• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Days of Future Past Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique: Oscar Winner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having the cure not work right away might make for better science (which is barely considered in stories about superheroes), but worse storytelling. The impact of Mystique getting the cure would have been completely ruined if she got hit with the darts, than three months later she slowly turned from blue to white. Leach as a character completely doesn't work if you don't accept that the X-gene can be instantly nullified.

Last edited:
Having the cure not work right away might make for better science (which is barely considered in stories about superheroes), but worse storytelling. The impact of Mystique getting the cure would have been completely ruined if she got hit with the darts, than three months later she slowly turned from blue to white. Leach as a character completely doesn't work if you don't accept that the X-gene can be instantly be nullified.

I agree!

Originally Posted by Great Mind(s)
Yeah it's real stupid. Mystique was born with blue skin. She's blue...not white! It's like...sticking Darwin with a cure needle and having him turn white too. Is it just a white person making gun?

Because the blue skin is part of her mutation, Darwin's black skin is not.

yeah lets not start saying darwin is black because of his mutation, thats just asking for trouble

No I'm not actually saying that. I'm saying it's stupid that Mystique turned white as if her blue skin wasn't who she really was.

If Darwin's power allows him to evolve to survive any situation unharmed, wouldnt he evolve to a more "favorable" skin color to easily survive the 60's?

No I'm not actually saying that. I'm saying it's stupid that Mystique turned white as if her blue skin wasn't who she really was.

I guess the cure instantly deactivated all of her "mutant cells" including her blue skin and her scales. So if she wasn't born a mutant, she would have been a white girl.

The only mistake I saw there was the change of her hair color because Red is a natural hair color.

Jennifer has told E Online that she will wear a bodysuit for DOFP and will start work sometime In May.

Hm. That worries me. Mystique really hasnt looked all that great since x2. Hoping Bryan takes as much care with her appearance as he has in the past.

I wonder if she meant a costume bodysuit rather than a creature suit.

Could be a motion capture suit.

Last edited:
Hm. That worries me. Mystique really hasnt looked all that great since x2. Hoping Bryan takes as much care with her appearance as he has in the past.

Well she says it's from the neck down, so I assume their still using prosthetics on the face. Hopefully.

That's the problem when they decided to depict mystique as being nude in the first films. In that case you really do need a model's (supermodel's essentially) body to be able to pull of that look.

With rebecca that worked great but Jennifer has a much different shape to her that's not as accommodating to that look. It's still gonna be a bit bizarre for us to continually imagine that Jennifer's character will eventually "age" into Rebecca's as they look nothing alike really.

With rebecca that worked great but Jennifer has a much different shape to her that's not as accommodating to that look. It's still gonna be a bit bizarre for us to continually imagine that Jennifer's character will eventually "age" into Rebecca's as they look nothing alike really.
Honestly, for every character it will be a little bizarre. Charles, Erik, Beast (here it's more a matter of prosthetics). They obviously didn't prioritize the look of the actors when they were casting.

I actually mentioned this in another thread here a while ago but i actually think Fassbender looks more like Stewart and McAvoy looks more like McKellen funny enough. Fassbender's definitely more believable as a man in the early stages of balding than McAvoy ha.

Michael%20Fassbender%20portrait%20New%20York%202.jpg

5252847074_49147eceb1.jpg

36890104_james_mcavoy11.jpg

tumblr_lmflwvXaq01qjlxlwo1_500.jpg

Hmm I don't know about this body suit. Hopefully it will help her body look slimmer and I hope it won't look obvious that she's wearing a body suit.

And I think Mystique should have a gun in this movie especially if she's assassinating someone in this movie. And I want to see a character poster of her holding a gun.

It's very troubling for me to hear that this whole body suit business comes out a few days after Jennifer wins an Oscar. I hope it doesn't mess up with the look of the character.

That said, Bryan did say one of the things that irked him about watching the past films was how shoddily done Mystique's shape-shifting looked. Here's hoping he knows what he's doing with this "body suit"

I guess the cure instantly deactivated all of her "mutant cells" including her blue skin and her scales. So if she wasn't born a mutant, she would have been a white girl.

The only mistake I saw there was the change of her hair color because Red is a natural hair color.
Mystique's race is Caucasian. Blue is not a race, its just a mutation. Secondly, the hair is a product of her mutation. It doesn't matter if red is a natural hair color. The gene that expresses her hair color is linked to her genetic mutation. Think of it this way: Caucasians and Asians both have straight hair, however the genes responsible for making their hair straight are two completely different genes. I'm assuming this is the same scenario for mystique where the gene for red hair is not natural

So again I say, if Jean were to be "cured" would her hair then turn raven black a la Mystique? :doh:

Not every mutation mutates your hair color. Mystique was physically changed, Jean was not.

Not every mutation mutates your hair color. Mystique was physically changed, Jean was not.

Exactly, I don't get why this is so hard to get.

Bodysuit huh? I wonder if it's a Mystique bodysuit, mo cap suit or something else?

About the looks of the actors, when it comes to casting younger versions in prequels there has always been an amount of suspension of disbilief involved. And I've never had a huge problem with it,, just using my fantasy and not thinking too deeply about it. I rather have Fassbender as a young Magneto than a lesser actor but who looks more like a young McKellen.

It's a body suit. They did this sort of thing for Anakin's charred body in Episode III. It makes sense. Saves them a **** ton of money and time too.

The body suit concerns me. But I can understand why they're going in that direction considering the actress' health. I hope they manage to maintain that lithe silhouette that they achieve with prosthetics on skin.

I don't have an issue with Jennifer's body. I think she looks beautiful and healthy, athletic even. I even think her cheekbones are similarly structured to Rebecca's.

My main concern is with the design of the character itself. One of the film series greatest accomplishments, in my opinion, is the concept and execution of the design of Mystique. She's looked deadly and alien and sexy all at once. But in X-Men: First Class, that execution seemed to falter. The biggest reason I can see is the fact that they painted the prosthetics the same tone as the skin below it. That caused the overall look to fall flat and we lost dynamics in the scales and across the body.

mystiqueComp.png

I hope they manage to bring the design back to the original concept and make it work with the body suit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"