Karl Urban IS Skurge The Executioner

Could be done in different ways. All from just elevating him with shoes to filming him in the same way they do to make Tom Cruise seem of normal height in his movies.

Personally I don't really care about the height too much. It's not core for the character of Skurge to be the tallest guy around. Neither he or Thor are nearly as big as they are drawn in the comics anyway.

Mjölnir;35589443 said:
Could be done in different ways. All from just elevating him with shoes to filming him in the same way they do to make Tom Cruise seem of normal height in his movies.

Personally I don't really care about the height too much. It's not core for the character of Skurge to be the tallest guy around. Neither he or Thor are nearly as big as they are drawn in the comics anyway.

Tom Cruise is 5'8 and normal height is 5'9, so he's more or less normal height already. Also comic Thor is 6'6 and Hemsworth is 6'3-6'4 which is close enough, Skurge is 7'2 in the comics and Carl Urban is 6'1 huge difference.

Tom Cruise is 5'8 and normal height is 5'9, so he's more or less normal height already. Also comic Thor is 6'6 and Hemsworth is 6'3-6'4 which is close enough, Skurge is 7'2 in the comics and Carl Urban is 6'1 huge difference.

I wasn't talking about their heights but their size. They've both at times been portrayed as inhumanly large. We're just not getting that when we have actors playing them, which is fine to me as their height is not a core feature for either character.

I reckon they'll do Skurge justice. But I wish they'd hired genuine Asgardians.

Hela is also 7'0 according to the Official Marvel handbook, but I don't see anyone complaining that she's not towering over Thor.

I reckon they'll do Skurge justice. But I wish they'd hired genuine Asgardians.

I know, right? Stop giving Asgardian roles to Midgardians and putting the genuine Asgardians out of work, Hollywood!

1c6cc05d222cb942a9140f2c32ea3932--gandalf-wizards.jpg

I'm sorry but the height "problem" is a laughable one to have with Karl Urban's Skurge. I mean... Come on. So what he is around the same height as Thor. Jesus. They're both big. Get over it. This is the Marvel Cinematic Universe not the Marvel Comics Universe.

Last edited:
Karl Urban
My character is operating the Bifrost device and suddenly Cate Blanchett walks through the Bifrost and I very astutely realized I either joined her or die. So my character is a survivalist. The journey of Skurge is really “OK, now you made a pact with the devil and it comes with a price.” That price is constantly upped through the movie and that is his journey.

I was watching Avengers: EMH the other day which made it feel a little weird, it's not the end of the world. I never said it was a big deal or even made it seem that way.

I definitely didn't think that fleeting comment would spark all of this geez.

Last edited:
Karl Urban

Sounds like Skurge initially thinks this is just a coup. Meet the new queen, same as the old king. Or if not the same, its basically just "new ruler conquers the place".

And then he finds out, over the course of the movie, that no, he's not dealing with "Disgruntled old Asgardian comes to conquer and rule Asgard". He's dealing with something much, much worse.

Sounds like Skurge initially thinks this is just a coup. Meet the new queen, same as the old king. Or if not the same, its basically just "new ruler conquers the place".

And then he finds out, over the course of the movie, that no, he's not dealing with "Disgruntled old Asgardian comes to conquer and rule Asgard". He's dealing with something much, much worse.
Exactly.

I guess this is right when Hela arrives on Asgard through the Bifrost and makes Skurge the ultimatum. Join me or die kind of situation. Here they are both inside the "Bifrost area" looking in the direction of Asgard.
comic-con-2017-why-skurge-betrays-thor-for-hela-in-thor-ragn_3tqw.png
Here Skurge looks disgusted with how Hela takes down the asgardian army.
skurgehela.png

He may well be disgusted there, but I certainly can't tell by his expression hahaha
He basically looks 'Skurgey' :D

He may well be disgusted there, but I certainly can't tell by his expression hahaha
If you look closely in the trailer or on a high resolution image you'll see it better.
This image to me read like this... in relation to what Skurge is thinking and knowing more or less the context of that scene.

"WTF is she doing."
Thor-Ragnarok-Hela-and-Skurge-Arrive.jpg

Last edited:

Skurgey, heh. :woot: Yeah, Skurge definitely isn't much of a smiler in the first place.

The Skurge/Hela dynamic sounds interesting so far, Karl Urban said that Skurge has a great arc in this film which is one of the reasons he was attracted to the role. I would put money on them pulling from Simonson's run and doing some version of Skurge's last stand.

Skurgey, heh. :woot: Yeah, Skurge definitely isn't much of a smiler in the first place.

The Skurge/Hela dynamic sounds interesting so far, Karl Urban said that Skurge has a great arc in this film which is one of the reasons he was attracted to the role. I would put money on them pulling from Simonson's run and doing some version of Skurge's last stand.

They pretty much showed it in the teaser trailer when Skurge was shooting those M-16's.

Thor-Ragnarok-Costume-Exhibit-8.jpg

Skurge1.jpg

Skurge2.jpg

Skurge3.jpg

Skurge4.jpg

Skurge5.jpg

Last edited:

The second-tallest actor in Lord of the Rings (after the guy who played Saruman) was John Rhys-Davies, *who played the dwarf.*

It's not rocket science.

And since Skurge is supposed to be half-giant, I'd definitely like for him to be big.

Skurge's armour is insanely badass, especially the centre part with the two wolf heads. :hmr:

I was pleasantly surprised that despite being a relatively minor supporting character, the film put over Skurge's personality just right, gave him a well developed character arc, and did justice to his iconic comic moment. An X-Men supporting character would kill to have Skurge's treatment.

^^^Totally agree with that. I wasnt expecting that awesome accent either. :D

I was pleasantly surprised that despite being a relatively minor supporting character, the film put over Skurge's personality just right, gave him a well developed character arc, and did justice to his iconic comic moment. An X-Men supporting character would kill to have Skurge's treatment.

^^^Totally agree with that. I wasnt expecting that awesome accent either. :D

I love Urban's Skurge, I don't think he's being given enough credit.

I love how he was set up as being a bit of a useless, easily distracted coward and both Loki and Hela's exasperation at him was funny ("You had one job!" "Skurge, where's the SWORD?" :funny:) but then he totally redeemed himself at the end. A great little supporting character arc based on one of the greatest comic book moments of all time.

"Tex-arse" :woot:

I love Urban's Skurge, I don't think he's being given enough credit.

I love how he was set up as being a bit of a useless, easily distracted coward and both Loki and Hela's exasperation at him was funny ("You had one job!" "Skurge, where's the SWORD?" :funny:) but then he totally redeemed himself at the end. A great little supporting character arc based on one of the greatest comic book moments of all time.

"Tex-arse" :woot:

I love the "Des + Troy" bit :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"