Justice League Let's Talk Costumes?

cleverusername8

Sidekick
Reaction score
This is actually kind of a thing... I mean as much as I like the classic comic book/cartoon Wonder Woman costume, I highly doubt that'll translate well into live action (as we sort of saw with that almost TV show).

As a matter of fact, all of the costumes will need a bit of re-imagining to trim some cheesiness. I don't mean to sound harsh or be heretical, I just think that the costumes will be important especially for audience reception.

For Superman, assuming that Man of Steel will be separate from this, the classic costume might actually be alright. The underpants may need to turn into sort of briefs or maybe become armored rather than clothy (if that's a word...) but other than that it's fine. He and Batman need to look close to their iconic selves if no one else does.

Speaking of Batman, while the all black was kinda cool in the Dark Knight trilogy, I'd personally like to see a return to the gray colored body with black cowl, cape and boots. A dark gray for sure, but a little bit of color diversity wouldn't kill the Bat :funny: Also I may be along in this, but I think it'd be cool to see Batman have lenses in this movie universe (the white coverings over his eyes). Even if they are technological, it'd be nice to see them and help out with his hiding of his identity.

Back to Wonder Woman, I think costume function should be more of a focus than eye candy in the movie since her character is known to be strong and actually play a role in stories. Not hating on Widow, but her role suits her being just a pretty face... and body but if WW is to be taken seriously, she has to be seen as a good character rather than just, you know.
So enough of the spiel, her costume should cover a good deal without being body armor. She can keep the red, white, and blue color scheme but something along the lines of the New 52 color palette would be best in my opinion. It'd be good if she keeps the tiara the same as it typically is so that her iconic element stays intact.

Green Lantern is tricky because I kind of like how the costume was in the 2011 movie whereas most other people seem not to. So maybe for him they could go for a more practical costume rather than 100% CGI. More black could be incorporated in than the movie but still green has to be the overwhelming majority of the costume. For obvious reasons. I'd stay away from gloves, but if they must be part of things, they should be either a really dark green or dark gray but not white. That's treading a little far into the cartoon zone.

Flash will be red and yellow as usual but more of a crimson color I think. The yellow could be on the gold side and work. I'm ambivalent on wingtips at this point but I'm leaning towards either having them be part of the pattern ala Avengers Captain America or to point straight backwards and be really close to his head. The lightening bolt should be by itself without the white circle around it if it's there at all. I personally think they should try their hardest to incorporate the lightening bolt somehow since it is a big part of his character and sort of his trademark in all of this.
To be honest, Flash is the one I'm most worried about costume wise because I feel like the GA will already underestimate him/write him off thinking that he only runs fast as his power (this can be easily reversed once they see him in the story/in a fight but still). The less cartoony, the better with him I feel.

Martian Manhunter, if in this movie, should not be bare-chested. I like the idea that the MM in JL:Doom and Crisis on Two Earths had but maybe a little bit less clothe-like than that. I don't really want armor either but somewhere between the two. They should be form fitting with maybe a shawl (not a shawl but a cape that wraps around his body from the back) and the sort of "collar" would be good too. His character design itself should be more alien than human I feel but not the weird shaped head like in JL:Doom. I didn't really like that so much. They could shape the head better than that >_<

Lastly, Aquaman should be armored. To the teeth. It would help immensely with his image if done right and give him a more kingly feel (the king going into battle sort of image). I'd be down with a hook for a hand thing if, again, done right. However, I think he should have short hair and a medium sized beart rather than short beard with long hair. Save that for Green Arrow in a possible sequel :oldrazz:

So that sums things up for the original 7. I REALLY don't want to see Cyborg come anywhere near Justice League movies but if he has to be in this, something close to the New 52 would do I suppose, but it should not be so jagged. Smooth out some of those edges and get some blue/purple in that armor. Straight silver with a little red makes him look more evil to me.

What do you guys think about these ideas? Feel free to pitch your own, this is a forum after all lol

For Superman, MOS.
man-of-steel-costumes-wide.jpg

For Batman, New 52 made with the Captain America materials.
costume02.jpg

For Wonder Woman, classic all the way.
wonder-woman-dc-online-2560x1600.jpg

For Hal, easily the New 52 costume.
green-lantern_lead.jpg

Same for Barry.
2009347-flash.jpg

Aquaman as well.
aquaman1new52.jpg

For J'onn, Justice League Doom.
Martian_Manhunter_JLD.jpg

Actually, after physically looking at the JL Doom Martian Manhunter, I think that costume will do just fine.

I agree that the new 52 costumes for GL, Flash, Aquaman would get the job done, but they'd definitely need some improving.

I cannot, however, reconvile WW wearing the skimpy and over-the-top designed costume you show there. If they got rid of the stars on the abdomen, coveredup just a little more cleavage and gave her something reminiscent of pants, we'd be heading in the right direction.

For Superman, classic, iconic with a darker shade of blue and red than the Christopher Reeve version.
60255153565230397410148.jpg

For Batman, classic black and dark gray cloth rather than all rubber.
img0010ip.jpg

This is actually kind of a thing... I mean as much as I like the classic comic book/cartoon Wonder Woman costume, I highly doubt that'll translate well into live action (as we sort of saw with that almost TV show).

That failed David E. Kelley Wonder Woman TV show wasn't translating the classic, iconic Wonder Woman costume. The successful Lynda Carter TV show proved that the classic, iconic Wonder Woman costume does translate just fine to live-action.
cbstv6.jpg

Instead of just reusing Lynda Carter's outfit, this subtly updated version retains the classic, iconic look.
img0011rbf.jpg

Green Lantern's costume needn't be an expensive CGI suit. A real, cloth costume is much more practical and a big relief on the budget.
img0017rw.jpg

For the Flash, classic, iconic.
img0018dm.jpg

Same for Aquaman.
img0016wa.jpg

Same for the Manhunter from Mars.
img0021ie.jpg

Same for Hawkman and the Atom.
img0019ow.jpg

Same for Green Arrow.
img0003htm.jpg

As a matter of fact, all of the costumes will need a bit of re-imagining to trim some cheesiness.

There is an inherent cheesiness to all superhero costumes. They either look cool or ridiculous to a person, generally depending if they are a superhero fan or not. A JLA director needs to be a fan and believe that they are cool, rather than try to make them "cool" and put them all in body armor or all in black costumes and give them all snarky, obnoxious or angsty attitudes in desperate attempts to make them cool, without realizing that they were cool as they were already. I want the classic, iconic characters brought to life faithfully, with their classic, iconic heroic characterizations and in their classic, iconic costumes that are known, recognized and loved by generations. These characters are legendary. The general public disliked the altered costume in Singer's Superman Returns. The overwhelmingly negative reaction from the public to the rebooted costume Jim Lee made of Wonder Woman in the comics and the negative influence of that on the failed David E. Kelley Wonder Woman TV show should have told DC that the majority of people don't want drastically altered costumes. Half of the Justice League characters appeal for general audiences, many of whom don't read comic books anymore, is nostalgia.

I cannot, however, reconvile WW wearing the skimpy and over-the-top designed costume you show there. If they got rid of the stars on the abdomen, coveredup just a little more cleavage and gave her something reminiscent of pants, we'd be heading in the right direction.

The failed David E. Kelley Wonder Woman TV show attempted to cover up Wonder Woman with pants, and there was an overwhelmingly negative reaction from the public. The majority of people don't want the iconic costumes altered to that extent. These characters are over-the-top, flashy, not subtle. Titillating cheesecake with Wonder Woman's bare legs and cleavage and beefcake with Hawkman and Martian Manhunter's bare chests actually helps attract male and female audiences.

Last edited:
I think something similar to xena would work for wonder woman, but you know, more red and blue. Battle skirt is much better in my opinion.

xena.jpg

6a00d8341c4fe353ef0147e282e404970b-800wi

Wonder Woman does have red, yellow and blue battle armor in the comics with battle skirt, battle axe and shield.
img0001ipo.jpg

And all yellow battle armor with battle skirt, magic sword and shield.
wonderwoman173coverbyad.jpg

They don't permanently replace her iconic outfit and magic lasso, they are battle armor and extra weapons that she uses on occasions when needed.
img0003wa.jpg

Last edited:
Superman- by Nebezial, small edits by myself

Q0DCc.jpg

Batman- by Nebezial, small edits by myself

KydMT.jpg

Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern- Nebezial

martian_manhunter___i_just_love_that_name_by_nebezial-d5b6bbz.jpg

omg_he_is_soooo_metal__by_nebezial-d59qtqe.jpg

holy_saturation_batman__by_nebezial-d59vop5.jpg

green_lamp___or_whatever_by_nebezial-d5aslld.jpg

Aquaman- unknown

tumblr_m8ot54Ptfz1qg8i80o1_500.jpg

Flash- Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

flash_wrender.jpg

Personally, I think they need to decide on J'onn being either mostly in black, or mostly in blue. Both of them should have red elements, or the "X" design. Either give him black body armor with a black cloak, or blue body armor with a blue cloak. I don't think that the blue cloak over black armor looks good at all.

I think I can live with a battle skirt for Wondy but I'm just worried that people going to see the movie won't really respect WW as a character but rather see her as a "hot bod". Even now, people suggest actresses to play her based on their bust. Some of them are really crappy as actresses too :/ And half of them don't even resemble the character.

As far as J'onn goes, I think the costume should have a black base but blue highlights and cape. The red X is pretty much his trademark so they should definitely find a way to get that into the design somehow. However, he probably will only be in costume for talking scenes. For fight scenes he'll probably be in a full on alien form of some kind. So it won't be that big of a deal then.

Id like Superman's suit to be a little different than MOS, but the same basic idea. Just an update, I dont like the silver stuff above his belt and on his legs

Batman- something along the lines of Arkham City costume less bulky though and a different logo. the middle suit looks awesome to me
Batman.jpg

Green Lanterns costume should be made of cloth like the Fantastic Four costumes

Flash's costume should be made of a smiliar material to SpiderMan in the Amazing Spider Man

Wonder Woman needs the battleskirt for sure, I really loved JMC's design

Aquaman
2035363-aquaman_almost_was.jpg

This costume with smaller glovse

Martian Manhunter

A_Martian_Manhunter_Redesign_by_dio_03.jpg

643972_4330348868598_774541989_n.jpg

My Aquaman. King of Atlantis. It doesn't quite look like Norman Reedus, but he's the one who I want to play the character. I just quickly drew up the costume that I would want to see

Obviously I'm pro-shirtless (with added tribal-esque, Atlantean tatoos on his body) and the enchanted hand

For Superman, classic, iconic with a darker shade of blue and red than the Christopher Reeve version.

For Batman, classic black and dark gray cloth rather than all rubber.
img0010ip.jpg

That failed David E. Kelley Wonder Woman TV show wasn't translating the classic, iconic Wonder Woman costume. The successful Lynda Carter TV show proved that the classic, iconic Wonder Woman costume does translate just fine to live-action.
cbstv6.jpg

Instead of just reusing Lynda Carter's outfit, this subtly updated version retains the classic, iconic look.
img0011rbf.jpg

Green Lantern's costume needn't be an expensive CGI suit. A real, cloth costume is much more practical and a big relief on the budget.
img0017rw.jpg

For the Flash, classic, iconic.
img0018dm.jpg

Same for Aquaman.
img0016wa.jpg

Same for the Manhunter from Mars.
img0021ie.jpg

Same for Hawkman and the Atom.
img0019ow.jpg

Same for Green Arrow.
img0003htm.jpg

I love Alex Ross, but directly adapting those costumes with cloth would look so cheap and crappy. 0% chance of happening. Plus NO ONE is built like that. You'd need to cast all bodybuilders to fill out those cloth nightmares (an idea which some ppl around here actually seem to like)>

Superman-MOS or Earth One

Batman-New 52 or Batman Inc.

Wonder Woman-New 52

The Flash-New 52

Green Lantern (Hal)-New 52

Martian M.-JL: Doom

Green Arrow-New 52

Aquaman shouldn't be shirtless all the time. Maybe one or two scenes but in battle most certainly not. I am a fan of what Changeling suggested however. Same goes for that middle Batman suit but it needs a cape. Superman and Batman are required for capes I don't care what any costume designer thinks.

I like the material that the Man of Steel Superman suit is made out of for Green Lantern. I think that would suit him well. We have to keep in mind that while cloth would be ideal as opposed to CGI, it has to look alien at the same time (or at least not like it's made out of cotton lol). The Man of Steel material looks sturdy and functional without looking clothy.

I love Alex Ross, but directly adapting those costumes with cloth would look so cheap and crappy. 0% chance of happening.

Putting them in rubber muscle body suits attempting to look like body armor would be so cheap, crappy and ridiculous bastardizations of the iconic costumes. The two major Superman icons, George Reeves and Christopher Reeve, and Wonder Woman icon Lynda Carter all wore comic book accurate cloth costumes (George Reeves' Superman costume was made of wool cloth, his belt was fabric with a brass belt buckle and his boots were suede, his cape was wool cloth. Christopher Reeve's costume was made of elastic leotard cloth, his built was leather, his boots were made of leather, his cape was made of wool cloth. Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman costume were made of satin cloth, the eagle on the buster is gold leather, her boots are suede, belt and tiara are gold leather, the bracelets are brass). It replicated the iconic looks from the comics wonderfully and they are revered by most as the two greatest representations of Superman in live-action and the one and only definitive Wonder Woman in live-action. Iconically comic book accurate like the iconic comics brought to life, which is what I want from superhero costumes. Alex Ross' paintings are amazingly photo-real, as close to real people in real costumes as you can get that isn't actual photographs. He uses real people in real comic accurate costumes as his models and takes photographs of them which he paints from with amazing accuracy. You can even see some photos of the real people in costumes in the corner of my Hawkman and Adam scan.

Plus NO ONE is built like that. You'd need to cast all bodybuilders to fill out those cloth nightmares (an idea which some ppl around here actually seem to like)>

That cynicism is flat out wrong. There are real life actors that are built like that. The Superman picture I posted is of an actor named Joe Manganiello and he is really built like that. Ryan Reynolds is as muscular as Green Lantern is in Alex Ross' painting. The bodies in Alex Ross' paintings are not grossly exaggerated from real anatomy, nor do they all look like huge bulky body builders with huge bulging biceps.

The bodies in Alex Ross' paintings are not grossly exaggerated from real anatomy, nor do they all look like huge bulky body builders with huge bulging biceps.

No, but they do all have enormous, almost identical codpieces/crotches. Even the women.

I always thought Alex Ross' heroes looked chubby and old, which made them less superheroish. Idk, I think going the Ross route would be an epic fail for reasons sun&#8211;down gave. Reeves and carter were more than thirty years ago, nobody would buy those costumes anymore, they'd be ridiculed like crazy, especially after the glossy cool avenger costumes.

No, but they do all have enormous, almost identical codpieces/crotches. Even the women.

:funny: What an odd comment. These are enormous codpieces/crotches.
1129134833a18b9a189.jpg

However, these are not enormous codpieces/crotches. Especially not the woman.
img0011ui.jpg

img0017gjs.jpg

img0018rl.jpg

img0019rb.jpg

img0021rf.jpg

I always thought Alex Ross' heroes looked chubby and old, which made them less superheroish. Idk, I think going the Ross route would be an epic fail for reasons sun&#8211;down gave. Reeves and carter were more than thirty years ago, nobody would buy those costumes anymore, they'd be ridiculed like crazy, especially after the glossy cool avenger costumes.

Disagree on all accounts. What you see as chubby and old, I see as muscular, mature and distinguished. One of the biggest complains with Singer's Superman Returns, Snyder's Man of Steel and the failed David E. Kelley Wonder Woman TV show from general audiences is the extent of the changes they made to the iconic costumes of Superman and Wonder Woman. Half of the classic Justice League characters appeal for general audiences, many of whom don't read comic books anymore, is nostalgia. Also, on the Avengers the costumes are actually pretty faithful to the iconic looks of the characters for the most part, especially the looks of the most widely known members to general audiences: the Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor.
7752btheavengers2012.jpg

Last edited:
They are similar, but they are very far from pitch perfect adaptations, which is what Alex Ross designs would be. I accept there needs to be a fair amount of change from page to screen.

Disagree on all accounts. What you see as chubby and old, I see as muscular, mature and distinguished. One of the biggest complains with Singer's Superman Returns, Snyder's Man of Steel and the failed David E. Kelley Wonder Woman TV show from general audiences is the extent of the changes they made to the iconic costumes of Superman and Wonder Woman. Half of the classic Justice League characters appeal for general audiences, many of whom don't read comic books anymore, is nostalgia. Also, on the Avengers the costumes are actually pretty faithful to the iconic looks of the characters for the most part, especially the looks of the most widely known members to general audiences: the Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor.
7752btheavengers2012.jpg

The Dark Knight was the most successful solo hero movie of all time and Batman wasn't exactly jumping the rooftops in spandex now was he?

The Dark Knight was the most successful solo hero movie of all time and Batman wasn't exactly jumping the rooftops in spandex now was he?

I doubt that the rubber muscle suit is what made Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight so successful. Warner Brothers is now making the Man of Steel movie and the Arrow TV show into attempts to mimic Christopher Nolan's Batman films. I remember after Tim Burton's first Batman film was so successful in 1989 Warner had The Flash TV show made in 1990 that attempted to mimic Tim Burton's Batman film. That wasn't successful for the Flash. Every character is different, and their films and TV series should reflect that, rather than to attempt to mimic Tim Burton's Batman or Christopher Nolan's Batman just because they were successful for Batman.

They are similar, but they are very far from pitch perfect adaptations, which is what Alex Ross designs would be. I accept there needs to be a fair amount of change from page to screen.

I disagree with the notion that changes to the extent Warner Brothers has made are necessary for the classic DC characters to be liked and accepted by general audiences or that such changes are generally well liked and accepted by general audiences. The Danny Bilson Flash TV series failed in the ratings. The David E. Kelley Wonder Woman failed to even get picked up by a TV network. Marc Guggenheim's Arrow pilot episode debuted to strong ratings by curious viewers on Wednesday, but we shall see how the show does regularly, and Zack Snyder's Man of Steel hasn't been released yet.
supermanmanofsteelsetph.jpg
66423556.jpg

stupidjwsflash.jpg
arrowcostume.jpg

And I disagree with the notion that costumes retaining the classic, iconic looks wouldn't be liked and accepted by general audiences today.
img0011fj.jpg

1123456789nbghj.jpg
img0022jgnm.jpg

I really doubt the audience cares that much about costume changes though. Otherwise, no Batman film since the Adam West one would have been successful. In fact, pretty much every costume change on film has been accepted, most recently Spider-Man.

Green Arrow's suit in Arrow looks like a modernised version of the Longbow Hunters suit, so I don't see the problem anyway.

As for Superman, I really don't think they've changed the suit that much. All they've done in taken away the underoos and added a piping. That is a much smaller change than Captain America's, for example.

Also, David E Kelly's Wonder Woman also featured the classic costume, yet it still failed:

classicWWcostume.jpg

The general audience complained about changes to costumes? Sure you are not talking about the fanboys?

And of course some of the costumes has to be adapted both for a live-action and modern context, also for other context factors like the story and the style.

That's why it's so hard for me personally to say exactly how I want the costumes to look, before I know what kind of movie it's gonna be.

I do know though that I didn't like the CGI Green Lantern suit, like at all. And it had nothing to do with how far it was to the comic-books. Same with the fact that I like Christopher Reeve's Superman. It's not because the costume looked exactly like in the comics, but because it worked great, in it's context.

Comic-book conservatism is overrated.

I quickly drew up a couple of more following my Aquaman concept. And yes, the other arm is left out because I was too lazy, but you can see the general idea

400841_4335119627864_314627030_n.jpg

Martian_Manhunter_JLD.jpg

Doom/Modern MM look/Collar not popped/Majestic and classy, yet intimidating

3035_4335118787843_1284786599_n.jpg

cost_jan42.gif

Classic Wonder Woman, but with the battle skirt. I'm not sure about including the stars though

189331_4335117667815_337142049_n.jpg
1685134-green_lantern_hal_jordan.jpg

Combination of the appearance from the Ryan Reynold's suit in the film and the classic Hal Jordan costume. I also prefer a black domino mask instead of the green one. Don't mind the ring btw lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"