 3.2Ghz Quad Core
8 GigaBytes (4x2) Memory
Nvidia GTx 550Ti (Swapping into from old pc need to buy new one in a few months)
3 500GB SATA Hard drives

Not the best but what I can afford :(
Sorry missed this. Congrats! I guess it's arrived by now. What games did you try on it and how did they run?

So far...
Borderlands 2
Remember Me
State of Decay.

They all run really well so far on high settings.

Big PC Gamer here, despite that I don't toss a lot of money into a new desktop except every few years, as it's easier on the wallet just got a descent one that gets me by at that rate.

That's pretty good, man. I'm very, very similar in my system specs to despite that I have 32 Gigs of RAM and 2 Tera's. The reason why I have that much is I do a lot of photo editing and it eats up the RAM.

I'm just kinda waiting to see if the new consoles will push hardware or more innovation, for there is a lot of good indie games, but no real big budget as of late that try to push that envelope even further. I could be wrong, tho.

Does anyone have a favorite site to download Games/Apps for Windows 8?

So far...
Borderlands 2
Remember Me
State of Decay.

They all run really well so far on high settings.
Nice. I want to see if Borderlands 2 looks much different on my pc.

Big PC Gamer here, despite that I don't toss a lot of money into a new desktop except every few years, as it's easier on the wallet just got a descent one that gets me by at that rate.

That's pretty good, man. I'm very, very similar in my system specs to despite that I have 32 Gigs of RAM and 2 Tera's. The reason why I have that much is I do a lot of photo editing and it eats up the RAM.

I'm just kinda waiting to see if the new consoles will push hardware or more innovation, for there is a lot of good indie games, but no real big budget as of late that try to push that envelope even further. I could be wrong, tho.
Yeah, I can upgrade to 32 GB and was thinking of doing it but don't think it would make much difference at the moment. That pc is for games only for now, maybe I need to look into photo/video editing to justify it.:woot:

If I'd known how much I was going to like pc gaming I'd have spent a lot more. The next system I get when my mac (that I do all my non gaming pc stuff on) dies will be a beast. I've noticed the recommended and ultra specs of many newer games have suddenly shot up as this new gen starts so it's looking much better for utilising all the extra power.

Does anyone have a favorite site to download Games/Apps for Windows 8?
I download Windows 8 games from the Windows 8 games tile (don't know if it's actually called that) which has the W8 store and came on my original dashboard. Do you have that?

Nice. I want to see if Borderlands 2 looks much different on my pc.

Yeah, I can upgrade to 32 GB and was thinking of doing it but don't think it would make much difference at the moment. That pc is for games only for now, maybe I need to look into photo/video editing to justify it.:woot:

If I'd known how much I was going to like pc gaming I'd have spent a lot more. The next system I get when my mac (that I do all my non gaming pc stuff on) dies will be a beast. I've noticed the recommended and ultra specs of many newer games have suddenly shot up as this new gen starts so it's looking much better for utilising all the extra power.

I download Windows 8 games from the Windows 8 games tile (don't know if it's actually called that) which has the W8 store and came on my original dashboard. Do you have that?
it's called the STORE Tile/Key, was just wondering if there was anywhere ELSE people go. I would really like the Thor Dark world app but I don't have a card and you need a card to REGISTER on I-tunes and everywhere else like those sites even for FREE games

it's called the STORE Tile/Key, was just wondering if there was anywhere ELSE people go. I would really like the Thor Dark world app but I don't have a card and you need a card to REGISTER on I-tunes and everywhere else like those sites even for FREE games
Right. Yeah I hate having to register for EVERYTHING nowadays. What does the Thor app do? Might be interested in that. I haven't jumped in that deep on Windows apps yet as that pc is just for gaming at the moment and doesn't even get switched on unless I'm actively playing something. At least it should stop it picking up viruses for a while.

I have a few pc games that I've finished that I want to sell but they have one time DRM authorisation codes. Does that mean I won't really be able to sell them as they won't work for someone else or can they get a new code from somewhere?

Yes, there are ways they could get around that, but if they wanted to go that route they may as well just pirate the games.

So in other words I won't really be able to sell these? I thought there might be a legitimate way of getting new codes. I normally keep my games but these have the dreaded GFWL attached and I don't know if they'll even work after June 2014.

Right. Yeah I hate having to register for EVERYTHING nowadays. What does the Thor app do? Might be interested in that. I haven't jumped in that deep on Windows apps yet as that pc is just for gaming at the moment and doesn't even get switched on unless I'm actively playing something. At least it should stop it picking up viruses for a while.
There's a Dark World GAME for I-pods and touch pads and SUPPOSED to be downloadable to pcs too but for being FREE game they still want the card. :csad:

There's a Dark World GAME for I-pods and touch pads and SUPPOSED to be downloadable to pcs too but for being FREE game they still want the card. :csad:
Just saw Thor today and liked it. Would probably be interested in that but yeah, seems there's never anything free with no strings attached.

So I'm thinking about building a budget-friendly, gaming HTPC for my room. I just need to know if these specs look good:

CPU: AMD FX-4300
GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX-950 SC+
PSU: SENTEY 725W
ROM: WESTERN DIGITAL BLUE 1TB HDD
RAM: CRUCUAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB
PCB: GIGABYTE AM3+

AMD Radeon R7 M260 or Intel HD Graphics 5500

I have the two cards on my Laptop :sly: what one is better :sly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads