The Dark Knight Rises How should Nolan End Batman's Story?

I mean the movie COULD be about him refusing to believe and accept he is Gothams true hero,like Harvey was.

Then by the end the truth COULD come out through whatever means,and Batman is cleared,and all his heroic acts throughout could pay off for him.

In the end feeling he has failed,as all the criminals Harvey put away are released and his reputation slandered. But Gordon reassures him Harvey wouldn't have it any other way,as he believed in Batman more than himself and now Gotham does. All the criminals Harvey put away,Gordon tells Batman they will both put them right back where they belong. So it ends on a bittersweet,but triumphant note.

Damn. You are nailing this! Great job Mr. Nolan..uh, I mean Rodrigo!

Seriously, I love it and its so logical that I have to believe that is what we'll see in the movie.

On one hand, Batman shouldnt be a fugitive from the police, but on the other, he cant be a goody superhero like Superman. He needs to be redeemed but in a way that doesnt change who he is. He still needs to be a terrible figure after this.

Thank You. :)

A key part to Bruce believing the truth is for the best in the end,could come from Alfred revealing he burnt Rachel's letter (Maybe causing a brief rift between the 2 in their belief of things). That people need to be trusted with the truth,no matter how bad it is,especially with greater things at stake than what causes the lie in the first place. Bruce needs to keep and put more faith into people,like in Rachel's letter.

Even Riddler with a prophesied message like other TDK lines,
"Liars Always Get Found Out In The End".

Last edited:
On one hand, Batman shouldnt be a fugitive from the police, but on the other, he cant be a goody superhero like Superman. He needs to be redeemed but in a way that doesnt change who he is. He still needs to be a terrible figure after this.

Right. That is why eventually he will be known in Gotham as the "Dark" Knight.

Actually,by the end,I think people will recognise Batman as The Dark Knight. They must know what dark, extreme, measures he went to protect the city,and he will continue to do and be that. His reward is acceptance as their true protector,but still not knowing anymore about him and Batman safely keeping his distance as their watchful protector...Gotham's Dark Knight. It doesn't change who he is,just his symbol as a deputized hero.

Last edited:
Actually,by the end,I think people will recognise Batman as The Dark Knight. They must know what dark, extreme, measures he went to protect the city,and he will continue to do and be that. His reward is acceptance as their true protector,but still not knowing anymore about him and Batman safely keeping his distance as their watchful protector...Gotham's Dark Knight. It doesn't change who he is,just his symbol as a deputized hero.

:up:

I mean the movie COULD be about him refusing to believe and accept he is Gothams true hero,like Harvey was.

Then by the end the truth COULD come out through whatever means,and Batman is cleared,and all his heroic acts throughout could pay off for him.

In the end feeling he has failed,as all the criminals Harvey put away are released and his reputation slandered. But Gordon reassures him Harvey wouldn't have it any other way,as he believed in Batman more than himself and now Gotham does. All the criminals Harvey put away,Gordon tells Batman they will both put them right back where they belong. So it ends on a bittersweet,but triumphant note.
The criminals Harvey put away aren't going anywhere. They were sent to the pen through legit means. His short-lived insanity doesn't retroactively diminish that.

My understanding is that the only way(s) that those convictions could be overturned because of Dent's insanity is if it could be proven he was insane at the time of the trials AND because of that, he gained those convictions by illegal means (i.e.,falsifying evidence, co-ercing witnesses to change ther testimony, etc).
You couldn't overturn those convictions because he went nuts after the trials were over and done with.
Harvey going nuts afterwards is not an automatic "Get Out Of Jail Free" card for the mobsters.

That guy Dent threatened, Thomas Schiff, could cause problems. Even with the truth coming out, Schiff's reveal of being threatened before Harvey turned insane might make the courts decide of his corruption.

But Schiff having schizophrenia, he couldn't be believed,but if he is used at the very part of the reveal,it would certainly put everything Harvey did BEFORE insanity into a frenzy. Cause Shiff being back to the Asylum in those circumstances of TDK,obvious questions would have brought forward to him,and he might've admitted what Harvey did,but nobody would believe him.

But that might not be the case at all.

Please never consider a position in law enforcement.

Harvey Dent is a leading prosecutor. If word was to get out that he's a crazy killer, all the crime bosses in prison would have sufficient grounds for appeal. All the convictions of all the cases Dent has ever tried could be overturned, and all the crime bosses would be back on the street. The movie mentions this a few times. In their first meeting, the mayor cautioned Dent that he had better watch himself, because all they need is a little dirt on him and all the cases would crumble. During the scene where Dent threatens Shiff, Batman warns Dent that killing him would put all the cases in jeopardy. Batman tells this to Gordon at the end.

I'm just saying Dent's insanity would not mean an instant pass out of jail for the mob. It would still have to be proven that this problem existed during the trials and that it had an influence on the outcome. It would certainly cause doubt amongst some, but it would not be an automatic pardon.
IMO, it's something that would be very difficult to prove, if not impossible,and, as you said, the only witness to Harvey's one possible "misdeed" is a well known mental patient, whose testimony would be highly suspect. A problem, yes, but not a slam dunk for the mob by any means.

Harvey Dent is a leading prosecutor. If word was to get out that he's a crazy killer, all the crime bosses in prison would have sufficient grounds for appeal. All the convictions of all the cases Dent has ever tried could be overturned, and all the crime bosses would be back on the street. The movie mentions this a few times. In their first meeting, the mayor cautioned Dent that he had better watch himself, because all they need is a little dirt on him and all the cases would crumble. During the scene where Dent threatens Shiff, Batman warns Dent that killing him would put all the cases in jeopardy. Batman tells this to Gordon at the end.

ONLY if it can be proven he was nuts during those trials . They're not gonna just release everyone on the POSSIBILITY that he was crazy then. At worst it would provoke an investigation, which, unless Dent was as incompetent as the L.A.P.D. was at investigating O.J., I don't think they would have anything to worry about.

i have two suggestions- One, Batman looks over Gotham City saying (Just like Batman:TAS) I am darkness, i am the night, I am BATMAN! Or, he could look over his parents grave laying a rose and then he gets in the batmobile and drives away and then we see the bat-signal in the sky. If they rebuild it, that is.

i have two suggestions- One, Batman looks over Gotham City saying (Just like Batman:TAS) I am darkness, i am the night, I am BATMAN! Or, he could look over his parents grave laying a rose and then he gets in the batmobile and drives away and then we see the bat-signal in the sky. If they rebuild it, that is.

Yea I would love some ref to his parent's death anywhere in the film... given it wasnt really touched on in TDK...

but you know how focused Chris Nolan's Bat movie are... and his parents death was already dealth with heavily in the first movie, so I doubt the third movie will dwell on that plot again

I hope the film ends with Batman looking over the city but thats just what I want as a visual.

I would like to see the story end with Batman knowing he will be doing this forever (well aslong as he lives anyway). I hope Nolan doesn't actually end it as in finishing it off by having him die or something. I hope its an ending in a way that leaves it open but also ends Nolan's trilogy.

Yea I would love some ref to his parent's death anywhere in the film... given it wasnt really touched on in TDK...

but you know how focused Chris Nolan's Bat movie are... and his parents death was already dealth with heavily in the first movie, so I doubt the third movie will dwell on that plot again

It wouldnt hurt to go back for a brief scene concerning his parents. They are a substantial part of why he's batman in the first place.

What's triumphant about that? Anyway, that's essentially how 'Begins' ended and you don't end your run on a comic book film trilogy on a down note. I mean let's cut to the chase already and at last have Bruce himself accept without inner doubt or outside influence that he alone is Gotham's defender - The Batman.

We kinda already got that with BB. TDK sort of just set him up back to square...zero, again.

Batman has never been about win or loss in 1 game,but the continuing battle to be triumphant. It should never end on a sugarcoated happy ending,cause it doesn't in the comics. Its raw and shows the truth in things of how they really are in a good/evil world. Win a battle,but neither side will ever win the war. But despite down notes,good always remains the strongest.

Bruce is pretty stubborn in these runs,and his friends know the truth, while he doesn't. They should and obviously will play a part in him accepting his true role and importance of being Batman.

No, it didn't. It just made him question his effectiveness as a hero to Gotham. Somewhat like what Spider-Man did in Spider-Man 2. But unlike Spider-Man, Batman never actually gave up. And unlike in Spider-Man, Batman made a huge sacrifice for the greater good of Gotham at the end.

Seeing him live with that choice in Batman 3 should be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"