Hype Movie Club

Just be careful with those Uber drivers, never know who's behind the wheel.
x24sjcyb77c51.jpg

The man, the legend, who's behind all these wonderful outfits.

b96b4b23710e88088c9ed19722e4cd1ea3a4f032.jpg

I still think the Burj Khalifa sequence is probably my favorite action set piece of all the recent Mission Impossible movies.

Enjoyed mission impossible. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Ving play a role I didn’t like lol.
The hardest part for me to believe was Jon Voight being so athletic and stealthy lol. And having Claire for a wife lol. I guess this was around the time Anaconda came out and he wanted to be an action star?

The train stuff was pretty great. it was fun.
I did a little reading to learn that Phelps was a character from the tv show (which I’ve also never seen) and that the original actor wasn’t too happy with how it panned out. Sounded like none of the tv stars were too keen on it initially.

I’ll be watching the second soon.
CC is winning Most Improved Movie Watcher this year!

Enjoyed mission impossible. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Ving play a role I didn’t like lol.
The hardest part for me to believe was Jon Voight being so athletic and stealthy lol. And having Claire for a wife lol. I guess this was around the time Anaconda came out and he wanted to be an action star?

The train stuff was pretty great. it was fun.
I did a little reading to learn that Phelps was a character from the tv show (which I’ve also never seen) and that the original actor wasn’t too happy with how it panned out. Sounded like none of the tv stars were too keen on it initially.

I’ll be watching the second soon.
CC is winning Most Improved Movie Watcher this year!
Yeah I didn't find out 'til much later that Jim Phelps was the main character in the TV show, so TV show fans felt betrayed at the time when this came out, lol. Can't say I blame them - I'd feel the same if they'd done that to a character I cared about from one of my shows...but I personally enjoyed the twist.

And yes, Claire being his wife was the most I had to suspend my disbelief in that one. :hehe:

I have seen the MI movies fairly recently cause wife just puts them on all the time when she is sewing or something in the background, which devolves into me watching them. So I am saving my grand MI marathon for DR Part 2.

In general I love them all except for 2. 2 is kind of so bad it's good though. Has all the bad Jon Wooisms and makes me laugh. 1 and 3 I think ate very solid action movies, but 4-6 are when they become elite for me.

Of the original three MI movies, I've only seen most of 2.

So hopefully I can watch them before the new one comes out.

Of the original three MI movies, I've only seen most of 2.

So hopefully I can watch them before the new one comes out.
IMO 2 is the worst one in the series by default but it's not really a "bad movie". The plot is lacking but it still has some decent action. The first movie is fun and I have a soft spot for 3. I don't think I'd call it the best (that'd probably be Fallout) but it might be my favorite one to watch. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is easily the best villain in the series.

Still unreal to me that Cruise hung outside of an A400M in one of those movies, and it was all done practically. There's a lot of crazy stunt work in the series, but they're all pretty grounded in typical adrenaline junkie insanity. That one just feels so detached from our reality and it's cool af :funny:

Last edited:
I remember liking the early MI movies well enough but I really got into the franchise starting with Ghost Protocol, through Rogue Nation and Fallout. These movies, along with the John Wick series, are probably my favourite American action films of the past decade...

I'll try to do Death of Stalin this coming weekend and Lady on Fire later in the month. I've read great things about both films - can't wait :up:

I remember liking the early MI movies well enough but I really got into the franchise starting with Ghost Protocol, through Rogue Nation and Fallout. These movies, along with the John Wick series, are probably my favourite American action films of the past decade...

I'll try to do Death of Stalin this coming weekend and Lady on Fire later in the month. I've read great things about both films - can't wait :up:
Feels like that’s when the successful template of the recent MI films started, despite me also liking all the ones prior. It shows that late sequels don’t need to be mere cash ins and lacking in ideas when you have a motivated enough team who are passionate about heir craft.

Finished Mission: Impossible.

899be2b1d2239dc5a5d39f8de5d26113652366a3.gifv

Some general thoughts:

I thought it was clever how the movie starts so quickly as if you were dropped into one of the episodes from the original show.

I like how quickly you can tell this is a Brian De Palma film.

It's definitely dated but not in a bad way per say. It's funny how far we've come from what was essentially an intense work email exchange. lol

Speaking of extreme mid-90s-ness, shoutout to The Cranberries needle drop at the end and Jean Reno.

Absolutely bizarre choice of making Emmanuelle Béart the wife of Jon Voight's character. And does Emmanuelle Béart look a bit like Ana de Armas and Felicity Jones?

Surprised at how simple the plot was and how it's only built on three major set pieces.

So odd going back and seeing Tom Cruise do a big action set piece behind heavy CG and greenscreen with that train/helicopter chase scene.

I'm actually glad I watched this in preparation for the new one just for Kittridge.

And the vault scene is something I've seen before and parodied countless times so seeing it in its entirety was cool to see. What really made the scene work for me was how quiet it was. I don't think we get scenes like that anymore with big action films.

But overall, it's a true 90s staple in spy action films.

*watching Mission: Impossible 1*

Me: "How did nobody tell me Coach Bombay was in this?"

*a few moments later*

Me:

spider-man-green-goblin.gif

I remember seeing the movie in a theater and being very confused and shocked when that beginning happened. Blew like 9 year or however old I was SF's young mind lol

I loved Mission Impossible 1 as a kid. Still really enjoy it. I can't force myself to watch 2 again though, which I feel is okay given that this month is 2010s and really MI is being included as a lead-up to the new one.

Currently, on 3, and I forgot how un-Mission Impossible it feels. The first act is so generic spy action with lots of shooting and explosions. Definitely falls into the old Abrams, Kurtzman, and Orci trap of dumbing everything down.

Makes me feel so lucky that McQuarrie has taken over the franchise. His movies feel way more like the old show with the mind games and elaborate heists.

That vault scene made my back hurt just watching him in the harness. Especially as a starfish. My spine cringes at the angle in which he was copying the disks lol.
Like Kane said, the quietness of the scene made it even more intense. Every little detail. Including the sweat drop.

I was proud of myself for catching some clues too. Like the Bible. I remembered it as soon as I saw it.
I’m still mad Jim killed those people as brutally as he did. No remorse. If he was a beloved character on the show as I’m lead to believe, no wonder the twist was so shocking and effective. And no wonder why some show loyalists hated it.
Also, still no elevator for me anytime soon lol.

I watched the trailer for MI:2 on Vudu and I already don’t like his hair

That vault scene made my back hurt just watching him in the harness. Especially as a starfish. My spine cringes at the angle in which he was copying the disks lol.
Like Kane said, the quietness of the scene made it even more intense. Every little detail. Including the sweat drop.

I was proud of myself for catching some clues too. Like the Bible. I remembered it as soon as I saw it.
I’m still mad Jim killed those people as brutally as he did. No remorse. If he was a beloved character on the show as I’m lead to believe, no wonder the twist was so shocking and effective. And no wonder why some show loyalists hated it.
Also, still no elevator for me anytime soon lol.

I watched the trailer for MI:2 on Vudu and I already don’t like his hair
His hair weirdly alternates from short to long for like the first 5 movies. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"