HBO Sci-Fi Series ‘’The Nevers’’

Too bad this will probably air again in a year. That's way too long for a second half of the same season. I'm also very curious how the show will continue without Whedon, though it seemingly won't be affected that much in these remaining episodes. Even with the two episodes addition and rewriting stuff, the general outline will probably remain very similar.

I liked the finale but I'm also a bit mixed about things.
On one hand I really liked the future stuff on itself. It was similar to the Dollhouse season finales but this time it was a nice contrast of two totally different eras and it worked here as well. On the other hand I'm not a fan of Amalia's origin. The fact that she's a whole other person from the future in a different body somehow lessens the character a bit for me. Maybe it's the surprise and I'll get used to it as the series moves forward. Also I don't know what to think of the Myrtle tease but I hope it's not another case of her not being who she appears to be.

I mean, its a good stopping point, imo, for a break.

I agree, the whole Epitaph One method of an episode is not a great idea, and I think that speaks to Whedon not feeling confident enough in the premise.

After the very confusing first 26 minutes of the episode, as soon as things started unraveling, I loved the episode at the end. I didn't realize it was Claudia Black until the credits. Amazing acting from Laura Donnelly. "I've got world class **** but I can't see over a chair." :funny: World class acting should be included. As Dennis O'Hare said in the making of bit, the tragedy that Amalia betrays Sarah, for the sake of her mission, ends up creating Madalie.

I can't wait for the next 6 episodes.

Was not expecting an Epitaph One, but certainly made it feel more like a proper finale. And Claudia Black! :woo: Very pleasant surprise there. Overall now I just have more questions, which I guess is the point. Nice to get Molly's story. The acting was exceptional, and I was surprised to see how easily Amalia/Zephyr really did just throw Sarah under the bus. I mean, I get it, but damn, that was cold.

They might as well call the next set of episodes S2, tbh.

Based on some recent online articles... it seems like The Nevers is now more broadly available in the UK (?). And perhaps the UK critics are less critical (?)... Because the show's RT score has shot up from a dismal 46% "rotten" to an impressive 50% "rotten."

:word:

The Nevers: Season 1 - Rotten Tomatoes

I just watched the first episode of this on hbomax. It was really good! I’m sad Joss isn’t gonna get to finish the story himself but Jane Espenson and Doug Petrie are still on the show I assume so I hope the show gets to continue!

Oh, HBO, maybe he'll do something different...
KilmVSK.gif
I was pleasantly surprised that
the touched weren’t just women

Im surprised it wasnt just cancelled. But exciting change? Come on Joss...you dont leave your baby because of exciting change.

Joss got married to his gf in Hawaii back in February. I guess that is what he was referring to.

I do think the period piece and accents helped prevent the dialogue from feeling too Whedonesque.
I really wish they cast Anthony Head in this show but whoever the older actor is in that organization that wants to stop the touched is a outstanding actor. I could’ve easily seen Anthony Head playing that role.

I finally got around to binging all 6 episodes of this yesterday and actually really enjoyed it. The last episode was a bit confusing especially at the beginning, but man the special effects throughout this show are pretty top notch and I'm glad they could convince a heavy hitter network like HBO to invest so much money into it.

Really loved alot of the performances too, but Laura Donnelly, Olivia Williams and Pip Torrens really stole the show for me and it was awesome seeing actors like Nick Frost and Claudia Black be apart of this show aswell.

Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

John Campea has really loved this show, talked about it yesterday and today. He hasn't seen episode 6 yet so I'm curious what he thinks of it. He also mentions how "you're not supposed to like anything with Whedon involved" these days but the quality of the show is just so good.

Saw episode 6 last night and that certainly explains everyone's "twist" comments. Had not seen what was referenced but wow. Now I wonder how much of that is going to get expanded on in the second half of the season, once they begin filming it.

John Campea has really loved this show, talked about it yesterday and today. He hasn't seen episode 6 yet so I'm curious what he thinks of it. He also mentions how "you're not supposed to like anything with Whedon involved" these days but the quality of the show is just so good.

UPDATE: he wasn't a fan of episode 6. He also didn't know they split the first season into two 6 episode parts until a viewer mentioned it.

Since there are no new episodes to talk about...

I spend the first half of the episode checking to make sure I was watching the right show lol. Talk about confusing.
This was me. I actually didn't care for the future bits at all. :(

So I finally managed to watch this over the last week and I’m a little lukewarm to it. Maybe because it was forced to stop at a point they didn’t plan to, or because there’s so much stuff with superpowered people nowadays that it was hard for this show to really find it’s footing and make itself stand out even with the Victorian setting. It’s got a lot of The 4400 in it and some X-Men too. It wasn’t bad by any means, there was a lot to like but there was also just a lot, period. I think some of the stuff needed more time to breathe. So many subplots and surprises and twists. And it felt like there was a lot being given to us in terms of plot and world-building but only a few characters got actual characterisations while most others stood in the background until something happened to them or until they were needed.
Like the only reason I was sad about Mary’s death was because it was Eleanor Tomlinson. We barely even knew Mary before she was killed so abruptly. It also felt a bit disingenuous that all the characters were so affected by her death even though they only knew her for like a day. I felt the same about Lucy being a spy or Bonfire Annie turning good. It’s hard to care for these twists when we barely know the characters.
I predicted that the source of their powers was from the future and I expected Amalia to be from the future too but I think her character suffers because of that. We kind of knew all along that we don’t have the full picture with her, but it’s still strange to know that she’s a different person all together. It probably wouldn’t have bothered me as much if the rest of the season continued on without a break and we had gotten to spend more time with her knowing everything. But as it is, we were just left at a weird spot. I’m curious if she’ll go by Zephyr now. I suppose not since only Penance knows that name as of yet.
Anyway, like I said I think it has too much going on. If there are only 10 episodes, then that means we are over halfway through and we’re still just getting to know the main characters. I really have no clue what the endgame is with Hugo Swann, Lord Massen
Did he fake his daughter’s death? That’s her in that one locked room in his house, isn’t it?
, the Beggar King or even Lavinia Bidlow. Oh and I’m not enjoying Maladie. Her scenes are the hardest for me to sit through for whatever reason. Though I did like the twist with the reporter. I genuinely did not see that coming. I did think what happened to her at the asylum was really, really sad. Looking forward to that getting dealt with again. I hope the break isn’t too long. But I guess it will be a while since they haven’t started shooting yet I think.

Also, just wanted to shoutout to that one fight with the giant guy that was walking on water. That was really creative and it looked cool as hell.

Just call it season f***ing 2 at that point, you jerks! :argh:

Glad production has FINALLY started, though, and a confirmation that it's not just 4 more episodes, lol.
Yeah it's definitely season 2. I thought it was confirmed that they'll be filming an additional 6 episodes.

I'm guessing it will air around spring again at the earliest. Too bad we're going to have to wait that long for the rest, but it was expected when they confirmed they had stopped filming after Whedon's departure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"