Green Lantern's Movie Costume

BROOD5050

Civilian
Reaction score

If a GL movie ever made it beyond the "Why don't we make a Green Lantern movie!" phase, how would you like to see his costume handled on the big screen? I think they should go with the current GL comic book design. The logo should be in 3D kind of like the current “Superman Returns” design and not ridiculously large like some kind of billboard. The green part of the uniform should be the same material used in both “Spiderman and Fantastic Four” with patterns designed into the material sort of like the costume that Billy Zane wore in the very forgettable movie “The Phantom”. The black part of the costume should be very thin leather something similar to the Kyle Ranor design before he became “Ion”. The part where the green and black meet on the shoulders should be very prominent just like the comics. The boots should be like the current “Fantastic Four” movie design. This gives the costume a certain swash buckling appeal. Make the white part of the costume metallic just like the Silver Surfer and the mask should be done in the classic comic design.

I think that the costume should have a bring to mind several things, the suit should be spacey and futuristic feeling. Not to say that it should look like the stereotypical future space suits. But it should give a feeling of futuristic and spacey. Maybe be sort of shiny or glimmery and form fitting like the spider-man suit, and not made of rubber or leather. It should look like an alien fabric, or an unearthly (because he made it with his ring and imagination) fabric. Maybe it can be some what reflective, not really reflective or like plastic looking, more like very subtle reflecting. Almost not at all. It should also give off a cop or law enforcment feel, because thats what Green Lantern is, a space cop.
Just stick to the comic book design, but make it like Spier-man's from the movie.
untitled-1.jpg
1.jpg

I think they should go the Spider-Man rout, keep it like the comicsa design (Hal Jordan design) but add details and stuff to make it work in real life. I like the idea of little patterns, sort of like Spider-Man's suit (when you get in close you can see cell looking designs or squars)
untitled-2.jpg

or Superman Returns. Maybe they could subtelly put in Green Lantern symbols as a pattern in his suit (so subtle that you can't really notice them.)
As for his symbol I think it should be almost the same as the comic only like Superman or Spider-Man a little 3D, only toned down more than Superman's.
untitled4.jpg
spider-man1.jpg

His gloves and his boots should be almost inseperable looking, like they are all connected, like Spider-Man's suit. Seemless, like in the comics. No rinckels or material hanging off. I do like the metallic looking parts too. Plus, this uniform is created by the ring and Hal's imagination. So it would be like Spider-Man's (fit like a glove with no seems and no rinkles). And have lots and intracet designs and stuff to make it look spacey and something that came from someone's mind. I guess I wouldn't really add or take anything away either, keep it as close to the comic as possible.
His ring should look like the comic version only sort of glowy. Like it radiates energy, especially during use.
Out of his GL uniform, because its a cop uniform for the space cops the Green Lanterns, Hal wears a pilots bomber jacket, plad print shirt (maybe with hints of green and black, and silver, jeans and boots.

Just DO NOT make is costume look rubbery, or have artificial looking muscles, or anything like these costumes:
BAD.jpg

BAD2.jpg

i agree with you that they should try to adapt the comic book version but work it to look best for the movies.

personally, i'm a little iffy with the white gloves. the GLs actually look best with the either the green or black gloves.

maybe something like this:
greenlantern.jpg

I am not totally sure about the white gloves either, but if they could adapt the costume without changing anything in its design, only amping it up for the movie like Spider-Man, then that would be totally awesome.
The white gloves might, not sure though, but they might add to the effect that his hands are glowing with pure energy from his ring. or something.

I think the green gloves would overshadow or hinder the ring, the ring needs to stand out from a distance. It should be a major focal point of the film. But I do think the green wrist band things would work great.
That would work, the black gloves would also really show the ring and not look goofy either. they would probably be best.

They have to have the lantern look like this though:
RossGLJusticeHal.jpg

and his ring should look something like this:
6070_400x600.jpg

both the ring and the lantern should look like they are made of the same material. all green like it was carved or cut from a green emerald or crystal type material. Maybe not as see through as a crystal though.

What about his mask? I could see it being sort of rubbery looking, but changing costantly with his expressions like it was part of his face. Maybe it could also look like an alien fabric, a thicker material similar to his uniform but still change like its part of his face.

why oh why was there nipples on the robin and batman suit, but not the batgirl suit?

I agree with most of you about the comic book look and the white gloves. I think the John Stewart's suit (from the cartoon) is great. With the Black gloves!! (unlike the comic book ; he appear without gloves) . Or the pattern of the actual Hal Jordan's look.
The Wizard ultimate GL suit suits me fine. As for the texture, no B&R kind of suit! Nor Alex ross. The Spiderman suit is the reference! :up:

Don't forget to have the GL symbol glow and hover when he powers up, like it started doing in Rebirth.

I agree that they should go the Spidey route and just thicken the material and add some texture to the classic loo,.

My idea is to have the costume more like stewart's but just have the green across the shoulders and black across the chest and then cg a glowing green lantern symbol that hovers about an inch from his chest. It just floats there, moves with him. I think that would look sweet! I sort of had the idea that the mask could also be a cg "light" mask, look better than the physical type mask worn by Robin in the pics above.

I guess I would have to agree with you all about the white gloves. I never did understand why they were designed in that color scheme. It looks ok on paper but I think it would look odd on the movie screen. I suggested making it metallic looking like the Silver Surfer because that would probably look better cinematically if they insisted on going with the original look of the character. They can also make the gloves green and use the white gloves as part of their dress uniform for the honor guard or attending the funeral of a fallen Green Lantern member. This way they can pay homage to the original comic book look of the costume.

I like the idea of a black suit that shimmers as if filled with stars (reflecting the Lantern's outer space element). The emblem should be green and glowing, and he should have a green aura (You won't need a whole lot of green with the aura to offset things) and a green mask, and I think that would be enough. I don't think you need green gloves, boots, etc, as I believe the suit should look almost symbiotic.

Hal, Kyle, and Jon all had different variations, but all could be used for a movie.

i agree with you that they should try to adapt the comic book version but work it to look best for the movies.

personally, i'm a little iffy with the white gloves. the GLs actually look best with the either the green or black gloves.

maybe something like this:
greenlantern.jpg

Really digging this one.

i like the white gloves, they show off the ring.

as for the rest of the costume, go traditional.

I always hated the white gloves, didn't match. I like the green gauntlets with black hands.

i like the white gloves, they show off the ring.
true, but black can do the same thing, emphasizing the ring. of course it all depends on how they design the costume and the ring, see if they could design a light colored glove that goes aesthetically well with the rest of the costume while emphasizing the power ring at the same time.

Looking at it objectively, the white gloves have to go. I'm used to them, but dude... no thank you.

Black Gloves with Green Bracers could work though, even for Hal. I think getting the black 'right' also plays a big part in making it 'work.'

Well then how about something like this.

greenlanternmoviecostume.jpg

The mask needs some work, but this would make a cool movie costume.

People should use this pic as a template to try other characters costume manips.

That'd be interesting...................

I say go with the sleek, elegant and slightly-retro Gil Kane design. It's one of the best superhero costumes ever.

dcjlaglst.jpg

What about this for an idea? In the X-Men movies they all have basicly the same costume and they do in Smallville's Justice League too. Why not so a JLA movie with out the Big Three, and have the whole league wear something like this. I mean after all the origial JLA was only Green Lantern, Flash, Black Canary, Aquaman and Martain Manhunter after all. So it could work for a Live Action Movie.

the Big Three has to be there because the regular movie goer associates them with the Justice League. to them its not the Justice League without Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, even if us comic book fans knows better. and besides from a marketing standpoint, it would be easier to sell the movie with the DC's most recognizable heroes around.

as for X-Men type uniforms-- no, just no.

I am not saying X-Men type so much as costumes that have team feel too them. Besides I am toying with the idea of a maskless Flash. It works for Wolverine it could for him too. Besides Jay Garrick didn't wear one.

As for the Big Three being on the team a story line idea I have for it is. The Justice League already formed at the begining of the movie with GL, MM, Flash, BC and Aquaman. A worldwide threat comes that they can't stop (Darkside) and they go to SM, BM and WW for help. It could be about how the Big Three join.

But their uniforms SHOULDNT have a team feel to them. The Justice League isn't about a group of people getting powers and becoming a super-team, it's about a group of people who are already established superheroes working together. They dont leave their old lives behind. Green Lantern is still primarily a member of the Green Lantern Corps, just as Aquaman is primarily the ruler of Atlantis. He's not going to ditch his traditional Atlantean outfit to fit into some team uniform.

It's honestly a terrible idea. The Justice League should not have uniforms in any way comparable to those of the X-Men or those chumps from Smallville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"