Speculation on the Starheart/Parallax/Ion equation...

Miss Webb

Sidekick
Reaction score
Okay, here's what we know:

Parallax can't control or affect the Starheart.
Kyle (as Ion) could channel both Starheart and Ion energies.
Jade had a ring courtesty of Ion, with borrowed energy. Possibly a combination of her Starheart reactivated and Ion power.
Under Parallax influence, the Starheart (aka Alan) gets "thirsty."
Parallax needing a soul and power source to hold him in place gets "hungry".
The origin of Ion is not determined yet (I don't think).
Parallax CAN channel the Ion power.

Now with the possibility of spectrum lanterns everywhere this whole 'emotional spectrum' bit has gotten confusing.

Willpower isn't an emotion, but a mental discipline. Parallax may have been truthful in saying it was the BALANCE of the spectrum but yellow tips the scales. Actually, willpower is basically desire on a more intellectual level.

People have mistaken the Starheart as being part of this. It's random magic, both dark and light embodied. Chaos. It has nothing to do with emotion.

Will the empire of tears affect Alan?

The Ion and Starheart powers are compatible but different, seeing as they can coexist in the same space (or host, possibly) in the case of Ion/Kyle.

The Starheart and Parallax powers are not compatible in the same space, which is why Parallax Hal couldn't do anything with Alan.

So is Ion a passive force? Could that be the reason it can blend with other powers more aggressive?

Parallax and the Starheart are both aggressive powers, both rooted in darkness (differently). Not compatible.

Will we ever see an END to all this 'composite being' stuff?

and a MAJOR question...

In the GL series when Alan was made "old" the final time, he was 'burning out' from the power. He thought he was finished. Jade and Green Arrow went to save him. Alan said he was on borrowed time since gaining the power and wanted to explode without taking anyone with him.

Jade was wearing her Ion ring at the time and siphoned some of Alan's power away so he could gain control!

Hmmm...

Where did this power go? Did Jade have it at the time of her death when she transferred everything to Kyle? And if so, that means Kyle is toting around a portion of Alan's power.

Maybe.

Perhaps Ion can contain the Starheart, at least for awhile. The guardians learned long ago wild magic can't be contained forever. Apparently neither can Parallax.

Curious that Alan once again had a 'fever' during Rebirth and felt thirsty, a symptom of his power trying to rage again.

Very interesting...:woot:

Alan claimed his power was no longer 'unlimited' after the Darkness saga, which would've put him on a par with Parallax or Ion power wise. We'll never know, because he never did anything to show this. Again, he isn't accessing his full power now. Or is he?

Curious Kyle was nude when the Ion was pulled from him...I don't remember Parallax clothing a naked Hal. So when Kyle is freed, will he be flying around in his birthday suit again??? :wow:

are we reading your blog?

I don't have much to say about much of this, but one thing right off the bat:

Jade never had an "Ion ring." The ring that she wore throughout the nineties and very early 2000s was an authentic Green Lantern like Kyle's and all other Corps members'. Before then, she had the power she inherited from her father, which is the Starheart power; she only used the ring because her own powers were lost due to the Starheart somehow becoming sentient and throwing a big hissy fit.

Now, when Kyle was Ion the first time, he restored her natural powers...at the time, it was stated that he was rebooting some biological essence within her, reactivating her Starheart powers. It's later suggested (rectonned?) that when he did this, what he actually did was to place a bit of the Ion power inside her (as we now know, the "Ion power" is actually just the friendly space whale, which is distinct from the full power of the Central Power Battery, which Kyle lost in another way), and when she died he was able to reclaim that bit of "Ion" that he'd let her have, and thus become Ion again even without the Central Power Battery inside of him. I'm not sure how important the Starheart is to the Ion process. It definitely is compatible, but beyond that...I'm not sure it's very significant.

You know, I still don't get how the universal embodiment of raw willpower is a completely passive entity. I mean that just doesn't work at all.

Yeah, the more random concepts Johns tries to shoehorn into the GL mythos, the more convoluted a mess it becomes. An embodiment of fear is one thing--every culture in the universe has a bogeyman--but beyond that, his reimagining of the entire GL mythos is falling apart because of all the gaps in logic.
I don't have much to say about much of this, but one thing right off the bat:

Jade never had an "Ion ring." The ring that she wore throughout the nineties and very early 2000s was an authentic Green Lantern like Kyle's and all other Corps members'. Before then, she had the power she inherited from her father, which is the Starheart power; she only used the ring because her own powers were lost due to the Starheart somehow becoming sentient and throwing a big hissy fit.

Now, when Kyle was Ion the first time, he restored her natural powers...at the time, it was stated that he was rebooting some biological essence within her, reactivating her Starheart powers. It's later suggested (rectonned?) that when he did this, what he actually did was to place a bit of the Ion power inside her (as we now know, the "Ion power" is actually just the friendly space whale, which is distinct from the full power of the Central Power Battery, which Kyle lost in another way), and when she died he was able to reclaim that bit of "Ion" that he'd let her have, and thus become Ion again even without the Central Power Battery inside of him. I'm not sure how important the Starheart is to the Ion process. It definitely is compatible, but beyond that...I'm not sure it's very significant.
I'm pretty sure the comics have come right out and said that the second Ion powers were a result of merging the Starheart's energy and the Guardians' energy in one being. I figured that mixture and Kyle himself just gave birth to the space whale, which continues to be stupid.

Most of the stuff we've seen in the Guardian of the Universe series has been blown straight to hell anyway.

Like what? I recall Ion actually foreshadowing a few things that are now coming to fruition in Countdown, and Kyle entered the Sinestro Corps War crossover basically the same as he left the Ion series. The only thing that strikes me as particularly different is the status of Ion, who's now been revealed to be a green space whale rather than just a name for Kyle, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were the plan from even before the Ion series started.

Well, there's that. I think the best we can hope for now is a co-starring role in Green Lantern Corps. Which, given GLC's quality, isn't actually too bad.

I have to agree with Corpulent. Its a whale... with wiskers

And lets not forget, all this in the name of making the mighty Hal look good...after all, Ganthet is saying once again that HE'S the new hope. So Kyle is yanked around with a million costume changes and identities, endless killed women in his life. Alan is depowered, deflowered and aged. Yup, all in the name of Hal. And John is off being...well, John. Whatever that means.

And I like Hal and still am gettin' ticked at all this.

Space Whale. Cripes, what a concept. :whatever: At the DC COMICS message boards someone posed the question what if PARALLAX and ION mated?

You heard it right.

My own take is a LIME GREEN DRAGONFLY THAT STRONGLY WILLS PEOPLE TO FEAR. :whatever:

and I'd hate to see them 'mating' inside a host. Even for kinky fanboys (and girls) that's a bit much.

I'm pretty sure the comics have come right out and said that the second Ion powers were a result of merging the Starheart's energy and the Guardians' energy in one being. I figured that mixture and Kyle himself just gave birth to the space whale, which continues to be stupid.
I'm almost 200% certain that was just a big red herring. At the very least it was inconclusive info. I remember almost everyone's reactions back from when it was revealed was pretty much "Wait...that's it??" because it was pretty awkward and doesn't even explain all that much anyway. Kyle may have thought he was using the Starheart and Central Power Battery together, and he may not have been off the mark, but there was obviously a lot of information that he was missing. Such as...oh, for instance, the truth.

As of the Sinestro Corps Special, the space whale has always been around, just like Parallax, and whatever the violet representation of love is going to end up being, and whatever any other color of whatever other emotion is going to end up being. They weren't "born" or created recently or something; they've always been there.

The way I see the timeline, Kyle first accessed Ion when he "became" Ion the first time by absorbing the entirety of the Central Power Battery (back in Winick's run), then he unintentionally gave a bit of Ion to Jade when he rebooted her powers, and when she died she gave the missing part of Ion back to him, which allowed him to be Ion again even without the full power of the CPB. Remember, the Guardians also mentioned in his miniseries that he possesses the "spark of all that we Guardians are"; back then we all just thought it was some random spark of whatever, but it makes sense that they were referring to Ion, the sentient embodiment of all willpower in the universe. That is, in a lot of ways, what the Guardians represent.

Again...the way I see it, the Starheart has very little overall to do with any of this process so far. The Guardians even mention in the Ion series and they didn't actually anticipate "Jade's gift to [Kyle]." It may play a heretofore unseen part in the grand scheme of things down the line, such as maybe allowing Kyle to break free of Parallax in some way, but for now it's not a very significant portion of the Ion equation. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.

As of the Sinestro Corps Special, the space whale has always been around, just like Parallax, and whatever the violet representation of love is going to end up being, and whatever any other color of whatever other emotion is going to end up being. They weren't "born" or created recently or something; they've always been there.

A horny hermaphrodite rabbit.:o

I'm almost 200% certain that was just a big red herring. At the very least it was inconclusive info. I remember almost everyone's reactions back from when it was revealed was pretty much "Wait...that's it??" because it was pretty awkward and doesn't even explain all that much anyway. Kyle may have thought he was using the Starheart and Central Power Battery together, and he may not have been off the mark, but there was obviously a lot of information that he was missing. Such as...oh, for instance, the truth.

The way I see the timeline, Kyle first accessed Ion when he "became" Ion the first time by absorbing the entirety of the Central Power Battery (back in Winick's run), then he unintentionally gave a bit of Ion to Jade when he rebooted her powers, and when she died she gave the missing part of Ion back to him, which allowed him to be Ion again even without the full power of the CPB. Remember, the Guardians also mentioned in his miniseries that he possesses the "spark of all that we Guardians are"; back then we all just thought it was some random spark of whatever, but it makes sense that they were referring to Ion, the sentient embodiment of all willpower in the universe. That is, in a lot of ways, what the Guardians represent.

Again...the way I see it, the Starheart has very little overall to do with any of this process so far. The Guardians even mention in the Ion series and they didn't actually anticipate "Jade's gift to [Kyle]." It may play a heretofore unseen part in the grand scheme of things down the line, such as maybe allowing Kyle to break free of Parallax in some way, but for now it's not a very significant portion of the Ion equation. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.
But then why is the space whale green if he's always been around? The green color of willpower only came when the Guardians' energy, which is now apparently blue, worked against the yellow energy of fear, resulting in green. Or, at least, that's how I understood it from... something I read recently. I don't remember if it was something from the Sinestro Corps War or Countdown, but I'll check when I get home.

You know, honestly, all that really needs to happen for all of this to be cleared up is for Johns to stop reimagining the Green Lantern mythos willy-nilly with random color associations. Green has been the color of envy for centuries and willpower is not an emotion. For ****'s sake. :o

I don't remember anything about anything being blue. Are you sure you didn't just dream that?

No, they mentioned something about that. That the color of courage is blue. Apparently blue courage + yellow fear= green willpower.:dry:

Where was this? And what does it have to do with the Guardians?

The Guardians were the embodiment of courage or something. Hence their being little blue men.

What?

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm sorry...what I actually meant to say was WHAT??

Someone needs to explain this right. Now.

Found it. It was mentioned in the Origin of Parallax backup in Countdown 35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"