Long and SPOILER filled synopsis of Thor Ragnarok

What happened with Surtur was dumb and makes no sense. It's my only problem with the movie.

You're talking about what happens to him after he destroys Asgard?

Last edited:
I like to think that Surtur is not dead and that from now on he's just stuck floating amidst the ruins of Asgard with a dumb, satisfied grin on his face.

Last edited:
Hulk vs Thor, and the two "Immigrant Song" scenes.

That song made the first trailer awesome and then really amped up 2 big action scenes in the final film. Thank **** for Led Zep!

I like to think that Surtur is not dead and that from now on he's just stuck floating amidst the ruins of Asgard with a dumb, satisfied grin on his face.

I thought it was pretty interesting that at the start of the movie he notes he cannot die until he fulfills his purpose of destroying Asgard so yeah... I'd like to think he is still there, just drifting without a goal, but I do wonder what it does to him, the whole fulfilled prophecy thing.

Also it seems to me that the final confrontation between Surtur and Hela was actually a fight between two beings who both are incapable of dying because of Asgard. Pretty interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Also it seems to me that the final confrontation between Surtur and Hela was actually a fight between two beings who both are incapable of dying because of Asgard. Pretty interesting stuff.
yeah, I think that was intent for Surtur and Hela.

Saw it tonight (Netherlands). I think this movie is a big mixed bag. I'm really not sure what to think about it. I'd say 6/10. As usual, there are never any stakes in a Marvel movie. Even when freaking Asgard is destroyed, they manage to shake it off like it's just a minor inconvenience 'ah **** it, let's go to earth y'all'.

The movie had tons of funny moments, but is that the path you want to take in a movie where the end of everything is about to happen? I'm not sure. But I guess that's the very succesful Marvel formula, so what do I know?

Thor and Hulk as buddies also didn't really get off as you'd expect watching the trailer. Perhaps because the movie caught me off guard because it was very different from the trailers. Thor losing an eye for example...the amazing Odinforce Thor/Thor with lightning on the bridge shot in the trailer has it with both his eyes. That's also the case with the Hulk vs. Thor fight when they charge towards eachother: in the movie Thor does it with the lightning. The shot of Hulk, Thor, Valkyrie, and Loki on the bridge: ain't in the movie. Good marketing orrr?

But yeah, this movie will go to earn hundres of millions of dollars at the box office, I'm just not convinced. Same as Homecoming...It's been the same since Avengers.

So I have a sort of theory/perspective, Surtur was the true villain of this movie. Hela was just the antagonist/climax/linking verb. Think about this..

Movie is called Thor: Ragnarok. Opening scene is Thor speaking with Surtur, as Surtur tells him his destiny is to destroy Asgard, Ragnarok. Movie ends with him destroying Asgard, Ragnarok. I saw people saying the film title was decieving but that isn't true. Hela's scheme ends up leading to the release of Surtur and the fulfillment of Ragnarok.

So while Hela is the sort of Indirect catalyst, the film/story of the film is genuinly about the story and prophecy of Ragnarok/the destruction of Asgard by Surtur, especially since he defeats Hela, and is the ONLY character who wins. Pretty cool way of looking at.

So I have a sort of theory/perspective, Surtur was the true villain of this movie. Hela was just the antagonist/climax/linking verb. Think about this..

Movie is called Thor: Ragnarok. Opening scene is Thor speaking with Surtur, as Surtur tells him his destiny is to destroy Asgard, Ragnarok. Movie ends with him destroying Asgard, Ragnarok. I saw people saying the film title was decieving but that isn't true. Hela's scheme ends up leading to the release of Surtur and the fulfillment of Ragnarok.

So while Hela is the sort of Indirect catalyst, the film/story of the film is genuinly about the story and prophecy of Ragnarok/the destruction of Asgard by Surtur, especially since he defeats Hela, and is the ONLY character who wins. Pretty cool way of looking at.

Also I'm pretty sure Surtur says in the opening scene, very specifically, that Thor also causes Ragnarok. That both Thor and Surtur, together will bring Ragnarok. Even though Thor brushes this off, I really like that the prophecy and people saying 'it has already begun' ended up being true, I kinda hate it when evil prophecy's are just there for drama and always somehow get cancelled.

Yes. It also fulfills the idea of Thor being the cause of Asgard's fall shown in Age of Ultron. Ragnarok basically starts the moment Loki gets on the throne.

Disagree dude - which doesn't mean you're wrong, just that I see it differently.

The way I see it that Hela was still the real villain, and Surtur was just a tool to defeat her - hence the intentional bringing about of Ragnarok. While Surtur destroyed the planet, Hela would have wiped out its people, and who knows what else ? Her ambition was limitless, and was utterly ruthless, if she'd been able to stay on Asgard to power up and gain access to other realms via the Bifrost....scary thought.

I guess Surtur wins in a sense, but I more feel like he fulfilled his function more than anything else - he probably retired after that and found a nice volcano to set himself up in.

Anyway you look at it the movie was still awesome !

Hela certainly was the worse of the two, but I find that it's interesting that the only choice to defeat a villain is to let another villain win. There was no way to victory for the heroes, only different shades of defeat.

Lol.. so much for the "there can never be any depth and meaning to movies that are fun" theory. :)

Mjölnir;35881003 said:
Hela certainly was the worse of the two, but I find that it's interesting that the only choice to defeat a villain is to let another villain win. There was no way to victory for the heroes, only different shades of defeat.
Yeah, that's certainly not the usual formula or way things are done in CBMs.

Yeah, that's certainly not the usual formula or way things are done in CBMs.

So the villains really reached the entire spectrum. Hela lost, Surtur won, and the Grandmaster had a tie. :woot:

Mjölnir;35881095 said:
So the villains really reached the entire spectrum. Hela lost, Surtur won, and the Grandmaster had a tie. :woot:

I love the way he declared it a tie. :D

Mjölnir;35881003 said:
It was really cool and i felt a totally fresh and epic way of ending the movie. Like you said in the end it was about choosing the lesser of two evils and living with the consequences of that decision.

I love the way he declared it a tie. :D
The audacity of saying such a thing. :woot:

And i loved how he was annoyed with Topaz for calling the sakaarians slaves. Her response was funny. :woot:

Last edited:
It was really cool and i felt a totally fresh and epic way of ending the movie. Like you said in the end it was about choosing the lesser of two evils and living with the consequences of that decision.

The audacity of saying such a thing. :woot:

And i loved how he was annoyed with Topaz for calling the sakaarians slaves. Her response was funny. :woot:

Haha, yeah that was awesome too. All classic Goldblum.

Disagree dude - which doesn't mean you're wrong, just that I see it differently.

The way I see it that Hela was still the real villain, and Surtur was just a tool to defeat her - hence the intentional bringing about of Ragnarok. While Surtur destroyed the planet, Hela would have wiped out its people, and who knows what else ? Her ambition was limitless, and was utterly ruthless, if she'd been able to stay on Asgard to power up and gain access to other realms via the Bifrost....scary thought.

I guess Surtur wins in a sense, but I more feel like he fulfilled his function more than anything else - he probably retired after that and found a nice volcano to set himself up in.

Yes, but Ragnarok still happened

Yep, I agree with this. Prime Surtur is more powerful than Hela, but Hela is definitely presented as being the bigger threat to the Universe at whole, which is exactly why Thor went to the lengths of unleashing Surtur in the first place, in this context he was the lesser of two evils.

The whole reason for Surtur's existence, his destiny, is to destroy Asgard and bring about Ragnarok. Therefore, he's insanely powerful and dangerous but his scope is more of a 'localised' threat than Hela's. Her plan was to firstly conquer Asgard (which she did with ease), then the Nine Realms and then move on to the rest of the Cosmos. The longer she remains on Asgard the more powerful she gets, we saw how powerful she became after only spending a couple of days there, think of how powerful she could have eventually become. She would have become an Odin level powerhouse and easily could have moved from planet to planet, slaughtering and destroying whole civilisations.

If we're talking in terms of TV Tropes (which we should always do because it's awesome), Hela is the 'Big Bad', she's the cause of everything bad that's happening to the heroes and the catalyst for the main storyline. Surtur is a 'Greater Scope Villain' (kinda) and the Grandmaster is a 'Starter Villain' (kinda).

Yep, I agree with this. Prime Surtur is more powerful than Hela, but Hela is definitely presented as being the bigger threat to the Universe at whole, which is exactly why Thor went to the lengths of unleashing Surtur in the first place, in this context he was the lesser of two evils.

The whole reason for Surtur's existence, his destiny, is to destroy Asgard and bring about Ragnarok. Therefore, he's insanely powerful and dangerous but his scope is more of a 'localised' threat than Hela's. Her plan was to firstly conquer Asgard (which she did with ease), then the Nine Realms and then move on to the rest of the Cosmos. The longer she remains on Asgard the more powerful she gets, we saw how powerful she became after only spending a couple of days there, think of how powerful she could have eventually become. She would have become an Odin level powerhouse and easily could have moved from planet to planet, slaughtering and destroying whole civilisations.

If we're talking in terms of TV Tropes (which we should always do because it's awesome), Hela is the 'Big Bad', she's the cause of everything bad that's happening to the heroes and the catalyst for the main storyline. Surtur is a 'Greater Scope Villain' (kinda) and the Grandmaster is a 'Starter Villain' (kinda).
I don't think she grew that much powerful when she was on Asgard.

she was there for like a day or two.

I think she healed more or less.

she was imprisoned for a LONG time after all.

I don't think she grew that much powerful when she was on Asgard.

she was there for like a day or two.

I think she healed more or less.

she was imprisoned for a LONG time after all.

You may be right there, which indicates that she was already super powerful before her banishment (which yes, it sounds like she was), and her increasing in power in the film was merely her regaining her former strength. Considering she managed to destroy Mjolnir when she'd only just escaped shows how powerful she is.

You may be right there, which indicates that she was already super powerful before her banishment (which yes, it sounds like she was), and her increasing in power in the film was merely her regaining her former strength. Considering she managed to destroy Mjolnir when she'd only just escaped shows how powerful she is.

Mjolnir also used to be hers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"