• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Guardians of the Galaxy James Gunn back to direct

Also, who should be Magus? It's OBVIOUS that he's going to be the villain. I'm so happy that this film is still coming out.

Also, I'm all for Annihilus being the big bad in a Fantastic Four reboot and then reuse him in Guardians 5 where he'll destroy Xandar, a New Mutants reboot will introduce the Phalanx and Technarchy which sets up Ultron to destroy Hala and Kree-Larr in Guardians 5 and by then we'll likely have seen the X-Men meet the Shi'Ar and the Avengers watch as the Skrulls provoke a Kree-Shi'Ar War causing the death of the Supreme Intelligence, resurrection of Ronan and establishment of the Shi'Ar as the most powerful empire in the galaxy before Guardians 6 has Vulcan's defeat leave Deathbird and Lilandra in control of a badly weakened Shi'Ar Imperium which leaves the Skrulls finally able to take over. 10+ years from now, we may finally get a Secret Invasion film. (And I just want to see the DNA cosmic trilogy adapted).

His "jokes" were disgusting and that mindset did influence the GotG movies considering the underdevelopment of female characters in them. The fact that Gamora's best movie was the one she got fridged in by other directors says a lot. I don't think Gunn is the only person for the job and fresh air might have helped. On the other hand, Gunn has been outspoken about social injustice and his firing was disturbingly a "win" for the alt-right. While I have mixed feelings about this, no one knows how to create a culture of forgiveness in the world of social media so it's understandable that Disney is going to be awkward about this. While I'm fine with Gunn being back, I hope Gunn is the last "Gunn" in the MCU. Start hiring diverse creatives behind the camera whose lives won't be the subject to some white guys gross old tweets.

One of my last posts on here before this news was joking that the new director will be James Gunn :D

Honestly, I think this is the right move. Disney firing him was a bit premature. Also it made no sense to continue using his script if they wanted him to have nothing to do with the films.

In return, Gunn simply needs to know when to keep his mouth shut more on Twitter. It's a toxic and horrible place. It brings out the worst in everyone.

OH YEEEEES! So happy about this! I literally screamed of joy hahaha. My boy is back!

Although my views on him have changed quite a bit since I read some of those dreadful tweets, but I always think people should be given a second chance and I love the Guardians movies so damn much! It wouldn't be the same without him. Great news!

So happy about this news, it wouldn't have been the same without Gunn.

I gotta imagine WB is not thrilled about this. Guardians is Gunn's baby, he poured his heart and soul into that franchise. He's gonna have one eye on GOTG3 the whole time shooting for SS2. Won't be surprised if in a couple of weeks, they 'mutually decide' to part ways.

He never should have been fired, that much is clear to everyone.

His tweets were gross and he was weirdly hung up on pedophilia, but I don’t believe that any level-headed, sane adult was actually all that upset or offended by them. We’re talking about the decade-old rantings of an attention-hungry, faux-provocateur who made his name directing low-budget, gross Troma films. It’s not deep. His tweets were the equivalent of a 6 year old screaming “boobies” in the department store just to upset his mother.

I've been running errands all day and just saw this truly wonderful news. Kudos to Disney and Marvel Studios for (finally) doing the right thing. The bad guys - the alt right garbage humans and their social justice purity enablers - take a well deserved "L".

His tweets were gross and he was weirdly hung up on pedophilia, but I don’t believe that any level-headed, sane adult was actually all that upset or offended by them. We’re talking about the decade-old rantings of an attention-hungry, faux-provocateur who made his name directing low-budget, gross Troma films. It’s not deep. His tweets were the equivalent of a 6 year old screaming “boobies” in the department store just to upset his mother.

And now he has double the work because of them! lol

We probably won't know until D23 but I'd assume '21 or '22
IT won't be 2021, if he is still working on Suicide Squad. Which the reports are saying he is. And that comes out in 2021.

Great to hear. I didn't think he should have been fired in the first place. I get why people were upset in the first place. But at most I think a public apology was fine for tweets made years ago.

Just too bad all of this just ended up pushing back Guardians 3. At least he's back in charge of it. We're stuck waiting until after the next Suicide Squad movie, but that's alright. It just wouldn't have been the same without him directing it. The Guardians movies aren't perfect, but they are really good.

It was a gross overreaction on family friendly Disney.

This really made my day. Both GOTG films are among my favorite films, and the news that Gunn had been fired really killed my enthusiasm for Vol. 3. I just wish that this whole thing never happened at all and we were getting this next year, but the wait should be worth it now.

IT won't be 2021, if he is still working on Suicide Squad. Which the reports are saying he is. And that comes out in 2021.
I don't see why it couldn't be 2021. They're filming Suicide Squad this fall and he's going right to Vol3 afterwards. The script is already done as well.

I gotta imagine WB is not thrilled about this. Guardians is Gunn's baby, he poured his heart and soul into that franchise. He's gonna have one eye on GOTG3 the whole time shooting for SS2. Won't be surprised if in a couple of weeks, they 'mutually decide' to part ways.
Why Would WB fire James Gunn after Disney has just made it clear that they are going to wait for him to finish SS2?

I don't see why it couldn't be 2021. They're filming Suicide Squad this fall and he's going right to Vol3 afterwards. The script is already done as well.

It's possible there's an agreement that GOTG3 has to released after The Suicide Squad.

I don't necessarily disagree on his firing, public image can be everything for a company, though I was always annoyed it seemed like Marvel Studios was completely blindsided by it. But James Gunn owned it, he didn't deflect or try to blame it on ambien or someone else he apologized and above all else he accepted responsibility. Never attack Disney or anything, apparently it was that attitude that lead the Disney exec to meet with him.

Quite the opposite, with the fallout of his firing WB stood to gain major backlash, but with Disney (the company with the most family friendly image in the world) just gave him a seal approval. Not only have they gained an incredible director who's perfect for Suicide Squad but any backlash has been mitigated.

And he won't have "one eye on GOTG3" he'll have more than enough time to finish the script and prepare to shoot after suicide squad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"