Karl Urban IS Skurge The Executioner

I think Hela needed someone to play off from. Skurge was the logical choice. And they had some pretty good moments together. I guess there could have been even more to that relationship and a better pay off by the end. In the end of the day Skurge served his purpose even though they could have extracted more depth out of certain moments with him to really honor the comics.

Still we got to see some iconic imagery and moments. Could have had more impact though.

I think there could have been other characters she could play off from. Maybe have Loki not go Sakaar and bow down to Hela when she arrives on Asgard. Skurge to me just didn’t need to be there. And that iconic imagery you mention means nothing to someone like me who didn’t read those particular comics.

I busted out laughing when they randomly cut to him with the shake-weight. LOLOL

Definitely wasn't expecting his character but I think he worked and I'm glad Keith Urban wasn't wasted for once.

Hey remember when he was Eomer in Lord of the rings? Crazy times. Gosh we all looked so young back then

As a fan of Skurge's last stand from Simonson's run... He was underwhelming to me. Which is a shame and not something I hold Urban to account for. They dropped the ball on him. [BLACKOUT]I felt nothing when he mad his sacrifice. It felt perfunctory and in there simply as fan service. [/BLACKOUT]

Did we watch the same movie? [BLACKOUT]His sacrifice was clearly being set up throughout the film and the pay off was very good.[/BLACKOUT] Here's a post I found that pretty much explains my thoughts: http://lettersfromeleanorrigby.tumblr.com/post/167358714595/thoughts-on-skurge-from-thor-ragnarok

I laughed with Skurge's "Behold.... my stuff."
The way he presented it and walked cracked me up. Such a buffoon. :)

tumblr_p0m2794vOX1ui45hlo1_1280.jpg

It's too bad Skurge does not have a larger roll in Ragnarok, but what I think would be cool is if Skurge The Executioner could have his connection with Amora the Enchantress be replaced by Ares The God of War in Thor 4. It would allow for the opportunity to introduce the Olympian's? The Enchantress charming and turning Hercules against Thor with Ares planning to jump in to take down the already exhausted winner. We have already seen Ares alluded to on Sakaar's stadium, so it would be a good way to tie things together. I know it is probably unlikely, but I just think it would make for a great Thor 4.

Surfer

Don't hold your breath waiting for Enchantress to appear in the movies, I think they just combined her role with Hela's in this film. I doubt Enchantress will appear in the films.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Enchantress to appear in the movies, I think they just combined her role with Hela's in this film. I doubt Enchantress will appear in the films.

I'm inclined to agree, using another powerful female Asgardian sorceress type at this stage may end up feeling like too much of a re-tread of Hela, especially considering Hela already stole Amora's henchman.

I'm personally glad that they went for Hela over Amora for the MCU, mostly because I think the 'sexy female villain uses her feminine wiles to try to seduce the hero' is a pretty tired, cliche trope these days. Don't get me wrong, I like Amora in the comics but she usually relies entirely on her magical skills and seductive powers, she's not a physically intimidating opponent in any way like Hela is.

One thing I really appreciated about Hela in Ragnarok (and that I saw mentioned in a few articles and reviews) was that she wasn't defined by her gender in any way, she very well could have been a male character with no amendments to the storyline needed at all. Yes, a lot of people think she was sexy, but that's more down to the fact that she was played with a lot of swagger by a very beautiful, charismatic actress rather than how she was actually written. She was an extremely powerful, badass, intimidating warrior first and foremost.

Anway, I digress. But yeah, sadly I don't see Amora cropping up in the MCU at this stage. Not for a long time anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"