General PC Discussion

Thinking about getting a Dell Percision 5500 with Ubuntu or KDE Neon on it or a System 76 Gazelle. OR a Surface Book. @geetard or @DKDetective talk me out of this.

I just don't get why MS split Action Center and Quick Settings? It's like when they separated Search/Cortana and the Start Menu. They seem like steps backwards rather than forward.

What's the point of the Xbox Console Companion app? I tried to use it and it prompted me to download the Xbox GamePass app instead.

Probably the former app to play Game Pass games on PC.

The only app to bother installing is the Xbox app when you are subscribed to GP. Personally, I always uninstall the app whenever my subscription ends.

Probably the former app to play Game Pass games on PC.

The only app to bother installing is the Xbox app when you are subscribed to GP. Personally, I always uninstall the app whenever my subscription ends.
Is it true you can import your Steam/GOG library into it?

Is it true you can import your Steam/GOG library into it?
I don't remember any option to import your Steam/GOG/whatever games to the Xbox app.

I believe it's only for Game Pass and games you buy through the MS store.

I don't remember any option to import your Steam/GOG/whatever games to the Xbox app.

I believe it's only for Game Pass and games you buy through the MS store.
Oh I figured it out. You can add your games installed on your PC from Steam to the Xbox app library and launch it from there.

Should I wait on for graphic card prices to go down or should I just settle on finding previous generation cards on eBay?

I'm about to throw in the towel and buy an Alienware Aurora R12 with this configuration:

Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
Radeon RX6800 or Nvidia GTX 2080 or 1660ti

Also looking at HP Omen.

@geetard or @DKDetective?

You do miss a bit of context when visiting threads from the 'new posts' section. Was not expecting advice on personal computers!

Should I wait on for graphic card prices to go down or should I just settle on finding previous generation cards on eBay?

I'm about to throw in the towel and buy an Alienware Aurora R12 with this configuration:

Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
Radeon RX6800 or Nvidia GTX 2080 or 1660ti

Also looking at HP Omen.

@geetard or @DKDetective?
Unfortunately there's no way to know what the future holds for GPU prices.

You could buy a second-hand GPU. Be careful though, due to demand, some old GPUs have inflated prices. Also, some (many?) pre-owned GPUs could have been used in mining rigs and they are ticking time bombs.

If you're going with that Alienware (I'm not a fan of them and that case is ugly :oldrazz:), the 1660 Ti is the weakest of the three while the 6800 is the better one. As all thing Dell computers, they can be a hassle to open and access the internals so check some unboxing videos on YT and see if it's easy enough for you in case you want to add another storage drive or more RAM. Speaking of RAM, on the Canadian website, it mentions single-channel 16 GB so that means either one stick and not 2x8 GB. Preferably, the latter is better. If it is indeed 2x8, then you should be able to change the config to use dual channel.

As for gaming laptops, as usual, do not expect the GPU to perform as well as the desktop equivalent. For example, I see the Omen can come with the RTX 3070 but it will perform closer to a desktop RTX 2060 (rough estimation).

Unfortunately there's no way to know what the future holds for GPU prices.

You could buy a second-hand GPU. Be careful though, due to demand, some old GPUs have inflated prices. Also, some (many?) pre-owned GPUs could have been used in mining rigs and they are ticking time bombs.

If you're going with that Alienware (I'm not a fan of them and that case is ugly :oldrazz:), the 1660 Ti is the weakest of the three while the 6800 is the better one. As all thing Dell computers, they can be a hassle to open and access the internals so check some unboxing videos on YT and see if it's easy enough for you in case you want to add another storage drive or more RAM. Speaking of RAM, on the Canadian website, it mentions single-channel 16 GB so that means either one stick and not 2x8 GB. Preferably, the latter is better. If it is indeed 2x8, then you should be able to change the config to use dual channel.

As for gaming laptops, as usual, do not expect the GPU to perform as well as the desktop equivalent. For example, I see the Omen can come with the RTX 3070 but it will perform closer to a desktop RTX 2060 (rough estimation).
Yeah these are what I'm looking at right now. I think the Alienware case is giving me PS5 vibes and that's the new trend for gaming this generation.

Alienware Aurora R12 Gaming Desktop | Dell USA

OMEN 25L Desktop GT12-0225qd (7WM47AV_1) (hp.com)

OMEN 30L Desktop GT13-0255st (1A226AV_1) (hp.com)

Configure Your System | MILLENNIUM | ORIGIN PC

The Aurora is of course much more expensive of the first three. Amazon has CyberPowerPC ones, but I'm not familiar with the brand. I already have an HP Omen Pro, but it has Quadro graphics instead of the GTX GPU. It still can handle 1080 and 720 on low though. :hehe:

This will be replacing a media PC I built for gaming, streaming, and movies. It has the same horsepower of a Xbox One and PS4. I built it before the Pro and X came out.

Should I settle on an i5 instead of the i7?

Yeah these are what I'm looking at right now. I think the Alienware case is giving me PS5 vibes and that's the new trend for gaming this generation.

Alienware Aurora R12 Gaming Desktop | Dell USA

OMEN 25L Desktop GT12-0225qd (7WM47AV_1) (hp.com)

OMEN 30L Desktop GT13-0255st (1A226AV_1) (hp.com)

Configure Your System | MILLENNIUM | ORIGIN PC

The Aurora is of course much more expensive of the first three. Amazon has CyberPowerPC ones, but I'm not familiar with the brand. I already have an HP Omen Pro, but it has Quadro graphics instead of the GTX GPU. It still can handle 1080 and 720 on low though. :hehe:

This will be replacing a media PC I built for gaming, streaming, and movies. It has the same horsepower of a Xbox One and PS4. I built it before the Pro and X came out.

Should I settle on an i5 instead of the i7?

CyberPowerPC is apparently crap (check reviews on Youtube).
Alienware doesn't worth the price if you ask me but that's only my opinion. Too expensive for what you got.

Honestly, if you have this kind of money to invest in a new PC, find a good PC assembler in the US (assuming you're from the US), pick up the parts yourself and ask for it to be build like you did for the Origin PC.
The issue can be the availability of GPU.

Example: NZXT makes good custom build and their cases look nice.
Quick setup (can be optimized but that gives you an idea) :
Expensive, beafy CPU https://nzxt.com/build/c7f88b8d-9f11-41bd-ada2-df4cfcb2341f/summary
Less expensive: https://nzxt.com/build/c7f88b8d-9f11-41bd-ada2-df4cfcb2341f/summary
If the links don't work, hit "BACK" on the web page.

As for the CPU, it looks like AMD is the way to go now (perf/price ratio).
Intel : I5 or i7 depends on what you want to do with your PC. Looks for feedbacks on that.
GPU: Nvidia I would say.
As someone else said before: 2x8GB RAM, no one stick.

No need to go over kill with the hardware if you're not an heavy gamer or want your games to run at max resolution with max frame rate or do things that require a lof of CPU power.

They are many good youtube channels that can help you:
Gamers Nexus
Linus Tech Tips
Greg Salazar
JayzTwoCents

The OMENs don't look too bad and the components used aren't crap but the motherboard brand and model isn't specified (or I missed it).

Last edited:
CyberPowerPC is apparently crap (check reviews on Youtube).
Alienware doesn't worth the price if you ask me but that's only my opinion. Too expensive for what you got.

Honestly, if you have this kind of money to invest in a new PC, find a good PC assembler in the US (assuming you're from the US), pick up the parts yourself and ask for it to be build like you did for the Origin PC.
The issue can be the availability of GPU.

Example: NZXT makes good custom build and their cases look nice.
Quick setup (can be optimized but that gives you an idea) :
Expensive, beafy CPU https://nzxt.com/build/c7f88b8d-9f11-41bd-ada2-df4cfcb2341f/summary
Less expensive: https://nzxt.com/build/c7f88b8d-9f11-41bd-ada2-df4cfcb2341f/summary
If the links don't work, hit "BACK" on the web page.

As for the CPU, it looks like AMD is the way to go now (perf/price ratio).
Intel : I5 or i7 depends on what you want to do with your PC. Looks for feedbacks on that.
GPU: Nvidia I would say.
As someone else said before: 2x8GB RAM, no one stick.

No need to go over kill with the hardware if you're not an heavy gamer or want your games to run at max resolution with max frame rate or do things that require a lof of CPU power.

They are many good youtube channels that can help you:
Gamers Nexus
Linus Tech Tips
Greg Salazar
JayzTwoCents

The OMENs don't look too bad and the components used aren't crap but the motherboard brand and model isn't specified (or I missed it).
I've already built my own before I used Linus and Austin for help. The issue is the components are far too expensive to upgrade my current PC. I did the math. To upgrade the chipset, Mobo, GPU, and RAM will get me to about $2300 with current market prices. At that point, a pre-built system or boutique PC manufacturer seem to make the most sense to me.

I almost bought my CPU/Mobo from NZXT years ago and I decided to go the Amazon route cause it was cheaper with free shipping. I tried to make a build with their tool and they tried to force me to get a monitor and keyboard before I could go to the shopping cart with it. I don't really need those since I already have them.

I've already built my own before I used Linus and Austin for help. The issue is the components are far too expensive to upgrade my current PC. I did the math. To upgrade the chipset, Mobo, GPU, and RAM will get me to about $2300 with current market prices. At that point, a pre-built system or boutique PC manufacturer seem to make the most sense to me.

I almost bought my CPU/Mobo from NZXT years ago and I decided to go the Amazon route cause it was cheaper with free shipping. I tried to make a build with their tool and they tried to force me to get a monitor and keyboard before I could go to the shopping cart with it. I don't really need those since I already have them.

I had no issue with making an NZXT build, no forcing anything and the "less expensive" one I linked is USD 2000.
NZXT was just an example anyway.
AFAIC, I would not trust any PC above USD 1000 from Amazone.
They're must be good PC assemblers in the US beside NZXT, are they not ?

Edit: if I were you, I would wait for the GPU shortage to end or slow down unless you really really need a new PC. That's what I do..wait :)

Last edited:
Another example. That's the rig I wanted to buy (PC assembler).

RTX 3600 MSI V2 minus the GPU which was an MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X at around 700€
  • 1 x AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • 1 x Ballistix Noir - 2 x 8 Go (16 Go) - DDR4 3200 MHz - CL16
  • 1 x MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA
  • 1 x Western Digital WD Blue - 4 To - 256 Mo (for movies)
  • 1 x Fractal Design Define Mini C Black TG
  • 1 x Fractal Design Ion Gold 650W - Gold
  • 1 x Kingston A400 - 480 Go (for games but as Linus Tech Tips said, the difference between an HDD and SDD is hardly noticeable for gaming but an SDD make no noise)
  • 1 x Samsung 980 Pro - 250 Go (for the OS)
Total : 1 349€40 (assembled+Windows licence+Windows installation)
With the RTX 3060 : 2000€ and that is with French taxes. I'm sure that you can find something similar in the US at a lower price because no taxes, TVA etc.

Last edited:
Another example. That's the rig I wanted to buy (PC assembler).

RTX 3600 MSI V2 minus the GPU which was an MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X at around 700€
  • 1 x AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • 1 x Ballistix Noir - 2 x 8 Go (16 Go) - DDR4 3200 MHz - CL16
  • 1 x MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA
  • 1 x Western Digital WD Blue - 4 To - 256 Mo (for movies)
  • 1 x Fractal Design Define Mini C Black TG
  • 1 x Fractal Design Ion Gold 650W - Gold
  • 1 x Kingston A400 - 480 Go (for games but as Linus Tech Tips said, the difference between an HDD and SDD is hardly noticeable for gaming but an SDD make no noise)
  • 1 x Samsung 980 Pro - 250 Go (for the OS)
Total : 1 349€40 (assembled+Windows licence+Windows installation)
With the RTX 3060 : 2000€ and that is with French taxes. I'm sure that you can find something similar in the US at a lower price because no taxes, TVA etc.
Okay I used PC Partpicker for a refresher on the parts I need for my upgrade... $1354 and I kinda cheaped out on a few things like opting for a Core i5/GTX 3060. a

System Builder - Core i5-11600K 3.9 GHz 6-Core, GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC - PCPartPicker

Intel - $1355

System Builder - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core, Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB Red Devil - PCPartPicker

AMD - $1340

System Builder - Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core, GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB DUAL OC - PCPartPicker

This one with an older Intel Core i7 and 3070 is $1584.

System Builder - Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core, Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB PULSE - PCPartPicker

This one is $1480.

The hyperlinks to the builds did not paste correctly.

If you are going to multi-task with the PC, I'd go with 8 cores because they will definitely help if you do video re-encoding (e.g. backing up your Blu-ray collection), although 6 cores are a sweet spot. Since you are a Linux user, bear in mind the GPU drivers between AMD and Nvidia. Last time I checked, the Nvidia drivers are not well liked among the Linux community. :hehe:

Like @Monsieur Xavier said, when it comes to GPUs Nvidia is king. If you want performance/price ratio, then AMD is the way especially for the CPU. Another thing to consider, Intel's CPUs with K suffix do not offer a cooler. The 3700X and 3800X both include a decent cooler so you can still buy an aftermarket one months later. Also, they are both 7nm so they are smaller than Intel's (14nm) so less heat/more energy efficient if you care about that.

Between the 3700X and 3800X, the former is the better deal:
UserBenchmark: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X vs 3800X

11600K vs 10700K, the former is better (also more recent):
UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-11600K vs i7-10700K

The 11600K is apparently the winner against the 3700X:
UserBenchmark: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X vs Intel Core i5-11600K

The hyperlinks to the builds did not paste correctly.

If you are going to multi-task with the PC, I'd go with 8 cores because they will definitely help if you do video re-encoding (e.g. backing up your Blu-ray collection), although 6 cores are a sweet spot. Since you are a Linux user, bear in mind the GPU drivers between AMD and Nvidia. Last time I checked, the Nvidia drivers are not well liked among the Linux community. :hehe:

Like @Monsieur Xavier said, when it comes to GPUs Nvidia is king. If you want performance/price ratio, then AMD is the way especially for the CPU. Another thing to consider, Intel's CPUs with K suffix do not offer a cooler. The 3700X and 3800X both include a decent cooler so you can still buy an aftermarket one months later. Also, they are both 7nm so they are smaller than Intel's (14nm) so less heat/more energy efficient if you care about that.

Between the 3700X and 3800X, the former is the better deal:
UserBenchmark: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X vs 3800X

11600K vs 10700K, the former is better (also more recent):
UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-11600K vs i7-10700K

The 11600K is apparently the winner against the 3700X:
UserBenchmark: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X vs Intel Core i5-11600K
Thanks for this. I discovered after posting that the links broke. At least the parts were still listed in the link text. So the i5-11600K with a GTX-3060 or 3070 would be the sweet spot. I'm not a Blu Ray person. I never caught on with the format and just jumped from DVD to HD streaming.

Did a quick Amazon spree and I see the build will cost me $1700.01 after S&H and taxes.

Had GPU prices stayed as intended it would have been 1,054.84.

BTW, if you don't intend to dabble in overclocking, no need for an Intel K CPU. You can save a few bucks with a standard one.
I may have to the K CPUs are out of stock.

Or get an AMD X if you want to mess with OC but it looks like you don't like AMD CPU :)
Edit: OC is over rated anyway or at least for the common user or so I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"