The Force Awakens General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - - - - Part 53

It doesn't sound like he was upset. Sounds like he was only hesitant about it when he didn't know the details and the context for why Luke being missing mattered and he was worried it was going to be handled poorly. Abrams gave him the reasoning for it and reassured him so I doubt he was upset after that. Sure, he would have no doubt liked to have more screen time like any actor does, but that doesn't mean he was mad about it. Hopefully he cares more about what's best for the film.

That seem to be the very kind of person Hamill is.:cwink:

He wasn't upset at all.

Behind the Magic: The Visual Effects of Star Wars: The Force Awakens

[YT]HgzxrwXHCoU[/YT]

How did Rey know who Darth Vader was? I don't think Vader was a public figure people knew and it was like 30 years ago.

Vader was public. He was the equivlant of Hitler or Himmler today. Even Leia reconized him right away in ANH:

"Darth Vader only you could be so bold..."

She clearly knew who he was and in the canon comics and books it's no secret who he was. He was the public face of fear for the Emperor himself, the enforcer that everyone knew and feared. And after all the war his mythology probably only grew.

So I'm sure Rey knew about him as she knew about Luke (thinking they are myths) and also she is reading and intertwined with Kylo's mind when she says that. And he knows who he is.

I wish the movies would have make that more clear. I was really suprised when Rey said his name.

It is unclear if Rey knew who Vader was. The new canon seems to support the idea that Vader was a bit of a ghost during his time in the suit, but known a bit after. Would that reach her on Jakku? No idea.

However, Rey didn't need to know who Vader was for her to use his name. Because she could feel Kylo's fear and feelings regarding Vader, which is what she used.

Last edited:
Rey mentions knowing Jakku gossip about Palpatine in Rey's Survival Guide...I don't remember off hand anything about Vader though, oddly enough.

Well, I can't share the link here but there's a new Mr. Plinkett review of The Force Awakens.

Watching it now. Was all set to blast through these last two episodes of Stranger Things, but that can wait.

Kind of shocked he made one, since he actually liked TFA. But I was shocked, almost 85% of this TFA review is just about the prequels again. Which was odd. The things he went into TFA were not really akin to the PT ones, he kind of just goes into the obvious that this was a safer film. It felt like him adding more to his PT reviews then throwing in a little about TFA at the end.

I think he had just been waiting to talk about these rising "prequel defenses" and couldn't find another legitimate reason to make a video about that.

I think so. The thing is what he does talk about TFA is the obvious, and does the typical I don't like Hollywood, but then likes TFA. But the majority of it was just him hitting back at the PT. I think it was obvious he did not really have a lot of material for this one.

Kind of reminds me of when Rifftrax did their stuff to actually good films, it was just not as good or funny. Like Plinkett's ST09 review where he really likes the film but tries to do his Plinkett thing on it really did not work.

I dunno, I quite liked Rifftrax's take on films like The Dark Knight as much as I did lesser films like Daredevil or Matrix Reloaded.

See I did not. I did not like the TDK riffs Avengers, LOTOR. The jokes just don't seem to be as funny as they do with really bad films. Here it's kind of the same thing.

Yeah it was not that great.

I mean it was all over the place. More than half of it was just him pushing back at his critics about his PT reviews. Then he goes into cinematic universes and how he does not like them for a chunk. Then he goes into the obvious things that people have pointed out about TFA that even Helen Keller saw. Yes we know the plot points are close to ANH (though many ignore all the new in it too but we've had that discussion before).

Then at the end he admits he actually likes The Force Awakens, and enjoyed the film.

So to me it felt like he used the review angle so he could hit back to his critics about his previous reviews. It really showed that besides the it's kind of like ANH there is not really much one can go off on with the film. And it showed in his review lacking substance and spending the majority of the time talking about something completely unrelated. It just felt so uneven especially at the end saying "Yeah I actually liked the film."

I did not care for his reviews outside of the PT and a few of the TNG film reviews.

Yeah it was not that great.

I mean it was all over the place. More than half of it was just him pushing back at his critics about his PT reviews. Then he goes into cinematic universes and how he does not like them for a chunk. Then he goes into the obvious things that people have pointed out about TFA that even Helen Keller saw. Yes we know the plot points are close to ANH (though many ignore all the new in it too but we've had that discussion before).

Then at the end he admits he actually likes The Force Awakens, and enjoyed the film.

So to me it felt like he used the review angle so he could hit back to his critics about his previous reviews. It really showed that besides the it's kind of like ANH there is not really much one can go off on with the film. And it showed in his review lacking substance and spending the majority of the time talking about something completely unrelated. It just felt so uneven especially at the end saying "Yeah I actually liked the film."

I did not care for his reviews outside of the PT and a few of the TNG film reviews.

I actually think his Titanic review is the best one he's ever done.

I wonder if Kylo would come face to face with his mother Leia? If he does then I wonder if he would kill her just like he did his father Han?

I don't get why he felt the need to bring up the diversity thing. So, he admits that what Disney did and is doing to diversify the universe is great, but it's not needed anyway because kids don't really care? Says who? I'm pretty sure little girls and kids of color do care... unconsciously maybe, but they do.

"Social commentary was more of a Star Trek thing anyway"... wtf. What does that have to do with anything? What did I miss.

I think Mike Stoklasa is great but this review was not a good moment for him.

It's a weird criticism, but I think the main point was in regards to Disney's intentions behind it, mainly to cash in on a perceived concern of the audience rather than for any altruistic reason. But it's really a nonissue because the cast is great and the diversity is something that does legitimately deserve kudos, regardless if there was any soulless, greed-driven machinations behind it.

On the whole, I think there were some good points discussed in the review, ones about the larger state of Star Wars as a giant corporate entity and the internet's relationship with it. Things that are worth examining, particularly from someone who had a hand in its propagation. It's very important to always remember that for as good as the films might be and as good as the creative choices seem to be, Disney is still one of the world's largest businesses and desires nothing besides getting you to buy their products in perpetuity forever. On the other hand, Star Wars has always been a commercial behemoth. I don't think it's been fundamentally changed so much as been made larger.

With TFA itself, it's more of a mixed bag. Some points, good or bad, where right on the money and some weren't. The lack of sex, for instance, is kind of odd to me. I get that it can be used to easily inject humanity and sympathy with the characters, as it was in the OT, but I don't think it's always a necessary prerequisite and I didn't think it was needed in this film. I bought Finn and Rey's friendship because of their chemistry as friends, same with Finn and Poe. They were engaging and human characters because of their humor, rapport, and the fact that they spoke and acted like actual people. They certainly were not boring.

It's a diverse movie but the black guy better stay away from the white girl's lips. I guess that was his point. Also the female stormtrooper's job is to stay in the background and keep the mask and heavy armor on and obscure the fact that she's female. I guess this is what Stoklasa is getting at, he feels that it's kinda fake diversity.

It's a weird criticism, but I think the main point was in regards to Disney's intentions behind it, mainly to cash in on a perceived concern of the audience rather than for any altruistic reason. But it's really a nonissue because the cast is great and the diversity is something that does legitimately deserve kudos, regardless if there was any soulless, greed-driven machinations behind it.

On the whole, I think there were some good points discussed in the review, ones about the larger state of Star Wars as a giant corporate entity and the internet's relationship with it. Things that are worth examining, particularly from someone who had a hand in its propagation. It's very important to always remember that for as good as the films might be and as good as the creative choices seem to be, Disney is still one of the world's largest businesses and desires nothing besides getting you to buy their products in perpetuity forever. On the other hand, Star Wars has always been a commercial behemoth. I don't think it's been fundamentally changed so much as been made larger.

With TFA itself, it's more of a mixed bag. Some points, good or bad, where right on the money and some weren't. The lack of sex, for instance, is kind of odd to me. I get that it can be used to easily inject humanity and sympathy with the characters, as it was in the OT, but I don't think it's always a necessary prerequisite and I didn't think it was needed in this film. I bought Finn and Rey's friendship because of their chemistry as friends, same with Finn and Poe. They were engaging and human characters because of their humor, rapport, and the fact that they spoke and acted like actual people. They certainly were not boring.
The obvious problem with such a point is they hired JJ, and one of JJ's strongest points is casting. I don't think Disney was all that involved with that point. That would of been a JJ and his people thing.

The obvious problem with such a point is they hired JJ, and one of JJ's strongest points is casting. I don't think Disney was all that involved with that point. That would of been a JJ and his people thing.

My thoughts aswell. Also never felt that the casting of both TFA and Rogue One was forced to be diverse for the sake of it, I think both have great casting not because of the colour of their skin but because they're very good actors.

It begs the question of who are Rey's parents because I had to watch and rewatch The Force Awakens and seeing her Force vision in flashback sequence on top of her abilities that she has she has to be the daughter of a Jedi

How else was she able to hold her own against Kylo Ren with no Force training whatsoever? How else is she able to be a great fighter pilot with probably no flying experience? How was she able to get Kylo Ren out of her head blocking him out when he was trying to use the Force to interrogate her? I am telling you she has to be the daughter of or a descendant of a Jedi

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"