• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ion

Ion #6
And again..."Hmm."

As much as I liked this issue -- and make no mistake, I really did like it -- there's a part of me going "That's it?" 'Cause really, I mean...is that it? The big revelation? The Guardians acted smarmy and secretive for all this time in order to protect a secret that...well...it just doesn't seem like it really needed to be kept secret at all. It's not very clandestine. It's not all that surprising. The power of Ion turns out to be pretty much the exact thing that it was made out to be in an earlier issue, just with some fine print. It just feels like Kyle was told "You know that thing you were for all this time? Well, guess what? Now you are that SAME EXACT THING...but a little different!" The whole Alex Nero impersonation thing wasn't even close to being explained, since it turns out to have had nothing to do with the Guardians at all.

On the other hand, as much as I'd fault it for not really working...in reality, it works. It makes sense. I mean, it's not clandestine or whatever for the very reason that it seems obvious in retrospect. It's a straightforward, blunt, almost traditional position for Kyle to be taking, and ergo logical. As I've said before, Kyle Rayner as a character works best when he's straightforward and uncomplicated; there's no great secret to his inner logic, no hidden complex demons just waiting to plot-twist us at the last second. It's when you try to make him all those things -- complicatedly melodramatic, hard to figure out, needlessly weighted down by angst -- that he becomes a chore to read about.

So while I'm a little disappointed that the big secret seems to be not that big a secret, I'm still enjoying the series and can't wait for the next arc.

(7 out of 10)

^ Exactly. After the Guardians finished explaining I was like:
"A-ha. Aaaaaaand..."

Still. Have to say that I'm loving Kyle's characterization! It's seems like he's his old self again. The character I fell in love with in the first place. He's back to doing more creative constructs, he's a widdle bit cheeky. I just loved how he got rid of that bounty hunter:D. And oh yeah!
RADU! Radu has been mentioned again! That romanian caffeinated beacon of light in the dark damp universe of DC. :D

BrianWilly said:
Ion #6
And again..."Hmm."

As much as I liked this issue -- and make no mistake, I really did like it -- there's a part of me going "That's it?" 'Cause really, I mean...is that it? The big revelation? The Guardians acted smarmy and secretive for all this time in order to protect a secret that...well...it just doesn't seem like it really needed to be kept secret at all. It's not very clandestine. It's not all that surprising. The power of Ion turns out to be pretty much the exact thing that it was made out to be in an earlier issue, just with some fine print. It just feels like Kyle was told "You know that thing you were for all this time? Well, guess what? Now you are that SAME EXACT THING...but a little different!" The whole Alex Nero impersonation thing wasn't even close to being explained, since it turns out to have had nothing to do with the Guardians at all.

On the other hand, as much as I'd fault it for not really working...in reality, it works. It makes sense. I mean, it's not clandestine or whatever for the very reason that it seems obvious in retrospect. It's a straightforward, blunt, almost traditional position for Kyle to be taking, and ergo logical. As I've said before, Kyle Rayner as a character works best when he's straightforward and uncomplicated; there's no great secret to his inner logic, no hidden complex demons just waiting to plot-twist us at the last second. It's when you try to make him all those things -- complicatedly melodramatic, hard to figure out, needlessly weighted down by angst -- that he becomes a chore to read about.

So while I'm a little disappointed that the big secret seems to be not that big a secret, I'm still enjoying the series and can't wait for the next arc.

(7 out of 10)

I dont know, I dont think weve gotten the full story yet.

I'm curious to know if Kyle is the "restart button" for the corps. Then is he immortal?

yenaled said:
I'm curious to know if Kyle is the "restart button" for the corps. Then is he immortal?
I expect he is.

When you consider the "power" of the ring - aging becomes "an option" for every lantern.
At the LEAST the power can keep reseting the age of the user to whatever age they prefer,... and if you take the power away,.. they restart aging at whatever point they tweaked themself to.

This opens a door to the idea of "kid Lantern".

You have one of the Earth Lanterns be damaged in some way that requires them to deage themselve to save their life.

I suggest one of the senior three,.... "ION" just dried his ears.

Heh if it were John Stewart,.... that means he'd be running with the Outsiders or the Teen Titans.

I see Guy Gardner becoming a Rapper.

I see Hal Jordan taking over the Teen Titans,....

(Open Laughter)

BrianWilly said:
Ion #6
And again..."Hmm."

(7 out of 10)

I sat there and thought that was the ****tiest revelation in ALL of comics. Even worse than Hal being controlled by Parralax ****ty. The frickin Guardians of the Universe's big bad reason to allow Kyle to have all this power is simply to be there when the Corps. breaks down again? If three lanterns were capable of shutting down Parralax (though one Parralax controlled Hal Jordan basically killed the entire Corps.), then one Ion should be MORE than enough to keep the Corps. alive and well without the need for a torchbearer.

I absolutly loved the idea of making Kyle the secret agent of the corps. It makes so much sense but notice they said that he has a spark of the guardians in him which means that he is most likly going to be immortal and could theoretically be more powerful than them.

Spark of Guardians + Normal Gl powers + Starheart Magic = Damn near god like Kyle.

Since he was the Torch Bearer when the corps went under he truly is the perfect person for this job and he deserves it. After all the **** he has gone through he deserves to have a good life for a bit and if a threat that is Universe threatening comes about, like the guardians said, then you have ION right there. HE is to be called upon when he is needed for the "big job". Im assuming a threat that would be noted as Ion worthy would prolly be a Emoboy level threat, this opens up the possibilities for new Epic stories like non-other.

With another 6 issues left, I like how you all already assume that this is the final revelation.

No way that's the big whoop-to-do. Those damn Guardians are sneaky. Like my great-grandpappy used to say, there's a rooster in the henhouse. :up:

Darthphere said:
With another 6 issues left, I like how you all already assume that this is the final revelation.

No I dont assume that this is the final Revelation to the series. Do i think that this is the revelation for these 1st 6 issues, yes i most certainly do. I think the first 6 were about why Kyle has become ION and his destiny. The next 6 will focus on Nero and the plot to make Kyle look bad. I also said all of that with the Hope that this will become an ongoing, something i believe will happen.

The biggest problem with Ion becoming a monthly is that now Kyle is so powerful, they won't know what to do with him, what challenges to throw his way every single month.

What I liked most about this issue is the fact that the first thing Kyle wanted to do after he found out that he had more power then any Green Lantern is to reconnect with his friends on earth... to reconnect with his humanity. That for me has always been the main draw to this character.

Ion #7

featuring, Effigy! Sure makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know that Effigy made it out allright, and he's still alive somewhere, causing trouble. Even if I never get to see him again. :( Either way, this was a terrific issue. Radu's back. Allan called Kyle his son. I really didn't need that last page, since it felt like a cheap trick to get readers to come back next month. To me the issue was perfect just like it was.
Chock full of some good honest emotion.:) The art however is screwey, again.

I bet Geoff Johns hates this series, because it reminds him of how better Marz is at writing Green Lanterns than he.

This issue was pretty much a big sloppy tongue-kiss to fans of Kyle's old series...or I should say, fans of Kyle's old series before it turned to ass. Not a whole lot happens and there's perhaps more rehashing of stuff than there should be, but you can't fault it 'cause it's so gosh-darned filled with actual emotion and genuine character moments and stuff. I mean, two people sitting down, having coffee, and talking? When's the last time we saw that? Compared to a action-packed issue with stupid fights and cheap shocks and characters acting like asstards or reholes or worse, I'd rather have a slower issue with nice dialogue and characterizations and great portrayals of these mofos we care about. And maybe one or two explosions.

But yeah, I would prefer that the plot gets moving again and we can some more answers. The big "reveal" of the Guardians in the issue before this was pretty unsatisfactory; I desire more:mad:.

Yeah y'know, I really like the idea of Kyle being Alan's son-of-sorts. It kinda makes it like Kyle is Alan's "legacy" as opposed to Hal's, even though he got his powers due to Hal and the Corps and all that. Alan taught him more about being a Green Lantern than Hal ever did. Interesting thing that's really visible from this issue is that Kyle has -- or maybe looks for -- a lot of older male father figures in his life. This makes sense of course, if you know about Kyle's actual history with his father...in a nutshell, it involves epionage:ninja:.

Oh Kyle. I'll be your daddy. You need only ask.

One annoying thing is that it's been seven issues and I still have no idea what the heck Kyle's Ion logo is actually supposed to look like.

The last Ion issue was perfect, reminded me how excellent GL was when Kyle was the star.

What would've been even better is if Radu served Kyle with some...
mamaliga!
poza%20mamaliga.jpg

:D

Hey, no love for Effigy? :( If nothing else, he has a great name.

BrianWilly said:
One annoying thing is that it's been seven issues and I still have no idea what the heck Kyle's Ion logo is actually supposed to look like.

Looks to me like a stylized rising sun. Sort of half lantern, half star(heart.)

Everybody with me?

I just don't like the star speckled black parts a-la Donna Troy.

This week sucks because Green Lantern is out but Ion isn't there to counter the crappyness.

Im still lovin this book, amazes me everytime I read it.

Ion #8
Oh Ron Marz, why do you have to be awesome?

I suppose I should be concerned about whether he's making Kyle into some invincible Batmanesque war machine that can defeat anything in existence -- such as monstrous alien gladiators -- without even using his powers but hell, it was so cool to see Kyle defeating monstrious alien gladiators without even using his powers that I've already forgotten what I was talking about. The resolution to this whole alien planet misunderstanding thingy was rather low-key, but this whole subplot was probably not the reason that most of us were reading this in the first place so it was probably wise to get it out of the way. To make way for the obligatory alien princess makeout session, of course.

And Great Guardians! Someone finally remembered Kyle's mom! Christ on a pogo that makes me happy. And she's in trouble? Better check the kitchin appliances.

That last page was pretty "oh snap" as well. I'm sooooo glad it's Marz who's going to be able to follow-up on this Earth-whatever lantern-staff thingy that the kids found at the end of IC. I'm not nearly as thirsty for Hal Jordan's blood as various people here might be, but it did give me a twinge of malicious delight that it's in this title and not the "official" Green Lantern title that this plot is being explored in. Though I do wonder why those kids kept the staff for an entire year and did absolutely nothing with it.

It saddens me in musky places that there's only four issues of this maxiseries left. There seems to be so much more to cover!

(8.8 out of 10)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"