No Way Home "It's Perfect" - Michael Giacchino returns to score "No Way Home"

Zimmer's score was loud and obnoxious. Horner's was far more emotional and resonant. Easily the superior score of the two.

I haven't heard the leaked score (not until I see the film) but I'm glad they chose to bring back and honor Horner's work.

TASM2 soundtrack is way more memorable... Goblin's theme, new Spider-Man's theme, Electro's theme, I remember all of them, i can't remember anything from TASM except for the main theme which I often forget.

BTW. there are a lot of tracks in new soundtrack that sounds exactly like this! Very sinister and dark.

Is memorable the only metric of quality?

Electro's theme is memorable, for all the wrong reasons.

yeah I didn't care for Zimmer's work. The main theme sounded more fitting as the beginning of a news broadcast.

Horner's score was fantastic. Easily the second best Spider-Man score after Danny Elfman's score for the first movie.

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that
apparently it's the only time in the entire OST that the themes are used. Granted I was not expecting an overabundance of it, that was never realistically going to happen, but a least a little bit more than what we got here.

The usage of the themes was probably dictated by residual and royalty payment rules for OST releases.
If Horner and Elfman’s Spidey themes pop up earlier in the movie, then that’s why.

It’s one key reason why Christopher Young’s SM-3 score hasn’t received an official release. Sony wanted him to do an album release minus Elfman’s themes (they didn’t want to pay Elfman) but Young balked.

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that
apparently it's the only time in the entire OST that the themes are used. Granted I was not expecting an overabundance of it, that was never realistically going to happen, but a least a little bit more than what we got here.

The usage of the themes was probably dictated by residual and royalty payment rules for OST releases.
If Horner and Elfman’s Spidey themes pop up earlier in the movie, then that’s why.

It’s one key reason why Christopher Young’s SM-3 score hasn’t received an official release. Sony wanted him to do an album release minus Elfman’s themes (they didn’t want to pay Elfman) but Young balked.
Exactly.
The Elfman and Horner themes may not be heard much on the official soundtrack release but that doesn't mean that they won't be heard more often in the actual film.

yeah I didn't care for Zimmer's work. The main theme sounded more fitting as the beginning of a news broadcast.

Horner's score was fantastic. Easily the second best Spider-Man score after Danny Elfman's score for the first movie.
I didn't mind Zimmer's theme but that analogy is spot-on.

I wasn't that fond of Zimmer's theme at first. But it has grown on me.

I have a soft spot for the dubstep used for Electro. If I hear "He lied to meeeeeeee" in the soundtrack I'm gonna scream :applaud

Very disappointed by the lack of Elfman, aside from a tiny moment when Peter meets Ock.

I think that's what this film was really missing in regards to Tobey.

So with the soundtrack officially out, which track is the one that
plays Tobey and Andrew's themes/motifs?

The Tom Holland Spider-Man theme definitely comes into its own with a very strong choir vocal .
I loved it especially at the end when our boy dons the traditional Red and Blue homemade suit as he swings triumphantly across the skyline of New York City as The Amazing Spider-Man!!!

So, having listened to it. I love it for the most part, but I have a gut feeling it's not the best representation of the film's music. The middle portion of the album feels like it's spinning wheels.

From what I can tell, I feel pretty confident that in terms of act break up: tracks 1-10 are all the first act. Track 6 is the spell, 7 is the Otto battle on the bridge, and 10 is the Strange/Spider-Man battle. Tracks 11-18 are the second act, tracks 19-22 are act 3, and then 23 is the credits. So, even with the hour length, there's quite a bit of missing material from the later half of the film, especially the final act. Based on track 22 the ending seems to be pretty bitter sweet.

In terms of themes, I was actually surprised by how prevalent Doctor Strange's theme was. Also annoyed me a little bit because it made me wish this kinda care was placed in earlier MCU films. The way Giacchino uses these two themes in the battle cue, just highlights the loss of what could've been for Captain America and Iron Man in Civil War. There's what I think is a "Spider-verse Theme" but I could be wrong. It acts as an extension of Giacchino's Spidey theme, but also gets a lot of singular time.

As for the villains, Ock's theme shows up quite a bit (tracks 7, 12, 18), and then Goblin's theme makes a quick appearance (track 18). Just like with the other two Spidey themes, I have a hard time believing that's all those themes will be appearing in the movie. Mysterio's theme does make a cameo in track 3, which I'm guessing is Peter running from the cops to open the film.

Overall it's a far more dramatic score than the previous two.
Man, credit where credit is due. The trailer did a pretty god job of confusing me on the film's structure. This album hits just about all the important scenes in the film, which I wasn't expecting

While I definitely really like a lot of what we got, there were some really nice pieces that are unreleased. The two that standout the most are that great Goblin theme rendition when he first appears, and then the Horner/Elfman theme's for when those two first appear.

As for the new themes, what I originally thought was a Spider-Verse theme seems to be almost like a new hero theme for Peter. It's actually the most prominent theme throughout the entire movie outside of the main one. Then there was a new villain them which is decent, and I really like this new sad theme, which seems very representative of sacrifice. Especially poignant for May's death and Peter saying his goodbyes.

For those curious as to what tracks correspond to their specific scenes:
01. Intro to Fake News
- Production Logos

02. World's Worst Friendly Neighbor
- Opening scene up until Peter starts swinging with MJ

03. Damage Control
- Peter and friend's arrest and subsequent questioning up until Matt is seen.

04. Being a Spider Bites
Peter and Mj's facetime in Happy's apartment

05. Gone in a Flash
Peter and friend's being rejected from MIT

06. All Spell Breaks Loose
Doctor Strange conducting the spell

07. Otto Trouble
Otto's attack on the bridge

08. Ghost Fighter in the Sky / Beach Blanket Bro Down
Peter fights Electro with Sandman

09. Strange Bedfellows
Norman is brought to the crypt and talks with the other villains

10. Sling vs Bling
Spider-Man/Doctor Strange fight

11. Octo Gone
Peter works on cures. Ends when Otto gives the nanotech back to Peter.

12. No Good Deed
Spider-Man and Goblin's first fight

13. Exit Through the Lobby
May's Death

14. A Doom With a View
Peter meets the other Peters on the roof

15. Spider Baiting
Peter calls in to the Bugle to lure the villains to the Statue of Liberty

16. Liberty Parlance
Peter's coordinate their attack ("I love you guys")/ Swinging together

17. Monster Smash
Battling the 3 villains, ends when Sandman is cured

18. Arc Reactor
Not sure when the Goblin theme is used, but the majority of this piece is the Electro battle. Ends when Lizard is cured.

19. Shield of Pain
A good chunk of it is unused I believe. Doctor Strange's return up until Goblin destroys the box.

20. Goblin His Inner Demons
Peter final battle with Goblin up until he leaves to talk to Strange

21. Forget Me Knots
Peter saying his goodbye's/Doctor Strange completes the spell

22. Peter Parked Picked a Perilously Precarious Profession
Peter's new apartment/final swing

23. Arachnoverture
Suite of all the new themes, arranged differently during the credits. Last 30 seconds is from the scene where Peter tries cleaning his suit in Strange's basement while Ned and Mj search of multiverse men in the crypt.

Last edited:
So... Giacchino actually used the Electro motif from TASM2 in the film. The full list of themes he quoted from are as follows:

"I'm Electro" - Composed by Hans Zimmer and co.
"Young Peter" - Composed by James Horner
"Main Title", "Specter of the Goblin" and "Doc Ock is Born" - Composed by Danny Elfman

Missed opportunity to not use a variation of this when the three of them teamed up:

So... Giacchino actually used the Electro motif from TASM2 in the film. The full list of themes he quoted from are as follows:

"I'm Electro" - Composed by Hans Zimmer and co.
"Young Peter" - Composed by James Horner
"Main Title", "Specter of the Goblin" and "Doc Ock is Born" - Composed by Danny Elfman
What tracks do these themes play in?

Last edited:
What tracks do these themes play in?

Otto Trouble (Elfman's "Doc Ock Is Born"), Octo Gone (ditto), Arc Reactor ("Doc Ock is Born", "Specter of the Goblin"), Shield of Pain (Horner's "Young Peter", Elfman's "Main Title")

Electro's theme is not on the OST release, but it sounds like it was tracked in during his first initial appearance.

Real missed opportunity to not play the opening theme of Elfman’s score before Tobey walks through the portal

I enjoyed Giacchino's score and it worked in the movie.

My main quibble is that he didn't quote Elfman and Horner's themes in a more heroic sense (especially during the big climax). It was gratifying to hear them in the movie at all, but I felt he dropped the ball on that aspect. Seriously, why do we hear Elfman's Doc Ock and Green Goblin theme more than Tobey's theme?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"