Days of Future Past Have you seen X-Men: First Class? Post here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'd rather they save Apocalypse for the X4 or until they get some more firepower...Banshee, Havok and Beast arent gonna do a thing to him

i like how they were able to take the three or four lines of dialogue Mystique had in the whole series and build a character from it...her everyline has something to do with her appearance

Last edited:
Watched it a second time with my dad... he thought Havok was Cyclops :dry:

The original trilogy could be set in the 90s. And I don't think Vaughn and Singer are being extremely strict when it comes to sticking to continuity.

This series has never had a strict timeline, so seeing a Storm cameo that would make her in her 40's in the movies when she's really in her 30's isn't really that far fetched.

Watched it a second time with my dad... he thought Havok was Cyclops :dry:

well to be honest if someone isnt up on the comics its a mistake someone could make...its not like they did anything to make the energy blasts different from Scott's optic blasts...both have trouble controlling their powers and need an apparatus to control it

If someone isn't up on the comics, they wouldn't even know who Cyclops was to begin with...That's why it's so weird.

If someone isn't up on the comics, they wouldn't even know who Cyclops was to begin with...That's why it's so weird.

he was in the other movies...if they saw xmen or x2 then they'll know of the character

I think most people that know about X-Men know about Cyclops. He's in almost every single adaptation.

I think most people that know about X-Men know about Cyclops. He's in almost every single adaptation.

and the movies were insanely popular....besides the fact that his energy blasts looked and sounded like cyclops optic blasts from the first trilogy

That is no excuse. It only hurts the argument of how anyone would think that was Cyclops

The writers could have come up with something better than just a bullet ricochet to paralyze Prof.X. Its almost as bad as a bullet to wolverines head to make him lose his memory. I thought darwin and bug girl wasnt needed for the movie. I dont really like how most of the xmen characters have to have american accents. The timeline of the franchise is screwed but thats hollywood for you. The movie is good in its own fox world of xmen but nothing like the xmen in the comics ive read.

I loved First Class but did anyone else wish the chess scene would be longer? It was great with the time it had but i was expecting a really long extended scene. I hope there is an extended cut that comes out on the dvd/blu-ray.

I think you guys are way too hard on the dad. He's not a comic book geek as you guys are...mutant that blasts rays with another mutant that blast rays that usually would be centerpiece of every comic movie. Plus, Havok essentially played Cyclops role in the Gifted Academy. I can see many people making that mistake.

I gave it 7/10...it was good..interesting concept storytelling adding WW2 - Cold War History to the mutant/superhero drama. The acting wasn't very good, imo, except for Bacon and McAvoy. The movie relied too much camp/sex appeal/deus ex machina for me to take it too seriously. That CIA agent chick was not credible in her role at all. Not as good as X-men and X-men 2.

The writers could have come up with something better than just a bullet ricochet to paralyze Prof.X.

I liked it. It was sudden and completely unexpected. And plus as we all know, Erik (in his younger incarnation at least) would never intentionally want to hurt Charles...which is what makes what happened even more tragic and heartwrenching.

When it happened, it actually got one of the biggest reactions from my crowd. They all let out an very loud gasp. As did I for I didn't expect them to paralyze Xavier so soon.

The writers could have come up with something better than just a bullet ricochet to paralyze Prof.X. Its almost as bad as a bullet to wolverines head to make him lose his memory. I thought darwin and bug girl wasnt needed for the movie. I dont really like how most of the xmen characters have to have american accents. The timeline of the franchise is screwed but thats hollywood for you. The movie is good in its own fox world of xmen but nothing like the xmen in the comics ive read.

actually Magneto causing Xavier's paralysis was pretty good...of the Xmen shown only Banshee is supposed to have an accent and i dont remember if he had one or not

Banshee didn't have an accent. Moira should have had one too.

well the series has never been good with accents...Storm went from a african-like accent to none...Logan never had a canadian accent...Scott didnt have a midwestern accent(he was raised in the midwest) Bobby didnt have a boston accent

Just got back from watching it and I would give it an 8/10. X2 is still my favorite, but this is a close second if not on the same level. I loved the 60's setting. Emma Frost was HOT!!! I really liked how they handled the Mystique/Magneto story. It definitely changes how I view their relationship in X1&X2 and adds weight to Mystiques character. I still prefer Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellan, but Macavoy and Fassbender did a good job. Overall I was pleased, and I would love a sequel with these actors back.

Yea they even managed to squeeze him into the Wolverine movie :dry:

(And in this one actually :dry::dry:)

There was a kid in my theater crying when beast transformed. He's like "What's that!? What's that!?"

Did you have a favourite in the ensemble?
Vaughn - It's obvious, but Magneto. I sat down with Michael, and I said, "You know, I've always wanted to do a Bond movie. Imagine you're Bond, but you don't have to use gadgets. You can do s*** that other people can't. You're the ultimate assassin in the world that no one knows about." I've always loved Magneto. It's weird, because his power's bloody odd, if you think about it. It's not that great a power. But there's something about Magneto that I've always loved.
I've seen the movie twice and I love it. Love, love, love it. But I still can't help thinking that Vaughn and Fox should've gone with the Magneto - Origins idea, instead of using the X-Men to tell a Magneto Origins' story.

I mean, I wanted more Charles. I wanted to know more about him and his philosophy, I wanted to know a little bit more about his genetic studies. A little bit more about his relationship with Raven, maybe with a short scene of young Charles and Raven having a conversation, Charles telling her how he found out about his powers and what it meant to him, Raven talking about her fear of scaring people and people being mean to her because of her appearence, which would maybe give Charles this notion he should "protect" his adopted sister by making her look "normal", etc.

James talked a lot in interviews about Charles days at Oxord - the pubs, the girls, having nice conversations while having a beer. It seems a lot was cut out from the final movie. Even when they announced "Charles Francis Xavier, professor..." we don't get to see him. :mad: And the idea of a romantic relationship with Moira was cut out too.

Charles' biggest character development, I thought, would come when he started training the kids. And using Cerebro. But then, there was a montage and it was all over too soon. I was frustrated to say the least. I mean, he was accessing other mutants all over the world for the very first time, discovering that there were hundreds, maybe thousands of them. Why couldn't there be a moment in which he talks about it? All this leads to character development after all.

I don't think it's necessary to put one character aside when you want to go Bond with the other. Eric's arc was amazing and very well done in this film. I expected Xavier to be the focus on the next. But since Vaughn already said he'll bring only one more mutant, and it's related to Magneto, (the school only has 3 students at the end of First Class, and no gilrs, and Magneto already has a cool group of mutants for his Brotherhood), and he since he never stops talking about Magneto being his favorite in every damn interview, my hopes are slowly going down.

All in all Xavier had much less screen time that I had imagined initially. But James made him shine even in the smallest and unimportant moments. What an actor. He never gives up on a character, really, even when he's not the main focus.

Anyway, this is just a general conclusion, based on my own expectations, for both the character and the actor. I understand a lot of people loved James in this. I loved him too, but the truth is, he wasn't given enough material to develop his Xavier. And then we have this stupid Anne Thompson talking about "winners" and "losers" in First Class, and obviously Fassbender is the "winner" and James is the "loser". It's nice that a lot of the comments disagree with her. But unfortunately, that dumb notion of winners and losers in Hollywood tend to stick. :csad:

I still have A LOT more to talk about the film. Going to see it again this week, btw.

Last edited:
I would've liked to see more of Charles, too. For example, the scene where he's declared a professor, we should've seen the actual event. If he received his Ph.D. in genetics, which he clearly did, we should have seen that take place. Also, I would've liked to have seen him teaching at Oxford, if only for one scene. Charles' paralysis was one of my favorite scenes - his conversation with Erik, and the moment they part ways, was moving. His final scene with Moira was also touching - I'd like to see her in a sequel that expands on their relationship. His "anonymity is a mutant's first defense" line to Moira just spoke to me.

James talked a lot in interviews about Charles days at Oxord - the pubs, the girls, having nice conversations while having a beer. It seems a lot was cut out from the final movie. Even when they announced "Charles Francis Xavier, professor..." we don't get to see him. :mad: And the idea of a romantic relationship with Moira was cut out too.

Wasn't there discussion of Xavier using his powers to incite student (or student/mutant) uprising on campus? Just another idea that got cut, I suppose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"