• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Days of Future Past Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique: Oscar Winner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
THANK YOU!

Every time I watch First Class, I hate her make-up and could never put my finger on why exactly. That's it. Terrible job there, to be honest. Certainly in comparison.

There's no variety or dynamics, as you say. It all blended together.

I would honestly rather she remain clothed than a bodysuit.

What should we be expecting from the bodysuit anyway? How tight can they get without restricting movement?

THANK YOU!

Every time I watch First Class, I hate her make-up and could never put my finger on why exactly. That's it. Terrible job there, to be honest. Certainly in comparison.

There's no variety or dynamics, as you say. It all blended together.

I would honestly rather she remain clothed than a bodysuit.

What should we be expecting from the bodysuit anyway? How tight can they get without restricting movement?

I agree. I mean why can't she wear her classic white costume from the comics. I would much prefer that.
Mystique.jpg

They could easily adapt the uniform into something that looked more modern. And besides the film is set in the seventies, the perfect era for cheesy.

I'd rather see the white suit than another naked Mystique, I'm all for naked Lawrence but this look is old and played out now.
Be nice if they sort out her hairline so it doesn't make her forehead look as large.

Jennifer Lawrence is incredibly down to earth for a hollywood actress, i admire her for that

Yes, if Emma can get away with those outfits she had in First Class, Mystique can.

I expect they'll find a way to have her be undercover for large portions of the film anyway, so they can have non-blue Jennifer.

I'm not sure if they can pull off a body suit that is form fitting enough to look exactly like Mystique in the other movies. Simply by the fact that it is a body suit and fabric, won't it look like fabric, especially stretched across her breasts? It won't have the same look as actually being naked. I would rather they gave her the white dress anyway as I've never been really a fan of movie Mystique's make up or look. It was better when Rebecca wore it, but Jennifer doesn't really pull it off. She seems to look more frumpy whereas Rebecca looked sleek and sexy.

Not only was the First Class Mystique make-up lacking in dynamics, the blue color itself didn't look as good. I liked the darker and deeper hue of the first two X-Men movies the best.

I liked the more vibrant color, matched well with the movie's tone. But yeah... they really half-assed on the prosthetics.

because it would look cheesy

I dont see how. She just looks like a Femme Fatale. Tons of films play that look in thrillers and spy flicks. If audiences buy a 70 year old man in a red helmet and cape then something similar to Mystiques comic look should not be a problem. Since when have people complained about characters looking too much like the comic source anyways?

Last edited:
I agree. I mean why can't she wear her classic white costume from the comics. I would much prefer that.
Mystique.jpg

I actually think this is the look that Mystique should have looked like since the beginning of this franchise.

But since they have already done it for 4 films, I don't want them to change that for DOFP.

My main concern is with the design of the character itself. One of the film series greatest accomplishments, in my opinion, is the concept and execution of the design of Mystique. She's looked deadly and alien and sexy all at once. But in X-Men: First Class, that execution seemed to falter.

Well, the whole approach to the character was different in the two films. In the original series, Mystique is an exotic, sexy femme fatale, so the design of the character would do everything possible to accentuate that. In FC, she is a young insecure girl who has trouble accepting her natural shape, so the "sexy and deadly" was not really a priority there.

I wonder how body suit will work; is it going to be a full-on Mystique suit or are they going to add the finer details like scales later? It's going to be one tight bodysuit, too :woot:

Well, the whole approach to the character was different in the two films. In the original series, Mystique is an exotic, sexy femme fatale, so the design of the character would do everything possible to accentuate that. In FC, she is a young insecure girl who has trouble accepting her natural shape, so the "sexy and deadly" was not really a priority there.

And I have absolutely no problems with that. Mystique was part of the heart of the X-Men:First Class and the scene of her stepping out in her true form was remarkable.

My problem is that they messed with a very successful design in the character, that ended up being a detriment to her appearance--something that her character is built up to be all about. The character design lost a bit of its appeal in my eyes.

Maybe also Jennifer doesn't want to get naked again for the make up, which is why she's having a body suit now.

And yeah, the blue in FC wasn't great.

I heard the blue paint is giving her skin allergies or irritations. Plus it takes hours to finish the look.

Last edited:
I heard the blue paint is giving her skin allergies or irritations. Plus it takes a hour to finish the look.

Understandable stuff. As long as she looks like Mystique and delivers in the performance department, I'm down with the body suit.

If it gives her allergies, won't it still do that if it's on her face? I'm guessing she won't spend too much time in her blue form then.

I guess the make-up/costume department will just have to find a different ingredient or substance for their make-up/body paint that won't give Jennifer Lawrence skin irritations and allergies,

What I'm having trouble understanding is since Bryan worked on the first two movies and on First Class, why was there no continuity in the Mystique look. You would think they would have catalogued all the details of what hue of blue to use, how it's applied and all that other stuff. And how hard would it have been to use the same team that did Rebecca's?

What I'm having trouble understanding is since Bryan worked on the first two movies and on First Class, why was there no continuity in the Mystique look. You would think they would have catalogued all the details of what hue of blue to use, how it's applied and all that other stuff. And how hard would it have been to use the same team that did Rebecca's?
Continuity clearly wasn't a huge priority with First Class. The slight change in prosthetics and paint was not what made the Mystique character so different than her older self.

Well its been a long time since he worked in a X-Men movie and the costume department probably didn't have the same color of paint that X1/X2/X3 Mystique had. Even if the change of color looks so obvious, its not really a big concern to the crew unless the director told them to change it. And I don't think Bryan Singer is very detailed with how his characters look like in the movie.

The guy who designed Mystique and applied the makeup retired sometime after x2, which is why mystique in x3 doesn't look as good. The lighter blue in First class was to fit the 60s vibe of the film.

The guy who designed Mystique and applied the makeup retired sometime after x2, which is why mystique in x3 doesn't look as good.

This was the answer I was looking for. I didn't know this. Thanks!

That said, considering Jennifer had a negative reaction to the paint and/or prosthetics (blisters, etc) when Rebecca's only bad experience with the material was having a hard time removing it thoroughly, it was obviously bad call on the production's part not to seek out the original team, or at least use the same techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"