• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Iron Man Iron Man Budget: 160 Million

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.eonline.com/movies/lyonsden/detail/index.jsp?uuid=a29dea99-cafb-433f-b802-123e0515b3c5

That's huge considering Marvel doesn't have the costs of using their own characters that are included in other studios budgets when they make Marvel films. You can add another 5-10% onto that.

Stars Spill Molten Iron Man Secrets

Categories: comiccon, iron man, indiana jones 4
285.paltrow.howard.073107.jpg

Paramount-Dreamworks had the three most talked about films at Comic-Con this past weekend: Indy Jones 4 director Spielberg and star Shia were assuring fans that they wouldn't f--k this up, and we believed them. Star Trek XI director JJ Abrams tore the house down by announcing that both Leonard Nimoy and Heroes star Zachary Quinto will star as Mr. Spock.

And then there was the surprise unveiling of an exclusive Comic-Con cut of an Iron Man trailer. The crowd went nuts, and I got a chance to speak with all the folks from Iron Man who made it to the Con: Terrence Howard, Gwyneth Paltrow, director Jon Favreau and Tony Stark/Iron Man himself, Robert Downey Jr. Here's what I learned about the big-time superhero flick, due next summer:

102.ironman1.051007.jpg

His Ride Rocks: The Iron Man Audi was parked outside the Omni Hotel and looked fresh to death. The exclusive R8 was sleek and gray, with front and back license plates reading, "Stark 4." Basically, puts my whip to shame.

Gwyneth Misses You: Downey Jr. convinced Gwyneth to do the movie. She was considering the project, and one day while speaking with Jr., he simply said, "Don't you want to do a movie that people will actually see?" A simple sell, especially with the highest opening weekend of her career being Shallow Hal ($22 million), and she hasn't had a film gross $100 million dollars since Shakespeare in Love. All that's about to change now that she's taken on the role of Pepper Potts.

It Might Have a Wu-Tang Flavor: Favreau has had talks with Wu-Tang Clan member and Iron Man fanatic Ghostface Killah. He didn't tell me specifically how Ghostface would be involved, but the hip-hop legend does currently have a track on Favreau's MySpace page. (Ghostface's first solo album was called Ironman.)

Terrence Wears Miles Well: The budget is 160 million bucks. Heard it from Favreau, but I think I also heard it from Howard, but I was too dazed by his sweat-pants-and-cowboy-boots look. He was also rocking a Miles Davis T-shirt and denied any rumors that he would be playing Miles in a biopic.

Jon's a Badass, Too: Sure, Sam Jackson plays one-eyed superspy Nick Fury, but he's not the only tough guy in the cast: Director and schlub-from-Swingers Favreau plays Tony Stark's bodyguard in one scene.

Dang thats alot of money. Marvel better hope they make all that back. If IM and IH fail Marvel could go bankrupt again.

They've already made quite a bit of it back with produce placements (ex: audi), toy contracts with Hasbro, game contract w/Sega, distribution deal with Paramount, and they don't have to pay for their own rights. Iron Man will be used by hundreds of sponsors to help support the film and it's ad budget.

Also they have no shot at going bankrupt. Marvel has a non-recourse loan/line of credit. Do you know what that means??? The only collateral is the movie rights. If the movie were to be a complete flop Merrill Lynch gets the movie rights...but it's not even that simple. The entire Marvel slate would have to fail as a whole and Marvel would then lose the movie rights to all those characters and those characters only. Now look at all of Marvel's big budget Summer releases. Not a single one of them have failed to make a profit. It's the safest bet and the best financing deal ever struck in Hollywood. You know why? The characters are so valuable and pretty much assured to make a profit. Is it possible for one to not make a profit? Not likely but it's possible. Is it possible for them all to flop? Hell no. Now look how Marvel is handling Hulk and Iron Man and there's like no chance whatsoever.

Bankruptcy...it's not even in the cards. Marvel is 100% protected from that.

Well thats good. I would hate to see them lose alot of the projects they've been doing over the years. Like with what happened during the 90s. Yep good to hear they will be doing fine.

005.gif
@ Downey's comments to Gweneth. Hard to not take that as an insult.

I've gotta get one of those t-shirts Jon Favreau is wearing.

I got one at the convention when I went to the panel. It came in a bag with a Star Trek shirt and a couple little posters and booklets. The crowd REALLY did go crazy!

^ At Thursday's Paramount panel right? Cause I was near the front of the line at the Marvel panel and they didn't have those.

thats a good budget for groundbreaking effects. if the budget was somewhere 120-130 i think it was not possible. but with 160 ILM can again make something groundbreaking of course if the director lets them.

I've gotta get one of those t-shirts Jon Favreau is wearing.

ebay, there going for around $40.00 a shirt, but they are awesome.
The budget is much bigger than I thought it would be, I had heard early on around $75 Million, that bolds well for CGI.

:huh:

Thats good for the quality...but thats pretty stupid on Paramount.

Wow, big budget. More good news on the Iron Man front :up:

I'm quite surpirsed they would spend that much money...oh no I'm not, it's hollywood.

That's a perfect budget for the film and considering the efficient use of practical effects this budget could be going in all the right places. Marvel Studios is taking care of it's 1st 2 films and investing in them the right way.

I'm quite surpirsed they would spend that much money...oh no I'm not, it's hollywood.

Got to spend money to make money. You can't do Iron Man without paying for the very best effects. Well, you could, and that might have some humour value.....

I think it can get that back no problem.

Itll obviously make it back; it just limits the profits and means the sequels could touch 200 millon, ridiculous considering this isnt pirates or spiderman.

Yeah, this is a little too high for a character that isn´t as well-known as Spider-Man or Hulk. It´s gonna make a profit, but it will need to make big bucks to guarantee a sequel.

This is Marvel making a Marvel movie guys. It will not only make big money in theatres but more importantly it's gotta have a good video game, and solid merchandise around it. No it won't sell like Spidey but it'll sell good enough. The production of this film siphons money into Marvel from hundreds of different sources...not just theatrical revenue. It will get a sequel even if it breaks even at the box office. Again it's got an advantage over the other studios with lower costs.

Itll obviously make it back; it just limits the profits and means the sequels could touch 200 millon, ridiculous considering this isnt pirates or spiderman.

This isn't Pirates? What was "Pirates" before it came out? An amusement ride. That's it. It's all in how good the film is and how good the marketing in. This film btw should have a long running time. :)

I was thinking the budget would be 150 million. I compare Iron Man to the first FF movie in terms of recognizablility to mainstream audiences. Iron Man doesn't have a Jessica Alba to attract teenagers, but the effects might be able to do it.

^ Jessica Alba was not a signifcant draw to the FF. Remember it skewed towards 6-10 year olds who could care less. And honestly I don't go to watch a regular theatrical film or dvd to look at a hot body. People want action, effects, a good ride and a good story with these kind of films. Whether Iron Man is known by the masses right nor or not wont' matter if the marketing campaign is solid from March-May

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"