• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Final Fantasy losing it??

JinnSato

Sidekick
Reaction score
Is it just me, or have the recent Final Fantasy games lacking the awesomeness of it's predecessors? And by recent I mean everything after X.

Here is my analysis on it:

Final Fantasy I-VI - they where all great games for there day and still enjoyable to go back and play.

Final Fantasy VII- A ****ing amazing game. Sure the graphics are a bit lacking but the story was amazing and in the end isn't that all that we need in a Final Fantasy game??

Final Fantasy VIII- Graphics improved and a mercenary academy! What else is better?? Nothin' much, just unloading a can of woop ass with the Leonheart limit.

Final Fantasy IX- Despite the cartoony graphics(which I personally love) this had one of the best leveling up systems I've ever encountered. ANd one of the best storys.

Final Fantasy X- One word... Auron.

Now heres where (I think) it all goes down hill.

X-2 - Sure it wasn't that bad in fact the new game plus feature made the game. But it was a bit lacking.

XI- It was an online game.

XII- Don't get me wrong the game overall was great. But the story itself sucked. And isn't that one of the main elements that make a Final Fantasy game.

XIII- I may not know too much about 13 but to tell ya the truth I'm a bit worried.

Another supporting argument I have. It seems that all the other decent games that have come out recently have all been spin offs from seven. Sure they may include different characters from a different time but it's still the same STORY. Thoughts anyone??

Well theres only been one true FF game since X and that was XII. X-2 was a side story to X and XI was pretty much a spinoff numbered as a main FF. As far as XII, what it lacked in story, it made up for in gameplay as it arguably had one of the best battle systems in the series

I hated XII because of the new battle system....which wasn't really new since it's pretty much the same battle system XI had. I hated it there too.

I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to FF, if it's not broke...don't fix it. I think FF always had one of the best turn based combat systems in any RPG. I wish we would have at least been given the chance to choose "classic" or "new" control scheme ala Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds.

Well like I said I did like the battle system for XII but not the story. And I beliave that should be the main focus on any Final Fantasy game is the story. The other games had simple gameplay and they were all great, because of the story.

Now I'm not saying that is going to be the case with FF XIII but the way it looks so far it might just be another one that focuses manly on gameplay.

Well theres only been one true FF game since X and that was XII. X-2 was a side story to X and XI was pretty much a spinoff numbered as a main FF. As far as XII, what it lacked in story, it made up for in gameplay as it arguably had one of the best battle systems in the series

truth.

For me I'm just biased towards VII, I have played other RPG's prior to it but it's THE RPG that got me really into RPG's. Because of that I subconciously hold everything to it's standards.

FFVIII I enjoyed, but didn't care for the draw magic system.

FFIX, I didn't care for several of the characters. The main character just came off as annoying, and like he had been off of his ridlin for too long. I didn't care for the knight (forget his name), or the Red haired dude. In fact I think Vivi and Dagger were the only ones I did care for. The gameplay and story were fine however.

FFX I disliked at first, once again from an annoying main char. However I started over and eventually grew to like it, in fact I think it's tied with FFVIII for 2nd best FF since VII.

FFX2...pretty pretty dress up party is all I think of that game. Story, gameplay, all sucked.

FFXII, I'm mixed on. I hated it at first (too MMO like). then liked it, and stopped at the Cid fight and haven't felt the urge to pick it back up since.

FF7 is over-rated, and I can't get into any aside from FF6 and the Tactics series.

I think most people's favorite FF game happens to be the first one they played. For many, that was FF7. For me it was FFX. Im wondering SuperFerret, was FF6, your first?

I think most people's favorite FF game happens to be the first one they played. For many, that was FF7. For me it was FFX. Im wondering SuperFerret, was FF6, your first?

Yes, FF6 took my virginity, but that's not the real reason why I love it so much. I just loved the story and characters so much, and I preferred the mostly medival fantasy setting had. I've never liked the steampunk style that 7 and 8 had in abundance (6 had a little, but not as much as to get on my nerves), and after that I stopped liking the entire genre of video game RPGs.

VII was just a land mark...not just RPG's or FF...but in all of video games.

FF7 is over-rated, and I can't get into any aside from FF6 and the Tactics series.

It depends on who's hyping it. Some fans do overhype FFVII, however to me it's the best of the FF series. I've played VI and loved it, however I did enjoy VII more. I just felt VII had a bit more emotion and a better story, and while both had great characters (Sabin was my fave from VI) VII just had a better cast all around IMO.

Some fans tho do hype it to be the the end all of everything, and in turn get expectations of ppl who have never played it too high and set them up for some disapointment (especially those who play it now with the graphics being dated and graphics being the end all of games to some ppl, personally it's gameplay and story to me).

On the other hand I think each FF has a fan following that are strictly territorial over which is the best. Some VI fans hate VII since VII is so widely loved, some VIII fans hate VII as well because they felt it overshadows it, and so on.

My first FF game was VI. Then V. Then Kingdom Hearts. Then I borrowed a friend's old copy of VII, because I felt I was missing out.

I find FFVII to be one of the most overrated video games of all time. Yes, it had a good story. Yes, it was the first FF game that used 3D graphics. However, its story wasn't all that, and it had the exact same gameplay as FFVI (even materia and espers served the same purpose). I just wasn't impressed. And I'm the type who doesn't even care about graphics (I didn't play FFV and VI until 2001 or so).

It's not a bad game, though. I just didn't have it in me to finish it, especially with as many spoilers as I already knew.

I hated XII because of the new battle system....which wasn't really new since it's pretty much the same battle system XI had. I hated it there too.

I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to FF, if it's not broke...don't fix it. I think FF always had one of the best turn based combat systems in any RPG. I wish we would have at least been given the chance to choose "classic" or "new" control scheme ala Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds.

I personally love FFXII's battle system. The problem with "classic" FF combat was that it was so basic that it had grown stale. It may not have been broken, but I personally felt like it was old hat. FFXII's realtime battle system livened things up a lot, which IMO was what the series needed.

IMO the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" argument can only go so far. We had the same battle system in FF for 15 years, and it was always the same thing: wait your turn, select an attack, watch the attack animation while the characters are lined up like cheerleaders. The Gambit system brought in a new level of strategy and action that the series had been lacking. If you want classic FF combat, FFX already had it. I personally applaud Square for standing up to tired old tradition and pumping new blood into FFXII, because otherwise it would have felt like a mod for FFX, which was a big problem I had with FFVIII in regards to FFVII.

FFX2...pretty pretty dress up party is all I think of that game. Story, gameplay, all sucked.

I agree that FFX2 wasn't the greatest game, but I thought one thing it did right was the combat system. Though I haven't played it in a while. So I'm not sure whether FFX2's or FFXII's gameplay is my favorite.

MY favorite FF games are

FF9
FFX
FF:Tatics
FF12

Final Fantasy 7 is my favourite of the series, for me, nothing can top that. My brother does keep ranting on at me about how 12 is so much better than all the others. I've played it, but the story just doesn't hook me in at all.

The story sucks azz. THe characters and voice acting is also atrocious.

The story sucks azz. THe characters and voice acting is also atrocious.

The story is dull, and I don't really feel anything for the characters.

Actually, that's a lie...I hate Vaan. His voice is annoying, and he's just so one sided!

I loved me some FFXII. Its my 2nd favorite of the 3 FF games I played. The story and characters could have used work, but the gameplay made up for it.

I felt the battle gameplay, whilst less dynamic and stylish, was solid, and the Hunts were suberb. Although the story, usually the staple of these games and excellent, was one of the dullest I've experienced in a game and told in such a boring way (especially those crappy history lessons told over the map by an old guy). Even the names of the locations were pump Rhidoranda Cataract? Its hardly a Midgar is it?

I got to Bahamut, without struggle, forcing myself to finish, but got so bored I haven't touched it for months. Nevermind I missed out on the best weapon in the game due to my lack of a guide and earnest treasure hunting. LAME. The summons sucked and due to the lack of story, the FMV I used to regard as a treat became null and void.

Overall, it was a massive step back for me. FF8 made a mistake with the draw system, but this was a disaster that almost puts me off FF13.

The story is dull, and I don't really feel anything for the characters.

Actually, that's a lie...I hate Vaan. His voice is annoying, and he's just so one sided!

I actually miss Cloud and Squall's emo yet badass attitude. In fact I think those two said more by rarely talking than the other characters did by squawking like parrots. We had the monkey boy from 9 who was the first FF main character I found annoying and too hyper, then Tidus in 10 who again was hyper and had a high pitched voice, and Vaan followed suit in 12. I wish they'd go back to the more reserved protagonist, someone who doesn't complain about every situation and only talks when it's warranted rather than talking just to remind everyone their the main char.

The new hero of 13 does look more serious so will hopefully lose some of the traits of the more increasingly hyper FF heros. However with names like Mr. 33cm I am kinda worried lol, not that that will stop me from picking the game up.

I agree with that entire post. Silence is golden for most protagonists. Just ask Gordon Freeman (just don't expect an answer back). I'm also glad for the techno punk theme to come back.

I actually miss Cloud and Squall's emo yet badass attitude. In fact I think those two said more by rarely talking than the other characters did by squawking like parrots. We had the monkey boy from 9 who was the first FF main character I found annoying and too hyper, then Tidus in 10 who again was hyper and had a high pitched voice, and Vaan followed suit in 12. I wish they'd go back to the more reserved protagonist, someone who doesn't complain about every situation and only talks when it's warranted rather than talking just to remind everyone their the main char.

The new hero of 13 does look more serious so will hopefully lose some of the traits of the more increasingly hyper FF heros. However with names like Mr. 33cm I am kinda worried lol, not that that will stop me from picking the game up.

Cloud is one of my favourite game characters ever. Squall is pretty good, but not as much as Cloud. :up:

I also agree with the rest of what you're saying here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"