• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Laurence Fishburne IS Perry White in The Man of Steel

I don't see the problem. He's a good actor. Superman's supporting cast is whiter than the Bachelor, it's a product of the time period.

They're ALL products of their time period, which was fair for its day and whatever, but you gotta evolve.

People don't like their cheese moved, but in this case, it's simply wise. So in a situation like this, you can either create a new character or change a character's race. Let's say you do both, so then you have to figure out who to change. It can't be Superman, or Jor-El or the Kents... but who then ? So you start throwing out names. Zoe Saldana as Faora. Antonia Banderas as Zod?

No, no, no. Zoe Saldana as Lois. :cwink:

Nice post, btw.

Remember one Mr.James Earl Jones in an episode of LOIS AND CLARK Mr.Stern? He played a kind of superior to Perry, or I think if my memory serves me right, somebody who Perry asked for help and money to buy a share in the Planet to save it from being bought over by Luthor

Lois-and-Clark-The-New-Adventures-of-Superman-The-House-Of-Luthor-Franklin-W-Stern-0.jpg

Lois-and-Clark-The-New-Adventures-of-Superman-The-House-Of-Luthor-Franklin-W-Stern-1.jpg

Lois-and-Clark-The-New-Adventures-of-Superman-The-House-Of-Luthor-Franklin-W-Stern-2.jpg

Lois-and-Clark-The-New-Adventures-of-Superman-The-House-Of-Luthor-Franklin-W-Stern-3.jpg

Lois-and-Clark-The-New-Adventures-of-Superman-The-House-Of-Luthor-Franklin-W-Stern-4.jpg

At the time, when I watched it, I really thought ... wow JE Jones could really be the black equivalent of Perry, ... a sort of father figure with a "stern" attitude to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" ... and I kind of warmed to the idea when I first saw the episode.

I don't see why some people are choosing to moan about this. I think it's a wonderful idea.

As someone from an ethnic minority, I must say I wouldn't want a black Superman, as the image of what superman looks like to me and many people has kind of been engraved for 70 odd years. But making the supporting cast a bit more cultured would go a long way to show that they really ARE modernising the saga. :up:

<V>

I think that the only characters that can't be another race are Superman, Jor-el and Lara (obviously) and the Kents. Even for Lex and Lois it wouldn't matter to me.

I really don't care, as long as the actor fits the character.

I only have an issue with it, if the ethnicity of the character is an important part of their backstory.

I don't see why anybody should defend the choice of Fishburne being cast as Perry. Harvey Dent was black in B89, did it matter?

I know Perry's white (no pun intended) in the comics, but things are typically done different in movies, we've all seen it before. Joker with makeup and not bleached, it was still him. Perry being black rather than white, its still going to be him, no matter what changes are done.

This cast so far has done nothing but inspire hope that people know what they're doing. I bet a Fishburne finally nails the character of Perry, that I have never seen done in live action before, just in comics and cartoons...

Why not have James Earl Jones as Perry? I think Fishburne seems a bit bland, especially after CSI. At least James Earl Jones could bring a certain eccentricity that Lane Smith had. Fishburne seems like he could be like Frank Langella, who wasn't all that outstanding in the part.

CSI was a crappy show before Fishburne signed on and after I assume. James Earl Jones is far too old.

If anything, Fishburne makes the craptastic CSI better.

Darth Vader running a newspaper? Gives a whole new meaning to deadlines...

Besides they had a hapa (half Asian/half Dutch) cutie play Lana Lang in Smallville. Nobody complained that she wasn't a redhead with an Irish background.

Besides they had a hapa (half Asian/half Dutch) cutie play Lana Lang in Smallville. Nobody complained that she wasn't a redhead with an Irish background.

Yeah, just that she was a terrible actress, and that they completely changed the character.

I did't think she's that bad though I can't see we career taking off unless she moves outta Canada.

I did't think she's that bad though I can't see we career taking off unless she moves outta Canada.

Well that didn't help, but they did completely change the character's relation to Clark, for no apparent reason. So she's really nothing like Lana Lang. Ethnicity wasn't an issue.

Lana was an annoying character and the mostly bland actress didn't help matters.

I'm a fairly jokey person but I'm not jokey about the race thing is this climent. Sorry.

I'm not black like Perry White, no I am white like Frank Black is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"