• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

James Gunn's to write early days Superman. New actor to be cast.

I bet we'll still get a bumbling and weaselly Lex as we always do on the big screen. It only seems on TV that we get one who is more deadly, serious and charismatic. As far as the general movie-going public are aware, the Gene Hackman/ Kevin Spacey/ Jessie Eisenberg template is now what movie Lex is supposed to be like.

And Superman also only has 2 enemies as far as they know: Lex Luthor and General Zod. Batman vs Superman did nothing to dispel that myth either because for his 2nd film, Superman had seemingly run out of his own villains and had to resort to fighting the Caped Crusader instead.

Gunn wrote and directed THE Suicide Squad. This was his foray into the DC world and he was hired as head of DC after TSS so what can we deduce....

Live action cartoon Superman/Smallville?. I fear we wont need x-ray vision to see the "depth" of his Superman. Keep the budget under 90 million and maybe they can break even.
No gazillion dollar big name actor fees. With a new cast of nobody newcomers it could be done.
Go straight to streaming like TSS (mostly) save the promo costs...another $150 million in the plus column.

Oh and be sure to title the film...

THE Superman...

; )

But hey, he wrote and stars in this film so there is still HOPE...

I kinda see a trend to his work...

I think Gunn will not only direct, but he will give us THE Superman film that most of us have been begging for for years.
SR was just a continuation of STM, but it has a creepy stalker vibe and no Super villian..
It was a miss.

MoS had all the right action but was awful in its editing and dialog.

It is essential to any Superman story that you have to get the Clark and Lois relationship right. The chemistry between them will make or break the movie. The only issue I had with Man of Steel was Henry Cavill chemistry with Amy Adams was terrible. She might have been the worst Lois ever cast in the movies. I did not see how they fell for each other. It was cringy when they had intimate moments.

Imo, it all starts with the director, and the hope that he "gets" Superman and that he cast the right actors for the right roles.

I think Gunn will not only direct, but he will give us THE Superman film that most of us have been begging for for years.
SR was just a continuation of STM, but it has a creepy stalker vibe and no Super villian..
It was a miss.

MoS had all the right action but was awful in its editing and dialog.

We shall see what Gunn can do. He said he was writing. But did he say directing?

I agree about SR.

I agree about MoS (Snyder in general) to a degree.
Action A+
Story A+
Production value A+
Design A+
Casting A
Dialog B
Editing C-

Editing is Snyder's Kryptonite.

I just don't like how Gunn changes the characters so much. It may have worked for the lesser known ones, but now with the big 3 it will be more obvious. He really did a number on Quill's family. I just hope he doesn't try to do a quippy Superman. Gunn makes a good movie, but somethings you shouldn't mess with too much. The first Guardians movie had a better tone than the rest of Gunn's superhero projects afterwards. Well most of GOTG, he did still manage to throw some awkward humor.

What if Gunn is connecting this movie to The Suicide Squad and its Superman vs Bloodsport or like a team of bad guys Lex puts together to take out Superman?

I think some humor will be unavoidable.
Most ( I'm guessing ) of it will probably come from Jimmy.
Clark will probably be way more laid back this time, with some humor, but his Superman?
I don't know.
Maybe kinda like how Captain America was, ie, Serious most of the time, but he could throw the zingers when needed.

"Come see the movie where Superman gets shot with a kryptonite bullet and is taken out of commission" I don't see that selling very well to the masses at the theater.

I think K needs left out of the first film. As does any mention of Zod or any other Kryptonians.

"Come see the movie where Superman gets shot with a kryptonite bullet and is taken out of commission" I don't see that selling very well to the masses at the theater.

Lol that certainly wouldn't be the main conflict of the story though

I just don't like how Gunn changes the characters so much. It may have worked for the lesser known ones

That's precisely why he got away with it and it worked. Its also why a lot of the humor could be implemented. He knows Superman has much larger expectations and staples within the lore.

I think K needs left out of the first film. As does any mention of Zod or any other Kryptonians.

I think the opposite, I’d personally start this new Superman story AFTER his battle with General Zod and his cronies. This could then be seen as a quasi-sequel to both Superman 2 AND Man Of Steel (as the story is basically the same). Have a very brief background story and just go for it with something we haven’t seen on screen before.

* Zod and crew wouldn’t be dead though, just back in the phantom zone…ready to return in a sequel!

I like the idea of this possibly being a "lost years" movie that could theoretically follow man of steel, the spiritual sequel that we should have gotten before BvS. They can vaguely allude to a conflict with Zod and then movie can go in its own direction.

I predict the first movie's gonna b relatively small scale, I'm betting either Metallo or Parasite will be the main villain. In fact I'll bet the farm on it. Then they'll build up to Brainiac later if its successful.

I don’t wanna hear the word Kryptonian uttered at any point during the film, nor “on my world” blah blah.

Always bugs me when they have Clark speak as if he’s actually been to or has anything to do with Krypton beyond his superpowers.

And I don’t wanna see any geopolitics regarding an alien on Earth etc.

It’s neat that we got that in the previous version, but I think the reboot really needs to avoid all that, at least at the start. Eventually it’d be neat to see Clark in the bottled Kandor or something.

I don’t wanna hear the word Kryptonian uttered at any point during the film, nor “on my world” blah blah.

Always bugs me when they have Clark speak as if he’s actually been to or has anything to do with Krypton beyond his superpowers.
Until the end where Clark learns of his origins?

The whole film is honoring his adopted father's death and it leads to him discovering the ship and it leading him to the FoS?

Until the end where Clark learns of his origins?

The whole film is honoring his adopted father's death and it leads to him discovering the ship and it leading him to the FoS?

I’d rather that we start where he already knows all that, already has the fortress, etc.

Ideally I’d start with Supes already in the League too, the Watchtower already up and running.

I’d rather that we start where he already knows all that, already has the fortress, etc.

Ideally I’d start with Supes already in the League too, the Watchtower already up and running.
I was just going by the whole early days thing Gunn said.

I was just going by the whole early days thing Gunn said.

Could be, but even in Donner’s Superman he learns all that before joining the Daily Planet.

Id like to see a Clark who’s been Supermanning for a while, but only recently moved to Metropolis to try to finally get his career going, one that he earns and wasn’t just gifted. I’d write Clark as the ultimate late bloomer with regards to actual adulting, contrasting with the self-made successful Lex.

Could be, but even in Donner’s Superman he learns all that before joining the Daily Planet.

Id like to see a Clark who’s been Supermanning for a while, but only recently moved to Metropolis to try to finally get his career going, one that he earns and wasn’t just gifted. I’d write Clark as the ultimate late bloomer with regards to actual adulting, contrasting with the self-made successful Lex.
I'm a nut job who would choose to explore Superman's college days and have Lana be his main love interest for the first film if I were to start a new Superman trilogy. :hehe:

I would maybe use elements of John Byrne's Man Of Steel miniseries and other comic books as the backstory, rather than any prior film incarnations. I am not sure I want there to have already been an alien invasion from Zod off screen before we even get the first movie in this new universe.

Just start with 1. Superman already existing, but still a new hero in Metropolis, 2. Lois and Clark being young competing reporters trying to build their careers (and maybe Perry pairs them up for a story), and 3. Lex Luthor being the evil billionaire who hates Superman because he can't control him or buy him off, and keeps interfering with his affairs.

Just start simple and build from there.

I'm a nut job who would choose to explore Superman's college days and have Lana be his main love interest for the first film if I were to start a new Superman trilogy. :hehe:
That's what I want also, Id rather Lana be a platonic relationship though, heck make her a lesbian and Clark's wing man, I could see Maya Hawke doing that well. ( I just realized that she did that in Stranger Things but I didn't even mean to make the connection)

Id maybe introduce Lana in a sequel where he takes Lois back to Smallville, and we learn they were engaged, and almost got married, ready for domestic life taking over the farm, before he “fled” to Metropolis.

If Gunn doesn’t direct, I doubt they get a big name director. I think they’d most likely follow the MCU model and hire an up-and-comer. Gives Gunn some space to not be in the director’s chair, but still allows for he and Safran to still have significant input in the editing room if need be.

What about JD Dillard? His latest movie Devotion was a box office dud but was critically well-received. He was actually rumored to be attached to a Superman project but unsure if that was the Abrams/Coates version…

A lot of things I'm reading here about the "wish list" is Smallville and S&L TV series plot lines IMO. Not BLOCKBUSTER BIG SCREEN entertainment Zaslov talked about.

The last thing I think we need in a NEW Superman movie is a telling of early EMO Clark days.

I am wondering tho how many D jokes and mentions we will get. I thought Snyder had two- too many. After seeing TSS and Peacemaker... I can only imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"