Locke & Key

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Kurtzman and Orci to Adapt Locke & Key

Source:Latino Review
February 5, 2010

Latino Review reports that Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci will produce a feature adaptation of IDW Publishing's "Locke & Key," written by Joe Hill and illustrated by Gabriel Rodriguez, at DreamWorks Studios.

"Locke & Key" tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them... and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all.

Locke & Key is a great comic book. Really creepy and rather disturbing. Joe Hill is also Stephen King's son, whose also a great writer. Check out Heart Shaped Box. It's a goody.

Hmm, to me this seemed like a series that would be better adapted as a premium cable drama or something. On the other hand, this way there is no problem with SFX budget.

EDIT: Wait, isn't Latino-Review that site that is always posting things that aren't actually true? Or did they just do that on that one thing?

Universal Pictures has been having a really good year and that's now showing by their willingness to jump in and save projects from other studios like the recent Dumb and Dumber sequel. That said, they're also looking ahead to new franchises and according to The Hollywood Reporter, they've now optioned the rights to Joe Hill's highly popular supernatural comic book series Locke & Key, published by IDW Publishing.

The project will be produced by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Bobby Cohen, who are having a strong summer sleeper hit with Now You See Me, through their Universal-based K/O Paper Products banner, along with Ted Adams, CEO and publisher of IDW Publishing.

It tells the the multi-generational stories of three siblings after the murder of their father which leads them to moving back into their ancestral home in Massachusetts which they discover has magical keys that give them special abilities even though others want to also get their hands on said keys.

The comics by Hill and artist Gabriel Rodriguez have led to multiple Eisner Awards nominations--Hill won an Eisner for his writing--as well as getting the graphic novel collections onto the New York Times bestseller list, which ultimately led to there being a lot of interest in Hollywood to adapt the graphic novels for a number of years.

Dimension Films previously owned the rights, which expired in 2010, and Kurtzman and Orci jumped in to possibly turn the comics into a television series, but it was held back by budget restrictions. Universal brings new hope for the feature film and a possible franchise if the initial film does well.

As it happens, Hill has supernatural fiction in his blood, being the son of noted horror author Stephen King, and having written his own novels Heart-Shaped Box and NOS4A2

Well, as long they aren't writing it, that's cool.

Albert Torres to Script Locke & Key Feature

Source: The Hollywood Reporter
July 10, 2014

Over a year ago it was revealed that writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci would be shepherding an adaptation of Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez�s comic series Locke & Key for the big screen and now The Hollywood Reporter brings word that writer Albert Torres will pen the big screen adaptation. Torres previously wrote the 2008 film Henry Poole Is Here and even scripted a draft of the live action Ben 10 feature film. Check back here for future updates on the film as we learn them.

The comic series, published from 2008 to 2013 over the course of six volumes, tells the story of the Locke family who travel to a place called Keyhouse, a New England mansion with fantastic keys that open up doors that give them incredible abilities. Though the building is also home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all.

SDCC '14: Joe Hill reveals Locke and Key being developed as a Trilogy at Universal!
Published at: July 25, 2014, 6:55 p.m. CST by quintShare On FacebookTwitter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...=1600103847&linkCode=xm2&tag=aintitcooln0b-20
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Real quick aside from Hall H, but Joe Hill just appeared on the Horns panel alongside Alex Aja and Daniel Radcliffe and dropped some info regarding Locke and Key, his really rad comic book.
You may remember that Fox made a Locke and Key pilot that was apparently really good (I missed it when it played at one of the past Comic-Cons), but Fox chose not to move it to series. Now it seesm to be moving from small to big screen.
Universal is currently adapting it, which I think might have been known already, but Hill dropped that they are planning a trilogy. He also said they have a script they like.
Yay! I love this series! Excited it's happening and I kind of love the concept of it going gothic and big. Now I have to get back to the Fox panel. Be back in a bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"