Jared Leto IS The Joker - - - - - - - - - Part 18

What are the odds of this hunka hunka winning? Heath won an Oscar for this very role.

I think Eisenberg has this all locked up.

Flip a coin between Leto and Eisenberg... both are more than deserving.

joker_jared_leto_fan_art_tony_santiago_by_tsantiago-dadmbvd.jpg

Nominated for Razzie Award - Worst Supporting Actor. Alongside Eisenberg. Honestly both deserve it. Just like Cavill and Snyder.

He actually doesn't though. Unlike Eisenberg, Leto gave a competent performance.

They both did. People can argue and whine about how the characters were terribly adapted, but I found no blatant performance issues as far as bringing their written dialog to life.

Flip a coin between Leto and Eisenberg... both are more than deserving.

Eisenberg has the edge. He was like a bad cartoonish caricature. Would be right at home in a Joel Schumacher Batman movie. Leto's performance was weak, but Eisenberg had me cringing nearly every time. Leto at least had some brief moments where he wasn't totally awful.

Still deserves to be nominated though.

Dudes rock climbing and making music everyday he does not have a lack of content, for a busy celeb dude snaps a lot. His bio on Twitter said something like not all tweets my own but he does post on it. Idk it makes sense to me because around now is probably the time he'd be prepping Batfleck if he's in it since it starts shooting in a few months he makes to the other accounts.

Plus he only reposts a minority of his snaps, not a lot.
Here's where you're wrong. I've been following Jared for well over a decade. He surrendered social media at some point last year to Dai, an employee of his.
They also have logins to his snapchat. So anything that's a video upload - definitely not Jared. Anything posted on twitter or Instagram with @'s or links is definitely not Jared. He is not that savvy, trust. You can also bet he is not on Facebook. And yes, most of the content on twitter is just reposted snapchat pics and some emoji. That's because he got called out too much for written content being tweeted that was noticeably not penned by him. It was impossible for them to post in his "voice" - hence also why they added the note about not all tweets being his own. Jared has always flirted with social media, but once he realizes he can't control the content or reaction to the content, he disengages. When he started getting **** for The Joker, he pretty much left all of it behind.his presence on his platforms are nowhere near where they were last in 2014, 2015.

They both did. People can argue and whine about how the characters were terribly adapted, but I found no blatant performance issues as far as bringing their written dialog to life.

You didn't think the hype surrounding Leto's performance wasn't profoundly disappointing? And all his *****ey, as well as unnecessary method acting on set ...

You didn't find not just the dialogue, but the delivery cheesy? Whether he was vacillating between Ledger rip off, or Jim Carey In Living Color, his performance was far from good. At best forgettable. At worst cringe inducing. As he wreaked of tying way too hard.

The purring. The gay mannerisms.

Hunka Hunka?

Oh he's so intense?

This looks neat?

The laughable expression as he weeps like a love sick puppy in his condo before his personal assistant arrives to tell him where Harley is ...

Eisenberg was obviously going to be neurotic, weird, and oddly hyper. We knew this as soon as he was cast what Synder was going for as a modern reinvention of Luther. We saw that a head of time, and it wasn't the conventional take on the character. Which admittedly IMO is usually pretty boring. So the change IMO was welcome.

He was the cerebral antagonist, while for much of the flick Affleck's Batman played like a meat head, drunk on his own anger, physical antagonist all the way up to near the end of the movie. So I didn't need another built muscle man in the role as Lex. Jesse's meek physical appearance was an interesting visual dynamic next to power houses like Cavill and 6'4 Affleck.

But even if he didn't look classic, the Joker was still portrayed fairly accurately in essence unlike Eisenberg's Lex, beyond the ass backward and softly neutered relationship with Harley. But the performance was just cringe. It was garbage. How can the best and most terrifying villain in the genre be either so forgettable or so unintentionally hilarious?! A twerpy Zuckerberg-esque Lex ended up being basically more deranged, creepy and frightening.

The written character sucked, but Jared Leto's performance sucked too. Jared was easily worse than Eisenberg performance wise.

Will Smith is the only reason to watch Suicide Squad. Well, and at certain times Robbie's Harley.

Last edited:
The complaints that he's "trying too hard", that he's annoying, that he's pathetic...

It's like no one here has ever read a comic with The Joker in it.

Last edited:
I loved Leto's take I think it's fair to assess his performance on what it was as a supporting role to Harley's a Quinn. I've heard many people whinge that he's too loved up with her but that's the point of his brief appearances in the film. He's there in service of her story arc. I personally cannot wait to see more of his Joker.

http://murderous-manipulative-angel...ade-a-little-compilation-of-jared-interacting

I agree..just because they weren't the traditional Lex and Joker doesn't mean they gave bad performances. They may have been bad characterizations (to some people), but not bad performances.

Agreed, people too often say things like they were bad performances simply because they weren't the characterisations they wanted.

Last edited:
They were good characterisations and good performances.

See what I did there? Each to their own

The complaints that he's "trying too hard", that he's annoying...

Pretty much.

Leto manages to be perfectly Joker-esque, and gets ripped for it. Proof that with some, you just can't win.

Agreed, people too often say things like they were bad performances simply because they weren't the characterisations they wanted.

100% untrue. Performance and writing do not go hand in hand. For example the MCU's characterization of The Mandarin was very controversial with fans, but Sir Ben Kingsley was not slammed for his acting performance. Conversely the likes of Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy was very comic accurate, as was Arnie's Mr. Freeze, but their performances were campy rubbish.

I agree..just because they weren't the traditional Lex and Joker doesn't mean they gave bad performances.

No, that just makes them bad characterizations. The bad performances come from the poor acting jobs that accompanied these bad characterizations.

That's what makes them both bad characterizations and bad performances. They were the worst of both worlds.

They were bad characterizations and bad performances.

Exactly.

The complaints that he's "trying too hard", that he's annoying, that he's pathetic...

Anyone who uses those as character descriptions of the Joker has never read a comic book with him in it. The Joker doesn't come off as trying too hard to seem crazy like Letoker did. He just naturally is psychotic. He is not an annoying character. The only people he annoys are the fictional characters in his world. Never do you hear of a great Joker characterization annoying the audience.

Do you ever hear fans calling Hamill, Ledger, or Nicholson those things?

You didn't think the hype surrounding Leto's performance wasn't profoundly disappointing? And all his *****ey, as well as unnecessary method acting on set ...

You didn't find not just the dialogue, but the delivery cheesy? Whether he was vacillating between Ledger rip off, or Jim Carey In Living Color, his performance was far from good. At best forgettable. At worst cringe inducing. As he wreaked of tying way too hard.

The purring. The gay mannerisms.

Hunka Hunka?

Oh he's so intense?

This looks neat?

The laughable expression as he weeps like a love sick puppy in his condo before his personal assistant arrives to tell him where Harley is ...

Eisenberg was obviously going to be neurotic, weird, and oddly hyper. We knew this as soon as he was cast what Synder was going for as a modern reinvention of Luther. We saw that a head of time, and it wasn't the conventional take on the character. Which admittedly IMO is usually pretty boring. So the change IMO was welcome.

He was the cerebral antagonist, while for much of the flick Affleck's Batman played like a meat head, drunk on his own anger, physical antagonist all the way up to near the end of the movie. So I didn't need another built muscle man in the role as Lex. Jesse's meek physical appearance was an interesting visual dynamic next to power houses like Cavill and 6'4 Affleck.

But even if he didn't look classic, the Joker was still portrayed fairly accurately in essence unlike Eisenberg's Lex, beyond the ass backward and softly neutered relationship with Harley. But the performance was just cringe. It was garbage. How can the best and most terrifying villain in the genre be either so forgettable or so unintentionally hilarious?! A twerpy Zuckerberg-esque Lex ended up being basically more deranged, creepy and frightening.

The written character sucked, but Jared Leto's performance sucked too. Jared was easily worse than Eisenberg performance wise.

Will Smith is the only reason to watch Suicide Squad. Well, and at certain times Robbie's Harley.

Superb post :up:

Last edited:

Wow, that's about the most concise realization of my own thoughts on the matter. Kudos to you.

100% untrue. Performance and writing do not go hand in hand. For example the MCU's characterization of The Mandarin was very controversial with fans, but Sir Ben Kingsley was not slammed for his acting performance. Conversely the likes of Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy was very comic accurate, as was Arnie's Mr. Freeze, but their performances were campy rubbish.
Yup.

The Joker said:
Anyone who uses those as character descriptions of the Joker has never read a comic book with him in it. The Joker doesn't come off as trying too hard to seem crazy like Letoker did. He just naturally is psychotic. He is not an annoying character. The only people he annoys are the fictional characters in his world. Never do you hear of a great Joker characterization annoying the audience.

Do you ever hear fans calling Hamill, Ledger, or Nicholson those things?
Great post. But that's because they were actually great in the role. The delivery and execution was a million times better.

I shake my head at this Guard fella insinuating I don't have a grasp of the character because Leto's performance (not the character itself) was annoying as crap and wreaked of trying too hard. Falling totally flat in every scene.

Which is kind of an achievement in of itself given how easy the character would provide the opportunity to be menacing.

In regards to Jesse. It's not his performance so much as it is the characterization and reimagining. I get why some don't get down with it. But honestly Lex is boring in every other iteration I've seen him in whether it's tv, movies or animated.

Eisenberg's Lex is undeniably creepy. He's also annoying. You want to see his face get pounded in ... to me that is a somewhat successful take on a villain.

The intimidation factor was provided by Batffleck and later Doomsday as his physical tools.

Leto however has a bad take on the character from look, to script, to performance. I didn't want to see him get taken out, I just wanted to forget he was in the movie every time he embarrassed the source material and previous iterations when on screen.

Jared and Margot are my only reason to watch SS

:loco:

Will Smith is easily the best part of the movie.

That's why the whole plot is catered to him and his character. He's the best actor of the bunch, and by far the most entertaining.

Notice I said Will Smith, and not Deadshot.

Second best would be the underused Viola Davis as Amanda Waller.

Third best was EASILY Ike Barinholtz. Dude was hilarious.

And then 4th was Margot Robbie's pretty face, makeup, and costume design. Some of her scenes were ok, but most of the dialogue was atrocious. And some of the humor was terrible. "Killer App". "What is that, the stench of death?"

The rest of the characters were terrible. Either written, or performed. Especially the highly offensive racial stereotypes.

Oh, the Flash cameo was actually legit. And fun.

:loco:

Will Smith is easily the best part of the movie.

That's why the whole plot is catered to him and his character. He's the best actor of the bunch, and by far the most entertaining.

Notice I said Will Smith, and not Deadshot.

Second best would be the underused Viola Davis as Amanda Waller.

Third best was EASILY Ike Barinholtz. Dude was hilarious.

And then 4th was Margot Robbie's pretty face, makeup, and costume design. Some of her scenes were ok, but most of the dialogue was atrocious. And some of the humor was terrible. "Killer App". "What is that, the stench of death?"

The rest of the characters were terrible. Either written, or performed. Especially the highly offensive racial stereotypes.

Oh, the Flash cameo was actually legit. And fun.

That's something Harley could have easily said in animated series.

Love that you are talking of "highly offensive racial stereotypes" after saying Leto had "gay mannerisms".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"