The Force Awakens How much influence is JJ Abrams going to have?

ray243

Civilian
Reaction score
Compared to the other few movies made or produced by JJ Abrams, he seems to have a more limited influence on the film. For one, he was not involved in writing the original story draft, as it has already been done by Lucas.

Additionally, the script writer was chosen before Abrams even joined the crew, meaning he cannot rely on his long time partners to help him script the movie. With the recent news that the concept artist was hired by Kennedy herself rather than JJ Abrams, it does seems this is a movie whereby the director played a smaller role than the producer.

I am getting the feeling that even though Abrams might be the director, the person who is really shaping the new Star Wars movie is Kennedy herself. I see as a good thing, since it was exactly the same scenario for Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi. Even though both movies were directed by other directors, we can easily see the hand played by Lucas in the movies.

This allows multiple directors to continue the main saga, and prevent it from stagnating under the hands of one director.

What are your feelings on this? Do you support the idea of limiting the influence JJ Abrams have on the next Star Wars movie? Or should he have free reign over the movie?

This is definitely Kathleen's baby, which is a good thing, imo. Collaboration is always better than lack of it, so the fact that we have a screenwriter who sin't the director, a director who isn't the producer etc etc, will probably yield better results.

I'm with Gianakin.

I do think JJ has a say in the art design, notes on the script, and visual effects. I also thinking, if I was a betting man, that JJ will still use film over digital.

But yes, I think ultimately it's Kennedy who is guiding the project, keeping things in check.

JJ's influence is also pretty important, since what he ok's in the art department becomes the "image" of the new trilogy. So he's definitely setting some artistic rules, which is no small matter.

In addition, a lot of JJ's usual team (editor, production cooridnator, second unit) are coming back for Star Wars.

Plus, I'm sure he has a lot to say about casting.

Hopefully not too much. That's not me hating on Abrams by the way, it's just that Star Wars has its own long-established style and "language".

Knowing that JJ is a Star Wars fan, I trust that he understands that Star Wars is much bigger than he is and he'll keep his ego in check and won't try to put his "stamp" on it or whatever like he did with Star Trek.

He might not be able to do his little Mystery Box thing with SW.

I could not agree more. Hopefully he'll step down and just go back to wrecking new trek...

You're entertaining. You just bored me twice in one bored swift stroke.

Last edited:
Well, Abrams wasn't a big Trek fan, and he comes off downright unenthusiastic at times. He says he's a big Star Wars fan, so it'll be interesting to see if he puts any soul into this thing.

I think he will.

And I'll defend the living hell out of his first Star Trek; he made something that should've work into something that's bursting with so much energy and excitement.

Well, Abrams wasn't a big Trek fan, and he comes off downright unenthusiastic at times. He says he's a big Star Wars fan, so it'll be interesting to see if he puts any soul into this thing.

The guy comes off as really enthusiastic when it comes to Trek.

The guy comes off as really enthusiastic when it comes to Trek.

Haven't actually seen him in many interviews, but in one with Jon Stewart, he actually said he was never a Trek fan.

And then there's the part where he says he couldn't make "just" a Star Trek movie.

Maybe that was an off day.

I don't hold it against him. The Star Trek movies are a well executed, soulless piece of film designed to appeal to the largest possible audience while retaining the name, and the central characters of Star Trek.

I think he wasn't that enthusiastic when it came to 'Darkness'. Well it could be other factors too, like how he got the 'Star Wars' gig months before 'Darkness' premiere.

If JJ never got SW, his demeanor would've been different when promoting 'Darkness'.

I will say the actors certainly seemed to be into the first movie, Abrams, I have no idea.

So, now that he has a movie he actually cares about in a way that doesn't involve pleasing various parties, I'm curious to see the outcome.

I don't know, all the actors and crew say he had a lot of energy on the set of both Treks.

He saved Trek, so I don't care if he was a fan or not.

Mark Stephen Johnson is a huge Daredevil and Ghost Rider fan (especially the former). See where that got us.

Makes sense. Everything JJ does for Ep7 will have an at least visual impact on the new stage of the franchise.

He saved Trek, so I don't care if he was a fan or not.

He "saved" Star Trek by removing everything unique about it and making it unrecognizable.

Last edited:
Your frustrations fill me with..joy. Pure Joy. Does that make me a bad personnnnn?

Last edited:
He "saved" Star Trek by removing everything unique about it and making it unrecognizable.

599.gif

That's ok Soapy I don't like what Trek's become as well. It's essentially irrelevant to me. It was already going downhill when it went into unnecessary prequel territory on Enterprise.

George Lucas said at the "Women In Film" interview 2 months ago that he thinks JJ is great and understands "the thing" but if he doesn't, "Kathy will keep it straight."

http://watch.accesshollywood.com/vi...abrams-directing-new-stars-wars/2477283061001

George Lucas was lauded for his humanitarian work, and for putting women in positions of power on and off screen. He accepted his award from the woman he named to the helm of Lucasfilm, Kathleen Kennedy.

"George Lucas gave us a fast-talking, blaster-toting spitfire by the name of Princess Leia," Kennedy said.

Carrie Fisher, the actress who portrayed Leia, said via video that the character was one of the first women and girls could truly look up to.

Lucas said he "turned my whole life over" to Kennedy after being schooled throughout his life in the power of women, first by his sisters, then by his daughters.

"In the end, you will win," he said.

Article

Your frustrations fill me with..joy. Pure Joy. Does that make me a bad personnnnn?

I don't know what you're talking about, no frustration here. I don't think the movies are bad, and I don't even dislike them necessarily. They just have **** all to do with Star Trek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"