Looks like Perfect Dark on XBLA is a go

Isildur´s Heir

Avenger
Reaction score
perfectxbla_1239210654.jpg

There are no accidents. At least, not when it comes to postings from Rare. That's why newly released screens from the beloved UK-based developer are causing a stir. Recently, Rare posted images of a new Banjo-Kazooie theme. Included in one of the images is the "My Xbox" blade for one of Rare's employees. Among the "Latest Games" listed is a fuzzy picture of Joanna Dark. This is not the icon that displays from playing Perfect Dark Zero.

The implication is that, like Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, the N64 version of Perfect Dark is headed to XBLA. The image is in no way confirmation of PD on XBLA. It could, as one editor noted, just be Rare "screwing with everyone.".

I´m not surprised.
It was bound to happen.
Which is great.
I believe that all Rare own games will be on XBLA sooner or later (so, no Donkey Kong and alike), even the ones when Rare was called Ultimate will (Jetpac is the only one so far)

I hope this is the true deal. PD is my favorite game of all-time, only rivaled by OOT. It's pretty much the best FPS I've ever played to this day. Technical limitations being the only downside.

But with a 360 port, 60 fps, enhanced hd graphics, multi-stick support....this would make a killing on XBLA. The features alone rival and even surpass modern-day shooters. Make it happen Rare. :up:

I'm going to hold out excitement until an official announcement is made.

Me too.

But, I won't be happy until Goldeneye gets on XBLA.

Oh, sweet dream of mine that will never come true.

If anything I see this as evidence of Perfect Dark 2. That image could be a temporary placeholder for whatever they'll use for Perfect Dark 2. But if it is indeed representative of the original Perfect Dark then I could see them readying a port of that in preperation for a "Reserve-Perfect-Dark-2-and-download-Perfect-Dark-for-free" type of promotion similar to what they did with Banjo Kazooie.

Either way, an HD port of Perfect Dark is about the only thing Perfect Dark related I can get excited about.

Perfect Dark Zero 2 is...probably not going to happen.

The XBLA of Perfect Dark, would probably do better as well.

But...I'd be offended if they held it ransom by forcing me to buy PDZ2.

Offended as I purchase it, and demand my XBLA game...

What if the next Perfect Dark game is Perfect Dark 2?

Perfect Dark Zero 2 is...probably not going to happen.
That, anyone can guarantee you that it will happen, PDZ 2 or PD 2 is a given, sooner or later.
It would be totally stupid of Microsoft and Rare not to do it.
So, Perfect Dark Zero wasn´t that great, big deal, it´s sad, but it´s not the end of the world or the reason to leave it alone.
I´ll tell you that i still haven´t played it (but i have it), but the game has a ranking of 81% on Metacritic, it can´t be that bad.
Besides, wouldn´t you love to see Joanna Dark once again?

No. Perfect Dark Zero is that bad. The only reason it's as high as 81 is because it was probably the best looking game that launched with the 360. No, I wouldn't want to see Joanna Dark again because in PDZ she's like a completely different character. They totally retconned her. Not to mention how archaic the gameplay is.

Who cares, her ass was gorgeous. :heart:

No, I wouldn't want to see Joanna Dark again because in PDZ she's like a completely different character. They totally retconned her. Not to mention how archaic the gameplay is.
Perfect Dark Zero, as you know, is a prequel, the "origin" of Joanna, so, it´s acceptable that she is "diferent" from Perfect Dark.
Maybe the next game, if it´s PDZ 2, we will see her mature, or whatever makes more in tune with Perfect Dark.

From what i gathered from Microsoft so far, they like epic characters and to create a "movie like franchise" (several games to tell a bigger story).
Master Chief, Marcus Fenix.....it would be stupid not to do the same to Joanna Dark, that´s why they made a prequel to PD and not a sequel.
The same goes to Star Ocean, from what i read, The Last Hope is some kind of remake or restart of the 1st, so, i wouldn´t be surprissed if MS´s idea is to restart the franchise.

Last edited:
Isildur´s Heir;16763537 said:
The same goes to Star Ocean, from what i read, The Last Hope is some kind of remake or restart of the 1st, so, i wouldn´t be surprissed if MS´s idea is to restart the franchise.

The Last Hope is a prequel to the original. It is also not owned in anyway by Microsoft so it's pretty doubtful they had any output on that at all, especially since the actual remake of the first, as well as the second, SO was just recently released on the PSP. All MS was probably throw some cash Square's way to get an exclusive release

Isildur´s Heir;16757790 said:
And you can thank Nintendo for that :mad: :mad:

Nintendo was incredibly stupid on that. If they let an HD remix of Goldeneye appear on XBLA, they probably would have gotten Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Killer Instinct, and more from Rare on the Virtual Console. They not only screwed over Xbox owners, but they also screwed their own owners IMO.

No. Perfect Dark Zero is that bad. The only reason it's as high as 81 is because it was probably the best looking game that launched with the 360. No, I wouldn't want to see Joanna Dark again because in PDZ she's like a completely different character. They totally retconned her. Not to mention how archaic the gameplay is.
So retcon PDZ. It's not that hard to do (art style reinvention for one), and I'm positive no one would complain.

PD has great potential as a franchise, especially if they amp up what was established within PD64. A futuristic sci-fi/spy/thriller/action/adventure/shooter title? C'mon. There's so much gold in there.

Either get Rare to do a massive restructure, or let another developer handle it. But dear god do not bury the hatchet because of a crap prequel that can easily be erased.

The Last Hope is a prequel to the original. It is also not owned in anyway by Microsoft so it's pretty doubtful they had any output on that at all, especially since the actual remake of the first, as well as the second, SO was just recently released on the PSP. All MS was probably throw some cash Square's way to get an exclusive release
I know that is not owned by Microsoft, but, just like Gears is an Epic Ip or Valkyria Chronicles is a Sega Ip; Star Ocean can very well became a 360 franchise.
Is not unheard-of, just look at Final Fantasy that went from Nintendo to the Playstation.
Of course, that´s just an assumption, i can very well be totally wrong, but that´s the only reason i see to make a prequel and not a sequel to the franchise.

Nintendo was incredibly stupid on that. If they let an HD remix of Goldeneye appear on XBLA, they probably would have gotten Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Killer Instinct, and more from Rare on the Virtual Console. They not only screwed over Xbox owners, but they also screwed their own owners IMO.
Rare and Microsoft were really up to it, they were totally willing to let Rare games go to the VC.
Nintendo lost some point with me after that day...

Isildur´s Heir;16766794 said:
I know that is not owned by Microsoft, but, just like Gears is an Epic Ip or Valkyria Chronicles is a Sega Ip; Star Ocean can very well became a 360 franchise.
Is not unheard-of, just look at Final Fantasy that went from Nintendo to the Playstation.
Of course, that´s just an assumption, i can very well be totally wrong, but that´s the only reason i see to make a prequel and not a sequel to the franchise.

Gears is a totally different situation, it was actually published and co-funded by MS and most likely they probably own some of that IP. Not sure where you're coming from with VC.

Plus, like I said, they literally just released remakes for the first two Star Ocean games on the PSP within the last year or two. That alone is pretty applying that this isn't on it's way for being a new MS franchise. Like I said, MS has probably just paid for a year exclusivity title like I'm sure they did with Tales and Eternal Sonata. I'm sure we'll be seeing a SO4 port to the PS3 within that timeframe, will be very, very surprised if we don't

I'm not seeing your logic really. Sure it's a prequel, but in no way has it been said or implied that this is suppose to be reboot for the series. Prequels happen without it meaning a reconstruction for the story, MGS3 is a good example.

Isildur´s Heir;16766797 said:
Rare and Microsoft were really up to it, they were totally willing to let Rare games go to the VC.
Nintendo lost some point with me after that day...

Same here.

Gears is a totally different situation, it was actually published and co-funded by MS and most likely they probably own some of that IP. Not sure where you're coming from with VC.
Microsoft published and probably gave some funding for Mass Effect but the IP is owned by Bioware which got bought out by Electronic Arts. Sony published and funded the original Crash and Spyro games but Universal owned the IPs and is now owned by Activision.

What he means is that Star Ocean could probably end up like Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, Ninja Gaiden, or Final Fantasy in which they are third party IPs but end up being considered PlayStation, Nintendo, or Xbox franchises anyways.

Plus, like I said, they literally just released remakes for the first two Star Ocean games on the PSP within the last year or two. That alone is pretty applying that this isn't on it's way for being a new MS franchise. Like I said, MS has probably just paid for a year exclusivity title like I'm sure they did with Tales and Eternal Sonata. I'm sure we'll be seeing a SO4 port to the PS3 within that timeframe, will be very, very surprised if we don't
Yeah, after Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia, the only way I see a JRPG ending up exclusive on the Xbox 360 is if Microsoft itself publishes it like with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey or owns the IP like Infinite Undiscovery.

Personally, I think a PlayStation 3 version of Star Ocean: The Last Hope is a given. Especially since Star Ocean: The Second Story and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time appeared on PlayStation consoles and the first two games got remakes on the PlayStation Portable.

Microsoft published and probably gave some funding for Mass Effect but the IP is owned by Bioware which got bought out by Electronic Arts. Sony published and funded the original Crash and Spyro games but Universal owned the IPs and is now owned by Activision.

Yeah, I know about those, but from what I have read Gears was as much a MS idea as an Epic idea, since they wanted another killer app-type of franchise outside Halo. So, that's always lead me to believe MS has a much larger hand in the IP itself.

True on Mass Effect, but that was simply publishing and light funding, it wasn't a joint operation, so to speak, between Bioware and MS it was just Bioware was like, 'Hey, we might like some dough.' and MS is like, 'Yeah, we got dough.' kind of thing.

I'm not 100% sure on it, but I believe MS has a similar sake in Gears as Halo, just not as much.

Good point on Spryo and Crash, but I always thought Sony just sold the IP for those when it became apparent no know really gave a **** about them anymore. We could see something similar with Gears or something 5-10 years down the road.

Yeah, after Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia, the only way I see a JRPG ending up exclusive on the Xbox 360 is if Microsoft itself publishes it like with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey or owns the IP like Infinite Undiscovery.

Personally, I think a PlayStation 3 version of Star Ocean: The Last Hope is a given. Especially since Star Ocean: The Second Story and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time appeared on PlayStation consoles and the first two games got remakes on the PlayStation Portable.

Ditto. Not to mention that SO is a franchise that's mostly popular in Japan anyway. I know MS is trying to bait the Japanese as much as possible, but I doubt Square is going to stop them from putting the game on the better choice for the region. Well, without a nice fat paycheck or something

Yeah, I know about those, but from what I have read Gears was as much a MS idea as an Epic idea, since they wanted another killer app-type of franchise outside Halo. So, that's always lead me to believe MS has a much larger hand in the IP itself.
Maybe

True on Mass Effect, but that was simply publishing and light funding, it wasn't a joint operation, so to speak, between Bioware and MS it was just Bioware was like, 'Hey, we might like some dough.' and MS is like, 'Yeah, we got dough.' kind of thing.
Oh.

I'm not 100% sure on it, but I believe MS has a similar sake in Gears as Halo, just not as much.
But Microsoft owns the Halo franchise outright.

Good point on Spryo and Crash, but I always thought Sony just sold the IP for those when it became apparent no know really gave a **** about them anymore. We could see something similar with Gears or something 5-10 years down the road.
Why would Sony sell the Spyro and Crash franchises? They were the mascots for the original PlayStation and were great games to boot. The Crash Bandicoot games were some of the PlayStation's best selling titles. They only started sucking when Vivendi decided to make them multiplatform and took them away from the original developers.

Honestly, I think that if Naughty Dog and Insomniac owned the IPs, they'd still be making games for Crash and Spyro with High Impact Games making PlayStation Portable entries for them.

Ditto. Not to mention that SO is a franchise that's mostly popular in Japan anyway. I know MS is trying to bait the Japanese as much as possible, but I doubt Square is going to stop them from putting the game on the better choice for the region. Well, without a nice fat paycheck or something[/quote]

Like I said, I'm not sure, but that's what I remember reading. Seems like it was an interview with Cliffy B. actually and they asked about the relationship between Epic and MS in the project. I could be mistaken on that, though, but I'm fairly sure I read something to that degree.

But Microsoft owns the Halo franchise outright.

They do? Bungie has no stock in Halo at all?

Why would Sony sell the Spyro and Crash franchises? They were the mascots for the original PlayStation and were great games to boot. The Crash Bandicoot games were some of the PlayStation's best selling titles. They only started sucking when Vivendi decided to make them multiplatform and took them away from the original developers.

Honestly, I think that if Naughty Dog and Insomniac owned the IPs, they'd still be making games for Crash and Spyro with High Impact Games making PlayStation Portable entries for them.

I had always assumed Sony just decided to sell them or something. I didn't know they were owned by someone else.

Like I said, I'm not sure, but that's what I remember reading. Seems like it was an interview with Cliffy B. actually and they asked about the relationship between Epic and MS in the project. I could be mistaken on that, though, but I'm fairly sure I read something to that degree.
Hmmm...maybe Gears of War is like Pokemon where Nintendo owns only a third of the IP.

They do? Bungie has no stock in Halo at all?
Microsoft took possession of the Halo IP when they bought Bungie. When Bungie became independent once more, they agreed to the terms that Microsoft would have a minority stake in the company (probably to ensure that they will remain exclusive developers for Microsoft) and that Microsoft would keep the Halo IP.

I had always assumed Sony just decided to sell them or something. I didn't know they were owned by someone else.
I have no idea why neither Sony, Naughty Dog, or Insomniac owned the Crash Bandicoot or Spyro the Dragon IPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"