How would you end the Burton/Schumacher series?

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
Imagine if, in say 2000, you were given the task of crafting one final movie of the Batman/Schumacher continuity, a Batman V, to wrap up everything before Begins started the story anew. What would you do? Who would you cast as Batman? Continue with Clooney, or go back to Keaton? Or maybe Kilmer? Would you get rid of Batgirl or try to strengthen her character? Would you return to previous villains (Catwoman is still out there, Freeze, Ivy and the Riddler are in Arkham)? Who would Bruce end up with, Vicki, Chase? Nobody?

Schumacher was planning Batman V as his last one, and so the idea of the Scarecrow making Batman hallucinate past villains, combined with Harley Quinn being out for revenge for the Joker's death in the first movie, tie things up nicely.

That's a good question. I think the best decision would have been to bring back Tim Burton and Michael Keaton. Burton had big plans for Batman 3 before he got screwed by Warner Bros. I would have let Burton allow Batman V to be a combination of his original intensions for the third installment, the crap Schumacher set-up, and a great finale for the series. And, if Burton wouldn't have wanted to return to the directing chair I would have asked to atleast return as a producer/writer/creative consultant.

I'd have it centre on Arkham mainly, with a much more gothic feel.
Here is an outline of how I'd end it, it's a bit long :yay:

Dr Quinn is observing the case study of famous rogues, we see clips of crimes captured on film- The Penguin giving a speech, Two-Face at the circus and Ivy at the charity event. Finally she watches the clips of the Joker- footage of his poisoning, and of the adverts whereby the models say "Love that Joker". Quinn is hypnotised by him...she repeats it to herself- "Love that Joker".

Professor Crane becomes increasingly aware of her obsessions with the Joker, and offers to help her learn more. He reveals his alter ego, The infamous Scarecrow, to Quinn and pursuades her to aid him in bringing down Batman, whom he feels is a challenge worth taking.

Batman has opened his life up to Julie, whom he has married. The happy time is brief, as she is missing presumed dead from early on. This puts the Dark Knight back into a serious attitude while he investigates her disappearance.

Batgirl is much more independant in this movie- she is more of 'an agent' than a sidekick, and does her own patrolling. She runs into Harley Quinn who is holding up a bank. They fight and Quinn escapes.

Robin doesn't whinge or moan, he's much more adult and mature, and spends a lot of the film concentrating on a villain like Zsasz or someone.

The Scarecrow tires of his prisoner Julie, and kills her before sending the body back to Wayne Manor.

Alfred receives the parcel, Bruce receives the message. The mask goes back on, and the anger that he hasn't felt since Jack Napier terrorised Gotham returns quickly. The Batmobile shoots wrecklessly towards the City and he makes the criminals truely fear him. Batgirl learns of the Scarecrows true identity through her computing skills, and works out that he and Julie went to school together, where she teased him for him appearance. Batman heads to Arkham, but it's a trap. (Nameless) inmates are set free and make it hell.

Harley Quinn declares her crimes in the name of the Joker, hoping to attract attention. Batgirl goes to investigate, and begins her final fight.

Zsasz is finally cornered by Robin, and they have a spectacular fight where Dick is slashed, but ultimately defeats him. Detectives Bullock and Montoya, accompanied by Officers, arrive on the scene to take him away.

The Scarecrow breaks into Police headquarters and sets off explosives which spray out fear gas, sending the police force into chaos. Commissioner Gordon, and others, make it to the roof to use the Signal. Bullock is contacted too, with Robin beside him. The Redbird and Police Cars speed to HQ in a hurry.

The scene is filled with chaos, Robin manages to rescue Gordon and the others, then hears Batman's bleep for help. Gordon calls for backup to control the crazed police and tells Robin not to hang around if batman needs him. Harley lures Batgirl to Arkham, where she surprises her and shoots her in the spine.

Batman defeats the inmates, and comes up against the Scarecrow. Robin arrives too, and Crane uses his fear gas on him, leaving him vulnerable to his gang and their attacks. Batman goes after the man himself and ends up hallucinating about his parents, their death and the Joker's tourments.
He sees the Joker laughing constantly, watches Catwoman fade into the dark and vanish, and Harvey Dent crawl on the ground with steam rising from his face.

Then he sees Vicki, Selina, Chase and Julie and brings himself to snap out of it. He defeats Scarecrow and gives him a taste of his own medicine. Bruce rushes to Robin, who is in a critical state, but begins to crawl to Batgirl. Harley Quinn emerges and strikes at the already weakened Batman. She hits with all she has, but is stopped. Once she is handcuffed she breaks free from his hold and takes a leap from Arkham to her death, laughing as she'll be nearer to her puddin'.

Barbara, in a wheelchair, is beside Alfred as they look up to the sky. Batman, who stands over a gargoyle, with a blue-suited Nightwing behind him looks out to Gotham, the city which needs him.

It's very long, I know :O

If I were producer I'd set it 20 years after the horrible events of Batman & Robin.

I'd bring back Keaton and Burton as director and have him create Dark Knight Returns. And ofcourse find a way to bring Joker back.

I'd have it start out the same way as the last two schumacher films did: Close up of batmans ass, getting into the batmobile, alfred says another corny one-liner, batmobile speeds off into gotham city with the ridiculous over the top score pounding through the speakers "Bwaaaaaaan bwan bwan bwan bwaaaan bwan bwan bwan!" The schumacher comes on screen and apologizes for Batman & Robin, the a group of batman fans get to attack him. The end. :)

I'd have it start out the same way as the last two schumacher films did: Close up of batmans ass, getting into the batmobile, alfred says another corny one-liner, batmobile speeds off into gotham city with the ridiculous over the top score pounding through the speakers "Bwaaaaaaan bwan bwan bwan bwaaaan bwan bwan bwan!" The schumacher comes on screen and apologizes for Batman & Robin, the a group of batman fans get to attack him. The end. :)

I don't think we've had that joke before.....no, wait, I remember - every other post for the last ten years.

ROFLMFAOLOL!!!!!!!!!

The one thing I really did like about Schumacher's bat-movies was the awesome score!

It's a shame Batman Forever didn't really come together the way I thought it could have because it serves as a great finale to the first two films and creates a rather intriguing trilogy. The first two films focus on the fact that Bruce Wayne cannot come to terms with himself, with what he has become (Batman) and what he knows will eventually become of him (To Be Alone.) And then you have Batman Forever, where that conflict comes to a head. He eventually resolves the matter because he is both Bruce Wayne and Batman. "Not because I HAVE to be..... Now ...Because I CHOOSE to be."

As for the original question, I have no F@$#ing clue. I think you bring back Tim Burton and Michael Keaton. Like Rocky Balboa, you try to give the series a bookend. I personally enjoy the premise of "revisiting" old villains, because there is room to explore their impact on Batman psychologically and emotionally. I think you have big action-set pieces, I think you revisit Batman's motivations (parent's death, guilt) and tie that facet of the character into the finale, where Batman comes to terms with who he is, because I always felt that was supposed to be the payoff of Keaton's Batman.

It's a shame Batman Forever didn't really come together the way I thought it could have because it serves as a great finale to the first two films and creates a rather intriguing trilogy. The first two films focus on the fact that Bruce Wayne cannot come to terms with himself, with what he has become (Batman) and what he knows will eventually become of him (To Be Alone.) And then you have Batman Forever, where that conflict comes to a head. He eventually resolves the matter because he is both Bruce Wayne and Batman. "Not because I HAVE to be..... Now ...Because I CHOOSE to be."

You are correct! Many don't realize this, but Batman Forever finished what Burton started. Which is the reason why I like the movie. People ask me sometimes why I like BF but hate B & R so much. And, that's the answer I give them. It's too bad that Burton never finished his trilogy. I've ALWAYS believed that if Burton had directed Batman 3 people would look back at his Batman films with more respect. The reason some people are negative towards his Batman films is because they are looking at unfinished work and don't realize that.

I don't think we've had that joke before.....no, wait, I remember - every other post for the last ten years.
gorila.gif

I don't think Burton has ever made a movie longer than 2 hours.

*researches*

Batman 89- 2 hours and 6 minutes
Batman Returns- 2 hours and 6 minutes
Ed Wood- 2 hours and 7 minutes
Big Fish- 2 hours and 5 minutes

*in robot voice*: you are incorrect.

too much damage was done by Forever, and especially Batman and Robin for me to think there's a real way to end it on a high note. Batgirl has been forced into the story in a horrible way. How do you write her better if you never wanted her living at Wayne Manor, you never wanted her to be Alfred's niece, etc? I would definitely kill her off in the opening scene at the hands of somebody who appears to be "The Joker"... all the way back from the first movie. The "who done it" film would see a much more mature Grayson (redubbed nightwing and slowly drifting out of Batman's shadow), an aging Batman who is growing more isolated after Batgirl's death, a broken and near-death Alfred (both over 90 and with failing health due partly to his niece's death), tons of flashbacks of EVERYTHING going through Batman's head. Also, he's starting to come to terms with his age and questioning whether or not the war should or can go on when he's gone. I would probably have Batman die saving Gotham and maybe even more of the world in one HUGE sacrificing, farewell Batman moment from "The Joker" (who he is or how he exists I dunno yet) and have Grayson go off on his own and Alfred eventually pass away. It would have to be a movie totally devoted to Bruce Wayne taking a long retrospective look at his life and himself that ends with him going out like a hero. MAYBE MAYBE have Grayson visiting the cemetery on his motorcycle, standing over his grave swearing vengeance and clutching the cowel, but I dunno. Depends on how their relationship is set up earlier on. Having a similar discussion right now actually... it's tough to let Bruce live into his 60's without getting his face rearranged but it's tough replacing him as "Batman" also. Best to find a way to give him an heir without the bat costume I think.

*researches*

Batman 89- 2 hours and 6 minutes
Batman Returns- 2 hours and 6 minutes
Ed Wood- 2 hours and 7 minutes
Big Fish- 2 hours and 5 minutes

*in robot voice*: you are incorrect.

5-7 minutes isn't really a big difference. Especially since people were talking about 2 and a half to three hours. Burton would never do a movie that long.

The best way to end the Burton/Schumacher series is to pretend that Batman & Robin never happened! Then, you'll be able to do a kickass movie.

Micheal Keaton wakes up from a nightmare and Scarecrow is laughing and talking about nipples. Batman breaks his spine.

Poison Ivy comes in and kicks Batman in the head and he falls over. She stomps him with her stilettos and then craps pheromones all over him. Thorny brambles burst out of the ground and strap him to the bed, then Ivy is pouring champagne but Catwoman jumps in the window and starts whipping her. Batman is starting to freak out.

But Catwoman grabs a candle (Ivy had the place all romantic) and then begins setting fire to shiiit. The thorny brambles whither and die. The bedroom is ablaze and Ivy has vanished . Batman grabs Catwoman and they jump out the window.

Man-Bat sees them and flies down to where they land. They talk for a while. Batman tells Man-Bat to chill out and take it easy and Man-Bat says 'like you can talk' and then Batman gets depressed. He says bye to Catwoman and goes home.

Alfred is preparing a little supper. Bruce sits in a chair in the middle of an empty room and a shadow falls across his face. He sits there for three hours until then he goes to bed.

When wakes up he says 'I want sum fun' and he goes to the circus. He sees some parents get murdered and then he says 'whoa now I'm depressed, I got a short little span of attention and whoa my nights are so long. Where's my wife and family? What if I die here?' and stuff. So he takes the boy orphan home and Alfred prepares a little supper.

Later on the Joker comes back from Iran and beats the orphan boy to death with a crowbar and then lights some fireworks. Superman says 'No, Bruce' and Batman says 'I'm getting drunk then'. He gets drunk for ages and starts falling of buildings. He crashes the Batmobile and Alfred says 'you're father would be a-' but Batman whips him a Venetian tapestry and then cries in his chair. The Batcave goes dusty and Alfred puts sheets on everything, turns of the light, and cries.

15 years later

Bruce crashes a race car and the mutants run amok in Gotham. Bruce is watching the news and another Bat flies through his window. He thinks 'Hhhm, okay' then he hauls himself out of his chair, wheezing and grunting, and goes into his cave. It is dark. He grins wickedly.

A teenager chews gum and walks in dimly lit arcade. But mutants appear and state their intentions to violate her. The girl is about to say 'oh noes' when she hears a growl and sees nothing and then the mutants are embedded in some shattered signage that was formerly a row of coloured bulbs. A shadow moves. The girl turns and screams 'Wha!' and a grim, fat wheezing man says "I'm Batman'

Th end

I would've bring back Keaton and Burton of course and let them finish their trilogy and then say farewell with a Dark Knight Returns movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"