Days of Future Past Have you seen X-Men: First Class? Post here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
just came back from watching First Class a second time and i still love it!

one thing i did notice more this time around was the score. it's great! especially Magneto's theme. pure awesomeness :word:

and i still stand by what i said after my first viewing, First Class is definately the best Marvel movie up to now. better than X2, Spidey 2, Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man.

well the series has never been good with accents...Storm went from a african-like accent to none...Logan never had a canadian accent...Scott didnt have a midwestern accent(he was raised in the midwest) Bobby didnt have a boston accent

Pyro wasn't Australian in the preivous X-Men movies Juggernaut wasn't American, Colossus didn't have a russian accent

I wasn't too bothered by the accents

Banshee and Moria are Irish and Scottish which is the nationality of McAvoy and Fassbender. James McAvoy wasn't too happy they didn't keep Moria Scottish though

Thinking about something McAvoy said in one of his interviews. In that the friendship had to be genuine for a lot of it to work and when he heard Vaughn had Fassbender at the top of his list for Magneto is what made him believe and join the project.

Them being friends and real life before the fact and incredibly good ones at that, definitely helped this movie. That "bromance" as some would call it was one of the most genuine relationships between two friends I've seen in a very long time.

On second viewing, I noticed that Erik already planned how he was going to kill Shaw when we first see him grown up

Thinking about something McAvoy said in one of his interviews. In that the friendship had to be genuine for a lot of it to work and when he heard Vaughn had Fassbender at the top of his list for Magneto is what made him believe and join the project.
Actually it was the opposite. James was the first actor to be cast. Fassbender said that one of the things that got him interested in reading the script was the fact that McAvoy was already in, and he admired his work a great deal.
I love their friendship too; all the interviews they did together are a blast. Damn, someone give them their own talk show already! :woot:
Plus, you can see the genuine admiration for each other; they're funny, sexy and smart together. The best and most real bromance of all time, really, in fiction and in the real world.
The fangirls at Tumblr are shipping Charles and Erik like crazy, lol! :awesome:

Not quite.

Here's the interview itself straight from McAvoy's mouth.

This was a good movie, much better then X3 or Wolverine. I only had a few quips with the whole thing but really too minor to mention. It is well worth seeing.

Not quite.

Here's the interview itself straight from McAvoy's mouth.
I can't see the video at work, do you mind making a brief summary of what he says?

tedw said:
Wasn't there discussion of Xavier using his powers to incite student (or student/mutant) uprising on campus? Just another idea that got cut, I suppose?
Yeah, I seem to remember something about it! It's quite a great idea, actually. Shame... :csad:

When the story outline for X-Men: First Class was announced: a reboot of the original
X-men team,Proffesor X ,Jean Grey,Cyclops,Beast and Angel,i said hey why not should be interesting.
But then the outline changed,none but 1 of the aforementioned characters would be in the film,the characters would be a mix of characters from different era's of the X-men
I thought what a terrible idea,then bits and pieces of the filming popped up,then various marketing photos,that didnt boost my interest in the film at all.
Then some very smart people at Marvel/Fox put together some interesting trailers and clips. They got my attention and anticipation for the film was gained.

X-Men: First Class is the best in the series of X-men films.
Thanks to great work by the main 3 leads,James McAvoy as Professor Charles Xavier / Professor X ,Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr / Magneto,Jennifer Lawrence as Raven / Mystique
Thinking they are all alone in the world,the only humans with something extra in their genetic code.Their lives intertwine when Sebastian Shaw(Kevin Bacon cold and creepy to the 100th power ) a powerful mutant bent on world domination,sets in motion the destruction of most of the world,by manipulating the players in the Cuban missle crisis.
This is a well acted film,emotionally charged,good amount of action,you really feel something for the characters and their plight,their own self prejudices,and search for their place in the world.The conflict of wanting to be themselves,but also wanting to be accepted as normal.
I liked the fact that Magneto was open to the change Proffesor X offered,but stayed on the course of what he wanted.You feel the bond between the two,but we know whats coming and how it will end. But not how it will play out.
XFC has one of the best climaxes i have seen in a film.
the cast is an interesting mix of established and up and coming actors :
Rose Byrne as Dr. Moira MacTaggert ,Nicholas Hoult as Dr. Henry "Hank" McCoy / Beast,Oliver Platt as A CIA agent ,Zoë Kravitz as Angel Salvadore
Caleb Landry Jones as Sean Cassidy / BansheeLucas Till as Alex Summers / Havok,
Edi Gathegi as Armando Muñoz / Darwin Jason Flemyng as Azazel.
With such a large cast some character development definitely doesnt happen,characters vanish for portions of the film and some just completely vanish.There is some hammy and blank acting.
But XFC far surpasses the jumbled,rushed,and uneven mess that was X-Men: The Last Stand.
My faith in the mutant division of Marvel films has waivered over the years,but thanks to
Director Matthew Vaughn,Producer Bryan Singer,writers Ashley Edward Miller
Zack Stentz ,Jane Goldman and some terrific acting,my faith has been restored.
Scale of 1-10 a 9

The best X men movie till now! aT FIRST i DOUBT THIS MOVIE WILL BE GOOD, NOW i KNOW IT'S EXCELLENT!
I thought there will be to much charecters and not enough time! It was just perfect! Really great Job! Now I wanna watch Class II! The Magneto actor rocked the movie, I loved Charles akcent! Emma frost did a great job too! Great crew for a great movie!

Kedrell u better give xmen a higher score or I'll have u ip banned

What I have rated.....I have rated. So let it be written, so let it be done.
yul_brynner_in_the_ten_commandments_film_trailer.jpg

Had to digest this film over the weekend before posting, but easily, I rank this film right up there with Batman Begins as one of the greatest superhero movies ever.

Maybe I'm biased, because I absolutely despised most of the original X-men trilogy, in particular the focus (or lack there of) on the team as a whole. And even though this movie is strongly based on Magneto's arc, it still doesn't enter the Wolverine territory of the previous trilogy.

Speaking of, in terms of villainy for me, it's always The Joker, Lex Luthor, Dr. Doom & Magneto, in that order. And with all due respect to Sir Ian, who did a fantastic job as well, Fassbender embodies a certain sense of intimidation I felt was missing before. He had a more vile presence from the very beginning, while still towing the line of reasoning and understanding that makes Erik such a fascinating character.

My only gripe, and it's more of a plot thing, is the nonchalant way young Erik allows Sebastian to console him, directly after causing him the most traumatic event in his whole life? If this was his whole motivation throughout the movie, I found it odd that he didn't even attempt to attack Shaw personally in the beginning. Sure, he's a young mutant at the time and clearly no match, but he still didn't even raise a finger towards him, instead settling for a bunch of rudimentary damage.

The pacing was brisk, almost too brisk I thought at first, but the writing is so strong it works to great effect. Emotionally, this was probably the strongest film since TDK where I was invested in characters and motivations. And I must say, even though I almost never have a problem with movies changing and adapting origins and things of that nature, this is probably the only film next to Nolan's flicks where it works to such a great level. I prefer almost every change made, to the previous X-men movies & the comics! Especially Mystique, Xavier & Moira. I thought it was fantastic, and made sense, in the context of a 2 hr movie in particular.

Simply put this is the X-men movie I've always wanted to see. Brilliant job!!

I'd give it an 8/10. Pretty damn good. A lot better than I was expecting.

X-Men: First Class was great.

The best X-Men movie.

I want sequel. NOW.

Had to digest this film over the weekend before posting, but easily, I rank this film right up there with Batman Begins as one of the greatest superhero movies ever.

Maybe I'm biased, because I absolutely despised most of the original X-men trilogy, in particular the focus (or lack there of) on the team as a whole. And even though this movie is strongly based on Magneto's arc, it still doesn't enter the Wolverine territory of the previous trilogy.

Speaking of, in terms of villainy for me, it's always The Joker, Lex Luthor, Dr. Doom & Magneto, in that order. And with all due respect to Sir Ian, who did a fantastic job as well, Fassbender embodies a certain sense of intimidation I felt was missing before. He had a more vile presence from the very beginning, while still towing the line of reasoning and understanding that makes Erik such a fascinating character.

My only gripe, and it's more of a plot thing, is the nonchalant way young Erik allows Sebastian to console him, directly after causing him the most traumatic event in his whole life? If this was his whole motivation throughout the movie, I found it odd that he didn't even attempt to attack Shaw personally in the beginning. Sure, he's a young mutant at the time and clearly no match, but he still didn't even raise a finger towards him, instead settling for a bunch of rudimentary damage.

The pacing was brisk, almost too brisk I thought at first, but the writing is so strong it works to great effect. Emotionally, this was probably the strongest film since TDK where I was invested in characters and motivations. And I must say, even though I almost never have a problem with movies changing and adapting origins and things of that nature, this is probably the only film next to Nolan's flicks where it works to such a great level. I prefer almost every change made, to the previous X-men movies & the comics! Especially Mystique, Xavier & Moira. I thought it was fantastic, and made sense, in the context of a 2 hr movie in particular.

Simply put this is the X-men movie I've always wanted to see. Brilliant job!!

He didn't allow himself to be consoled, Shaw ran in there excited and put his arms around him. Erik didn't fight back because he felt helpless. You can tell that he was lacking confidence and strength and then you consider how the Nazis treated him. He was also probably in shock at his own display of power and completely overwhelmed by grief. It was alot.

The point of that scene really is to show how insignificant Mrs. Lenscherr's life was to Shaw. She was just a tool to get Erik's powers to emerge and you can only wonder what other "fun" he had planned for Erik.

I knew this movie was going to be special after Shaw talks with Erik, we see Shaw ring the bell and we get the 180 shot of the "mad scientist" lab.

On second viewing, I noticed that Erik already planned how he was going to kill Shaw when we first see him grown up

Yeah i saw that coming a mile off, though i expected him to 'shape' it into a bullet.

Quick Question the song over the end credits is Love Love by Take That, very famous here in the UK, Are they known in the USA?

My mom & girlfriend went to see this tonight and thought it was a great movie. My mom loved Charles in this. :D

just came back from watching First Class a second time and i still love it!

one thing i did notice more this time around was the score. it's great! especially Magneto's theme. pure awesomeness :word:

and i still stand by what i said after my first viewing, First Class is definately the best Marvel movie up to now. better than X2, Spidey 2, Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man.

Funny you should mention that... I was not a fan of the score at all. The subtler stuff was fine, but the epic theme was missing... X2 and X3 both had much more awesome themes during the epic moments...

I liked FC a lot but was a bit disappointed. I think I bought into the hype too much. The action was a little underwhelming. I hated the Xavier/Mystique relationship. It didn't seem to flow the way it should have... Like too much was cut out or it was rewritten too many times. I'm not sure where it stands relative to other movies, but I definitely don't think it's the best X-Men movie.

That said, it was a very cool movie. Magneto was awesome, and by far the coolest part of the movie. Kevin Bacon played a great villain. It was overall acted very well and had a lot of cool and fun moments.

X:FC joins that rare group of movies I've watched where I didn't want the movie to end while I was watching and I could have happily watched another HOUR of this movie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"