No Way Home J.K Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson?

J.K. Simmons talks J. Jonah Jameson makeover in 'Spider-Man: No Way Home'

Simmons said that he was told, "'No, we don't want you to have the flat-top haircut,' and I was like, 'Wait, wait, wait. What?'"

Indeed, rather than the memorable flat-top haircut, Jameson is now balding.

The Invincible star said that when talk of losing Jameson's iconic mustache came up, however, he put his foot down over that particular staple of the newspaper editor's comic-book look.

"It was a negotiation then at that point," he said. "Obviously, the most important thing is that he's still the same blowhard and he does have the same damn mustache, close to it, and cigar at least."

He added that this time around Jameson is a "slightly different version" of the character. "Certainly, from the creators of this iteration of the story, it's a very different character," he said. "To me, it's a slightly different character. It's the same blowhard... the same guy with less hair."

JJJ was easily my least favorite part of NWH. I HATE that they've turned him into the MCU's Alex Jones, hawking supplements from a basement. We've never been more in need of inspirational depictions of quality journalism, not to mention serious conversations about vigilante justice. And Marvel really dropped the ball by flanderizing Jonah.

I have to admit, this version of JJJ did end up falling kind of flat for me. Like...it was exciting to see him again in the post-credits of FFH, but now it rings hollow compared to all the other familiar faces. The returning Spider-men and the returning villains were actually the same exact characters we remembered from the past movies. Whereas this new JJJ is essentially just some random political pundit who happens to look and sound like the JJJ we remember.

The fact that they didn't even acknowledge the similarity makes it feel extra pointless, and kind of weird. I love the idea someone once mentioned of having Tobey's Spider-man see JJJ on a screen and point out that his JJJ looks the same, followed by Andrew's Spider-man pointing out that his (off-screen) JJJ also looks the same, implying that JJJ's appearance is just some bizarre multiversal constant. Shame they didn't at least do something like that.

Last edited:
JJJ was awful here... This is one of this "ideas" that are cool only as "ideas", because how it look in reality? We have Alex Jones caricature which somehow is broadcasted everywhere... This doesn't add up.

I mean... You have JK Simmons as JJJ and you give literally everyone funny dialogues and quips but not him?

It is strange because JK Simmons brought the humor like no other in the role but here he really doesn't get anything of that sort with the way they have him playing it here. I guess there's room for the role to expand again later but here it was one-note despite being very good to see him, and we all know his JJJ was never one-note before.

^ I was half expecting , when Ned kept asking "if their universe had Neds" Tobey to say something about a Ned that worked at the Bugle... and Ned asking if his "J.J. hated Spider-man too"

Last edited:
It is strange because JK Simmons brought the humor like no other in the role but here he really doesn't get anything of that sort with the way they have him playing it here. I guess there's room for the role to expand again later but here it was one-note despite being very good to see him, and we all know his JJJ was never one-note before.
I definitely think there's room to expand and improve his role. Especially now, with Peter primed to start selling footage of Spider-man. I'd love to see him and Jonah have to team up to solve a street-level crime mystery in the next movie.

JJJ was awful here... This is one of this "ideas" that are cool only as "ideas", because how it look in reality? We have Alex Jones caricature which somehow is broadcasted everywhere... This doesn't add up.

I mean... You have JK Simmons as JJJ and you give literally everyone funny dialogues and quips but not him?

Even Lizard was more comedic than JJJ.

The exchange between him and Spider-Man is one of my favorite things about this movie.

Great interview with Michael Rosenbaum featuring J.K. and his brother David. J.K. talks briefly about how his role as J.J.J. in the Spider-Man films really blew up his career into super stardom recognition and a verity of various projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"