• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Halloween Movies Thread... - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The white trash family was awful. You could almost cheer Michael on for killing them because they were so horrible to him, and just despicable people in general, except for the Mum and baby Laurie, which is why Michael spared them. But the problem is that when you show that much of his back story, whether he is someone you can root for or not, showing his therapy sessions with Loomis where they are actually conversing, seeing him spend Christmas with his Mum, loving his baby sister Laurie etc, it humanizes him way too much. Don't show that much of him pre becoming The Shape.

Carpenter's concept of Michael was that he was like the unknowable source of evil that is almost beyond human. He was smart to minimize Michael's back story, even the snippets that was told through dialogue, Loomis said he never got Michael to say a word for the entire 15 years he was his patient. He was just this mute ticking time bomb waiting to go off. Loomis saw that. He was the only one who saw it. Referring to Michael as 'it' instead of him. Telling Nurse Marion that they should dose him with thorazine when he goes before the judge, and the nurse says he'll barely be able to sit up and Loomis says "That's the idea". He knows how dangerous he is even though he never talked or barely moved since he was a child.

:up:

Yes and that is the big crime, humanising Myers. That's another thing he failed with spectacularly, Dr Loomis. To this day I don't get why he turned him into such a bastard.

I heard on a podcast, not sure if it's true or not but apparently Zombie wanted to remake the Texas Chanisaw Masacare but he was beaten to it and Hallowen was the one he got so he used his TCM ideas within. Tbh I can believe that.

If it wasn't called Halloween 3 or if the franchise had moved in the anthology direction it would probably get treated a lot more fairly.

It's sort of a cult classic. The Halloween name attached to it has ensured that a good size audience sees it over time, so that's a positive side of it. Obviously at the time people wanted more Myers and that caused some backlash initially. I think it is a pretty dang scary movie and holds up very well over time.

It's sort of a cult classic. The Halloween name attached to it has ensured that a good size audience sees it over time, so that's a positive side of it. Obviously at the time people wanted more Myers and that caused some backlash initially. I think it is a pretty dang scary movie and holds up very well over time.
Yeah....it's a good little movie on it's own, it just has the stigma of people being upset that it wasn't a continuation of the Myers saga.

Feels like we're back to the start again. At least Blumhouse aren't leading us on and are open about it.

Years ago Akkad used to say a Halloween film was in production evey month. :funny:

The white trash family was awful. You could almost cheer Michael on for killing them because they were so horrible to him, and just despicable people in general, except for the Mum and baby Laurie, which is why Michael spared them. But the problem is that when you show that much of his back story, whether he is someone you can root for or not, showing his therapy sessions with Loomis where they are actually conversing, seeing him spend Christmas with his Mum, loving his baby sister Laurie etc, it humanizes him way too much. Don't show that much of him pre becoming The Shape.

Carpenter's concept of Michael was that he was like the unknowable source of evil that is almost beyond human. He was smart to minimize Michael's back story, even the snippets that was told through dialogue, Loomis said he never got Michael to say a word for the entire 15 years he was his patient. He was just this mute ticking time bomb waiting to go off. Loomis saw that. He was the only one who saw it. Referring to Michael as 'it' instead of him. Telling Nurse Marion that they should dose him with thorazine when he goes before the judge, and the nurse says he'll barely be able to sit up and Loomis says "That's the idea". He knows how dangerous he is even though he never talked or barely moved since he was a child. That's scary. We don't know what's going on inside Michael other than he is pure evil.

dhMeAzK.gif

Feels like we're back to the start again. At least Blumhouse aren't leading us on and are open about it.

Years ago Akkad used to say a Halloween film was in production evey month. :funny:

Very true :funny:

Was just listening to Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper. Reminded me of how impatient I am for another good outing for the Shape.

I sometimes forget that great song is in the original. Laurie and Annie have it on in the car when they're going babysitting.

I sometimes forget that great song is in the original. Laurie and Annie have it on in the car when they're going babysitting.

Yeah I remember not even noticing for years too.

Halloween is such a perfect film, I don't think many films you can say that about but Hallowen is definitely one of them. Another I'd say is Jaws.

This is always a funny watch this time of year :funny:

[YT]OGzOUjykHV0[/YT]

-YT snip-

Haha, that was awesome. :woot:

I always sort of find it funny, after marathoning all the Jason films, I enjoy the films more where they change up the formula. For example, by Part 4 I was already sort of feeling the fatigue of sameness, so when Part 6 rolled around with zombie Jason and a more humorous tone, it felt fresh. Part 7 with the psychic girl is pretty great. Part 8 in Manhattan is so stupid it's enjoyable. Etc. Etc.

My reason brining those up is that weirdly I don't like when Halloween deviates too much. I love the first two films, and I love Halloween III as a nice break for the series. 4,5, and 6 are mixed bag for me, where I like 4, don't care for 5, and like the P-cut of 6 better than the normal cut. However, making Michael completely supernatural wasn't the greatest idea, but like Halloween III, it did break things up for a while. It helps too when we come back to more-or-less reality with H20, which I love, but apparently a lot of people hate because of it feeling similar to Scream. I can take or leave Resurrection overall, although I tend to hate that it dragged out a good ending. By now you all know my extreme hatred for the Zombie films, and going the other route and humanizing Michael more was a terrible, terrible idea.

Last edited:
Some fans are speculating they're going to wait until 2018 which is the 40th anniversary to release the next instalment. Honestly, I'd be fine with that, it gives them plenty of time to get it right and they can make a bigger deal out of it.

[YT]OGzOUjykHV0[/YT]

:funny:

Some fans are speculating they're going to wait until 2018 which is the 40th anniversary to release the next installment. Honestly, I'd be fine with that, it gives them plenty of time to get it right and they can make a bigger deal out of it.

I don't think this movie should come out until 2018 for the 40th anniversary. It's good for marketing and a good anniversary pitch. Unless things change again. But I think 2018 is a great year for this. Not before its anniversary in 2017

Last edited:
Make it a straight up simple story. Michael targets some new people, stalks them and kills them. Keep it basic like the original did and do away with what the sequels did. Stay true to the idea of The Shape and pure evil.

Yep. I've been saying it for years: if they really wish to return the franchise to being 100% scary, return Myers to being the Shape by having him target random individuals and not just family.

That's why the original is so damn good. It's an escaped, possibly supernatural lunatic stalking and hunting a girl he just so happened to see & fixate on.

Keep it simple as well, which is the thing the studios don't understand they try and throw big budgets at these films and they end up coming off crap. They're alway trying to throw gimmicks at these films aswell. I swear worst thing for these classic horrors is the studios that have them.

Well they have new blood with Blumhouse so hopefully that's the refresher the series needs

So I threw on Halloween 5 the other night because I was bored and it's been a while since I had seen it. Yeah it's still one of my least favorites in the series haha.

Well they have new blood with Blumhouse so hopefully that's the refresher the series needs

Yeah and they are known to work with little resources too

So I threw on Halloween 5 the other night because I was bored and it's been a while since I had seen it. Yeah it's still one of my least favorites in the series haha.

Yeah, I'd argue that's worse than Resurrection, worst mask, really weird atmosphere (doesn't even feel like a Halloween film) and that stupid music when the cops walk.

Resurrection at least has Busta Rhymes kicking Michael out the window. H5 has nothing.

Nothing.

Yeah and they are known to work with little resources too

Yeah, I'd argue that's worse than Resurrection, worst mask, really weird atmosphere (doesn't even feel like a Halloween film) and that stupid music when the cops walk.

Dude I totally forgot about that stupid goofy music for those 2 cops until I watched it again. So bad. Also the worst Myers House yet, looked nothing like the original.

Resurrection at least has Busta Rhymes kicking Michael out the window. H5 has nothing.

Nothing.

Resurrection I remember seeing in the theater. Twice actually. And as bad as it is, I think I'd still take it over 5. At least Laurie is in the beginning.

Worst of the franchise is really a toss-up between H5 and HR.

On one hand, H5 is aggressively awful and an obvious rush-job of a film. I might go as far as saying that it has no redeeming qualities, or at least hardly any.

HR, on the other hand, is so dumb and pointless that it almost plays like a spoof. Such an obvious dirt-cheap cash grab. It adds nothing whatsoever to the franchise (aside from crapping all over the fantastic H20 ending), whereas H5 at least had some semblance of a story in terms of how it fits into the H1-H6 run of films.

Beyond all of that, though, both films can just be so boring and tedious to watch, and neither of them are remotely scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"