• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Iron Man Iron Man Budget: 160 Million

But if Iron Man is suppose to be as mature as Favreau says it will be, then you can't rely on the 6-10 year olds that made FF a hit. Iron Man's fanbase isn't significant enough to guarantee a 160 million,imo. The competition around it will big a big obstacle. Speed Racer is probably more recognizable.

I think people are underestimating the attraction of Iron Man on today's audiences.

That comic con sneak peak was enough to cream the pants of every person who saw it.

Hell, that sneak peak trailer owned the hell out of every comic book trailer yet.

You can bet the Transformers crowd who have made that move a big smash will also come out for Iron Man. A similar genre of military action movie.

Iron Man will definitely be making more than its budget.

Put it this way, it will be better than Superman Returns.

that you can put your life savings, mortgage, pension on it.

Iron Man will OWN everything.

Trailers make everything look good.
Iron Man will surely own, but the Comic-con audience would have seen the movie without that sneak peek. Iron Man is still a secondary hero in the eyes of the general audience.

Even if the movie only makes 150, that's still enough to warrant a sequel, imo, but that might not be how Marvel sees it.

Let's just say that if Iron Man pulls in Rise of the Surfer domestic numbers...it will be a certified dud.

at 160 million, anything under 200 is not good. Anything 150 and under is bad. It needs 320 million roughly to break even in theaters.

Being a Marvel Production means nothing, ad.

No way is that happening. But I do think FF1 numbers are in order if it's as good as that footage made it out to be.

Again it's got an advantage over the other studios with lower costs.

^huh? The only film more expensive then it next summer will be narnia.

indiana jones- 125 million
the dark knight-150 million
the mummy-130 million
hancock-140 million
speed racer-100 million

Having the biggest budget is never really good thing for studios; especially for a character as "famous" as iron man.

it puts a lot of pressure on the film to do well. if it dissappoints and does sub 150 million, which is a big possibility no matter how good the marketing is...you run a huge risk of no sequel.

Its the Will Smith superhero movie, he's a bum in it so it's bound to be good.

Ya I have seen a picture with him in the air holding a glass of rum it was great.

^huh? The only film more expensive then it next summer will be narnia.

indiana jones- 125 million
the dark knight-150 million
the mummy-130 million
hancock-140 million
speed racer-100 million

Having the biggest budget is never really good thing for studios; especially for a character as "famous" as iron man.

it puts a lot of pressure on the film to do well. if it dissappoints and does sub 150 million, which is a big possibility no matter how good the marketing is...you run a huge risk of no sequel.

Favreau wanted to make an awesome film and Marvel did not want a misstep with it's first release. Marvel knows good and well how negativity can kill a film. Iron Man needs to establish itself unlike Batman & Indiana Jones. The Mummy is a franchise that's proven itself to warrant a 130 million budget. Will Smith on the other hand is hit or miss. I'm not so sure about his film. I can assure you right now the Wachowski brothers are seriously thinking about moving to a less competitve spot. The advanage I was speaking about is Marvels 160 million dollar film will look more like a 225 million dollar film. Why? It doesn't have to pay royalties to itself to use the characters and there's not character owner to pay overages too as it hits box office benchmarks. That 160 million is gonna really show. I wouldn't be surprised if the film was well over 2 hours too.

I don't know why. Speed Racer has nothing to fear from Iron Man. They haven't released any footage to gauge fan reactions. Fans are fickle as hell. People are saying Iron's footage was better than Bats, of course, Bats didn't show anything.

Speed Racer is in a vice right now. It's sandwiched by HUGE films. If it hits #1 in week 2 it won't be by much and it'll crash in week 3. Iron Man has nothing behind and is opening up the Summer. It's gonna have a huge opening 7 days no matter which way you slice it. In fact I'd bet they might release it a few days early to cash in on the fan rush and to get as many second viewings as possible before the competition comes in. The Day the Earth Stood Still will not be there when the date comes and Speed isn't as appealing as a big budget Marvel film with the cast Iron Man has. It doesn't really matter what big release is on May 2nd...Speed is in a bad spot.

That is not uncommon for a big budget movie these days. Hell they spent 75 million on the Simpsons!!!

Spider-man 3 was a little out of control, but it made the money back and then some.

I think Marvel realized it's mistake with cheap-ass Fox and how it effected their product. While in the beginning Fox produced some good films with them in X-men and X2, the dissapointmetns of X3 (at least fan wise), Elektra and FF:RotSS made them realize, you have to spend money to make money.

Obviously, none of us have seen Speed Racer so we can't say too much, but after the way Transformers ran out the box, I don't think you can underestimate the appeal of those old cartoons and their place in the public's mind. It won't make 300 million obviously, but Speedy has the public's attention in a way Iron Man doesn't, no matter who the cast is. WB might open up Racer on a Wednesday.

Well, it looks like Marvel has a lot of confidence in the movie. It might have some trouble breaking even at the box office.

I think Iron Man could be the next Spider-Man or Transformers because it looks like it's going to have the same cross-over appeal as those films, pleasing hardcore fans as well as the rest of the general movie-goers.

Obviously, none of us have seen Speed Racer so we can't say too much, but after the way Transformers ran out the box, I don't think you can underestimate the appeal of those old cartoons and their place in the public's mind. It won't make 300 million obviously, but Speedy has the public's attention in a way Iron Man doesn't, no matter who the cast is. WB might open up Racer on a Wednesday.
well TF did so good because it was a good summ popcorn movie. nothing IMO has to do with the cartoon. everone is talking about comedy and action.

Speed Racer no matter how good it is...is in a crappy spot. Shrek 3 was in the same type of crappy spot however it had an established franchise. Trasnformers had a good spot though it did way better than I thought it would.

Speed just needs to make over 100 million, so i'm not sure the spot is that bad if it has a solid opening weekend/week. Narnia could be huge, I agree.

Well, honestly, I don't think the movie will make money anyway. A racing movie with a chimp? I'm sure it will be marketed to Nascar heavily, but I don't see how it could possibly be exciting, but since I was so wrong with Transformers this summer i'm keeping my mind open to the possiblilty.

That's what I was expecting from Marvel/Paramount, $160m is perfect for the first movie of entire franchise :up:

Got to spend money to make money. You can't do Iron Man without paying for the very best effects. Well, you could, and that might have some humour value.....
I get that, but I just think it's a huge risk considering there are no draws in the film and Ironman isn't nearly as well known as other heros that were brought to the big screen and made less than 160mil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"