Live Action Scooby Doo Series in the works | Netflix

Reminds me of that Mystery Incorporated teen drama pilot on YouTube.

"Drama project"

giphy.gif

What took them so long to figure this out? All I can say is - FINALLY!!!

I've been waiting years for them to finally figure out that this was the next step to make.

Hopefully they do it justice. Make it episodic, don't make it too dark just to be hip and edgy. Depending on how it's done, this can be a great step forward. The live action films showed that it can be done.

God they’re gonna ruin all of our childhoods by making this a Greg Berlanti Riverdale special.

If they have Scooby hooking up with anybody, I’m calling the cops.

God they’re gonna ruin all of our childhoods by making this a Greg Berlanti Riverdale special.

I mean, it's obviously going to be Scooby and Lila. Isn't that common sense? :eyeroll:

On a serious note: if it's done right, this is my childhood come to life - I've been waiting for this since 2002 when I first learned that live action Scooby Doo could be a thing.

Adding: Matthew Lillard has to have a role in this! Even if it's just a walk-on as a villain or something (a la 'Five Nights At Freddy'). He loves the franchise, so I figure he'd probably be interested in having a role here. Maybe even Shaggy's dad or something.

Everyone here acting like adding in Riverdale elements isn't a wonderful thing.

Let the poly-quad rule.

Everyone here acting like adding in Riverdale elements isn't a wonderful thing.

Let the poly-quad rule.

See that stuff was cute for Riverdale, because I didn’t have any emotional attachments to those characters.

But using that formula with Mystery Inc?

IMG_0059.gif

See that stuff was cute for Riverdale, because I didn’t have any emotional attachments to those characters.

But using that formula with Mystery Inc?

View attachment 88962

I don't see him doing this like Riverdale at all. The source material goes back to around the same time period, but they are radically different IP. Archie has always been about relationships at its core; I'd (this will offend many) go as far as calling it a "chick comic" since it (to my knowledge) has always emphasized dating life.

Rather 'Dead Boy Detectives' (that he recently did) which critics have been loving recently mixed in with possibly 'The Flash' for tone (I can see the tone being in-between 'Dead Boy Detectives' and the second live action Scooby Doo film). Why people are likening 'Scooby Doo' to 'Riverdale' is beyond me, the source material isn't even remotely the same.

The timing of the announcement was also released the weekend after 'Dead Boy Detectives' premiered, which should give a really clear vision of what the show will be the most akin to and likely (fingers crossed) indicates DBD had a solid reception for a second season. A critically beloved adaptation based on a team of supernatural detectives? Count me in.

Last edited:
Are you telling me a cult around a DnD like campaign isn't ripe for a modern Scooby Do? Fred fighting a bear?

Are you telling me a cult around a DnD like campaign isn't ripe for a modern Scooby Do? Fred fighting a bear?

That could easily fit. I meant more the romance aspects aren't going to be dialed up to eleven; that was one of the main features of the Archie source material whereas that isn't the case in Scooby Doo (thus, I highly doubt it will be here). There was bear fighting?

Bit ‘o trivia:

In his final book, Carl Sagan parenthetically mentioned — and praised — Scooby-Doo. Sagan was lamenting the state of popular entertainment which tended to invoke super- or paranormal plotlines. In the Scooby-Doo mysteries, by contrast, apparently supernatural phenomena were eventually revealed (via judicious sleuthing) to have rational explanations.

Of course, this describes the classic/original episodes. In later incarnations, the paranormal was fully embraced. Sagan, presumably, wouldn’t approve. ;)

I wonder which approach this new series will take.

For me it's the whole "drama" aspect of it. Why make it a drama at all? It's Scooby-Doo. Make it horror with some elements of comedy here and there.

For me it's the whole "drama" aspect of it. Why make it a drama at all? It's Scooby-Doo. Make it horror with some elements of comedy here and there.

I'm sure many people make the same mistake that you just did. Thus, I thought I would explain to clarify -

One-hour-drama is more a TV rather than genre term. It basically simply means that it isn't a sitcom.

The X-Files and Supernatural, for instance, are both defined as a one-hour-drama.

That is to say, it will more than likely be a horror show with some comedy thrown in here and there. Akin to 'Dead Boy Detectives.'

For instance:

“The Night Stalker” (one-hour drama, Thursday, 9:00 p.m., ET)"
Link: ABC Entertainment Outlines New 2005-06 Primetime Schedule - The Walt Disney Company

(It's near impossible to look up old articles on anything)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"