Halo Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Yeah, I never played any of the Halos after 3.

It has a different feel to it, cause you're not a Spartan. You're an ODST soldier, so you're incredibly weak and limited to what you can do.

Plus, the campaign is incredibly short. Around 3-4 hours long.

I've heard the thing about being weaker and all, but do you actually die faster than playing as MC in Halo 3? It seems about the same to me, if anything, having the actual life bar seems to keep you alive a tad longer.

But yeah, it is definitely shorter. We nearly cleared it over just two days, and even really playing extensively (this is on Legendary, I'm talking about).

Yeah, I never played any of the Halos after 3.
Oh right, look forward to your opinion on 4 then. Shame Reach isn't in this collection as it's also an important step up for me. That's the one I played the multiplayer most.

It has a different feel to it, cause you're not a Spartan. You're an ODST soldier, so you're incredibly weak and limited to what you can do.

Plus, the campaign is incredibly short. Around 3-4 hours long.

I've heard the thing about being weaker and all, but do you actually die faster than playing as MC in Halo 3? It seems about the same to me, if anything, having the actual life bar seems to keep you alive a tad longer.

But yeah, it is definitely shorter. We nearly cleared it over just two days, and even really playing extensively (this is on Legendary, I'm talking about).
I've forgotten but isn't it different in that the life bar gets permanently depleted when hit? And you need to get life from 'health pods' or whatever they're called? My memory is super-sketchy on this though, haven't replayed it since I bought it and first finished it.

I've forgotten but isn't it different in that the life bar gets permanently depleted when hit? And you need to get life from 'health pods' or whatever they're called? My memory is super-sketchy on this though, haven't replayed it since I bought it and first finished it.

Yeah, the health bar itself doesn't actually refill without a health pack, but the shields still recharge like the other Halos. It's not a lot different than the first Halo in that regard. We've going through on Legendary, and it honestly didn't feel all that different, playing-wise, as Halo 3 to me. I just liked the story and how it's told, and the level design is really good and well-paced.

A lot of people seem to like it, a lot on my friends list at least. I like it but prefer the grander space operas of the main series (although I love Reach and that is outside of the numbered series). 4 > Reach > 3 > ODST > 2 > 1. I wish my ranking wasn't so predictable haha.

Well, a lot of people seem to have really mixed feelings about 4, so I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself finally.

Yeah, the health bar itself doesn't actually refill without a health pack, but the shields still recharge like the other Halos. It's not a lot different than the first Halo in that regard.
No, it's totally different than the first Halo. The first Halo you had a rechargeable shield with 8 health packets that take extra hits. If someone shot 4 health packets, you could still wait a few seconds, and your shield would return to normal. In ODST, you don't have any health packets and your shield doesn't recharge. In order to regain your shield, you have to get health(which is similar to how you refile your packets in HCE, but still not the same thing).

No, it's totally different than the first Halo. The first Halo you had a rechargeable shield with 8 health packets that take extra hits. If someone shot 4 health packets, you could still wait a few seconds, and your shield would return to normal. In ODST, you don't have any health packets and your shield doesn't recharge. In order to regain your shield, you have to get health(which is similar to how you refile your packets in HCE, but still not the same thing).

Hm, no, your shield definitely recharges, at least in the MCC remastered version (maybe this was changed from the original?). You don't have little packets, but the bar of health operates in the same basic way.

Well, a lot of people seem to have really mixed feelings about 4, so I'm looking forward to seeing it for myself finally.
I get the feeling a lot of the mixed feelings are to do with the multiplayer (which I happen to like a lot). I haven't heard too many complaints on the campaign. One thing about that game above most others is the awesome sound. You'll really appreciate this if you have a standalone system for sound. And also visually by far the best Halo. I will be returning at some point to replay this.

Yeah thought it was something like that. Definitely had to adapt my playstyle for that game and died a lot early on.

No it doesn't. Not on the 360 version or the MCC. I have it on right now. Nothing recharges. I let a Grunt hit me, and my shield has been down(and in the red) for over 3 min now.

Unless you guys put on some kinda mode/skull that I don't know about? But the base game doesn't have any recharge capabilities.

Well, I don't know if we did (he was the host), but the shield definitely recharged when we played. There were several occasions were I had like a small bar of health but a full shield. Getting a pack recharged both the health bar and the shield completely. And tons of times when we were in vehicles, getting hit, and driving away and it recharging just like the other Halo games.

In the base game, there's no recharge and you take fall damage.

You may have been playing with some weird mode on, cause all of the games are filled with different options.

Although the character you play is still “the best of the best”, there are some noticeable differences between you and the “demon” of the previous games; there’s no rechargeable shield, no dual wielding, no hijacking of vehicles and you can’t jump as high. Do not panic, as I did, as there have been a number of additions and changes to the gameplay that mean you can still kick some Covenant arse.

I never said we didn't take fall damage? Well, I guess we did, I don't recall ever taking any long falls, though.

But I don't know, maybe, I thought we were just playing the campaign from the campaign menu. Just to be clear, I'm talking about when you get hit, and your screen is red, and then eventually your health bar starts going down. I don't know if maybe you're allowed to take a few hits before your health goes down even if your shield is down if you run off? Not sure what the difference is between those two things, though. I'll ask my friend whenever we finish it if he's fiddled with anything.

Okay, so I goggled it, and yeah, it recharges. It's called "Stamina" or whatever in this (never noticed it being called this as opposed to shields, but I'll chalk it up to not paying attention). Here's some posts about it from the OG 360 release:

http://halo.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=37802727&postRepeater1-p=1#37802942

I know it's not something super official, but several other players commenting on it and comparing it to OG Halo just like I did. So, I'm not crazy or playing in some weird mode, it's just how the game is. Some other places said it recharges slower than shields in H3, but I honestly didn't notice a lot of difference.

Yes, your stamina recharges, but your stamina isn't your shield/health. Going back to your original post, it looks like you just misconstrued what you were talking about. Your shield in all Halos is your life bar. When it goes all the way down, you die. In every Halo besides ODST, you can wait a few seconds, and your shield fully replenishes as long as you're not taking damage. In ODST, your sheild never replenishes, unless you get health.

So, what's really the difference between ODST and the original Halo then? The shields and stamina seem to act exactly the same way from what I can tell between those two games with the only difference being that OG Halo uses little bars of health instead of a long steady bar.

And are you sure that your shields and health double as one thing in Halo 2 & 3? That doesn't really seem right to me. I feel like there's times when I've had no shields but still been alive. I thought you could still take hits whenever your shield was depleted in those games, just obviously not a lot.

So, what's really the difference between ODST and the original Halo then? The shields and stamina seem to act exactly the same way from what I can tell between those two games with the only difference being that OG Halo uses little bars of health instead of a long steady bar.
It doesn't work the same way, at all. In every Halo ever made(besides ODST), you can take some hits, go behind some cover, and wait for your shield to replenish back to 100%. In HCE, you had 8 life bars that took some extra hits/damage if your shield was all the way down. So if someone took your shield down to 0%, and you took some more damage, it may take away 4-5 bars, but if you go behind cover, you can still replenish your shield to 100%. It's just now you only have 3-4 bars left, but you still have a full shield. Hell, you could have all of your bars taken away, as long as your shield is back up, it doesn't matter.

In ODST, you start taking hits, and your shield wont go down until your stamina is low. Once its low, your shield will start to deplete, and you can never regain that health again, unless you get a health pack. They wont ever recharge. So if an enemy takes your shield down 80%, then you only have 20% of your shield intact before you die or find health. It will never recharge to 100%.

Last edited:
In OG Halo, you can take a certain amount of hits before your shield goes down and then you start taking hits on your actual health, represented by 8 little bars. You can then go off and your shield recharges and the process starts over with how ever many health bars you have left.

In ODST, you can take a certain amount of hits, before your stamina goes down and then you start taking hits from your actual health, represented by one long bar. You can then go off and your stamina will recharge, and the process starts over with how ever much of your bar you have left.

There's...literally no difference here haha. The only difference I could see is doubling shields and health terminology as one thing in ODST as opposed to the first one, but the actual functions are exactly the same, and only serves to split hairs to the nth degree.

It's completely different. In fact, it's almost the complete opposite of the other Halo's. I don't know how much more I can go in depth in order to explain it to you? Your shields are your life in Halo.

Halo 1-4= rechargeable shields.
Halo ODST= non-rechargeable shields.

In HCE, you only take away the life bars after you shield is down, never before. Your shield is always going to work the same way, regardless how many bars you have. In ODST, if your shield/health gets down to 20%, your stamina is easier to deplete(remember, your shield is your life. The lower the life you have, the less stamina you can endure). So having a lower shield affects your stamina. It doesn't work that way in HCE.

And you're putting way too much emphasis on the health bars in HCE. They don't do as much as you're making it out to. Sure, they help a little bit, but they really only help with fall damage, and maybe one extra shot to the body: that's it. It's why they took them out in the other Halo's. Either way, your shield doesn't deplete faster because of it. And the big thing to note is, Stamina isn't the same thing as a shield. It kinda works similar, but they don't share the same characteristics. There's a reason why ODST plays slower than HCE.

Last edited:
To be honest, I think you're just being really pedantic with this whole argument, but it's obvious you see some kind of huge difference here, and I'm not seeing it, at least not to the degree you claim it is. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree and move on, because I think it's clear neither one of us are going to convince the other's point of view.

You can say I'm being "pedantic" all you want, but there's a clear difference between the two, and they're not unnecessary differences. We're not talking about semantics here. If stamina worked the same way a shield did, maybe I could see your point, but it doesn't. You're just being way too obtuse about this whole matter.

Like I said, agree to disagree, and let's move on.

im pretty sure that last update messed things up more, my playlist info got erased and the skulls available through pre-order (but activated now) have disappeared from my screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"