• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Justice League or Justice League of America?

yeah but, essentially they're all heroes who live in and operate out of america. plus, they're icons of american pop culture. and how about the fact its the name of the damn team, always has been. taking the america out of it would be a clear sign that they're afraid of offending people or that they're ashamed, and neither should be the case.

icons because they were created by americans rather than anything specific to the characters themselves. Its nice that you like that patriotism and as i've said it would be fine to have the 'of america' in america for that reason but its unneccessary in the rest of the world and inaccurate for the team. The cartoons neglected the 'of america' part for a more a worldwide focus and it was very successful I don't see why the movie should be different.

It doesn't matter what the title is. If you think about it, Batman Begins is not a very good title, imo. Does anyone care? No. They could just call it JLA like TMNT.

icons because they were created by americans rather than anything specific to the characters themselves. Its nice that you like that patriotism and as i've said it would be fine to have the 'of america' in america for that reason but its unneccessary in the rest of the world and inaccurate for the team. The cartoons neglected the 'of america' part for a more a worldwide focus and it was very successful I don't see why the movie should be different.

eh, i still dont think its innacurate for the team though because they're based out of and operate in america. and while their duties often take them out of the american borders, doesnt mean it needs to be dropped.

either way, that isnt necessarily my issue. my problem is, the likely reason why it would be dropped is because studios would be afraid of offending and/or neglecting other countries. and thats bull to me.

Wonder Woman was created by Jews anyways. and they dont always operate in america, in fact they rarely do

This is stupid! They are the Justice League of America that is the bottom line. This is going to be just like in Superman Returns when they were not aloud to say "truth, justice and the american way" and changed it to "truth, justice and all that stuff". If you ask me it is very lame. All they need to do is call it JLA in America and JLU internationally. There problem solved.

Wonder Woman was created by Jews anyways. and they dont always operate in america, in fact they rarely do

I've seen plenty of Jews operate in America.

thats not the reason they named it JLU. it was because the cast was unlimited,ech episode a different chracter would star. with the fan favorites being in the toon.

I got it! Let’s just rename America France and burry our heads in the sand? This way we won’t offend anyone.

This is stupid! They are the Justice League of America that is the bottom line. This is going to be just like in Superman Returns when they were not aloud to say "truth, justice and the american way" and changed it to "truth, justice and all that stuff". If you ask me it is very lame. All they need to do is call it JLA in America and JLU internationally. There problem solved.

When you rely on 40 to 50 percent of your profits to come from overseas it is not stupid to consider how you title your film (at least in those countries abroad). "Superman Returns" relied on 49% of its revenue from foriegn box office returns. If they turned away 30% of the foriegn audience by placing emphasis on "America" we wouldn't be entertaining the possibility of having a "The Man of Steel" project.

I got it! Let’s just rename America France and burry our heads in the sand? This way we won’t offend anyone.

I don't think it is necessarily a matter of offending but disinterest. Everybody is proud of their nationality, so why should they be intrested in something from another country. Would many of you be intrested in the film if it were made in Bollywood?

Oh Please we are being way to PC here. Who really cares if you piss off someone in the middle east by calling it JLA? They don't change the name of the comic over there or the cartoons. I think they can handle a JLA title. Those who are offended by the title don't need to see it.

jesus, so now just the word "America" offends the delicate sensibilities of the rest of the world?

So the people in the rest of the world who wear blue jeans and baseball caps while drinking Coke, and listen to their iPods while surfing the internet on a Dell computer are suddenly going to draw a line of demarcation about the US when going to see a Hollywood motion picture about American pop culture icons solely because it has the word "America" in the title? :confused:

Man, Captain America is ****ed when his movie comes out :rolleyes:

Oh Please we are being way to PC here. Who really cares if you piss off someone in the middle east by calling it JLA? They don't change the name of the comic over there or the cartoons. I think they can handle a JLA title. Those who are offended by the title don't need to see it.

I don't think anyone here said anything close to that. It was suggested that people internationally might be turned off to the America at the end. The international audience regularly spending money to see American made movies are unlikely to be affected by the name anyway.

exactly...the word "america" alienates other countries from relating. i swear....."team america" would've done better overseas if it'd just been titled "team", hehe...

...but seriously....i'd rather them leave "america" out.

Personally I think the rest of the world can go screw itself blue, but as for the America name being in it I couldn't care less.

I say leave the America out. Is it really necessary? What's it there for? Aquaman does not operate from America. Wonder Woman does not operate from America (I don't think. I don't read her book.). The Watchtower's on the MOON for christ's sake. America is really just there for that extra touch of patriotism. Justice League works just fine and it's what most people will recognize. They see America added to it and it comes off kind of arrogant, if not selfish.

Oh Please we are being way to PC here. Who really cares if you piss off someone in the middle east by calling it JLA?

If you are concerned with loosing money because people were turned off by it you would care. Then again you stand to loose nothing on this anyway so it shouldn't matter to you.

They don't change the name of the comic over there or the cartoons. I think they can handle a JLA title. Those who are offended by the title don't need to see it.

And American comic books don't sell very well in foreign countries as they do in the United States either. Look Marvel and DC don't rely so much on the sales from foreign markets as they do here in the states, else they would have made changes to accommodate.

I don't think it is necessarily a matter of offending but disinterest. Everybody is proud of their nationality, so why should they be intrested in something from another country. Would many of you be intrested in the film if it were made in Bollywood?

people arent interested in bollywood films because their crap films, not because they're indian films. but people dig james bond...and that s#!t is so f**king british.

I say leave the America out. Is it really necessary? What's it there for? Aquaman does not operate from America. Wonder Woman does not operate from America (I don't think. I don't read her book.). The Watchtower's on the MOON for christ's sake. America is really just there for that extra touch of patriotism. Justice League works just fine and it's what most people will recognize. They see America added to it and it comes off kind of arrogant, if not selfish.

wonder woman operates from america. aquaman is pretty much the only one on the team who doesnt. and why is it arrogant and selfish to be from america?

jesus, so now just the word "America" offends the delicate sensibilities of the rest of the world?

So the people in the rest of the world who wear blue jeans and baseball caps while drinking Coke, and listen to their iPods while surfing the internet on a Dell computer are suddenly going to draw a line of demarcation about the US when going to see a Hollywood motion picture about American pop culture icons solely because it has the word "America" in the title? :confused:

Man, Captain America is ****ed when his movie comes out :rolleyes:

They'll probably just drop the "America" and name the movie "Captain." :o

Didn't say it was arrogant to be from America. I said it's arrogant to slap the American name on an international group. It's like making the UN the United Nations of America. These people represent different cultures and fight on a global scale. There's no prioritization of the American people. Batman and Superman have both been known to go against the US government itself, and they LIVE in the United States. Slapping the American name on it just for the sake of it is like saying "This is ours! This is our Justice League! Not your's! Ours! Get your own!".

They'll probably just drop the "America" and name the movie "Captain." :o

See now that's different. Captain America is an American icon. An American soldier created by America to fight for America in World War II. The Justice League really has no relation besides some of it's members living in the country with only 3 of them actually being born in it.

Didn't say it was arrogant to be from America. I said it's arrogant to slap the American name on an international group. It's like making the UN the United Nations of America. These people represent different cultures and fight on a global scale. There's no prioritization of the American people. Batman and Superman have both been known to go against the US government itself, and they LIVE in the United States. Slapping the American name on it just for the sake of it is like saying "This is ours! This is our Justice League! Not your's! Ours! Get your own!".

but...they DONT represent different cultures. but they're american heroes who live and operate out of america, and stand for the american ideals of truth and justice. and obviously, they're not claiming anything as "theirs", thats ridiculous to imply.

I think you are misreading my posts. I did not say the heroes are claiming America. I mean America is claiming the heroes. Wonder Woman does not represent Themyscera? The Martian Manhunter does not represent Mars (what's left of it)? Aquaman does not represent Atlantis? Hawkman. Green Lantern alone doesn't just represent earth but this entire section of the universe. They stand for truth and justice but who besides Superman said anything about American ideals? Living here is not the same as representing here. I live in America but I've been waving a St. Lucian flag before I even got here at 8 years old.

You’re absolutely wrong in your statement because the fact of the matter is, THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD IS VERY INTERESTED IN EVERY THING THAT IS AMERICA. I’m not talking just the movie and music industries, or THE JUSTICE LEAGUE of yes AMERICA. I’m talking about our whole way of life. In the grand scheme of things, AMERICA IS THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERS. Whether you hate us or love us, whether you agree or disagree with our politics, America’s influences on popular culture is every where. No I wouldn’t be bit interested in anything that comes out of Bollywood but, every one is interested in what comes from America. America is not a four letter word and shouldn’t be omitted because it’s offensive to the rest of the world.

The best idea has already been mentioned. Call the movie JLA here, and retitle it Justice League elsewhere. Probably pretty much solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"