No Way Home "It's Perfect" - Michael Giacchino returns to score "No Way Home"

mclay18

Avenger
Reaction score
Michael Giacchino to Return for ‘Spider-Man: Far from Home’ Sequel | Film Music Reporter

I'd figure this would have its own thread since we are talking about nostalgia and what previous composers' material he will reference in NWH's score. (Plus we can discuss the score in detail once the film comes out.)

Giacchino has done several major franchise entries where he gladly and enthusiastically embraced previous composers' themes, like Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Jurassic World, JJ Abrams' Star Trek films, MI3 and MI4.

Elfman's triumphant original theme is a given, as is either James Horner or Hans Zimmer's themes for Andrew Garfield's Spidey. But will Sony and Jon Watts let him reuse the material for the returning villains, like Doc Ock, Electro, Green Goblin and Sandman? That may make the score too fragmented.

Last edited:
I actually really liked Giacchino's score for FFH. Surprisingly I have that score on a regular rotation, so I'm looking forward to what he does with this.

Elfman's triumphant original theme is a given, as is either James Horner or Hans Zimmer's themes for Andrew Garfield's Spidey. But will Sony and Jon Watts let him reuse the material for the returning villains, like Doc Ock, Electro Green Goblin and Sandman? That may make the score too fragmented.
The way I see it, if they were to incorporate every previous music cue for past villains it would still make a lot more sense than Danny Elfman using his own Batman theme and John Williams' Superman theme in Whedon's Justice League.

The way I see it, if they were to incorporate every previous music cue for past villains it would still make a lot more sense than Danny Elfman using his own Batman theme and John Williams' Superman theme in Whedon's Justice League.

Dude, let's not turn this thread into another "bash Elfman's Justice League score".

Dude, let's not turn this thread into another "bash Elfman's Justice League score".
Wasn't bashing it, just using it as an example as to why utilizing the previous themes in No Way Home isn't asking for too much.

It's a no-brainer Giacchino is reviving his own Spider-Man theme, as well as his own Doctor Strange theme.

I'm curious how he'll mingle it with the Elfman and TASM motifs.

I feel like it would be a gargantually missed opportunity if Tobey's first appearance in the movie isn't playing the Elfman theme.

Giacchino is going to trot it out big time. I'm hoping it'll be like the usage of John Williams' "Lost World" motif in the battle finale in Jurassic World . Go to 6:21 in the bottom clip.

What theme? MCU's Iron Man didn't have one that I remember :funny:
IM1 had a great one, wish they kept it.

Iron Man 1 had the best theme and the one that probably everyone always associates with him (the "Driving with the top down" theme). I think IM2 and IM3 had one but they certainly aren't as memorable.

Iron Man 1 had the best theme and the one that probably everyone always associates with him (the "Driving with the top down" theme). I think IM2 and IM3 had one but they certainly aren't as memorable.
Yeah man, that definitely could have been IM's signature music. That's one of my complaints with MCU, outside Spidey, Avengers and Cap, other heroes don't have memorable themes.

Giacchino finished recording his score for The Batman two days ago.

Spider-Man: No Way Home is up next for him.

Surprised he hasn't said anything about it yet, but he's probably not allowed to.

Surprised he hasn't said anything about it yet, but he's probably not allowed to.

Giacchino is under a SERIOUS gag order.

He's usually allowed to let Scoring Sessions cover the films he records in Los Angeles -- but not for any of the MCU projects he's done.

I hope Giacchino utilizes Elfman's responsibility motif -- I forgot how much Elfman used it in the first two movies. It can be used for sad and retrospective, but also heroic and upbeat. Am I wrong for hoping Giacchino uses it for a certain Tobey/Tom exchange?

He is a great composer. I will always remember him from Lost.

I don't remember anything besides 1976 theme, so... His music was pretty forgettable. I really hope that he will use some tracks from previous movies.

I really hope that he will use some tracks from previous movies.

This is Giacchino we're talking about here. He WILL reference other composers' material in the score -- he loves the throwbacks.

Rogue One -- he referenced and quoted several of John Williams' themes throughout the film
Jurassic World/Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom -- referenced two of Williams' themes
Spider-Man Homecoming -- referenced Silvestri's Avengers theme
Mission Impossible 3/Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol -- referenced and quoted Lalo Schfrin's television themes
Star Trek (2009)/Star Trek Into Darkness/Star Trek Beyond -- quoted Alexander Courage's TV theme

And if Giacchino goes to the lengths Rob Simonsen did with Ghostbusters Afterlife, he will go overboard with the thematic references.

So... should we start discussing you-know-what here?

The James Horner and the Elfman motifs... goosebumps. I'm not sure if the tracklist is in chronological order, but could this be from when Tobey and Andrew first appear or their last scene in the movie?

So... should we start discussing you-know-what here?

The James Horner and the Elfman motifs... goosebumps. I'm not sure if the tracklist is in chronological order, but could this be from when Tobey and Andrew first appear or their last scene in the movie?
I've listened to it over and over and I've still got chills. My opinion? This is towards the end, but who knows? Though, it would make sense for it to be played when they're introduced

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"