Has pop-culture stagnated?

The Olsen Twins are no longer relevant in the mainstream while Elizabeth Olsen is one of the more significant, up and coming actresses out there today. Stagnant my ass.

Do people still believe it's not butter?

tumblr_mbgiklIXIK1riqizno1_400.gif

Chris Hardwick once sat on my lap and stroked my beard. True story.

He might come off as trying to hard but really he is just superbly hyper.

Yeah, it's just in his personality. I don't think he is a try-hard, I just think that legitimately how he talks and acts; like he's had a several red bulls before coming out and hosting any show he does. :funny:

^Don't remind me. :oldrazz: :woot:

I caved and watched 3 episodes On Demand just to check it out. He was more tolerable than I expected, but he had to up his A game. He's on post Stewart/Colbert on a show where he is also on with some of the quickest and funniest stand up comedians. They, the guests, made the shows I watched though.

Yeah, they have. The one where Judd Apatow was on it was great. So was the one where Keegan Michael Key was on it. I have to give Hardwicke credit, he's been a good host for the show, and I think it's because pop culture is his forte.

Matthew mcconaughey was a punchline five years ago and now look at him today.

But no, pop culture hasn't changed much. :o:funny:

Matthew mcconaughey was a punchline five years ago and now look at him today.

But no, pop culture hasn't changed much. :o:funny:

A singular star going from unpopular to popular is a pretty weak symbol of changing culture. And again, no one is saying culture hasn't changed at all. Just that it hasn't changed as much in previous decades. But eh, I'm so done with this circular argument. You have your view and I have mine, and we're obviously not going to convince each other. I'd rather save my energy for more meaningful debate (like convincing SentinelMind that gay couples getting married won't herald the apocalypse).

Yeah, I'm done proving you wrong in this.

The only reason I feel so strongly is because I think this thread is merely used as a launchpad for nostalgia-******* and this is just another thread used to dump on pop culture today. The basis for this argument in the first place are nothing but rose-tinted glasses.

Last edited:
I agree with this. There was so much rapid change in pop culture between the late sixties into the late nineties. It really does seem like we have been relatively stagnant since 1999, with the one big exception of social media and reality tv. In terms of film, fashion, music though, nothing really has changed much.

Yeah, I'm done proving you wrong in this.

The only reason I feel so strongly is because I think this thread is merely used as launchpad for nostalgia-******* and this is another thread to dump on pop culture today. The basis for this argument in the first place are nothing but rose-tinted glasses.

No one is right or wrong on this matter. I personally we're living in a geek paradise. However, it's also something we take for granted too.

I do think when it comes to the media, the internet changed everything. It simplified and complicated things to the degree we can't see how things as they are until decades from now. And it's always been like that.

But I'll say this and I'll stand by it: The days where you can instantly tell what decade is which just by a photo or video footage is (for now) done. Until we have technological advances like matter-of-fact robots roaming the streets. Or extreme cultural changes.

But I also think that your 'nostalgia' stance will change too as you get older. Dare I say it's human nature.

To me, you'll going to have the 'It was better back in MY day'. We've had that sort of thing forever. But sometimes it can ring true for certain generations or whatever. I'm sure when the great depression hit, some could pull out that 'better back in my day' anytime they wanted.

I agree with this. There was so much rapid change in pop culture between the late sixties into the late nineties. It really does seem like we have been relatively stagnant since 1999, with the one big exception of social media and reality tv. In terms of film, fashion, music though, nothing really has changed much.

That's easy to say with hindsight, but you can't have hindsight when you're in the midst of it. It's also easy to say when you stack 40 years against just-over-a-decade.

I must say that smart phones and social media have changed the world. It kinda freaks me out about my daily route back in..let's say 2009 vs now. I'm on the internet all the time, which is a double edged sword of course.

Now information is immediately available to us. That also mean more chances of witch hunts and miss-infomation to go around.

I think you need to ramp up production of meaningless one-word posts if you ever want to reach 100,000. :o
Is there any point in saying more then one word? You began this tread with a question, and every time someone answers said question in opposition, you immediately discredit them.

Why even continue? You're asking if pop culture has "stagnated". No, it has not. It never will.

The real question now is if you yourself have stagnated. Change is all around you. You can't discredit it because you refuse to accept it.

Last edited:
No one is right or wrong on this matter. I personally we're living in a geek paradise. However, it's also something we take for granted too.

I do think when it comes to the media, the internet changed everything. It simplified and complicated things to the degree we can't see how things as they are until decades from now. And it's always been like that.

But I'll say this and I'll stand by it: The days where you can instantly tell what decade is which just by a photo or video footage is (for now) done. Until we have technological advances like matter-of-fact robots roaming the streets. Or extreme cultural changes.

But I also think that your 'nostalgia' stance will change too as you get older. Dare I say it's human nature.

Does it mean pop culture has stagnated and that things have not changed sinced the 90s? Not to mention the constant discrediting of how technology has affected pop culture on a surface level (not by you, but by others) in the thread is ridiculous, especially when it has affected how people interact with each other and that technology is always an important part of pop culture.

To me, you'll going to have the 'It was better back in MY day'. We've had that sort of thing forever. But sometimes it can ring true for certain generations or whatever. I'm sure when the great depression hit, some could pull out that 'better back in my day' anytime they wanted.

I probably will. :funny:

Still, there were a few good things that came out of depression era US, like the further improvement of talkies, Disney Cartoons, and of course, superhero comics. :cwink:

I must say that smart phones and social media have changed the world. It kinda freaks me out about my daily route back in..let's say 2009 vs now. I'm on the internet all the time, which is a double edged sword of course.

Now information is immediately available to us. That also mean more chances of witch hunts and miss-infomation to go around.

Completely agreed.

Is there any point in saying more that one word? You began the tread with a question, and every time someone answers said question in opposition, you immediately discredit them.

Why even continue? You're asking if pop culture has "stagnated". No, it has not. It never will.

The real question now is if you yourself have stagnated. Change is all around you. You can't discredit it because you refuse to accept it.

:up:

It's like I said earlier in the thread. To say that pop culture has stagnated is to say that history has stagnated. You can't look at one or two aspects of pop culture and conclude that pop culture as a whole has stagnated.

I miss the 90's.

Which seems to be the only reason this thread was created. :funny:

Last edited:
I love pop-cultre. Who wants to lick some sledgehammers while declaring ourselves as geniuses?

Is there any point in saying more then one word? You began this tread with a question, and every time someone answers said question in opposition, you immediately discredit them.

ObgnOSV.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"