Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

I think less CGI is key in making it look and feel like the original trilogy. You don't need a lot to make a great Indy movie, just good sets, atmosphere, some cool locations, a sense of danger/adventure and that's pretty much it. We don't love Indy because of the great set pieces, that's just a small part of the charm of the series. They should know that by now, not everything needs to be a huge action set piece.

It’s worth noting that Patrick Stewart in Logan was actually a huge physical transformation for him. He lost a lot of weight to play more fragile than he was.
I think they also used a bit of makeup to make him look older than he was to give him that extra feeble look.

I agree with that, however I'm worried their decisions will stem from fear of alienating people and in turn the results will just be bland. I do think after KOTCS, they're worried about making something polarizing to the fans and they're gonna go for something safer. Not so dissimilar to TFA. And safe is pretty much Disney's middle name.

Indy warrants practical stuff more than SW, and is part of the charm, but at the same time this is 2021. Use tools at your disposal today when needed. I remember back in 2008 people here said they wished they film KOTCS on the same film cameras they did back then. What ridiculous crap.

Last edited:
Just about answer questions?

For one, Ford has always hated interviews, for two just because he’s old doesn’t mean he’s senile.
who said he was senile? But when you listen to him answer, he takes his time, often doesn't sound coherent - he is no spring chicken anymore....

I find it quite amusing you saying this considering that photo from a few days back where Harrison was shown to be in incredibly good shape.

Didn't see a photo, but context is always something... I have seen him, bloke is old, looks like he needs his back cracked - that's nature... the way it is.. it's understandable... I just don't wanna see them trying too hard or trying to kid us he's younger.. like the cgi facelift in Star Wars...

I want an old version of indie... that's fine, but roll with what they got.

Ford will not be a problem. He showed up for Indy last time, it was the material that failed him. But I do hope they play into his age here. One of the defining characteristics of the character was that he was still human despite all the death-defying acts. He could get beaten up, bleed, and at times lose. That was a major problem with Crystal Skulls; even though he was elderly he seemed even more indestructible than he did before, exemplified by the infamous fridge scene. I don't think Mangold will make that same mistake.

He showed up last time?? oh good fro him!!!!

His most recent movie, call to the wild, I get it, every director is different, but you could see this is a different Harrison Ford...

Play him as the old man, is the way to go... I envisage he helps someone one last adventure, where he is the brains, she is the spirit... or he is held captive and needs finding... I only say that as it's kinda... poetic, him being the one thing he looked for his whole career.. the relic of importance.

You always seem to have this weird belief that when an actor reaches a certain age their brain turns to mush and they can barely remember their lines, no matter how many seventy something and eighty something actors are still acting and, just for example, Anthony Hopkins is nominated for an Oscar as we speak.

I like Mangold, but an Indiana Jones film without Spielberg and Lucas is worse than an Indiana Jones film without Ford.

Aye, said this myself, that combination of both will be missed badly and a IJ film, particularly without Spielberg directing for me, puts me off the whole thing frankly.

For me it’s a simple. I think Mangold’s a better director than modern era Spielberg.

Hell, I don’t think Spielberg wanted to return for Crystal Skull, let alone this one. He never seemed as enthusiastic about the franchise as Ford and Lucas did.

For me it’s a simple. I think Mangold’s a better director than modern era Spielberg.

Hell, I don’t think Spielberg wanted to return for Crystal Skull, let alone this one. He never seemed as enthusiastic about the franchise as Ford and Lucas did.

I don't agree at all with that first statement. I don't think it's comparable since their directing styles are completely different, but Spielberg has made many great films in the modern era, most of them serious.

I agree with the second statement. I don't think it's his passion anymore, and Spielberg is at his best when he's passionate about the material.

Spielberg explicitly said he made Indy 4 for the fans and not for himself. It showed in the final product. If his heart isn't in it, he shouldn't be at the helm. Simple as that.

Spielberg explicitly said he made Indy 4 for the fans and not for himself. It showed in the final product. If his heart isn't in it, he shouldn't be at the helm. Simple as that.
Yep

Same with The Lost World. That film lacked a lot of the charm that Jurassic Park has. Plus, it didn’t help how much Lost World deviated from the book. The book is way better

Has Mangold ever done lighter adventure fare? Feel like his movies lean toward the darker, grizzled side (Logan, 3:10 to Yuma, Walk the Line)

A.Ford run should have ended with Crystal Skull if not Last Crusade but you can't let a big name franchise like this one die especially if you can still milk it a bit more until the main actor dies of old age

I don't blame Ford for doing it and the other hand, he could have refused but if he's OK with another movie because he likes the role, fine with me, at least it doesn't look like he did it for money (even if it's a factor).
Let's wait for the first teaser trailer of the teaser of the teaser of the trailer.

You always seem to have this weird belief that when an actor reaches a certain age their brain turns to mush and they can barely remember their lines, no matter how many seventy something and eighty something actors are still acting and, just for example, Anthony Hopkins is nominated for an Oscar as we speak.
Hopkins is not just nominated, he's nominated for what many believe to be the best role of his career. And just a few years ago he was dominating the small screen on Westworld.

The more I think about it, the more the Atlantis idea works. It allows you to do a lot of work with practical sets, reduce the exertion on Ford and the underwater session makes the CGI easier to pull off. (I expect they'll want to use the new D+ tech, but also trust Mangold to be on-set/location as much as possible.

Now give me Jared Harris as a villainous submarine captain!

We comparing Hopkins to Ford now are we? That's.. bold...

Hopkins is not just nominated, he's nominated for what many believe to be the best role of his career. And just a few years ago he was dominating the small screen on Westworld.

The more I think about it, the more the Atlantis idea works. It allows you to do a lot of work with practical sets, reduce the exertion on Ford and the underwater session makes the CGI easier to pull off. (I expect they'll want to use the new D+ tech, but also trust Mangold to be on-set/location as much as possible.

Now give me Jared Harris as a villainous submarine captain!

Hopkins’ performance in The Father is wrenching, especially in the last ten minutes or so, and Jared Harris as a villainous submarine captain would be awesome.

Well, this is just about the only way to make this not a total write off for me after Spielberg dropped out. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a perfect fit for this kind of movie and she'll play off Ford wonderfully, so excited to see them together.

Wish she was working on the script too though. One of my favourite writers in film or television right now, Fleabag is one of the best things I've ever seen.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say he's the villain.

I'm definitely getting Belloq vibes already lol

Maybe the twist will be he's the partner and Phoebe is the villain.

If he is the villain, he's tied with Julian Glover who played a Bond villain, an Indiana Jones villain, and a Star Wars "villain" (I know, not technically, but he did build the damn Death Star!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"