• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HBO Sci-Fi Series ‘’The Nevers’’

Another twist I didn't see coming. So now we've gone from X-Men to the Prestige. I ain't complaining. :up:

So next episode's showing us the Galanthe mission, then. Interesting. Honestly, with the behind-the-scenes stuff causing the delay, I was expecting a Doom Patrol S2 sort of situation where the next episode wouldn't feel like any kind of proper (mid-season) finale, but it kinda looks like it will.

Meh, Laura Donnelly's not exactly a prude with showing off her body. She did it in Outlander already and has apparently done so several times. Or so I hear...

As much as I hate to admit, Whedon killed it in this episode. Really good. :eek: :dry:

Again, its HBO. this stuff is tossed in needlessly. I understand that. However, with what we know about, the possibility of him directing those scenes makes me feel uncomfortable. Frankly, the Ms. Adair bit, with no actual nudity, made me more uncomfortable.

Its sort of like episode 3, where the needless sex and nudity mares an excellent episode for me.

I feel like I missed an episode or a scene, when did the doctor and Amalia become an item and with the amount of times they used the word 'galanthi' in their vocabulary

Last edited:
I feel like I missed an episode or a scene, when did the doctor and Amalia become an item and with the amount of times they used the word 'galanthi' in their vocabulary

They talked about having an affair either last week or the previous one.

The "making of" part post-episode revealed that Covid affected this episode. Instead of shooting at Westminster, they had to shut down for 6 months and they built a set and used CGI to create the crowd.

Another twist I didn't see coming. So now we've gone from X-Men to the Prestige. I ain't complaining. :up:

So next episode's showing us the Galanthe mission, then. Interesting. Honestly, with the behind-the-scenes stuff causing the delay, I was expecting a Doom Patrol S2 sort of situation where the next episode wouldn't feel like any kind of proper (mid-season) finale, but it kinda looks like it will.
Yeah, HBO MAX chief content said it feels like a "natural break" at six. Which, of course, could very much be an executive excuse for them not wanting to wait for the rest of the episodes, but it feels like it's probably true.

Do we know if they started filming the rest of the season?

A number of reviewers have opined that Penance’s motivation for the rescue mission was unconvincing. For example, she expresses indignation that Maladie’s execution is to be public — implying that a normal/private one wouldn’t inspire her to act…? Or: Penance concludes that Maladie is really being executed for being “Touched” and that the other charges are pretext. And indeed, Lord Massen admits as much. But it’s not as if she was framed; we know that Maladie is actually guilty of her crimes. So, again, Penance’s motivation doesn’t seem entirely satisfactory in terms of the (great) risk to St. Romaulda’s versus a dubious reward.

To be sure, Amalia gives voice to many of these issues. This is a standard writer’s technique: raise the questions that would naturally occur to the audience. But for this technique to work, there should be good answers. And according to some critics, the answers were weak.

I agree with the reviewers. Penance's motives were ridiculous but I guess it was necessary to advance the plot.

The promo for the next episode said "season finale". Not "mid-season finale"...

Yeah, I've seen that too. Maybe they released more than one on Sunday.

I'm not aware that the remaining four episodes (boosted to six, according to some reports) have even begun filming. And if the delay is much longer, it's sorta academic whether they're called Season One Pt. 2 or Season Two, no?

I think the issue with calling it "season finale" might be exactly that they could be calling it that because they know it may take forever for the remaining episodes to air. My bigger concern and question is whether the rest of the season is still a sure thing or not.

I’m also confused on the number of episodes. It got a 10-episode season order, so there should be 4 left, but I read an interview with one of the actresses talking about the new showrunner and “Part 2” of the season, saying she had exciting plans for the “remaining six.” It kinda sounded to me like they’re completely rewriting from here on, and making a pitch for 2 more episodes while they’re at it. So…it might be a while.

When Effie first showed up I thought she was someone disguised to get into the police station, but the show played it straight like the character was supposed to look that way so I dismissed it as an odd bit of character/costume design. I never would have guessed that she was Maladie. Did the same actress play Effie and Maladie or did they use cgi to transition between Effie and Maladie?

Also thats got to be the most low energy rescue attempt, mass murder, riot, public hanging I've ever seen. It barely even qualified as a public hanging. Whedon spent 50 minutes building to that scene, and arguing the merits of a public hanging, making Penny look damn foolish in the process, and that's all he could do? Where were the soldiers? Where was the massive crowd? It didn't warrant the buildup that Whedon gave it, and worse is that Whedon bumped the Galanthi mission and Beggar King stuff to the next episode. This show has dicked around and dragged ass with the Galanthi plot too much this season.

I think the issue with calling it "season finale" might be exactly that they could be calling it that because they know it may take forever for the remaining episodes to air. My bigger concern and question is whether the rest of the season is still a sure thing or not.

My bigger concern is will the general viewers even care. The show has done a piss poor job of developing its main plot and main character in any clear and meaningful way. And Episode 5 was mediocre.

It was definitely Amy Manson as both of them.

I'm loving the show, myself. Penance and Maladie are quickly becoming favorites of mine.

I'm ashamed I didn't see that... And I saw her with a clean face in Once Upon A Time.

I’m also confused on the number of episodes. It got a 10-episode season order, so there should be 4 left, but I read an interview with one of the actresses talking about the new showrunner and “Part 2” of the season, saying she had exciting plans for the “remaining six.” It kinda sounded to me like they’re completely rewriting from here on, and making a pitch for 2 more episodes while they’re at it. So…it might be a while.

According to Variety, it was in pre-production in January: Joss Whedon Series 'The Nevers' Taps Philippa Goslett as Showrunner - Variety

The Nevers” is still due to debut in 2021. According to an individual with knowledge of the production, production on the first season was interrupted by the pandemic, with the first half of the first season completing production in the U.K. in the fall. Goslett will oversee the second half of Season 1, which is currently in pre-production.

Well, THAT wasn't how I thought the episode would go... It was helpful hearing the HBO bit before hand, making it clear that the episode was the finale of Part 1, or midseason finale.

Claudia Black!!!! Aeryn mutha ****ing Sun!!!! Hell yeah. The accent was throwing me off for a bit, but I recognized her.

I'm a bit torn. Not a huge fan of the whole "Epitaph One" essence of the beginning of the episode. Claudia Black does a LOT on making me more accepting. I hope we do not visit the future very often. The set up there is not as interesting as what we have in the past. Though, I will take what we can get in order to get more Claudia Black. However, the opening of the episode was very important to the rest of the episode.

It was nice to see Molly True. She's not the character we've known throughout the season, but it was good to see the conditions that lead to her attempting to commit suicide. Or, she was more successful than we thought. Big props to Laura Donnelly for her accent work this episode. Between Molly's accent, to north american accent after the possession, and her work on creating her current accent. And it was nice to see Malady as Sarah. And I did feel bad for her and Mrs. True leaving to the mercy of the american Frankenstein. Surprisingly, very little of the actual attempt to get to the Galanthi. Liked her little talk with it, though I need to watch it again, as I may have missed a few things.

Well, good riddance to Whedon. Very much a good place to go on without him.

Definitely not what I was expecting for episode 6, but so awesome to see Claudia Black in it.
I can't recall the last time I saw her in anything, although she gets lots of voice work.

The episode was good. It was also kind of...exhausting? There was a lot to absorb as it jumped around, and if it isn't a season finale (I find "Part 1 Finale" ambiguous) that's just as well because it ended on something of a down note. I think the way it started serves a purpose, but I want to get back to business as usual.

Some behind-the-scenes info via Deadline.com...

Deadline: Has any part of the second half of The Nevers been shot?
Laura Donnelly: Not a thing.
Deadline: And when does production start?
LD: Soon. It’s within the next few months this summer.

So it seems there will be a part 2 to season 1.

‘The Nevers’ Laura Donnelly Talks Finale & Series Future Post Joss Whedon – Deadline

Mess. Not sure why HBO ordered parts. Of course in this situation it may help but in general?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"