• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mad Max: Fury Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

green

fear is the mind killer
Reaction score
http://www.httwww.cinematical.com/2007/03/14/mad-max-4-announced-mel-gibson-will-not-star/
Mad Max 4 Announced -- Mel Gibson Will Not Star!
Posted Mar 14th 2007 10:01AM by Ryan Stewart
Filed under: Action & Adventure, Drama, Casting, Deals, Fandom, Newsstand, Remakes and Sequels
Director George Miller has told the AAP two interesting things: Mad Max 4 is going to happen and Mel Gibson won't be the lead. Miller says frankly that Gibson is now too old and too 'focused on his own films' to reprise the role of Rockatansky, so instead he's going to try to recruit a new, young star for the lead. The AAP also notes that Miller began developing Mad Max 4 before production began on Happy Feet, and now that he's finished with that, he's turning his full attention to the project. "I have a few projects in the pipeline including an animation...but I want to do another Mad Max movie and get stuck back into that," Miller said. "It won't be Mel. He was 21 when he made the first one, now he's a lot older and his passion is for filmmaking and directing. I don't think he is into acting and I don't think he would be interested in being involved at all."

The amusing AAP story also has Miller claiming that he received good career advice from his fellow Aussies Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman -- to not get a big head after his Oscar success with Happy Feet. "I was warned not to inhale too much because you can take it a little too seriously," Miller said. "We didn't expect to win, but it was a good excuse to drink, party and to act like teenagers again." No further details were offered as to the timetables and plans for the Mad Max sequel, but my two cents is that Gibson should return if only for a small role. Is it really Mad Max without Mad Mel?

shame... it would have been awesome to see an old, worn out Max :(

I've said this before, but: No Mel, no Max :down

But it's probably just good for Mel if MM4 is gonna be the same shait as MM3.

Damn it, Miller, don't let the Oscar go to your head. Mel Gibson IS Mad Max!

road%20warrior.jpg

might as well make it a direct to DVD sequel. they're already making a bunch of those...

Hrm...without Mel it'd be hard to imagine anyone else in the role...BUT...if Mel doesn't want to do it...then I guess they could still give it a try...hard to find a worthy replacement though.

Uhhh...so its yet another reboot? Or a continution? Or what!? STUPID stupid idea. It's called Mad Max for a reason.

Base the movie around the the LEGEND of Mad Max. Maybe these distressed people need assistance, and they've heard the tale of the seemingly invinicible warrior Max, but no one knows if he's real or a fairy tale. So they set out to find him. Maybe he's become the bad guy, and they must stop HIM. He's crazy and gone all Col Kurtz and has an army of crazed desert rogues that he's using in his disillusioned idea of bringing back some form of government.

god... i would have loved to see an old Max fighting his last fight ...:(

Let me guess, Mr. Miller. . .

hugh_jackman_photo341.jpg

:dry:

Jackman would be pretty cool, actually! :o

Uhhh...so its yet another reboot? Or a continution? Or what!? STUPID stupid idea. It's called Mad Max for a reason.

Base the movie around the the LEGEND of Mad Max. Maybe these distressed people need assistance, and they've heard the tale of the seemingly invinicible warrior Max, but no one knows if he's real or a fairy tale. So they set out to find him. Maybe he's become the bad guy, and they must stop HIM. He's crazy and gone all Col Kurtz and has an army of crazed desert rogues that he's using in his disillusioned idea of bringing back some form of government.

Honestly, Mad Max 4 is kinda pointless. The only reason Miller wants to make it is because every moron complained about Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. If you look at the movie from a story POV it made perfect sense. Those little kids which people found annoying for some reason made perfect sense. They were the FUTURE of civilization. And, Max became their role model. He influenced the kids who'd be the future of this Earth. The only way I can see Mad Max 4 working is if there is some kind of threat to those kids who want to restore civilization and Max is the only one who can save them.

I'm glad gibson won't be in it. I am having trouble seeing past his personal life these days. Same goes with tom cruise. Both give me the creeps.
I wonder if its going to be a remake, or a fourth picking up where beyond thundercrap left off. either way I think I'll wait until this one comes to the 3 dollar theater.

Jackman would be pretty cool, actually! :o

Honestly, Mad Max 4 is kinda pointless. The only reason Miller wants to make it is because every moron complained about Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. If you look at the movie from a story POV it made perfect sense. Those little kids which people found annoying for some reason made perfect sense. They were the FUTURE of civilization. And, Max became their role model. He influenced the kids who'd be the future of this Earth. The only way I can see Mad Max 4 working is if there is some kind of threat to those kids who want to restore civilization and Max is the only one who can save them.

Hmm..Jackman COULD work.

I think the story should be about a robot that comes from the future to kill Max because he's going to lead humanity into a new future and so a MUCH older Max has to go back in time to stop the robot.

....what?

Well James Bond has had more than one actor play him over the years so it could work,I mean was Gibsons Max anymore iconic than Connery's Bond ? but nothing in the article says if any studios are interested just that Miller wants to do it.....also i am confident enough in my own sexuality to say that Hugh Jackman is one good looking dude:o:oldrazz:

Pretty sad when most the people in a thread on a comicbook fan messageboard are smarter and have better ideas about the movie than the Oscar winner who's making the movie.

:down

I'd like Tarantino doing one with old Mel Gibson stripped down, simple and Good, the Bad and the Ugly-ish.

Well James Bond has had more than one actor play him over the years so it could work

There is a difference. Actors who play James Bond are custodians of the role. Just like Chris Reeve was custodian of Superman. Mel Gibson is no custodian. He IS Mad Max. Just like Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones.

I mean was Gibsons Max anymore iconic than Connery's Bond?

In Australia. Remember this franchise is from Australia. It just happens to be popular in the U.S. as well. Just like the Clint Eastwood/Sergio Leone Dollars Trilogy are Italian films that just happen to be popular here.

but nothing in the article says if any studios are interested just that Miller wants to do it

The movie will probably be made with an Australian company and distributed by Warner Brothers who own distribution rights for Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome. Although MGM owns the original Mad Max. So, it should be interesting.

I'd like Tarantino doing one with old Mel Gibson stripped down, simple and Good, the Bad and the Ugly-ish.

Why in the blue hell would you put those two together.
It would be some LA themed, stripper, druggie, suckfest. Do you really want gibson to snort coke, say the n-bomb, and wear a gimp suit?

If Mad Max 4 sucks I'm blaming you.

It will, and feel free

- No Mel, No Max.
- Leave this franchise alone. It doesn't need to be resurrected. Mad Max and The Road Warrior are classics.
- No prequel.
- No remake. We have too many damn remakes.
- How are you going to have a Mad Max movie without it's main character.
- This is a stupid idea.

:whatever: :down

There is a difference. Actors who play James Bond are custodians of the role. Just like Chris Reeve was custodian of Superman. Mel Gibson is no custodian. He IS Mad Max. Just like Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones.

you base this view off the fact one is an adaption and the other is wqritten specifically for screen ?

In Australia. Remember this franchise is from Australia. It just happens to be popular in the U.S. as well. Just like the Clint Eastwood/Sergio Leone Dollars Trilogy are Italian films that just happen to be popular here.
anywhere in the world i'd say Connery's Bond is more iconic

Well James Bond has had more than one actor play him over the years so it could work,I mean was Gibsons Max anymore iconic than Connery's Bond ? but nothing in the article says if any studios are interested just that Miller wants to do it.....also i am confident enough in my own sexuality to say that Hugh Jackman is one good looking dude:o:oldrazz:

Bond is totally different. He's had so many books and so many stories. Back then, they felt that Bond movies every 2 years were necessary. Today, it ain't like that. Also, Mad Max 4 is only some way to get some extra money off of the character. It's not necessary to make another. Leave it as a trilogy with 2 great movies and 1 crappy one.

On the Hugh Jackman part, I agree. :dry:

Bond is totally different. He's had so many books and so many stories. Back then, they felt that Bond movies every 2 years were necessary. Today, it ain't like that. Also, Mad Max 4 is only some way to get some extra money off of the character. It's not necessary to make another. Leave it as a trilogy with 2 great movies and 1 crappy one.

Every time Bond has been replaced ppl have complained but over time each is accepted,should characters like Mad Max,Indy etc..just die out when the actor gets to old ? what if the man that actually created it still has stories to tell ? ppl are so quick to jump on these things they never wait to see what the full deal is.
for me it was one good movie and two crappy ones

Every time Bond has been replaced ppl have complained but over time each is accepted,should characters like Mad Max,Indy etc..just die out when the actor gets to old ? what if the man that actually created it still has stories to tell ? ppl are so quick to jump on these things they never wait to see what the full deal is.
for me it was one good movie and two crappy ones

Because Bond had many books to be adapted from. That's why he is different. Also, Indy, Rocky, Max, (etc.) shouldn't need to be recast because they aren't necessary. Bond was different because of EON felt that they needed to adapt every single Fleming book. That's why we had more than one Bond. We will always have at least one or two Bond films every decade (Instead of 4 or 5) because it has become a trend, and it only works for Bond.

Other characters such as Indy don't require recasts, as they are only there to cash in the money (You can say the same for Bond, but he has so many books that can be adapted as an excuse). Again, Bond is a trend in Hollywood. Recasts only really work for him. These characters remain standalone icons. Let them be. If they wanted to do a sequel to Raging Bull or Magnolia with a new cast reprising the same characters, you'd get mad, too.

Bond is very different from any other characters. Spider-Man, Batman and Superman are different. When Nolan's trilogy, Raimi's trilogy, and Singer's trilogy ends, we won't see another Batman, Spider-Man, or Superman for a VERY long time.

...that's just my 2 cents.

Because Bond had many books to be adapted from. That's why he is different. Also, Indy, Rocky, Max, (etc.) shouldn't need to be recast because they aren't necessary. Bond was different because of EON felt that they needed to adapt every single Fleming book. That's why we had more than one Bond. We will always have at least one or two Bond films every decade (Instead of 4 or 5) because it has become a trend, and it only works for Bond.

Other characters such as Indy don't require recasts, as they are only there to cash in the money (You can say the same for Bond, but he has so many books that can be adapted as an excuse). Again, Bond is a trend in Hollywood. Recasts only really work for him. These characters remain standalone icons. Let them be. If they wanted to do a sequel to Raging Bull or Magnolia with a new cast reprising the same characters, you'd get mad, too.

Bond is very different from any other characters. Spider-Man, Batman and Superman are different. When Nolan's trilogy, Raimi's trilogy, and Singer's trilogy ends, we won't see another Batman, Spider-Man, or Superman for a VERY long time.

...that's just my 2 cents.

I don't see them having books to adapt from as a viable argument,if a character is your creation and you create him for the screen then the stories you write for him are just as valid as a book only you(in this case Miller)are writing for the screen directly,he shouldn't have to stop telling stories about his character b/c an actor gets to old to play him IMO

If its a remake Sam Worthington has to play Max...

samworthington_wideweb__470x3120.jpg

He is soon to star in AVATAR and will definately be the next big Aussie star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"