• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ion

LadyVader

Smile like you mean it.
Reaction score
So I read the first issue of Ion and... it's good. I didn't hate it. It served it's purpose of first issue.

So in the past year Kyle has basically been a hermit of sorts. :) He's at some kind of retreat for painters but he knows something is wrong. There was a nice little homage to Radu, his former landlord.. romanian landlord :D . There was a cup with a "Radu's" logo.
My main gripe with the book is... the art. It's a little screwey. :) I don't know this Tocchini character. Is he the same guy that used to do Robin a while back? I don't know if I like it or not... but most panels are very "painting" like. Loose colors, surreal feeling.
As for characterization I am quite pleased to see that Kyle still thinks of himself as "just a guy... who did a job... is still doing it". Nice to see the power hasn't gone to his head like I thought it would after rebecoming Ion.
Looking forward to next issue.

what is it about? has he lost some of his green lantern power? is he more powerful or something? i never read any of the kyle books, but im interested in whats happening. thanks

i agree that the art isn't great, i'm hoping that as the storlyine progesses though that the art starts to click.
i do like his new costume though.

kieron39 said:
what is it about? has he lost some of his green lantern power? is he more powerful or something? i never read any of the kyle books, but im interested in whats happening. thanks

A while back, when he was still the Earth's only GL Kyle temporarly took on the name Ion when he gained some godly powers by siphoning the entire Green Lantern energy, or smth.
He gave that energy away in order to rebuild Oa and subsequently, the new Green Lantern order. Before he did that however he gave a little bit of his power to his then girlfriend Jade.
During Infinite Crisis however Jade gave that little bit of power back to him before her untimely death and it seems that that's the boost he needed to rebecome Ion, ergo... really really really powerful.
What's happening in the first Ion issue is that Kyle is afraid he might lose control over this power and destroy the corps, which is understandable given that it has happened before

I didn't really dig the issue all that much. Probably just 'cause they were startin' up, but also the art threw me for a loop. It was really... Different..

oh.. .so he's still a lantern with the ring and everything?
how did jade die? was she the lantern from the JSA daughter?

He doesn't need a ring anymore.
Jade died in "Rann Thanagar War Infinite Crisis special" in space. Yes, she was Allan Scott's daughter.

i thought it was okay, but i didnt understand the begining when he killed that corps member..and i dont like the art

I don't think he killed the Corps member, and I don't think you're meant to understand why he attacked the two Corpsmen right now. It looks like the series is set up as a mystery that will slowly unravel. I was kind of disappointed by the fact that the issue featured practically no answers about what's really happening to Kyle or how powerful he is or anything. The art was actually better than I expected it to be. I still think Tocchini's all wrong for this series, but his art wasn't totally incomprehensible. I've never been a fan of really "loose" art, though.

So yeah, overall it was good but slightly underwhelming. Maybe I just built it up too much in my head, since I've missed having a Kyle-centric book for so long. I'm hoping Kyle visits Alan Scott at some point, though. They have more in common than ever now--they're both grieving Jade, they're both something just beyond Green Lanterns, they're both struggling with their humanity. Marz would be crazy not to capitalize on those shared traits and have them bond a little over them.

I haven't gotten this yet, but I'm glad that it isn't as bad as I feared it would be. I thought Kyle was going to star in the GL Corps title with Guy so I was disappointed when I heard of this new series. I'm abit annoyed that he couldn't stay as a GL and I don't like the new suit very much, but since Ion is supposedly just 12 issues he could return as a GL later.

I really nejoyed the book, I mean... we have a Kyle book back. That's fantastic.

The art, was a lot better than I heard it was people built it up as horrible but it just a little well artistic.

Seems as if when Jyle looses control of his power the "mask" forms over his face.

But I like seeing him back on Earth and I love double spread of all Kyle's history. There was so much jammed in I spent ages looking at it.

Also, some inks from #2;

ion002006_600.jpg

ion002021_600.jpg

Need to pick this up I guess. I Loved the original ION.

yenaled said:
I really nejoyed the book, I mean... we have a Kyle book back. That's fantastic.

The art, was a lot better than I heard it was people built it up as horrible but it just a little well artistic.

Seems as if when Jyle looses control of his power the "mask" forms over his face.

But I like seeing him back on Earth and I love double spread of all Kyle's history. There was so much jammed in I spent ages looking at it.

Also, some inks from #2;

ion002006_600.jpg

ion002021_600.jpg
Hmm... did the inker change? Maybe he/she was responsible for the confusing visuals in #1 because those #2 inks look a lot clearer.

yenaled said:

Also, some inks from #2;

ion002006_600.jpg

ion002021_600.jpg

Sweet. :eek: :up:

Actually, according to Ron Marz, the inker did change. Apparently Tocchini did the inking himself for the first issue and they got something else for the second. So expect better art to come.

I really liked this issue. Marz always wrote great Kyle, and it really felt like Kyle again, after all that "Great Guardians!" tomfoolery. It was nice to get back to his roots with his painting and stuff. And I actually thought the art wasn't as bad as I'd been warned that it would be; the scenes on Earth were actually quite pleasant.

BrianWilly said:
Actually, according to Ron Marz, the inker did change. Apparently Tocchini did the inking himself for the first issue and they got something else for the second. So expect better art to come.
Sweet. With a good inker to smooth over some of Tocchini's inconsistency, I'm looking forward to the rest of the Ion mini all the more.

The story here was pretty good. I really like the art here though. Its definately something different, but I like it a lot. Can't wait for the next issue.

I wasn't fond of the art- I couldn't really tell what was supposed to be going on some of the time.

Well I'm glad Jade's dead, she was a ***** and a ****. She had it coming, especially after what she did to Kyle.

Not really digging the art on this one too much. I'm at least glad to see Kyle earth-bound again, if he is in fact on earth or if this is just another one of his elaborate artist headcase deals like circle of fire.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the art. Not sure about the story yet, either. Not only has the whole "there's something we didn't tell you about your power" thing been done before with Green Lantern, but IT WAS JUST DONE LAST YEAR. I hope they are going for something different than an "impurity" in Kyle's power. If not, then this is just going to be like a retread of Rebirth with crappy artwork.

Where did you see anything about an impurity in Kyle's power? :confused:

i think he means it better not be a rehash of retcon of a headache:D

Interview up with Ron Marz about Ion.

Doesn't go into too much specifics but I think I like the way he is thinking and I think it is going to be a great series.

New coloured pages as well...

ION_2_Page_1.jpg

ION_2_Page_2.jpg

ION_2_Page_3.jpg

ION_2_Page_4.jpg

I think the inker has done a vast improvement on Greg's artwork given it a much more solid look which i think will please a lot of people.

That is much better. I can actually discern what's going on in those pages. The Guardians' faces are still a bit rough, but I suppose that's just Tocchini's style. His faces in Thor: Son of Asgard were pretty sketchy, too.

Great f'ing Guardians, that art is so much better it looks like a completely different comic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"