Little Women’

You can't beat that cast, but how many freakin' adaptations of Little Women do we need?

Does it matter? I’ve lost count how many times Austen or Bronte novels are adapted.

This is an actually interesting case study in this for me. All of the girls in the film are related, and they're all part of an (at least once, albeit long ago) wealthy family in New England living in an intellectual conclave during the American Civil War.... they're going to be white.

Now given the film is focusing on them apparently as adults (and as I recall Jo winds up living in New York City), there is an opportunity to diversify the cast in that area. But should we insist on diversity in casting a family of characters who historically would all be white?

This is a modern day adaptation.

The recent (Christmas 2017) BBC adaptation was solid. I'd rather an original time setting but I can see the merit in a contemporary one.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/little-women-greta-gerwig-eliza-scanlen-1202883242/

After earning strong reviews for her role as Amy Adams’ half-sister Camille in HBO’s “Sharp Objects,” Eliza Scanlen looks to have found her next big role. The actress is in talks to join Greta Gerwig’s star-studded remake of “Little Women.” Scanlen tested alongside Emma Stone prior to the Fourth of July holiday and beat out a number of individuals for the role (believed to be Beth March).

https://deadline.com/2018/08/sony-little-women-greta-gerwig-james-norton-1202438845/

English actor James Norton, last seen on the big screen in Sony’s Flatliners remake, is in talks to reunite with the Culver City-based studio for Little Women, the Greta Gerwig-helmed film adaptation of Louisa May Alcott’s beloved classic. If cast, he could potentially join Meryl Streep, Emma Stone, Timothee Chalamet, Saoirse Ronan, Eliza Scanlen, and Florence Pugh, all of whom are also in talks to board the picture.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/laura-dern-talks-join-meryl-streep-little-women-1132076?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Greta Gerwig has lined up more A-list talent for her Little Women.

Laura Dern is in talks to join Meryl Streep in Sony's adaptation of the Louisa May Alcott classic. The movie will reunite Gerwig with her Lady Bird actors Saoirse Ronan and Timothee Chalamet, who are also in talks to star in the Columbia Pictures project, along with Emma Stone, Florence Pugh and James Norton.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/emma-watson-emma-stone-little-women-1202911028/

Emma Watson is set to join Greta Gerwig’s star-studded remake of “Little Women.”

Sources say Watson is playing the part originally intended for Stone, who was unable to join the project because of promotional obligations for the Fox Searchlight film and award season contender “The Favourite.” With production expected to start next month, Sony moved quickly to approach Watson.

I posted it in the wrong thread. :lmao:

I am very happy about this. Two of my favorites. First film Watson has shot in like 3 years.

Emma Watson is a huuuge downgrade from Emma Stone.

I like Watson as an actress, so this is great news. It's interesting that the roles aren't set yet.

The fact that Watson was originally set to star in LA LA Land, and was replaced by Stone, which earned her first oscar win. Now this. Very interesting indeed.

Louis Garrel Cast In ‘Little Women’ Movie At Sony

French actor Louis Garrel, wrote, directed and stars in the A Faithful Man, which will screen at the Toronto Film Festival, has joined Sony’s Little Womenremake, which Greta Gerwig will direct from a screenplay she’s writing. Based on the classic novel by Louisa May Alcott, Little Women follows sisters Amy, Jo, Beth and Meg and their mother in Civil War-era Massachusetts as they navigate growing up, first loves and Christmas without their father.

‘Better Call Saul’s Bob Odenkirk Joins Greta Gerwig’s ‘Little Women’ Remake

Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated Better Call Saul star Bob Odenkirk is set for Sony Pictures Little Women, the remake which is being written and directed by Greta Gerwig. The previously announced cast includes Meryl Streep, Timothee Chalamet, Saoirse Ronan, Laura Dern, Emma Watson, Florence Pugh, Eliza Scanlon, James Norton, and Louis Garrel.

4861130-0-image-a-51_1539013561781.jpg
4861126-0-image-m-50_1539013558308.jpg

And here I thought this was going to be a modern retelling of the book.

Wasn't this a modern adaptation or is that a different version altogether?

Yeah the period looking costume is confusing me.

I really like this cast so I'll likely see this, but I really wish Stone was still in it rather than Watson. I only ever liked Watson in The Perks of Being a Wallflower (barely watched any of the Potter movies).

Wow, this looks like it could be pretty good. I love Watson's acting, and Ronan is incredible.

The 1994 Gillian Armstrong adaptation is the definitive Little Women for me. The cast cannot be beaten and are all perfect in my eyes, especially Thomas Newman's classic and timeless music. I also like the Elizabeth Taylor adaptation to a lesser degree.

I don't like Emma Watson's acting, but since she's playing the slightly stuck up, goodie goodie Meg she'll do okay since that role fits her stuck up, pole up her backside "acting" style. Also Saiorse's acting is going to embarrass Emma's.

I'm against this, since the 1994 is timeless and holds up, but I do understand that this current generation needs their own adaptation with their own young actors plus Greta and co. needs their Oscar baits. I like Saoirse and Timothee so I'll check this one out once it's on free-to-air TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"