Jeff Goldblum IS The Grandmaster

Sakaar, a barbaric planet ruled by the charming but nefarious Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum). Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), a tough, hard-drinking warrior hiding out on Sakaar brings the god to the Grandmaster.
So Valkyrie actually brings Thor to the Grandmaster.

000251059.jpg

We are reaching Maximum Goldblum

He's gonna be so enjoyable in this movie.

You know, I didn't like the look initially. But after being reminded of the comic Grandmaster, and hearing he's the Collector's brother I'm liking it more.

Plus, somewhat stretching the connection, I seriously enjoyed del Toro's voice when he explained the infinity stones to the Guardians :D

So yeah - Go limitless Grandblum!

This entire time, I was getting excited about the inevitable conversation between Stark and Strange but with the new potential of Goldblum and Del Toro ending up in a scene together...I can't wait!

What no one understands is that isn't Jeff on set. That's just what the man wears on an average Wednesday.

Friday night it's dark shirts and shades, or as he likes to call it, "The Ian Malcolm collection".

On Sundays, he relaxes by taking off his human skin and lounging around in his natural humanoid-fly-fused-to-transportation-pod form.

So we're getting Elders of the Universe sprinkled throughout Phase 3 with The Grandmaster and Ego the Living Planet showing up this year and Peter Dinklage possibly showing up as another next year. I'm so excited to see Marvel really taking chances with these movies.

i wonder how his character is in the movie a little freaky like the Collector or dead serious

i wonder how his character is in the movie a little freaky like the Collector or dead serious

Come on, this is Jeff Goldblum wearing blue eyeliner. Nothing about that screams 'dead serious' to me. :funny: I'm sure the Grandmaster can be presented as being a serious threat, but he's going to be every bit as camp and oddball as Del Toro's Collector.

Yeh he is definitely going to be "quirky". It's Jeff Goldblum.

If you create characters like Collector and Grandmaster and make them dead serious you miss the point. Collector is the guy who keeps a talking duck in a suit in a glass showcase. You can't make thoe characters serious.

If you create characters like Collector and Grandmaster and make them dead serious you miss the point. Collector is the guy who keeps a talking duck in a suit in a glass showcase. You can't make thoe characters serious.

You also can't undermine them dramatically too much either. In the original comic of the Infinity Gauntlet story you for sure are supposed to understand the awesome power and cosmic majesty that is being arrayed against Thanos when the various universal powers from the Elders to Galactus to the Celestials confront the mad Titan.

When you do something like take them too seriously as, making Galactus a poo cloud as in the Story FF movie because the studio or the director thought a giant humanoid in space armor was too easily mocked or absurd, yeah that undermines the essential character by making it something far different than the original comic... Highlighting the inherent absurdity and turning them into camp though, and I would argue that is what they did with with the Collector, can also undermine the characters, especially if there s plans to use them in a later film like IW.

And as always, my response to the idea that you shouldn't have seriousness as the floor when handling these characters for the most part is... As kids when we were introduced to these universes we took them very seriously. Enough so that they did not fade in our psyche as something merely for children.

Of course in comparison to our real world it's all absurd, and you can't weight these ideas down with "logic" to the point that they cannot soar under the banner of suspension of disbelief, but as I see it, suspension of disbelief can also be pierced if you only take the absurdity at face value, present it as such and therefor drain the stakes and drama.

There is a great line from THE FIRST AVENGER that Zola says to Tommy Lee Jones' Col. character that sums this up for me. After Zola reveals the Skulls plans the Col. responds:

Col. : That's crazy.

Zola: The sanity of the plan is of no consequence.

Col. : And why is that?

Zola: BECAUSE HE CAN DO IT!

All stuff in super hero stories is bat-guano nuts. Most villain plans to "take over the world" would fall apart upon further examination. But in reading the stories the presentation has usually been that as out there as any of it is you are supposed to buy it all really happening under the umbrella of suspension of disbelief. Do too much to draw attention to the absurdity or illogic and it can in my mind really reduce the impact and experience of the story and characters. None of that precludes humor n any way but it I think it shows that the focus should be on making and action adventure story featuring heroic characters, not injecting humor to the point of collapsing the belief in what is going on in the story.

I was not expecting this I mean Goldblum appearing in the MCU eventually, sure. But not this movie and this role.

Yep haha, predicted he'd be in the MCU but definitely not as this!

He gets to use his chaos theory for real now.

He gets to use his chaos theory for real now.

Do you think they'd be so on the nose as to have him do dialog that references chaos theory? He is the master of games. That could include probability, ect., no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"