Manhunt

Isildur´s Heir

Avenger
Reaction score
Besides me, who is hyped for this game?
It looks great.

manhunt_103003_8.jpg

manhunt_103003_7.jpg

A violent action game from Rockstar, Manhunt is the story of James Earl Cash, a man previously thought dead who wakes up in a town (Carcer City) filled with deadly gangs. Guided only by the whispers of a man named "The Director" through his ear piece, Cash must find whatever he can to survive the night.

manhunt_202403_01med.jpg

manhunt_202403_01.jpg

The game is designed as a freaky exercise in survival skills -- listening, watching and tracking enemies' movements. And more importantly, using your skills to survive and counter each of the specialized gangs you encounter.
He can stick to a wall and peak around a corner, a la MGS, and he can arm himself and pop out from behind a corner and shoot, too

manhunt_103003_4med.jpg

manhunt_103003_1med.jpg

To aid in your death toll, players are given several tools. On the screens is a RADAR icon, which indicates the movement of gang members. It conveys enemy movement using arrows in three colors, yellow, orange and red. To create a sense of skill in the game, Rockstar's radar hones in on aural movement, kind of like a bat uses echolocation. If an enemy moves, he is shown on-screen in yellow. If he hears Cash's movement, his arrow will turn orange, meaning he suspects something and is investigating the location from which the sound originated. If he hears and sees you, he turns red. Which means you can turn to face him or run.
In this game, you might be able to confront the enemy in the beginning levels, but a few levels in, that's just a bad idea. The coolest part of the radar is that the enemies don't always appear on screen. If they stop moving, they disappear. Thus, Cash won't always be able to locate every enemy. Which is why you have to move like a shadow, brother.

Rockstar hasn't revealed all that much about the game. Just like with Grand Theft Auto, it wants you to discover the experience on your own. Having said that, it's clear the game becomes far more intense and more strategic as it opens up.

The simple one-off weapons you begin with, shards of glass, bags to suffocate, and wire, aren't so useful when, say, Cash encounters a later-level gang like the Wardogs. In the level against this intense, ex-militia group of man hunters, players learn more about their overall situation. In a cutscene, Cash sneaks into a room and meets Ramirez, the Director's manager, the hunt leader, so to speak. He strips Cash of his weapons, beats on him and then throws him out into the area -- to be hunted by his own personal gang, armed with rifles, machetes, and sniper rifles. This brutal level requires sharp skills, to be sure, especially with regard to learning its geography, and being able to keenly draw off a single gang member at a time. If done well, Cash can then use the enemy weapons and avoid the snipers hidden on the rooftops.

Later in the game, Cash learns from an ambitious female reporter more about what's going on. She's uncovered a small sample of Starkweather's plans. She attended your execution and watched you "die" in the chamber. But now she knows you're alive. If she can get video footage -- and testimony -- from you, she may be able to expose the snuff film ring -- and launch her career. Is she your friend? Or is she simply using you as a tool? In any case, you meet up with her and agree to try and bust the whole operation wide open. The story is far more interesting that we first expected.

manhunt_103003_6med.jpg

manhunt_103003_2.jpg

In short, Manhunt is game of instincts, cunning, and quiet patient death. Yours or theirs. But either way, it's going to happen. It's a single-player encounter with brutal gangs that hunt you down, using sound as their guide and fueled by the lust for money, blood, the "high" of it, or the pure sport of it, you're the hunted. The question is, are you ready for it? More than anything, Manhunt is a tense, nerve-wracking experience filled with beatings and gruesome deaths. Definitely an M-rated game

hey heir
awesome pics
ive seen a couple of videos
this game will own!

WTF!
One of the best game coming out this month, and besides Gamera, no one cares :eek:

Dood,this game looks so freakin' cool!!:D Leave it to Rockstar to create amazing games.:up:

There have been several threads on this game, I think I made a few, nobody ever responded. :(

It's like GTA3 I think, there was no excitement, then BOOM, it hit and was incredibly popular.

Originally posted by Dontreadthis
Smells like State of Emergency to me

Suuuuuuuure it does.
If it was for Xbox, it would be a kick ass game...the best to came out before Fable

I never played State of Emergency, but the reviews are not that bad

Originally posted by Isildur´s Heir
Suuuuuuuure it does.
If it was for Xbox, it would be a kick ass game...the best to came out before Fable

I never played State of Emergency, but the reviews are not that bad
No, if it were for Xbox, the way state of emergency is for example, it would still smell like SOE to me, that is to say, another bad game that simply rides the wave of hype that GTA unjustly got.

Originally posted by Dontreadthis
No, if it were for Xbox, the way state of emergency is for example, it would still smell like SOE to me, that is to say, another bad game that simply rides the wave of hype that GTA unjustly got.

You are saying that GTA got an unjustly hype :eek:
That GTA is bad???? :eek:
The game deserves every bit of hype it got.
The game is amazing

Let me guess, you don´t like Rockstar?

I'm gonna wait on some reviews and a rental before I pick this up. I don't know, but it definitely has a SOE kinda look to it....that's not good.

"....that GTA unjustly got."

Yeah, you are kind of heading in to murky waters if you are going to try and oppose that game....

Even The Ravager doesn't like GTA, so don't think that DRT's statement is worth a... manhunt!

Pun intended, considering the source material.

And yes, I know it sucked, just... just let it go.

This game looks absolutely nothing like SOE.

SOE was developed by a different branch of Rockstar I think, and Manhunt is by the GTA branch.

Originally posted by Isildur´s Heir
You are saying that GTA got an unjustly hype :eek:
That GTA is bad???? :eek:
The game deserves every bit of hype it got.
The game is amazing

Let me guess, you don´t like Rockstar?

It did unjustly get that hype. It wasn't the first open-ended game, it wasn't the first based on being a "bad boy", the only reason it got so much popularity was because of the "gangsta" mentallity that has swept the country. Mafia was a much better game IMO as in True Crime. Vice City is nothing more than a MOD to GTA as well, it certainly didn't need those reviews it got in my opinion.

To each his own though, I'm not telling you it wasn't good, I just didn't like it.

I ACTUALLY ENJOYED DRIVER ON PS1 MORE THAN GTA3. I THINK DRIVER 3 FOR XBOX WILL BE A BETTER GAME. FOR NOW, I'LL TAKE TRUE CRIME:SOLA OVER GTA 3, SIMPLY BECAUSE IT HAS MORE DEPTH.

Driver was one of my most favorite games ever! Reflections pulled off a great game that was way ahead of it's time, and made everything work perfectly.

I hope Driver 3 has cool cities.

Manhunt seems interesting, I got a cousin whose just friggin in love with the damned game. I'd check it out but I've gotta divide my money properly between True Crime, Prince of Persia, and Max Payne 2.

Originally posted by THWIP*
I ACTUALLY ENJOYED DRIVER ON PS1 MORE THAN GTA3. I THINK DRIVER 3 FOR XBOX WILL BE A BETTER GAME. FOR NOW, I'LL TAKE TRUE CRIME:SOLA OVER GTA 3, SIMPLY BECAUSE IT HAS MORE DEPTH.

Driver 3

Originally posted by The Sperminator
Yeah, but wait untill the next GTA comes out in '04.
If it's anything like Vice City, all I have to do is pop in GTA III and pick some songs from a new decade and I'll have GTA4 a full year before any of you.

Oh I wouldnt worry about that, that is if Rockstar is able to pull off all the amazing stuff they're promising.

Originally posted by The Sperminator
Oh I wouldnt worry about that, that is if Rockstar is able to pull off all the amazing stuff they're promising.

Such as?

Does anyone know if this will have Xbox Live play? There's rumors running rampant.

241923.jpg

But this says otherwise. Did Rockstar ever figure out multiplayer? They kind of gave it up in GTA3.

I don't think manhunt will have online play. Just doesn't seem like a game that would be played on line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"