Godzilla: Monster World

Gabe99

Sidekick
Reaction score
From MTV:
NYCC 2010: MTV Splash Page At New York Comic Con!
Rick Marshall said:
- Friday will also feature a pair of exclusive debuts from the comics world, as we present the first look at an upcoming prequel comic, and the exclusive announcement of a brand new series that hails from a monstrous corner of the movie world.

Splash Page @ NYCC 2010 EXCLUSIVE: Godzilla Returns To Comics... And He's Not Alone!

Official Press Release

The biggest star in motion pictures prepares to wreak havoc once again! IDW Publishing is thrilled to announce a partnership with Toho Co., Ltd. to create all-new GODZILLA comics. Starting in 2011, Godzilla will smash his way back onto the scene with a cast of characters from his films never before seen in comics.

“This new series will be monsters and mayhem, but most importantly, it’s going to be a lot of fun,” said Yukio Kotaki of Toho. “Godzilla has been gone from comics for too long and we feel that IDW is the perfect company to welcome him back in 2011.”

In addition to the King of the Monsters himself, the new comics from IDW Publishing and Toho Co., Ltd. will feature many of Godzilla’s friends and foes, including MOTHRA™, KING GHIDORAH™, RODAN™ and more that have never before been featured in an American comic book series alongside Godzilla. With an impressive cast of monsters both old and new, IDW’s series will treat fans to both familiar themes and original takes on the pop culture legends that have stomped, smashed, and fought their way across movie screens for over five decades.

“Not only is Godzilla known worldwide, he’s loved worldwide, too. Having a film career with more than 25 movies and going on a 56-year span pretty much solidifies you as a legend, and IDW is really looking forward to contributing to that legacy,” said Chris Ryall, Chief Creative Officer and Editor-in Chief for IDW Publishing. “We wanted Godzilla to return to comics, but this time we wanted him to have some company. I think fans will be pleased with the monster guest appearances, which will really offer something for every fan of these films. There are the classic characters, but there are also a few surprises, too.”

Debuting in February 2011, fans can expect to see a number of unique storylines from some of the industry’s top creators.

Visit IDWPublishing.com to learn more about the company and its top-selling books.

From Kaiju Cast:
10.08.2010: Godzilla’s Triumphant Return to Sequential Art
Truly fantastic news from New York has hit the ‘net this morning: IDW Publishing has just announced at New York City Comic Con that they have acquired the rights to produce Godzilla comics starting in 2011.

Fans should prepare themselves for more than just a giant radioactive dinosaur stomping through the pages of this new series, which is slated to begin showing up in your local comic book shop in February of next year. Not only has IDW worked closely with Toho to secure permission to bring back Godzilla, they’ve also gotten permission to use the following giant beasts in their upcoming books!

• Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, Rodan, Mechagodzilla, Anguirus, Gigan, Battra, Destoroyah, Hedorah, Space Godzilla, Titanosaurus, Kumonga (aka Spiega)

Exciting news, if you ask me – and I know for a fact that a big Godzilla fan at IDW is working closely with this project.

From Newsarama:
NYCC 2010 - IDW Sneak Peek at 2011 Panel LIVE!
Chris Ryall said:
This our big announcement for the panel: "So we're doing Godzilla." Ryall reveals

Will debut in March 2011, with art and writing by The Goon's Eric Powell

Full title is Godzilla: Monster World.

Ryall explains it as "a league of extraordinary big ass monster stompin' monsters"

correction: "a league of extraordinary big ass CITY stompin' monsters"

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Chris Ryall blog:
Oh my Godzilla
Chris Ryall said:
So I called up Eric Powell to talk about him getting involved with our coming new GODZILLA projects. We talked a bit about what it could be, and the fact that we had access to over a dozen good Toho monsters in addition to the Big G — the first time in comics anyone could use any of these characters.

The whole time, I’m thinking about how perfectly suited Powell’s sensibilities and art would be for this. And trying not to think that, since often the perfect pairing gets derailed due to schedules, being booked up too far out, bad timing, any number of details that can get in the way. He was interested, and would think about it. We hung up. I tried not to get my mind too set on this, to stave off any disappointment in case it didn’t work.

And he’s got a great idea for an ongoing series, GODZILLA: MONSTER WORLD, which he’d be co-writing with Tracy Marsh, as well as painting the series’ covers.

And now GODZILLA: MONSTER WORLD is coming, starting in March. And it’s just the beginning. Hopefully a miniseries written by a recent Eisner- and Harvey-winner will be following closely behind.

Details to follow. And what sweet, destructive details they will be…

Pretty cool, I'm excited about this :up:

I've been a longtime Daikaiju fan. Always have been a fan of the Big G especially. I've read a lot of the Dark Horse Comics, plus I own the compilation of the Marvel comics run which was A LOT of fun. I'm definitly looking forward to this.

I am all about this. I've been a Godzilla fan for as long as I remember, and while the Dark Horse comics were good, I was always disappointed that they didn't really use more of the other monsters as well. IDW does some pretty good licensed stuff, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with Big G.

From IFANBOY:
Employ All Monsters! IDW Announces GODZILLA: MONSTER WORLD!
Paul Montgomery said:
"King Kong aint got nothin' on me!" -- Denzel Washington, emulating Godzilla

After a painfully long absence, the greatest kaiju of all time is returning to comics. This March, IDW is set to unveil Godzilla: Monster World, an all new ongoing comic series starring everybody's favorite radioactive cautionary tail. As the subtitle implies, the King of all Monsters will not be alone. Say goodbye to your favorite public utilities because the skyline is about to be dominated by the likes of Rodan, King Ghidorah, and Mothra, as well as a whole host of giant monsters who've never seen print on American shores.

All this mayhem and destruction comes at the hands of writer Eric Powell (The Goon), Tracy Marsh, and artist Phil Hester! Powell and Alex Ross will each provide a cover for each issue.

All sanctioned by Toho!

Here's what IDW has to say:

"In GODZILLA®: MONSTER WORLD, a full-scale apocalypse is brewing. The monsters are a force of nature whose attacks can be no more predicted or rationalized than a lightning strike. There will be no clean-cut heroes with perfectly chiseled chins and capes billowing in the wind; only ordinary human beings struggling desperately to survive in a world gone mad.

"With an impressive cast of monsters both old and new, IDW’s series will treat fans to both familiar themes and original takes on the pop culture legends that have stomped, smashed, and fought their way across movie screens for over four decades."

That's right. Godzilla gets the R in the circle after His name. Because he's not a businessman. He's a business, man!

While Raymond Burr is no doubt spinning in his grave, this particular kaiju fanatic is ecstatic. Long live the King!

From Splash Page:
New 'Godzilla' Comic Art And Creative Team Revealed
Rick Marshal said:
Back in October, we brought you the exclusive news that Godzilla was returning to comics — and he was bringing a whole mess of monsters with him. Today, IDW Publishing has revealed the creative team that will handle Godzilla's new adventures, and offered up a brand new cover image for the series.

Scripted by "Goon" creator Eric Powell and Tracy Marsh, the newly retitled "Godzilla: Monster World" will feature art by Phil Hester ("Green Arrow," "Firebreather") and painted covers by Powell and Alex Ross. According to IDW, the series unfolds in a world where "the monsters are a force of nature whose attacks can be no more predicted or rationalized than a lightning strike. There will be no clean-cut heroes with perfectly chiseled chins and capes billowing in the wind; only ordinary human beings struggling desperately to survive in a world gone mad."

"Godzilla: Monster World" #1 will hit shelves in March 2011.

From the RyallTime Blog:
Alex Ross does Godzilla
Eric Powell does Godzilla

Why did i not know about this sooner?!

From Newsarama:
Powell Asks: What if GODZILLA Actually Attacked?
Zack Smith said:
Oh no, there goes Tokyo! Yes, the King of the Monsters has returned to comics with IDW’s all-new Godzilla: Monster World series in March 2011. And they’ve got an all-star crew bringing death and destruction – Eric Powell of The Goon co-writing with Tracy Marsh and doing covers, Phil Hester on the art, and Alex Ross doing a special incentive cover.

We got up with Powell and Marsh to talk about their reign of terror – and why this is going to be a Godzilla comic worth reading. He even brought some exclusive Phil Hester art along for the ride. Warning – there might be some saucy language in here.

Newsarama: Eric, Tracy – tell us about the premise of your Godzilla book.

Eric Powell: Well, when first approached by IDW I gave the standard, "Let me think about it and get back to you," with little expectation that I would actually take the job. How do you do a monthly Godzilla book and make it interesting?

All the films follow a certain formula that is not really compatible with a serialized form of storytelling. I thought about how mankind would handle it if giant monsters actually attacked. With our inability to handle big problems like Katrina and the BP oil spill, I thought, “Probably not very well.”

And with that thought, the floodgates opened. Taking the giant monster idea and making it semi-allegorical with a good dose of dark satire... I think Tracy and I plotted about 24 issues in about an hour. We have more ideas than we can fit in an issue.

Godzilla started as an allegory about the nuclear age; I think it's fitting to bring back an updated type of social commentary to the story. And for those worrying that we're gonna attempt to make this too brainy, and we'll have only two pages of monsters in the book, don't worry. I like monsters smacking each other in the face and setting fire to things. There will be lots of monster action.

Nrama: What made you want to come on board for this?

Powell: I love Godzilla, and they said yes to everything I wanted to do. I get work-for-hire offers regularly, but they don't interest me that much. I like working on my own creator-owned material like The Goon, Chimichanga, and Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities.

But when I pitched my idea to IDW, an idea I was convinced they'd say no to, they loved it and I found myself in the rare situation of a work for hire job where I was going to get to do exactly what I wanted to do.

Tracy Marsh: Eric called me one day out of the blue, and I could hear how excited he was over the phone. He really just needed someone to help share the load with brainstorming and writing because his schedule stays so packed.

Even though – and here’s where some people might get antsy – I didn’t grow up a huge Godzilla fan, I was immediately attracted to the prospect of the comic, because it was such a departure from anything I’ve ever written. To me, it sounded like the perfect opportunity to explore a new genre and use my imagination to wreak havoc on paper.

And I loved the allegorical angle Eric was going for. I mean, take a look around; there’s material everywhere. Because I work a regular 8-to-5, though, I was a little concerned that I wouldn’t have enough time to give Eric the help he needed, so I told him I’d think about it overnight... It took me approximately two-and-a-half minutes to come to my senses, call him back, and tell him that, yes, of course I wanted to do it.

Nrama: Godzilla doesn't exactly say a whole heck of a lot in his films other than "RRRAAARRRGH!" Who are the POV characters in this?

Powell:
The people dealing with the situation. It will be a revolving cast. Or really, no set cast. It's all going to be about individual stories in an unbelievable situation. We're taking an approach to the Toho monsters that I don't believe has been done before.

We're making real consequences to their attacks: Monster tramples half of Japan. Guess what. Japan's infrastructure is screwed. No water. No food. Refugees everywhere. This is gonna be monster chaos and it's not gonna be pretty. For anybody.

Nrama: Will we we be seeing classic monsters, new monsters or a combination? Could you describe some of them for us?

Powell:
I'm not going to give too much away yet. But the first monsters are going to be Godzilla, Anguirus, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah. As an homage to the films, Tracy and I are introducing them in the order they appeared on screen.

Nrama: What's your writing collaboration like?

Powell: We've been making it up as we go along a little bit. Tracy is a longtime friend and freelance journalist, who is co-writing a prose humor book about Roller Derby with me that will be coming out in the future from Dark Horse books.

Because I've been wanting to scale back my workload a bit to concentrate on just illustrating The Goon, I knew I would need some assisting on this book to keep my schedule in line. I knew that I could probably get an established comic writer to work on it with me, but I had a very specific vision in mind for this and couldn't see myself saying, "No, we're gonna do this my way," to another comic pro if there was a difference of ideas.

But Tracy I can order around and trade her off for a pack of cigarettes when I'm done like a little prison *****!

Marsh: It’s true. I tried to challenge him once, and he literally threw one of his Eisner Awards at my face.

Powell: I’m kidding! I knew that I could bring Tracy on as an assistant/co-writer and, while contributing a wealth of ideas, she would not be offended if I vetoed something she brought to the table. Tracy also provides a social and pop culture perspective that I myself don't have. It makes for a richer and more complex narrative.

Marsh: The medium is a real challenge for me. I’m used to writing news and feature articles and short fiction, which allow you to be descriptive and, to some extent, wordy. Telling a story with pictures and minimal words is a fine art, and one that Eric has mastered. So I’ve got a lot to learn from him in that respect.

Technically speaking, though, our process is pretty simple. We sat down together and mapped out several issues at once. One of us puts something on paper, and we swap scripts back and forth – editing as we go – until the picture is complete. The hardest part is finding space for all the ideas we have.

Well, that and suddenly being required to refer to Eric as “Mr. Powell” after nearly a decade of friendship. You really think that’s not offensive, Mr. Powell? Pshaw.

Nrama: And what's it like working with Phil Hester? That boy's known for the scribblin's as much as the pretty pictures, has he collaborated with you any on the plot?

Powell: No, he's just drawin' this one. But I just saw some of his pencils and daaaaaamn! I'm excited he was able to do this! Great way to launch the series!

Marsh:
Absolutely! It was so exciting to see Phil’s sketches. He’s bringing it all to life in a big way, and I’m really grateful to be working with him on this.

Nrama: Name your favorite Godzilla movie.

Powell: The first one. Gojira.

Marsh:
Yeah, I agree. I had a lot of catching up to do when I signed on for this project, and Eric gave me the equivalent of a summer reading list...kind of a “here’s what we’re going for, and here’s what we want to avoid” type of thing.

Gojira just did it for me. It’s dark and heavy and raw, which I think has more to do with how and when it was made rather than a conscious decision about artistic direction, but it inspires me more than any other single film when I’m working on our scripts.

Nrama: For that matter, name your favorite Godzilla comic. There ain't a lot, though I dug the Art Adams one and the one where he fought Charles Barkley.

Powell: The Art Adams special where he fights the Daimajin like Samurai.

Nrama: If the Goon fought Godzilla, who would win?

Marsh:
The reader.

Powell: See The Goon #6.

Nrama: Will your series examine why people keep living in Tokyo when it's constantly destroyed by giant monsters?

Powell: No. There's not even a Tokyo to go back to two issues into this thing.

Marsh: I always did wonder about that, though. New Orleans only got wiped out once, and people were seriously debating about whether or not to rebuild it. I guess since people continue to live in California and Kansas even though there are earthquakes and tornadoes, we were expected to believe that people who live in Tokyo just accept monster attacks as part of life.

Either that or Japanese people just love running around waving their hands in the air.

Nrama: You know, you watch those old movies, and it's obvious that the suits are rubber, the buildings are models, and Ghidorah is only flying around because someone's pulling on a harness.

And yet, they're still freakin' awesome. How do you explain this intense psychological attraction viewers have to watching big monsters break stuff?

Powell: Monsters are fun and so is destroying stuff. I recently went to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago and they have about a 50-ft square model of the City of Chicago. All I could think about was what would happen to me if I didn't quell my near uncontrollable urge to jump on the table and start smashing it like Godzilla.

Marsh: Yeah, these monsters are icons. Everybody knows who Godzilla is, no matter where they live or how old they are or what they're into. For some reason, it just resonates. It doesn't matter that those are Matchbox cars or that the scientific explanations make absolutely no sense. It's all just straight-up entertainment.

Nrama: Describe the extent of your Godzilla fandom here.

Marsh: Well, like I said before, I was raised more on My Little Ponies than giant monsters, so I had to come up to speed on Godzilla and his buddies by doing extensive research...and by “research,” I mean watching monster movies in sweats on the couch while mainlining popcorn and Raisinets.

And I’ve definitely become a fan. I changed my ring tone to one of Godzilla's crazy roars, which is awesome when I'm standing in line at the grocery story.

Powell: When I was a kid I had the 2-ft Shogun Warrior Godzilla figure with the shooting fist. I don't think I have to say anything else. (I sadly no longer own that masterpiece of a 1970's toy.)

Nrama:
Further earn the loyalty of hardcore Godzilla fans by offering your..um, perspective on the 1998 film with Matthew Broderick.

Marsh: Actually, that was one of the movies that Eric forbade me to watch when I started researching Godzilla films. What was it you said, Eric? It was either, “That movie will taint the entire Godzilla experience for you,” or “That movie is about as relevant as my taint.”

Powell: Loath is not a strong enough word. I think it was a plot to make the Japanese like us even less.

Nrama:
What's next for you?

Marsh: As Eric already mentioned, I’m helping him write a book about roller derby. When it comes out, I can’t wait to see it sitting all by itself on the “Humor/Self-Help/Erotica/Quasi-Non-Fiction” shelf at Barnes & Noble.

Powell: I'll be writing Godzilla and Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities and drawing The Goon for the foreseeable future.

Nrama: Anything else you'd like to talk about that we haven't discussed yet?

Powell: Yes, Godzilla has a penis but it's kinda hidden like doggy chapstick.

Marsh:
Ah, I’m glad you mentioned that, Eric. “Wadzilla” will become a pretty major plot point around Issue #10.

Godzilla: Monster World attacks in March 2011 from IDW.

Seriously, I've been a Godzilla fan for most of my life. To get a new ongoing, and one that finally features the other monsters from his movies, is unbelievably exciting.

From Ryall Time the Chris Ryall blog:

GODZILLA: KINGDOM OF MONSTERS

Chris Ryall said:
As we head toward the end of 2010 this week, I thought I’d spend the week showing some new art for some of the bigger books we’re excited about for 2011. And they don’t get much bigger than GODZILLA. The Previews catalog with issue 1 of our new series (called Monster World in the ad but will actually now be GODZILLA: KINGDOM OF MONSTERS), showcasing the Powell covers (one of which is a gatefold wraparound image) and the Alex Ross piece, hits stores this week. But what’s not in there is any art by Phil Hester, the series artist. So in honor of the big G’s return to comics in ’11, here’s a look at Hester’s cover for issue 2. Inks by Bruce McCorkindale and colors by Ronda Pattison.

Last edited:
Alex Ross? Alex Ross has drawn something Godzilla-related?

*nerdgasm*

From CBR:
Comic Creators Make Their 2011 Picks
Kiel Phegley said:
Chris Ryall, Editor-in-Chief of IDW

James Stokoe's "Orc Stain:: This Image book hooked me with its amazingly imaginative and detailed art style, and Stokoe (who's the writer/artist/colorist) put together a great story to go with it. I'll admit his visuals are what drew me in but the story kept me.

While they're not necessarily in need of more attention, any new Pantheon releases from Charles Burns and Dan Clowes are a good thing. I just read "X'ed Out," and it intrigued and disturbed me and made me want to see more, which is just what I want from a Burns book, so I'm anxious to see the next chapter. And I'm excited by any new Clowes book, like his coming "Mister Wonderful."

Creators I'm excited to see more from next year are Rafael Grampa, Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire, any damned thing that J.H. Williams III and Zach Howard draw, Nick Spencer (why am I excited about a Jimmy Olsen one-shot? Why?! But I am), Jonathan Ross, Mike Carey, Nick Abadzis, Nick Gurewitch, Tom Beland, Alex Robinson... it's a long list, and this is definitely an incomplete rundown of names. I could go on and on and still leave off names of people I follow. But instead, I'll just mention one more: Mark Torres, who's doing a new "Zombie VS Robots" miniseries with me next year and is poised for greatness based on everything I've seen.

One last thing I'm excited about is from IDW. Well, there's a helluva lot we've got coming that I'm excited about, but I'm trying to keep this above-board and not just use this space for an IDW commercial. But I can't wait to see John Layman and Alberto Ponticelli team up on a "Godzilla" miniseries next year. That's right, I just threw a special announcement into this list of books to look forward to. Separate from the ongoing series we're launching with Powell and Hester, Layman and Ponticelli (along with cover artist Geof Darrow) are going to offer up their own "Godzilla" (And MOTHRA! And...) miniseries. And since "Chew" and "Unknown Soldier" were two of my favorite comics this year, I can't wait to see what they do together on this book.

It's not a self-serving mention if it's an exclusive announcement, right?

Happy new year, CBR!

Oh, damn. Geof Darrow Godzilla covers? Ponticelli interiors? Just when I was trying to cut back on my spending, too...

From Kaijucast 01.13.2011:
Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters (the IDW Interview)
Happy New Year, my dearest listeners! Why on earth is the first episode of 2011 (which is the twenty-fifth episode and available for download right here) online so early? Well that’s the product of my only New Year’s resolution which is -hope you are sitting down- to do TWO EPISODES PER MONTH! I basically wanted to split these episodes up into the interview episode and the Daikaiju Discussion episode for each month. I promise I won’t burn out, since essentially this was what I’m already doing in one big push.

My special guests are from a little comic book company called IDW Publishing. You may have heard of them… they are producing a new series called Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters (note the name change, true believers!). Pictured from left to right in the photo are Chris Ryall: Chief Creative Officer / Editor-in-Chief, Chris Mowry: Senior Graphic Artist / Writer, Carlos Guzman: Assistant Editor, Ongoing and Bobby Curnow: Assistant Editor, Miniseries. They were cool enough to connect with me via the internet and it was a lot of fun to talk to them. A few listeners submitted questions made it into the show, so keep an ear out for that. Speaking of keeping an ear out, here’s what I played in the episode:

From CBR:
Powell and Marsh Enter Godzilla's “Kingdom of Monsters”
Shaun Manning said:
It's been more than fifteen years since the King of Monsters stomped through a major comic book metropolis, but in March the giant green lizard returns in a big way, courtesy of IDW Publishing. The new “Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters” will feature not only the titular big-screen baddie but also a healthy selection from the rest of Toho's bestiary. The creative team behind the book is a monster, as well, with “Goon” creator Eric Powell co-writing with Tracy Marsh and artist Phil Hester bringing it all to life. Powell will also be providing covers to each issue, and “Godzilla” #1 will feature an alternate cover by Alex Ross. CBR News spoke with writers Powell and Marsh about the series and good ol' fashioned carnage.

Before the giant lizard comes to town, the world of “Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters” is one that has never before seen the likes of such creatures. And, Marsh told CBR, “it’s about as prepared to handle the attacks as it was to handle September 11 or the earthquake in Haiti. The results are much the same as they were after those events—everything goes haywire. People are scared, hurt, dead, homeless, in need of resources they can’t get. But in 'Kingdom of Monsters,' it happens over and over. SNAFU!”

Powell added that he and Marsh were keen to look at the effects of a monster invasion beyond the initial ruined architecture and lost lives. “We set out from the very first conversation to look at the premise of giant monster attacks in a more consequential way,” Powell said. “What would really happen if giant monsters popped up? Well, your infrastructure would be screwed. It would be like Katrina and the oil spill times giant frickin' monsters.”

As to who the heroes or point-of-view characters would be, Powell told CBR that “Kingdom of Monsters” would have a revolving cast. “But,” Marsh added, "all the characters’ stories have a common thread, which is trying to cope with the increasingly deteriorating world around them. Instead of following one or two main characters, we wanted to follow the monsters themselves and show glimpses of their effects on lots of different people.”

Godzilla himself, though, will not be a point-of-view character. “We won't be giving Godzilla thought balloons, if that's what you mean,” Powell said.

Asked for their perceptions of who Godzilla is and what he represents, the writers had slightly different takes. “Godzilla was originally an allegory for the nuclear age, and we’re definitely going for a modern-day interpretation of that,” Marsh said. “But readers want to see Godzilla and his buddies eff stuff up. So that’s what they’re gonna get.”

Powell, for his part, said, “To me, he still represents what he represented when I was seven. He's a big giant cool looking monster that breathes fire and smashes buildings. Which is awesome.”

“Luckily, that’s really fun stuff to write, too, so it all works out,” said Marsh.

The writers will waste no time getting to the destruction promised by a title like “Godzilla.” “Like with every story, you have to lay the ground work. Here's what the world was like when it was normal and then... monsters. Things get bad quick and go downhill fast,” Powell told CBR. “I don't want to give too much away, but we've laid in plenty of satire about the world we live in.”

The plural “monsters” may lead readers to assume that other familiar destroyers might be on the way, and such assumptions would be entirely correct. “Yep, we got Rodan, Mothra, Anguirus, King Ghidorah, and more,” Powell said. Asked whether the appearance of so many monsters might lead people to believe the end times are nigh, Marsh said, “We don’t plan to delve too deeply into the characters’ psyches, but, like I said before, we’ll definitely try to show how they’re struggling with the whole Hell-in-a-hand-basket scenario.”

Godzilla is, of course, a universally recognizable character, but Marsh is a fairly recent convert to the monster's lore. “Yeah, I wasn’t really focused on giant monsters as a kid, unless you count the times that my brother chased me around the house with his toy Godzilla that was taller than I was,” she said. “I’ve been watching tons of movies to research the monsters and get into the spirit of things, but I’ve always known who Godzilla is. That’s what I think is so cool about getting the opportunity to work on this comic. EVERYBODY knows Godzilla.”

Powell's experience is somewhat different. “I've been a fan as far back as I can remember. Some of my earliest memories are of watching Godzilla movies that would come on sometimes on Sunday afternoon.”

Even before taking on “Godzilla: King of Monsters” for IDW, Powell's dance card was already quite full with his return to writing and drawing “The Goon.” Yeah, I'm booked up for 2011. I decided to take on Godzilla as my one outside project because I got a good idea on how I thought it should be executed,” he said. “That's what gets me excited about a project. If I'm enthusiastic about the idea.” The time constraints, though, meant he would need some help, and thus Marsh was enlisted. “We're working together on a rollerderby book and I really needed some help to write this book because I didn't want to be drawn away from working on the 'Goon,'” Powell told CBR. “Luckily, Tracy was able to help out.”

“Yeah, and I’m psyched about it,” Marsh said. “Eric and I have known each other for years, and I’d done some small writing jobs for him in the past. But nothing like this. He was so excited about the project when he approached me. His enthusiasm was catching.”

Rounding out the team is artist Phil Hester, known for writing and drawing a slew of comics including “Green Arrow,” “The Irredeemable Ant Man,” “The Darkness,” and “Firebreather,” which was recently adapted into an animated feature. “We’ve seen some of his pages, and they’re incredible,” Marsh said of Hester's work on “Kingdom of Monsters.” “I can’t think of a better way to kick off the series.”

“I was super excited to get Phil for this first arc,” Powell added. “The stuff he's doing looks great. Better than I even imagined.”

From Dread Central:
Cover Art for Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters #2!
Uncle Creepy said:
It was last October during the New York Comic Con that we first got word of IDW's partnership with Toho Co., Ltd., to create all-new Godzilla comics, and now the first two issues - Godzilla: Monster World and Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters - are available for pre-order. Read on for their synopses and to see the cover art.

Godzilla Monster World #1
By: Eric Powell, Tracy Marsh, Phil Hester, Alex Ross
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Pub. Date: March 23, 2011

The King of the Monsters rises again. For the first time in comics, he's bringing lots of other beloved Toho monsters with him in one destructive saga, and The Goon's Eric Powell is sounding the alarm. Powell will also paint covers for each issue of this new ongoing series, including a wraparound cover to kick things off! Acclaimed artist Phil Hester signs on for the first storyline, and Alex Ross supplies a painted 50/50 variant cover! This is the Big G storyline you've been waiting for!

Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters #2
By: Eric Powell, Tracy Marsh, Phil Hester
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Pub. Date: April 27, 2011

The world is in panic as Godzilla reduces Tokyo to rubble. No one knows where the giant lizard has come from, and even the most extreme military counter-measures prove useless. As the people of Japan struggle to survive Godzilla's wrath, the world's governments start thinking outside the box. Unfortunately, Godzilla may not be the only monster-sized threat the world faces...

Multiversity Comics Presents: John Layman
David Harper said:
Do you mind if we talk about a different project besides Chew to start?

Layman:
Sure.

Apparently you're writing a Godzilla mini-series with Alberto Ponticelli on art and Geof Darrow on covers.

Layman:
Yeahhhh (excitedly).

I have to say, as someone who grew up watching Godzilla movies and is a fan of Chew, Unknown Soldier and Geof Darrow in general, that sounds like the best thing in the world.

Layman:
You can't find a lot of it, because it hasn't been officially announced. Chris Ryall twittered about it and mentioned it in a CBR costume. It's not officially out there, but we're doing it and that's the team. Ryall asked me one day, because we worked together on Scarface, which was a blast, and people always credit Puffed but I think it was Scarface where I found my Chew voice. I think it was one of my favorite books ever but no one bought it.

Chris Ryall and I had a really good time and he was like "do you like Godzilla?" And I said yeah. Then he said "keep this on the down low, but we're doing some Godzilla stuff. Do you want to pitch it?" And I just had an idea that was there. So literally the next day by 11 - I got up early in the morning and just pounded out this pretty involved pitch and it was on his doorstep first thing in the morning - which for an editor 11 is first thing in the morning.

So he was pretty shocked, but then we had to go through some gyrations with Toho and they came back and said it was too violent. I was like "this is Godzilla, right?" (laughs)

It didn't fundamentally change the story. We just kind of altered it and it kind of made it for the better. I'm a huge fan of Asian cinema. I love monster movies too, but I also love Asian cop movies. I wanted to pitch something that was half Oldboy, half monster movie.

Nice! (laughter)

Layman:
So I've got this framed cop whose partner had been killed. Just one of these stubborn, Asian Dirty Harry's who won't stop no matter...even if all the other cops are corrupt and his name gets smeared and his partner gets killed and it's basically him vs. the mob and the Yakuza and whatever.

He gets ahold of the Mothra twins and basically makes them make Mothra do his bidding.

YES! (laughter)

Layman:
So it's half Asian gangster movie, half monster movie. So that's exciting, and then they told me Geof Darrow was on covers and I just flipped. And the Ponticelli art is beyond gorgeous.

I've actually been working on Godzilla #3 today even though I should be working on because I'm just so jazzed about it. (laughter)

Has Chris indicated as to when this would be coming out?

Layman:
Summer. If it's not my own book, I don't pay too close of attention to when it comes out. The glorious thing about company owned work is it's not my headache...it's Chris'...or Bobby Curnow who is the editor.

I enjoy not worrying about that ****. (laughter) I just get my scripts in. Get what notes come in, which have been pretty minimal.

I also asked to letter it, because I love lettering my own stuff. So I get pages in and I letter it up and it's flippin' fantastic.

David Harper said:
Circle of Confusion is putting together the Chew TV show, and they're the ones that put together The Walking Dead. You said there's been some forward movement with it. What's the status of the Chew TV show?

Layman:
Well...it's not real yet.

Circle of Confusion is doing what they did with The Walking Dead, as they're putting together a team and then they took it to a network. And then they sold it.

People have been like "oh man, are you spending that money yet?" And I'm like "there's no money yet." (laughter)

Supposedly this makes it happen easier and it gives you better control over it. It was announced at SDCC that we've got Stephen Hopkins onboard, who did the first season of 24 and Californication and a really big movie resume, but his TV shows in recent years have gotten a lot of acclaim. So he's onboard, but what we haven't announced and can't is that we have a writing team now, from a "popular show" that has been on the air for many seasons. They were working on a pilot script, and then the thing I was referring to is we actually got the pilot script.

Rob read it and I should have read it by now, but I've been sort of eyes on the prize trying to finish this issue of Godzilla. I can only focus on one thing at a time.

Mothra in the mafia. Mothia. Yes. Yes, this will work for me.

From IDW Tuesday, Mar 1st, 2011: Ted's Comp Contest, GODZILLA!

Again Ted Adams, also known as @therealtedadams, is giving away his advance copies of IDW comics and today it's a whooper, GODZILLA #1 by Eric Powell, Tracy Marsh, and Phil Hester! He's got both the gatefold Eric Powell cover and the variant Alex Ross. You can get win one of them by entering today's Twitter contest.
Here is how you can win:​

• Follow @idwpublishing on Twitter.com - you must be following @idwpublishing to be eligible to win.​
  • Use the tag #godzilla in a Tweet directed at IDW showing your support for the IDW staff working hard on the weekend. Your tweet must contain # godzilla and @idwpublishing.​
  • That's it!​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"