Justice Society of America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power Girl feels much more a part of the JSA family at this point.

Power Girl feels much more a part of the JSA family at this point.
Exactly since the the JSA pretty much absorbed Infinity Inc. into their ranks.

EDIT: And made her chairwoman until the JSA split and then she took up leadership of the All-Stars.

Last edited:
The JLI is some bizarro League that doesn't suck. In terms of tone, roster, stories, splitting the League, etc. it feels like a completely different team than that of the regular JLA.

And even now, DC treats it as a separate team as in here's the JLA (The Big 7 plus others) and the JLI (Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Fire, Ice, Guy Gardner, Captain Atom, Rocket Red, Power Girl)
Not really. They're doing that right now because of this big, continuing Max Lord mega-arc that concerns them more than any other version of the League, but there's nothing more "bizarro" about the JLI than the Satellite Era League or the Detroit League, suckage notwithstanding. J'onn and Batman were on the roster for a while, so it's not like they never had anyone important, either. They were just a particular period in the ever-fluctuating League's history that has taken on some kind of special status long after their time because they had the very distinctive comedy aspect. But they're still "a" Justice League on par with the Big Seven League or the Satellite League.

And yeah, I associate PG with the JSA more too, but that shouldn't really matter for a bridge character. I also associate Hawkman with the JSA a lot more because he's a founder of that group, whereas he's just some angry dude with wings to the JLA.

He's been some angry dude with wings everywhere he goes. He was like that in Justice Society of America.

Yes, but he's also a founder of the JSA. Not so with the JLA. Really, the only important things I can think of with him on the JLA are his relationships with the Atom and Green Arrow, neither of which makes him a particularly effective bridge between the teams.

Hawkman should be in the JSA and should be chairman. He was the JSA's chairman longer than anyone. The real problem is that none of you guys have ever seen him written right, where he is a thinking man's hero and not the one note joke Conan with wings that Johns turned him into. Roy Thomas, Gardner Fox, Tony Isabella...those guys wrote Hawkman right. DC also needs to split Hawkman back up and fix his history to it's Pre-Crisis setup. In fact, until the incredibly wrongheaded decision to make Hawkworld regular DC and not an Elseworlds, this is what they did...Carter Hall as the JSA original, Katar Hol as the Thanagarian policeman and JLA member. What they did to Hawkman was a huge case of fixing what is not broken. Unfortunately by continuing to tie Carter to Thanagar, Johns continues to break it. Hawkman's personality works when he is scholarly and intelligent and adopts the warrior side of his persona when he needs to, not the "Kill Hath-Set!" child Hulk character that Johns has saddled him with.

Hawkman should be in the JSA and should be chairman. He was the JSA's chairman longer than anyone. The real problem is that none of you guys have ever seen him written right, where he is a thinking man's hero and not the one note joke Conan with wings that Johns turned him into. Roy Thomas, Gardner Fox, Tony Isabella...those guys wrote Hawkman right. DC also needs to split Hawkman back up and fix his history to it's Pre-Crisis setup. In fact, until the incredibly wrongheaded decision to make Hawkworld regular DC and not an Elseworlds, this is what they did...Carter Hall as the JSA original, Katar Hol as the Thanagarian policeman and JLA member. What they did to Hawkman was a huge case of fixing what is not broken. Unfortunately by continuing to tie Carter to Thanagar, Johns continues to break it. Hawkman's personality works when he is scholarly and intelligent and adopts the warrior side of his persona when he needs to, not the "Kill Hath-Set!" child Hulk character that Johns has saddled him with.
I personally would like to see Hawkman be both.

I think that Hawkman needs a little fixing. A good way to reboot the character IMO would be combining the Conan with wings with the intelligent scholarly archeologist. Add in some conservative politics as well and send him back to Midway City.

I personally would like to see Hawkman be both.

I think that Hawkman needs a little fixing. A good way to reboot the character IMO would be combining the Conan with wings with the intelligent scholarly archeologist. Add in some conservative politics as well and send him back to Midway City.

I'd split him back into two characters and let the Thanagarian JLA Hawkman be the con and Ollie's bickering partner/drinking buddy and Atom's friend, and leave Carter with his old JSA buddies.

Hey, the last time Hawkman was (supposedly) really good was when Johns and Goyer brought him back in JSA, which continued into his own series. What was he immediately before that? Hint: it starts with a D. ;)

I wish Willingham had a longer run. I was really enjoying what he was writing. He tended to write the characters as a little too jovial sometimes, but his stories always kept me hooked.

I can't say that I'm a fan of Guggenheim, but I've only ever read his Blade, Wolverine, and that Hyperion vs. Nighthawk mini. I absolutely hated his Blade, and the Wolverine I read from him was boring. The Supreme Power mini was a decent read though, so I'll give him a chance.

JSA Special #1 Preview

219a2hg.jpg

****ing Magog. How many times is he going to be responsible for the end of the world?

Isn't Gog already on the Source Wall? Aggravating? And what is Superman-22 doing back?

The whole Magog thing is so annoying because his character actually had a decent redemption arc in Kingdom Come that no one seems to remember.

I can't say that I'm a fan of Guggenheim, but I've only ever read his Blade, Wolverine, and that Hyperion vs. Nighthawk mini. I absolutely hated his Blade, and the Wolverine I read from him was boring. The Supreme Power mini was a decent read though, so I'll give him a chance.
Guggenheim turned the Flash: The Fastest Man Alive away from mediocrity to a rather good book (until DC killed Bart).

He was on the Spidey Brain Trust writing Character Assassination and a few other arcs on the Amazing Spider-Man.

He also did the Civil War arc for Wolverine which took his healing factor to an abusrd level, but he made it up by depowering Logan quite a bit to the point where he can now be killed.

And he also did Young X-Men which was a decent read.

Just what DC needed more of, a character specifically created to be a terrible, uninteresting character.

Hawk's dead again? :huh:
Birds of Prey #4 left him in a dying state where he asked Dove not to bother and do not let him be resurrected because it's wrong. It was actually quite a touching scene.

I give it 50/50 of him being dead or staying alive. It would actually be cool to see "Mission failed, life terminated" as opposed to the "Mission succeeded, life restored" that we've seen with Jade and Professor Zoom.

Oh, please, he's staying alive. Some other White Lantern'll probably happen by and magically heal all his wounds like J'onn did to Miss Martian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"