• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

L.A. Noire (PS3, 360)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Homicide probably should have been the end point. I don't know much about the real order a cop is promoted, but things like investigating fraud or drugs never seem as serious (or fun to watch), to me, as investigating a serial killer.

I am almost done the Homicide desk and I agree it has been great so far. Hearing that it slides a little after is a bit of a bummer, but I'm still crazy exciting to keep going.

Vice deals with organized crime, which is generally higher on the pecking order over homicide. It makes sense to go from homicide to vice, but here homicide was just far more compelling.

Just finished the game, clocked in right at 20 hours, altho i didnt find any film reels, only found one badge and found only like 19 of the hidden cars.

Overall, great game, but i felt the highpoint of the game ended after you completed the Homicide desk. The game seemed to trail off after that point. Really didnt care for the final few hours.

I deff hope to see more games like this. I loved the gameplay of reviewing a crime scene, finding clues and interrogating witnesses.

That's a little disappointing to hear. Hopefully, I'll dig the final hours. I've heard they're supposed to be great, along with the ending.

I don't think we'll see other games like this. The one thing that other games will probably try and take will be the facial scan tech that led to the incredible looking faces and facial expressions.

I thought after Red Dead Redemption, we'd see a slew of western games. Instead, the only other western game on the market left the old west behind and goes after "The Cartel" instead. So L.A. Noire will probably be the only game of it's kind, until they make a sequel.

Finally beat it. Started Wednesday.

Before I get into the spoiler stuff just some final thoughts:
-The second half of the game, from Vice on, is worse to me than the first half. Not that it's bad, it's just not as good to me.
-I hate when open world games have no end game. Now there's nothing for me to do except wait for DLC or just replay the game
-Did anyone notice the dispatch cases are always in the complete opposite direction from your case points?
-I kinda felt that this game didnt do that well in creating the noir aesthetic. BY that I mean it didn't necessarily feel like a noir. Little to no venetian blinds shadows, little to no large silouettes. It did poorly especially compared to other games
1z71xxi.jpg

Now on to the spoilers
I thought it was really lame how all of the suddent Cole cheated on his wife. It came out of nowhere. I guess it was an attempt to make Cole more interesting; which they never really did. In the end, Cole still was not that compelling of a game character

However, and this might seem contradictory, but I didnt like how you played as Kelso for so long. I mean you're playing with Cole, youre part of his story, and next thing you know he's a side character. But then again Kelso was more interesting than Cole, but if they wanted to use him they shouldve made him playable less or at the beginning

The ending...well I guess it was in true noir fashion, but I didnt really like it that much.

It's still a good game, but I like it at the end a little less than I liked it at the beginning. If I could do it over I probably wouldnt have bought this at $60 since there is nothing really left to do. No MP, no endgame. Probably would have waited until it was like $40-45. I'm not mad though.

7.5/10

I think L.A. Noire is probably more Film Noir than Neo Noir. Neo Noir is way more common nowadays. I would consider Max Payne to be Neo Noir.

But, interesting points nontheless.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got the feeling that it was more film noir than neo as well.

Also, does anyone know what Ad Vice originally stood for? I mean i know Vice cases deal with organized crime, but where did Ad Vice come from?

Ad stands for Administrative. After I finished the first Vice case, it used Administrative Vice in the little blurb on the bottom of my evaluation.

As far as the game goes, my feelings toward it are changing the further I get. I'll wait until I finish it first, but I am not as high on it as I was in the beginning.

I think L.A. Noire is probably more Film Noir than Neo Noir. Neo Noir is way more common nowadays. I would consider Max Payne to be Neo Noir.

But, interesting points nontheless.

Well everything after the 1950s is considered neo noir right? At least that's what I was taught.

But still I dont think visually it had alot of film noir things that I like

Ad stands for Administrative. After I finished the first Vice case, it used Administrative Vice in the little blurb on the bottom of my evaluation.

As far as the game goes, my feelings toward it are changing the further I get. I'll wait until I finish it first, but I am not as high on it as I was in the beginning.

Same thing happened to me

Finally beat it. Started Wednesday.

Before I get into the spoiler stuff just some final thoughts:
-The second half of the game, from Vice on, is worse to me than the first half. Not that it's bad, it's just not as good to me.
-I hate when open world games have no end game. Now there's nothing for me to do except wait for DLC or just replay the game
-Did anyone notice the dispatch cases are always in the complete opposite direction from your case points?
-I kinda felt that this game didnt do that well in creating the noir aesthetic. BY that I mean it didn't necessarily feel like a noir. Little to no venetian blinds shadows, little to no large silouettes. It did poorly especially compared to other games

Now on to the spoilers
I thought it was really lame how all of the suddent Cole cheated on his wife. It came out of nowhere. I guess it was an attempt to make Cole more interesting; which they never really did. In the end, Cole still was not that compelling of a game character

However, and this might seem contradictory, but I didnt like how you played as Kelso for so long. I mean you're playing with Cole, youre part of his story, and next thing you know he's a side character. But then again Kelso was more interesting than Cole, but if they wanted to use him they shouldve made him playable less or at the beginning

The ending...well I guess it was in true noir fashion, but I didnt really like it that much.

It's still a good game, but I like it at the end a little less than I liked it at the beginning. If I could do it over I probably wouldnt have bought this at $60 since there is nothing really left to do. No MP, no endgame. Probably would have waited until it was like $40-45. I'm not mad though.

7.5/10

I pretty much agree with all of your assessments. I, like you, felt the game was better at the beginning than what it was at the end. To me, the climax came waaayyy too early. I mean after Homicide, imo, it was all down hill.

But you do know you can go into free roam mode right? To get all the badges/cars/landmarks/film reels/dispatch calls you might have missed? So technically there is stuff for you to do once the game is over.

By the sounds of things they should have kept everything in this game... six disks/two blurays or not...

I don't think it is the amount of content that I am having an issue with, but rather the execution and repetitiveness. Like I said I have a little ways to go, but the end of Homicide felt like it was the end of the game. It peaked pretty high and it just makes Vice seem kind of pedestrian. Maybe I'll feel differently when I finish the game.

I don't think it is the amount of content that I am having an issue with, but rather the execution and repetitiveness. Like I said I have a little ways to go, but the end of Homicide felt like it was the end of the game. It peaked pretty high and it just makes Vice seem kind of pedestrian. Maybe I'll feel differently when I finish the game.

I didnt have any problems with repetition. I mean i love the clue finding/interrogation gameplay. No two characters really act the same. A slight twitch from one person might not mean the same thing with another, so i didnt have any problems there. IMO, homicide was just the best section of the game. The best cases etc. After that, everything was kind of flat. I dont think i would of felt that same way had Vice of come first.

Last edited:
I hope they have loads of DLC when the PSN comes back. I liked the game despite a few flaws, and the cases are much more fun to go through than the free roam. Right now I'm trying to get all the trophies so I've been going around looking for everything and while its still a little fun, but I'd rather be out solving stuff.

Anyone done the Badge Pursuit Challenge? I got my little pouch of negatives, but I haven't really done anything with them yet.

Anyone done the Badge Pursuit Challenge? I got my little pouch of negatives, but I haven't really done anything with them yet.

I found one, but that was by accident. I havent started looking at the little negatives to find them all. Im going to tho.

I hope they have loads of DLC when the PSN comes back. I liked the game despite a few flaws, and the cases are much more fun to go through than the free roam. Right now I'm trying to get all the trophies so I've been going around looking for everything and while its still a little fun, but I'd rather be out solving stuff.

Agreed. I pray they bring the Fraud/Robbery desks as DLC.

I pretty much agree with all of your assessments. I, like you, felt the game was better at the beginning than what it was at the end. To me, the climax came waaayyy too early. I mean after Homicide, imo, it was all down hill.

But you do know you can go into free roam mode right? To get all the badges/cars/landmarks/film reels/dispatch calls you might have missed? So technically there is stuff for you to do once the game is over.

I didnt know there was a free roam mode. Found it :up:

I thought that was kind of cool that they gave you a little pouch of negatives. Makes me feel like a real gumshoe, sitting there trying to figure out what the hell I'm looking at under a lamp. :D

I thought that was kind of cool that they gave you a little pouch of negatives. Makes me feel like a real gumshoe, sitting there trying to figure out what the hell I'm looking at under a lamp. :D

haha.

yea that was a cool touch. Im prob gonna work on some of them tonight once i get back from the gym.

I'm loving the Vice desk actually. It's like The Wire. 'Follow the money, find the drugs'.

Two desks: Burglary and Fraud. Probably the free roam stuff that came with them, too.

Yeah, I'm imagining Sherlock Holmes style 'The case of the missing....'

I assume that when they're released as DLC they'll all be "promotions". However, going from Homicide... to Vice to Burglary and Fraud would seem like demotions.

Then again I've yet to beat it. The game could pull a RDR on me for all I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"