Jackie Chan is retiring from Action movies

Mrs. Sawyer

Avenger
Reaction score
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/jackie-chan-announces-quitting-action-films-185159147.html

Iconic movie star Jackie Chan is retiring from action films.
Chan, 58, announced his decision at the Cannes Film Festival. His retirement is in part due to his age. Chan said he feels "too old" for the demanding stunts. He said that the upcoming film "Chinese Zodiac" will be his last action flick. "I am not young any more. I am really, really tired," he said.

Chan also remarked that he has become turned off by the increasing level of violence in films today. "The world is too violent right now. It's a dilemma -- I love fighting. I like action. but I don't like violence."

Indeed, fans of Chan's work will note that while his films have a tremendous number of impressive stunts, the action is rarely violent for the sake of being violent. There is usually some comedy and innocence mixed in.
While Chan may be hanging up his kung fu kicks, he's not retiring from acting. Chan said he wants to expand his range and take on more emotionally dramatic work.

"I don't just want to be an action star, I want to be a true actor. I want to get rid of my image. I want the audience to know also I'm not only a comedian. I can act. Day by day, year by year, I'm going to show you the real Jackie Chan." Chan cited Robert De Niro and Clint Eastwood as his role models.

Chan is calling "Chinese Zodiac" one of the "most important" movies in his career. Chan stars as Asian Hawk, a man who searches the world for 12 bronze symbols from the Chinese zodiac. Chan wrote and directed, as well as kicked butt on screen.

It's been amazing watching Jackie Chan's action movies. If you've seen the gag reels in the credits, it shows how hard Jackie worked on his movies and how much risk and effort was put into his movies. As a guy who grew up with his movies, and of course, the awesome Jackie Chan cartoon Jackie Chan Adventures, he is and will always been one of my favorite action movie stars.

It's been a wonderful time Jackie, and I wish you luck for the rest of your career. I hope he still does mentor roles at least. He was excellent in the Karate Kid.

I really enjoy him as an action star. I hope he finds success in some non action films.

He can definitely act. I say go for it Jackie! Make your dreams a reality.

The man has given us some great action movies. He's the Chinese equivalent of Arnold Schwarzenegger for me.

I knew this day would come. The fact that Jackie broke nearly every bone in his body to entertain us in the 100 films he's done is amazing and his stunts are the stuff of legend.

With that said, I strongly urge everybody to check 1911.

I just hope he will star in one Expandables sequel before he leaves the action genre completely.

I doubt he'd to an Expendables film even if he wasn't retiring from action films.

Doesn't he have a dramatic war film coming out?

I just read on Jackie Chan's facebook that he was misquoted, saying that he doesn't intend to retire from action movies, but he wants to tone it down seeing as how he's almost died a few times.

I just hope he will star in one Expandables sequel before he leaves the action genre completely.

IF he was in Expendables 2 or E3 his fights would be very similar to Li vs Lundgren,I just can't imagine him using tons of objects/flipping around/jumping from high places and doing crazy stunts,In Rush Hour 3 he was already a bit slowed&toned down!!!!:(

Plus the article states Jackie hates violence nowadays!

I shall miss Chan in full-action mode But I know he can truly act in drama!

Chan would never do an Expendables movie the amount of violence in that movie is just not for him.

Well not the Jackie Chan of today. Back in his younger days sure but now he sticks to family driven stuff a lot.

Well not the Jackie Chan of today. Back in his younger days sure but now he sticks to family driven stuff a lot.

Chan was never into violence though,As the article says there were ever only some violence when needed in his stories and not just to have it,Most of his action films were comedy with insane stunts&martial arts,During fights there were always humor bits with Jackie doing funny facial expressions and his opponents&him hurting their hands or foot then shaking them off,When Chan looked pissed before fighting it was more like"I'm going to kick your a**"than"I'm going to kill you you son of a.."!!!!!

Only Operation Condor was released in the US and so it was marketed as a first film,But it's a sequel to a 1989 film where he was a treasure hunter!!

Oh well thats a relief him not retiring from action movies but I like that he will tone it down im sure his stunts took quite the toll and factored into it.
But his style was always him handcuffing guys to like other guys and pulling pants down he was really the only action hero for the whole family his fighting always had comedic tones to it.

Also I noticed watching Transporter 2 in a fight scene Statham uses a fire hose in almost the exact same way Chan does in Mr Nice Guy the clips are on youtube I would post them but not sure if there ok here.

Darn right his stunts have taken a toll on him..
[YT]em2pbLee3ZI[/YT]

Lifelong Jackie Chan fan! Sad to see he's leaving the action business, but I understand. I wish he could have done one more good drunken boxing role, tho.

Chan was never into violence though,As the article says there were ever only some violence when needed in his stories and not just to have it,

Who could forget "The protector" movie from the 1980's?

The director wanted Jackie to curse and wield guns. Otherwise he wouldn't be taken seriously the director thought

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089847/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protector_(1985_film)

Glickenhaus had previously directed B movie action star Robert Ginty in a film entitled The Exterminator, which was also his only real profitable film. The Exterminator was a violent, gritty, and crude vigilante action film, which may be seen as derivative of Charles Bronson's Death Wish films. The Protector would be Glickenhaus' fourth time in the directing chair.
Glickenhaus had wanted Chan's character to be a "Dirty Harry" type, speaking softly, carrying a big gun and swearing. Chan was shocked at how bad Glickenhaus's directing was, especially since The Protector was to be ostensibly a martial arts film. Chan had gained much experience directing in his Hong Kong films and was disgusted with the way Glickenhaus would move onto each subsequent scene, even when prior ones needed to be re-shot.

I wish Jackie the best. He is truly a great action and film star and he deserves it.

Trailer for his final action film 'Chinese Zodiac'

Armour of the Gods 3! Hell yeah!

Oh, and I just read this:

"Hello All my friends and fans,
Yesterday in my press conference in Cannes for Chinese 12 Zodiac I said that this movie was my last big action movie.
Today I was shocked when I woke up to read all the news coverage that I was retiring from doing Action movies.
I just want to let everyone know that I am not retiring from doing action movies. What I meant to say is that I need to do less of the life risking stunts on my movies."
-Jackie Chan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"