Hype Movie Club

As I gear up to watch The Lost Boys tonight, I'm gonna go ahead and throw out the decade for July's picks, so y'all can start thinking up nominations.

But first up, like I said, the rules of the club are a bit fluid while I'm figuring out how best to do it, so for next month, I'm gonna try and simplify the nomination process and just say everyone gets a max of THREE nominations each. This time, it doesn't matter if it's a movie series (and remember, a series just needs one installment released in that decade to qualify) or singular film. Regardless, 3 nominations max. I will revise the opening post in the thread to reflect that new rule. So without further ado, our decade for the month of July is...

THE 2010's

Feel free to begin posting your movie and/or series nominations for the decade of 2010-2019 now! I'll be accepting them through the next Tuesday before posting a final list to vote on.

Also, fear not - lest y'all worry we're keeping this club too contemporary, in August we'll be going MUCH further back in time. :D
A favorite, one I love that not enough people have seen, and a longtime resident of my watchlist

marshall-zhukov.gif

Death of Stalin (2018)

source.gif

The Last Black Man in San Francisco (2019)

beasts-of-the-southern-wild-benh-zeitlin.gif

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

I might have seen that back when I was in High School, lol. I didn't get the hype.

There's 5 of them! Huge fan of those movies lol. Well...4 of them. 5th one sort of feels like a fan film but it was made on legit like 250k and I kind of respect it even got made.

Last edited:
There's 5 of them! Huge fan of those movies lol. Well...4 of them. 5th one sort of feels like a fan film but it was made on legit like 250k and I kind of respect it even got made.
I've only seen the first and it was cheesy back then. I doubt it would hold up now, lol.

Back to Raiders - It's so wild how people still lose their **** over the fridge scene when the sub hitch-hiking happens in the very first movie.

Unrealistic or stupid moments in movies stand out more when you are not enjoying what you're watching. If the fridge thing was the only bad or stupid thing in the movie, no one would talk about it like they do. But KotCS has a lot of garbage in it. Hence why it's fodder for ridicule

I've only seen the first and it was cheesy back then. I doubt it would hold up now, lol.

I actually think they hold up really well. The sequels have really awesome gore and make-up effects work. Things that they just don't do anymore, and I don't think there is a series of movies really like them. They have a stream of consciousness quality to them that I find really engaging

The one that bothers me most is still the raft sequence from ToD. A nuked fridge is nothing compared to that to me. :funny:

Yeah, that moment in ToD is bad and it looks bad also. But like I said, I think why no one is on that scene's case as much is ToD is still largely a movie people like. So it gets a pass the nuked fridge doesn't

In conclusion, Raiders is still great, Brownface and icky backstory aside. Spielberg solidifies his status as the unchallenged king of the blockbuster. So many great action sequences and terrific production value. Ford is an effortlessly likable hero, with his little moments of weariness like the Cairo swordsman and the dejected look when the mechanic picks a fight adding so much to his usual pulpy bravado. Marian is an incredible foil, my biggest issue with the narrative being she should have had even more to do. And her Cairo outfit is one of the GOAT costume designs. Williams score is impeccable. And of course, it's always nice to watch Nazis get their faces melted.

I’m going to narrow my list down from this

the artist
Fighting with my Family
Kubo and the Two Strings
Edge of Tomorrow
Short Term 12

but I like the mission impossible nomination because I’ve never seen any of those either. Or anything on my list of yours FC lol

If I have to narrow it down, I’ll pick the ones from my list I’m most inclined to actually watch lol. All are blind picks for me anyways.

Edge of tomorrow
Fighting with my family
And new choice:
Tomb Raider

You know, a lot of people rightly talk about how super racist Temple of Doom is. But never forget Raiders, with the well known men of color, Alfred Molina and Gimli, son of Gloin.

Ironically, Temple of Doom has a diverse cast with a lot of talented South Asian actors. Spielberg and Lucas apparently insisted on casting Indian actors for the principal roles at the time when that wasn't the norm. Shame about that actual depiction of India (I still love the movie for the most part).

It regards to Gimli, it's even worse when you realize John Rys Davies is an islamophobe, which is weird because he's played several Arab characters in his career. I've already seen a few people complain that he's back in this fifth Indiana Jones movie, but idk.
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom

And how about the depiction of the Chinese as all being corrupt and deceitful? Or how about the village Indians who reach out in an almost rapturous state to touch our white heroes as if they were seeing gods manifest as humans? If one of them had started genuflecting it wouldn't have surprised me. Or how about Willie constantly turning her nose up at their offerings, even though the film makes it clear that the Indians are on the verge of starvation but are still generously offering the little they have to our heroes? We get it, ethnic food is 'gross' :whatever:

At the end of the day I actually enjoyed Temple Of Doom. I just didn't respect it very much...

Anyway, I think I'm ready to give the Indiana Jones movies a break for now. I know many folks keep saying that Crusade is far superior to Temple but I think I'll put that one on the backburner until next time.

Ahem, what about Short Round? The best child sidekick ever! Also pour one out for Wu Hun, Indy's friend who took a bullet for him in the beginning and is promptly forgotten about. Buuut at least Indy avenged his death by flaming shish kebab! Wu Han is also in the Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb video game, which I doubt anyone here played lol.

The white savior stuff and monkey brains is cringe, but I still maintain Temple of Doom is the most thrilling of all the movies. I love how wild it gets, and it almost never stops moving. I like it more than Crusade, sue me.

Last edited:
Nominations are now closed. Here are our nominees for July! Once again, you can vote for UP TO FIVE.

Beasts of the Southern Wild
Blade Runner 2049
Blindspotting
Blue Ruin
The Creep series
Death of Stalin
Drive
Edge of Tomorrow
Fighting With My Family
The Florida Project
Gone Girl
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Ladybird
The Last Black Man in San Francisco
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Master
Moonlight
The Mission: Impossible series
Nightcrawler
Parasite
The Phantasm series
The Place Beyond the Pines
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Predestination
Prisoners
Shadow
Song of the Sea
Tomb Raider
Tuntematon sotilas (The Unknown Soldier)
Whiplash
Zero Dark Thirty

Voting will be open until Thursday night!

The one that bothers me most is still the raft sequence from ToD. A nuked fridge is nothing compared to that to me. :funny:
Yeah, that moment in ToD is bad and it looks bad also. But like I said, I think why no one is on that scene's case as much is ToD is still largely a movie people like. So it gets a pass the nuked fridge doesn't
Y'all nuts, the raft sequence in TOD is absolutely awesome and looks cool as hell :argh:

So the guy Indy got his hat from and had a ~philosophical disagreement~ with was basically the Nathan Drake of the 1910’s lol.

Also I think this one has John Williams’ best overall score of the franchise. Though I might be biased because when I saw him in concert he showed this whole prologue without music and then scored it live for us and my soul left my body.

Aaand now I find myself wondering if George was already at this point planning to do the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, but with River. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"