Man of Steel 2 News and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's how I took Iceman's comment - certainly what I meant :up:

Tbh I thought so, glad to know for sure :D

Yeah. I also think if they're truly serious about doing a MOS sequel ,they should think of a smaller scale story than Doomsday and Steppenwolf.

In other words, it doesn't have to be an "end of the world" baddie ,nor should it be another " How would the world react if Superman were real?" plot.

We've seen how the world reacts, we've seen the world nearly end, we've seen him be killed.

Just tell us a story that's isolated in Metropolis with a formidable villain .

Agreed, that's why I think it would be cool to do a story where Superman has to take on the triple threat of Lex, Metallo and the Parasite. It's a huge task got him but not one that has global consequences.

On the BOF Vlog Mario Robles claims that WBs are in talks with Cavill over a new contract because they want to secure him as Superman for the foreseeable future.

That's nice. Cavill has a good head on his shoulders and while he definitely wants to be paid well, he's not demanding an exorbitant amount of money like the Marvel actors with contract expirations looming.

And suppose if WB announces a sequel in a month, when would we see it come out? (That's if they lock in a director and have a script finalized by 2019.) Mid 2020? Early 2021?

That's nice. Cavill has a good head on his shoulders and while he definitely wants to be paid well, he's not demanding an exorbitant amount of money like the Marvel actors with contract expirations looming.

And suppose if WB announces a sequel in a month, when would we see it come out? (That's if they lock in a director and have a script finalized by 2019.) Mid 2020? Early 2021?

If they secure the director before SDCC then 2020 would be possible

We have Shazam, (Joker movie?) and WW2 in 2019, Flash in 2020, Batgirl and Nightwing don't look like happening soon, and SS2 could be in 2019 or 2020 (not sure if the Jan pic of cast gymming is for SS2 or not), so definitely a gap for 2020 for Cavill, unless Reeves get his Batman in 2020 instead of 2021.

I mean how about Green Lantern Corps? You forgot to mention Green Lantern Corps and if Suicide Squad 2 is happening in 2019 or 2020 then it would make sense for Superman's film to come out in 2021 or 2022 at the latest. 2022 actually seems more reasonable for a Supes film than 2021.

The slate is not set in stone and is very fluid. Films move back and fourth depending where they are in the creative process.

I would love MOS 2 to come out by 2020 but I'm not holding my breath. We may get some circumstantial evidence when a few directors make the rounds promoting their summer movies. Same thing with Cavill when he promotes MI in late July. Simply announcing MOS 2 at CC wouldn't do much for me. We've seen it doesn't hold any real weight. You really need a creative team by the end of the summer. Otherwise, it further indicates the sequel isn't a priority.

Which is unfortunate because, coupled with the masses apparently now getting the Superman that they wanted with Justice League, not to mention Cavill's enthusiasm for the role, it's high time that there was a follow-up to Man of Steel.

Or at the very least have either him or Clark pop up in a situation where it suits the storyline, like Billy possibly looking up to Superman in Shazam. But then, who knows if that would ever happen?

Here is why I'm skeptical. Back in August of 2016 there was a report that MOS 2 was in active development. Soon after there was an article on Henry's manager with the reference of developing a Superman standalone and a statement by Amy making it sound like the script was being written.

I'm not an entertainment scooper but I do know someone at WB that I trust greatly and ask them about it at the time. They told me MOS 2 wasn't happening. There was no script. No nothing and they had many other projects in the pipeline.

I ask them about it again several times in the past year. Things briefly picked back up---I'm guessing a discussion with Vaughn though I was not told. Then I was told in June that there wasn't any movement on the project. Still no script and not to expect anything. Time and again in the past year I was given the impression any momentum for MOS 2 was gone and it needed a director to choose it as a project for it to pick up steam again rather than the studio actively trying to push it forward.

Robles reported a while back that Superman tested well in the JL screening and they wanted to do MOS 2 and were ready to announce it in Jan but pushed it back thanks to JL failure and perhaps some other circumstances such as logistics with contracts, etc. I don't know. I haven't spoken to anyone in a while and the last impression was that it was stalled and in limbo. So I feel like it can go either way right now. We can wake up and get an announcement on something big like a director or it might just slowly fade and die out the way of Superman Returns sequel. I have no idea anymore.

That's a shame if that's the case. So just a lack of faith on the part of the studio? There are plenty of fans who want it. Maybe the studio don't have trust in his general appeal any more.

They told me they still believe in the character but they might just have said that to make me feel better. I'm not saying MOS 2 is not going to happen. I'm just telling you why I'm skeptical based on what I was told in the past. Things change and anything is possible going forward. Both good and bad.

They need to announce the film and the director imo. If they just announce the film I’ll be happy but also I’ll be thinking that doesn’t really mean much.

They ****ed up by not using DCAU style Brainiac for MOS. He’s the perfect villain for a Superman origin. Lex should’ve had a small role in MOS as well.

They dropped the ball. Now we won’t get a Superman sequel. All we ever wanted was Brainiac. Anyone else is just extra

They told me they still believe in the character but they might just have said that to make me feel better. I'm not saying MOS 2 is not going to happen. I'm just telling you why I'm skeptical based on what I was told in the past. Things change and anything is possible going forward. Both good and bad.

Ya it's impossible to predict any more, all this back and forth.

They ****ed up by not using DCAU style Brainiac for MOS. He’s the perfect villain for a Superman origin. Lex should’ve had a small role in MOS as well.

They dropped the ball. Now we won’t get a Superman sequel. All we ever wanted was Brainiac. Anyone else is just extra

Go watch the Krypton show? :oldrazz:

I mean how about Green Lantern Corps? You forgot to mention Green Lantern Corps and if Suicide Squad 2 is happening in 2019 or 2020 then it would make sense for Superman's film to come out in 2021 or 2022 at the latest. 2022 actually seems more reasonable for a Supes film than 2021.

First of all, you still think Shazam might not be filmed??

Secondly, what's your source on GLC? Can you provide a legit source regarding GLC?

Third, what's your rationale for 2022? I'd LOVE to hear it from you

That version worked specifically for that show. Something more akin to what they’re doing on the Krypton show that’s straight outta Geoff Johns comics makes more sense.

In regards to MOS I understand if you don’t like the execution but using Zod in that story is more personal for Superman. So that actually makes more sense IMO.

I will say the even as someone who loves Man of Steel I’d have made some different choices. Both Lex and Jimmy would have been a part of that film.

That version worked specifically for that show. Something more akin to what they’re doing on the Krypton show that’s straight outta Geoff Johns comics makes more sense.

In regards to MOS I understand if you don’t like the execution but using Zod in that story is more personal for Superman. So that actually makes more sense IMO.

I will say the even as someone who loves Man of Steel I’d have made some different choices. Both Lex and Jimmy would have been a part of that film.

Zod isn't more personal than DCAU Brainiac though.

I disagree. DCAU Brainiac elevated the character in the same way that DCAU Mister Freeze did.

Yeah I enjoy MOS as well, but I would've made some massive changes. That movie only works if you are 100% going to do a full on sequel without Batman or Wonder Woman. They were setting themselves up to basically do The Dark Knight for Superman with the sequel, but instead we got BvS.

I bet the villains of the sequel would've been Lex and Metallo. I wish it could've happened instead of rushing BVS.

Zod isn't more personal than DCAU Brainiac though.

I disagree. DCAU Brainiac elevated the character in the same way that DCAU Mister Freeze did.

Yeah I enjoy MOS as well, but I would've made some massive changes. That movie only works if you are 100% going to do a full on sequel without Batman or Wonder Woman. They were setting themselves up to basically do The Dark Knight for Superman with the sequel, but instead we got BvS.

I bet the villains of the sequel would've been Lex and Metallo. I wish it could've happened instead of rushing BVS.

It’s about as personal, Zod maybe more so cause he kills Jor El in MOS. I love DCAU Brainiac but he’s DCAU Brainiac and world in that version. I don’t disagree that those versions elevated those characters but simply adapting that in live action I don’t think would be as good. An approach like Geoff Johns Brainiac is the way to do for live action IMO.

They should have done that, they panicked and I don’t get why. They didn’t panic after Batman Begins did they?

I guess I just think Zod is boring. Love Stamp’s performance but I didn’t need to ever see him in a movie again. It’s just the same frickin villains in Superman movies over and over.

Of all the Superman origin stories I’ve seen/read, DCAU’s is my favorite, and Brainiac is a big part of that. I prefer that take because it’s more personal than the classic version. In the DCAU, they’re pretty much both the last sons of Krypton. I prefer Brainiac being a true AI as well, it’s way more in line with the character than the slightly more organic body in the comics.

I’m glad we didn’t see Brainiac from Snyder. He probably would’ve been sh***y CGI like Doomsday or Steppenwolf. I’m glad that the Krypton show was forced to use makeup. Their Brainiac looks sweet

I wish Nolan would’ve had total creative control over Man of Steel. I bet the character wouldn’t be in limbo like he is now

I guess I just think Zod is boring. Love Stamp’s performance but I didn’t need to ever see him in a movie again. It’s just the same frickin villains in Superman movies over and over.

Of all the Superman origin stories I’ve seen/read, DCAU’s is my favorite, and Brainiac is a big part of that. I prefer that take because it’s more personal than the classic version. In the DCAU, they’re pretty much both the last sons of Krypton. I prefer Brainiac being a true AI as well, it’s way more in line with the character than the slightly more organic body in the comics.

I’m glad we didn’t see Brainiac from Snyder. He probably would’ve been sh***y CGI like Doomsday or Steppenwolf. I’m glad that the Krypton show was forced to use makeup. Their Brainiac looks sweet

I wish Nolan would’ve had total creative control over Man of Steel. I bet the character wouldn’t be in limbo like he is now

It’s my favourite too but I personally don’t want to see it repurposed in live action. Take elements if it serves the story but don’t directly adapt it into live action.

DC really needs to stop with the CGI villains. Look at Brainiac on Krypton that would be perfect for a movie as it is.

I actually don’t think he’d have made a difference tbh. Only difference would have been Superman wouldn’t haven’t killed Zod.

It’s my favourite too but I personally don’t want to see it repurposed in live action. Take elements if it serves the story but don’t directly adapt it into live action.

DC really needs to stop with the CGI villains. Look at Brainiac on Krypton that would be perfect for a movie as it is.

I actually don’t think he’d have made a difference tbh. Only difference would have been Superman wouldn’t haven’t killed Zod.

I think Zod worked for the particular story they were telling. I actually believe MOS’s real problem was in just adapting Donner’s version of his background and making him an itinerant worker. Something more akin to Birthright, with Clark traveling the world as a journalist, might have been more interesting.

As for Brainiac, I think he works more as a villain set up in the first film and then brought in later, as the ultimate villain. I think Brainiac has the sort of richness that you don’t get in an origin film.

Also, I agree on the CGI thing, which is why I think any future Superman film should focus on Metropolis and more physically-rendered villains.

I think Zod worked for the particular story they were telling. I actually believe MOS’s real problem was in just adapting Donner’s version of his background and making him an itinerant worker. Something more akin to Birthright, with Clark traveling the world as a journalist, might have been more interesting.

You're confusing me. There is no version of Clark's background in the Donner film to adapt: he's a teenager, his father dies, and then he travels to the Fortress. MoS didn't adapt anything from Donner. MoS, by making Clark an itinerant worker, is actually closer to the Birthright version than it is to the Donner version. The Donner version centers on Clark going from child to adult, from someone unheroic to heroic, as a direct result of interacting with his biological father's AI. The Birthright and MoS versions, on the other hand, have Clark engage in secret acts of heroism, meeting people along the way, which culminates in a decision to become Superman. Birthright differs from MoS in only two key ways: Clark travels as a journalist rather than taking on different jobs, and Clark learns of his Kryptonian heritage after he becomes Superman.

Doesn't seem like anything is set in stone at all for a Superman sequel.

You're confusing me. There is no version of Clark's background in the Donner film to adapt: he's a teenager, his father dies, and then he travels to the Fortress. MoS didn't adapt anything from Donner. MoS, by making Clark an itinerant worker, is actually closer to the Birthright version than it is to the Donner version. The Donner version centers on Clark going from child to adult, from someone unheroic to heroic, as a direct result of interacting with his biological father's AI. The Birthright and MoS versions, on the other hand, have Clark engage in secret acts of heroism, meeting people along the way, which culminates in a decision to become Superman. Birthright differs from MoS in only two key ways: Clark travels as a journalist rather than taking on different jobs, and Clark learns of his Kryptonian heritage after he becomes Superman.

I’m talking about the scenes paralleling the vignettes we got as flashbacks for MOS, and the general fact that Clark doesn’t really start becoming Clark or Superman until he encounters Jor-El. Get out of defensive mode for a moment please. I’m just saying that a more active first act present-day plot, and one involving Clark being a journalist, would have been more interesting in my view.

The character we know is both reporter and superhero. What I meant by Clark as journalist in Birthright is the fact that 1) he is actually doing the work of a journalist from the start of the story and 2) he is involved in some sort of plot before becoming Superman.

On #1, Man of Steel gets through roughly half the film before he becomes Superman or does anything significant as Superman, which is fine, but we also don’t see that other half of what defines the character. In BvS we get a tiny glimpse of it. Sure, Clark as reporter has never been as prominent a feature of the character as Superman or his Smallville roots, but Metropolis and the Daily Planet’s reporters play the predominant supporting role for a vast majority of his stories. And for a franchise that quickly moves to introducing Batman and the Justice League, having a bit more of that development up front would have been nice, and I think could have worked better.

On #2, at least a third of the film goes by in which, in the present day, Clark rescues an oil rig crew, wanders to a Canadian bar, trashes a guy’s truck when he can’t fully defend a harassed coworker, and then ends up at the scout ship site. In the middle of all that are flashbacks that help define who Clark is and his central struggle in this film, but it doesn’t line up as well as in, say, BB, with what happens in the present. I think the actual balance is like, less than 10 min of present day and about 20 of flashbacks, which to me says that they should have told this as a straightforward story. But do that, and you essentially end up with a more interesting, less idyllic take on his upbringing than in Donner’s film. Between the backstory and the scout ship, we see Clark do two things (help some people and fail to help a person). I’m saying that something like the situation in which Birthright has Clark at the beginning might have been more exciting. And obviously I’m talking about a different focus for his origin story than the question of to help or not to help.

If a future Superman film happens, I’d definitely like to see a Metropolis-based story that has more involvement for the DP supporting characters and for Superman (I think BvS could have been that if it had fewer but meatier plot threads).

Doesn't seem like anything is set in stone at all for a Superman sequel.

Unfortunately not, but I’m not at all surprised. Not enough people turned out to see JL, so whatever supposed positive reactions this Superman had don’t really matter. And unfortunately WB doesn’t really have anyone to argue for prioritizing Superman.

Last edited:
There’s a lot of presumptions when it comes to Superman. Just because we aren’t hearing anything does not mean that nothing is happening.

I’m talking about the scenes paralleling the vignettes we got as flashbacks for MOS, and the general fact that Clark doesn’t really start becoming Clark or Superman until he encounters Jor-El. Get out of defensive mode for a moment please. I’m just saying that a more active first act present-day plot, and one involving Clark being a journalist, would have been more interesting in my view.

No, you don't get critique my response when none of what you just wrote was included in your original comment. You said nothing about wanting a "more active first act present-day plot." You just said "I actually believe MOS’s real problem was in just adapting Donner’s version of his background and making him an itinerant worker. Something more akin to Birthright, with Clark traveling the world as a journalist, might have been more interesting." With your use of "just" you reduced what MoS did to a repeat of Donner when the only similarity is the function of Jor-El as a catalyst; even there Jor-El doesn't train Kal as he did in Donner for years. Yet, even in Birthright, young Clark has access to tech that gets him interested in his Kryptonian heritage before he becomes Superman. All I said was that your comment confused me. That's not me getting defensive or attacking. It's me trying to understand what you're saying. So, thank you for the clarification, but no thank you for the attitude.

The character we know is both reporter and superhero. What I meant by Clark as journalist in Birthright is the fact that 1) he is actually doing the work of a journalist from the start of the story and 2) he is involved in some sort of plot before becoming Superman.

While I agree it would have been nice if Clark was a journalist, the effect is still the same: he is someone who has traveled the world, met and grown from his interactions with regular people, and gained a reputation as a mysterious savior. MoS tells the story of how Clark finds himself as a journalist, as inspired by Lois and necessity, while Birthright doesn't go into depth about why journalism; he just does it.

On #1, Man of Steel gets through roughly half the film before he becomes Superman or does anything significant as Superman, which is fine, but we also don’t see that other half of what defines the character. In BvS we get a tiny glimpse of it. Sure, Clark as reporter has never been as prominent a feature of the character as Superman or his Smallville roots, but Metropolis and the Daily Planet’s reporters play the predominant supporting role for a vast majority of his stories. And for a franchise that quickly moves to introducing Batman and the Justice League, having a bit more of that development up front would have been nice, and I think could have worked better.

The glimpse of Clark as reporter is not "tiny," and it was the most substantial use and development of his reporter persona ever in live action aside from Cain's in Lois & Clark. I can agree that having that incorporated into his origin would have enhanced it in MoS, but I don't agree that BvS underused it so much so that it is worthy of being called "a glimpse" when it was proportionate or superior in its presence compared to most Superman media and played an important role in the plot.

If a future Superman film happens, I’d definitely like to see a Metropolis-based story that has more involvement for the DP supporting characters and for Superman.

I'd like that too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"